• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

patham

Sergeant
46 Badges
Mar 19, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines
Holland's history recovered!

First AAR for me, been wanting to write one ever since I first learned that there are AARs. :)

The game, with Holland, has already been played out fully, the AAR however shall only concern the period from 1399 to 1780.

The game was played on vanilla IN 3.1 with no mods. Very hard difficulty setting, high AI agressiveness and lucky nations set to on. Initial objectives were to form the Netherlands and to colonise quite a bit, you'll have to read the AAR to see how these came or did not come to be.

I shall mostly try telling a story to the best of my writing abilities, while also occasionally including gameplay information in seperate posts.

Table of Contents

Prologue - An exceptional find

The Graaf Chronicles

Foreword

Part One - First steps

Chapter One - Johann Graaf, merchant
Chapter Two - Louis Graaf, shady character
Chapter Three - Johann Graaf, king
Chapter Four - Pieter Graaf, carpenter
Chapter Five - Thomas Graaf, the butcher of Antwerpen
Chapter Six - Pieter Graaf, sheriff

Last edited:
Exceptional historical documents found!

Vlaanderen Post, special edition, Sunday, 15th of August 1993

The night of the 1st of May 1780 shall forever live on as the blackest day of our history, the day when our history was lost. The catastrophic inferno that engulfed the Amsterdam Republican Archives and the nearby building of the Western Colonial Company had destroyed many irreplaceable documents, including the Proclamation of the Republic by Queen Jakoba I, the Charter for the Western Colonial Company, signed by Eberhard Goes and Holland's copy of the historic French-Holland alliance.

Along with them almost four hundred years of history went up in flames. While every effort was made to preserve and write down as much as historians of the time remembered, decades later it was difficult to find a consensus on whether it had been Vestbygden or Eiriksfjord which had been settled first by Hollander settlers and the dates of battles and further colonisations towards the west were equally muddled.

Now however there has been a ray of hope. Ruud Graaf, 89, and a veteran of the Great Golden Horde War, delivered two ancients chests full of documents to the Antwerpen National Museum. These two chests contain what he describes as documents spanning his family history over four centuries from the fourteenth, to the eighteenth century.

Museum Director Simone Jansen described the documents as a "shining pearl from the dark depths of history" before adding that these documents could "give us an unprecedented insight into the history of our great country." Praises have been coming in by the dozen for this very generous gift by Mister Graaf. The old veteran did not want to comment, saying that he only wished to live the remainder of his days in peace.

Prominent historians could not agree as to the historical significance of these documents, some hailing them as the greatest find since the recovery of part of the original document of the Amsterdam Pact of 1400 from the ruins of the Republican Archives in 1803, while others argued that the documents inherently can only present a flawed view of history as they present only the views of one family.

Check out our Monday double edition for more!

Interesting start :)

Great Golden Horde war in the 20th century?

I will follow this one!

Middelkerke and Rysz thanks for your interest! :)

I am taking a few liberties with the history after the game's end, but judging from the map from 1780 that I posted here a Great Golden Horde war looked quite likely. ;)

graaf.jpg

The Graaf Chronicles - Foreword
Saturday 1st of July, 2000

Editor's note:

It is with great pleasure that I bring to you the first chapter in what shall hopefully be a long series of stories from the history of the Graaf family from the pen of acclaimed author and historian Gert Holland. It is hoped that these short works of fiction shall give the reader an insight into Holland's history.

I would like to extend my thanks to the Vlaanderen Post, the Lima Observer and the Bermuda News for sponsoring this great project and to the Antwerpen National Museum for giving us unrestricted access to the Graaf Documents. I would also like to thank the, more than two dozen, national and regional newspapers who have agreed to publish these works on a weekly basis.

Joost van Hool - editor in chief, Bermuda News

Author's note:

It was a great honour for me to be chosen for this project. As a historian, the access I had to these documents was a dream come true. My special thanks to museum director Simone Jansen for her immense help and for "holding my hand" while I stood awestruck in front of this historical treasure trove.

Liberties have been taken in translating these documents into a work of fiction, but the backbone of the story, the history as we know it and the history that we have rediscovered thanks to the Graaf Documents has been kept intact.

Gert Holland

graaf.jpg

The Graaf Chronicles - Chapter One - Johann Graaf, merchant
Saturday 8th of July, 2000

Fall 1399​

Three ships full of the finest Italian cloth. It was a fortune to a man, who barely twelve years earlier had started out with but a chest of coins. His story could have been that of the country he lived in: he was an enlightened man, barely past thirty years of age. He had been born the son of a farmer, yet nothing had restricted his rise in the tiers of society. He liked music, fine women and a good strong burgundy, not necessarily in that order, but where he found true pleasure was in trade and intrigue.

From the age of six, when he made a small fortune selling bread on a street corner - or at least what had seemed as a fortune to the mind of the child he had been fascinated by numbers. He would never have cared to admit it, but at his age he was one of the richest men in Holland.

