• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedKnight7

Captain
2 Badges
Jan 3, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III
  • 500k Club
Hi folks,

I see on the main screen I have v.1.7.0 (f2a1). The sticky here says 1.7.3 is the latest. I don't see a way to update, in the game or on Steam. Steam is set to always update automatically.

How does one update it?

Also: will it make my current game unplayable?

If it matters, I just have plain vanilla unmodded EU4, downloaded from Steam two months ago.

Thanks!

As being said, it should be automatic, although you can try a few options:
- Try closing Steam and opening it again, if you usually don't reboot your computer (mine can wait weeks between reboots) maybe you have a update of steam.
- Check if you have a beta enabled. If that's the case maybe it is keeping your game from updating.
- Copy the folder inside "YourDocuments/Paradox" to a backup folder, delete the game and reinstall. It will retrieve the latest version. Inside the backup folder you have a "save" folder, copy it again to the Paradox folder, you will be able to continue your games. If you play Ironman you don't have to worry about them, as they're on the cloud.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As being said, it should be automatic, although you can try a few options:
- Try closing Steam and opening it again, if you usually don't reboot your computer (mine can wait weeks between reboots) maybe you have a update of steam.
- Check if you have a beta enabled. If that's the case maybe it is keeping your game from updating.
- Copy the folder inside "YourDocuments/Paradox" to a backup folder, delete the game and reinstall. It will retrieve the latest version. Inside the backup folder you have a "save" folder, copy it again to the Paradox folder, you will be able to continue your games. If you play Ironman you don't have to worry about them, as they're on the cloud.
No need to backup the paradox folder, since no game files are there; it is enough to just delete the game folders under steam---or perhaps even just let Steam uninstall the game and then reinstall it.

I would try verify integrity first, since that ought to notice you don't have the newest patch.

I would try verify integrity first, since that ought to notice you don't have the newest patch.
Thanks... The Integrity check didn't find a problem, but got me looking at my Steam settings for the game....

I had Auto Updates = On, but below that, had turned Background Downloads = Global Setting (Stopped).

Background Downloads says, "While playing EU4, should Steam be allowed to download other games or applications?" I am trying to save bandwidth b/c we often test Comcast's 300 GB/month limit, so I had that off. I don't want to keep dozens of other Steam games updated when my style is to play one game in marathon style (weeks or months), and never play many games again once I've moved on, shrug.

Anyway, once I set it on, nothing happened that I could tell. But when I re-tried EU4, voila, it's 1.7.3.

Does this sound right to you folks - does "Background Download for other games" affect EU4 itself? (This is the Background Download setting for EU4, in its Steam Properties.)

Thanks!!!

You can also try selecting one of the betas. If you then disable that beta, steam will revert your game to "normal" state - it should update it in the process.

"Download in backgroun" has nothing to do with updates. If it was the things that prevented Steam from updating the game, you would see EU4 in the "Downloading" window as paused.

Ok, thanks stilgarpl... I'm not sure what I did, but something right around there worked... maybe it was the Integrity check, but the patch was very small and I simply didn't even see it? I have 55 Mbps download rate which is pretty fast, but still, most anything gives at least a little indication of activity...

Anyway, this is still far far better than being entirely clueless... not able to update or even know if, for some reason, I'm not even supposed to be

Thanks, all! I'm good, and know what to tinker with, if it seems to happen again. You rock!

Ok, thanks stilgarpl... I'm not sure what I did, but something right around there worked... maybe it was the Integrity check, but the patch was very small and I simply didn't even see it? I have 55 Mbps download rate which is pretty fast, but still, most anything gives at least a little indication of activity...

Anyway, this is still far far better than being entirely clueless... not able to update or even know if, for some reason, I'm not even supposed to be

Thanks, all! I'm good, and know what to tinker with, if it seems to happen again. You rock!
The only way to see steam is downloading something is to look at the game name in your library, where there is a percentage while downloading takes place, or to look at the bottom where it will say x things were downloaded. I indeed believe the hotfixes weren't that big, so if you didn't look at the bottom of the steam client you may very well have missed it, since the percentage would have been gone in no time.

Also if it happens again and everything else fails then let steam uninstall the game and have it installed again; otherwise to save bandwidth you could start trying modding some game files and then verifying integrity. The game will have to download something, since some files are 'corrupted'; perhaps that will make it upgrade.