"To your health, firend Johann!" a friend of his lifted his flagon and toasted the most recent commercial success of Graaf & Son. Johann's son was still barely a toddler, but he already loved playing with his father's counting machines.

"Aye," Johann replied, taking a deep swallow from his flagon of wine. "And here's to more success in the future!" he lifted his flagon for yet another toast. His friends followed suit.

A fire flickered merrily in the hearth, not fully stoked. It lit the room up enough for the men to see each other, but not more. The room was not richly decorated as could have been thought of a man of Johann's riches, instead it contained just a few trinkets from the trader's travels. A bottle of 1342 burgundy, an Italian tapestry,... It all came together, surprisingly, to form a coherent whole, a picture of the man the room belonged to.

"And may that bastard Albert rot in his palace in Mons." It had been years since the King of Holland and of Hainaut had even visited his lands in Holland.

"Aye," replied Johann. He and his friends were part of a group of people who not only resented the rule of the foreign king, but were ready to actively do something about the situation. And Johann had the means. Not more than a week ago, he had paid an Englishman to craft a letter in the name of the nobility of Amsterdam, insulting the Hainautian monarch.

Tensions were high, but with Albert firmly in control of the army not much could be done.

"How was your visit to France, Johann?" Disguised as a trading trip Johann had actually met with a cousin of the French King, looking for any possible support for an eventual uprising.

"France's interests lie to the West. That's what he told me. They do not wish to interfere in the affairs of the Empire." Johann sighed. The trip had been a failure. Another failure to add to a long list.

"Yet." Pieter Dink was Johann's brother-in-law and he stood up as he pointed at the map of Europe on the wall. "They haven't much land to cover westward. Britanny is not an obstacle and the English are no longer a force on the continent. The French turn towards the Empire whenever they want to."

"I know..." Johann replied in a soft voice. Those who knew him knew that voice. It signified that he was going to say something of great import. "Should Holland become free in the future, the French crown is willing to extend its support to us." A few surprised gasps erupted from his audience. "For a fee of course."

"What do you mean?"

"I am no longer the richest man in Holland my friends. I own but the three ships that entered the harbour this morning. As long as we appease the French, they shall be on our side however."

"And now what?" Pieter asked.

"Now? We wait for that swine Albert to die. Or we help him to the other side."

I have always enjoyed Holland's AAR and this one looks quite interesting. The style you used really got me intersted and somewhat intrigued. I'm really looking forward to read the full contents of Mr. Graaf's chests.

Good luck with Holland!

subscribed

Thanks! :) The game has been played up to 1780 a couple months ago, whenever the story does get there, I might decide to continue until 1821.

I have always enjoyed Holland's AAR and this one looks quite interesting. The style you used really got me intersted and somewhat intrigued. I'm really looking forward to read the full contents of Mr. Graaf's chests.

Thanks for your interest! :)

graaf.jpg

The Graaf Chronicles - Chapter Two - Louis Graaf, shady character
Saturday 15th of July, 2000

Summer 1409​

The full moon was obscured by layers upon layers of clouds, which disgorged their contents indiscriminately on anything that left shelter. The torrential downpour had been falling for but a few hours, but the makeshift sewers were already filled to the brink, spilling raw sewage into the streets. The rain washed it all away in small rivulets which joined and parted, meandering their way among Mons's streets.

It was perfect weather for those who wished to move unseen. Even alert guards would have had trouble seeing the figures fleeting along the rooftops through the sheets of rain. But the few guards out at this hour of night cared more about huddling under any shelter they could find. Mons was not at danger. After years of a tense standoff at Hainaut's borders, the Burgundian troops had turned their attention elsewhere, invading the neighbouring city of Liège. But they had since been beaten back by the Imperial troops led by the Emperor himself and were on the defensive. With France massing troops on her northern borders, the threat of Burgundy seemed to be contained for the time being. None of them dreamed of what was being planned tonight.

---

Eating good Hollander cheese and drinking their beer had been the closest King Albert had ever come to visiting his northern holdings. He hadn't asked for those lands to the north, but his advisors at the time had hailed it as a historic opportunity. Truth be told, they were rich lands and his own kingdom had never been richer than since he ruled over both kingdoms. The taxes on the trading houses of Amsterdam brought in riches he had never even dreamed of. And he had to admit, albeit grudgingly, that the Lowlands people knew how to brew a good ale.

A wagonload of the fine liquid had arrived just that morning and Albert had of course insisted that he be among the first to sample it. Next to a roaring fire, with a keg of the ale in his own chambers the king gazed out his window, or more precisely, at his window, at the pattern of raindroplets trickling down the fine glass. It had been brought from Venice...or maybe Genoa, Albert couldn't even remember. He sat down on a richly cushioned chair and slowly the goblet slipped from his fingers and clattered to the ground as he fell asleep.

---

A dark shape moved in alleyways and among the roofs of the buildings. Even in clear weather the passage of the figure could have gone unnoticed, but the rain masked and washed away his presence. The assassin's hands slipped under his cloth shirt, to the cross his uncle Johann had given him when he had been just a boy. It was a plain, wooden cross and Louis's french mother had always wanted him to wear something more expensive, but it was enough for him. And over the years he had grown used to the feeling of the wood against his skin. He murmured a quick prayer for luck and leapt the ten foot distance to the next house.

The house he found himself on hugged the castle walls. Age and wear had brought forth cracks in the ancient stone and Louis was confident in his ability of scaling the wall. From there, it was simple enough to pass himself off as a servant. No one remembered every servant in a castle as large as this one. And in time, an opportunity would present itself.

The courtyard of the castle was a sea of mud and as Louis entered the servant's quarters a rather fat and irate looking woman ushered him in, scolding him for bringing mud and dripping water all over a place she had just finished cleaning. Louis escaped down the hall towards the servants' quarters. The washing girl he had bedded several times over the last week had given him quite a good idea about the layout of the castle.

Fall 1409​

The rider had changed horses but a few hours earlier, but this beast was already on the verge of collapse. Whether it was a poor horse, or the way he rode the horse, bringing as much speed from it as humanly possible, the man did not care. He had a message to deliver and speed was of the utmost importance.

The horse died on him four miles shy of the city of Amsterdam. He ran the remainder of the distance. When the guards at the gate heard what he had to say he was immediately taken before a hastily assembled collection of nobles and rich traders.

Within hours, everyone in Amsterdam knew that the king they had never seen grace their city with his presence had died peacefully in his sleep. Only a select few knew how King Albert of Hainaut had really met his end...

Last edited:
Interlude - gameplay information

The game was initially not played with an AAR in mind, so I don't have any screenshots to speak of and the earliest save game that I do have is from 1500...

So I don't have much ingame information to present for early stages of the game unfortunately. Since this was my very first game on very hard difficulty setting and with lucky nations on, I knew that France would very quickly become a beast that I had absolutely no chance of handling as puny little Holland. I did not want to become a warmonger, declaring war on neighbouring HRE states as soon as Bohemia ceased being the Emperor, instead preferred to play a more colonisation oriented game.

With all that in mind, right from the beginning I had decided to snuggle up to France as much as possible. Whether that meant guaranteeing France, asking and giving military access, gifts when ducats were available,...everything was done to be in France's good graces. Burgundy had actually declared war on Hainaut at one moment and I was mighty happy when Bohemia managed to force a white peace from them. Having Hainaut beign annexed would have of course been a bonus, but in the short to middle term a weaker Burgundy was a good thing for me.

Apart from the usual insults to get to -200 with Hainaut when relevant events popped up the result of those events was always chosen to be detrimental to the relation between the two countries.

Traders flocked all over Europe, as Holland usually does...This country has some of the best, if not the best starting sliders in the game. :)

I always have a special place in my heart for Holland and the Dutch . I find that Mijn Hollanders are some of my favourite people on the forum XD . I love your writing so far ! Keep it up :D

Great chapter! Very well written. So now that the king Albert has been killed, and Holland is free from Hainaut's rule, what does destiny has ready for them?

graaf.jpg

The Graaf Chronicles - Chapter Three - Johann Graaf, king
Saturday 22nd of July, 2000

New Year's Eve 1409-1410​

The carriage and its fifty guards had arrived in midmorning. No fanfare announced the arrival of Lodewijk III, monarch of Hainaut. Unlike his father, he had tried salvaging whatever he could from the relations with Holland. But ultimately it had been too late.

Snow blanketed the countryside around Amsterdam, a white sheet hiding the remains of the recent fighting. There had been no consensus as to who should take the empty throne of Holland. Only a few hundred had perished and a clear victor had emerged.

Lodewijk III, monarch of Hainaut had come to Amsterdam to sign a humiliating treaty, ending the union between the Kingdom of Holland and his own. And to add insult to injury, the man who was waiting for his signature was no more than an upstart merchant, who had managed to act faster than the others who had wished Holland's throne.

Johann Graaf, or as he was called nowadays, Arnolf II smiled amidst his deep furs as the young man walked the long distance from the entrance of the castle hall to his throne. Making the ruler of Mons kneel would have been such a pleasure, but circumstances and etiquette declared that the other monarch be treated as an equal.

"We welcome you to Amsterdam, Lodewijk, King of Hainaut and Duke of Mons. It pleases our royal person greatly that contrary to your father you have decided to come visit our great city." Arnolf's royal crier went on and on, with a speech which had taken the royal advisors almost a week to write. Finally he finished, "...documents have been prepared for your signature. After the signing of the secession between the Kingdom of Holland and the Kingdom of Hainaut, our wise ruler, Arnolf II, King of Holland, Duke of Amsterdam and Baron of Zeeland wishes to invite you to a hunt, a gesture aimed at mending the strained relations between our kingdoms."

Spring 1415​

"Do you, Johanna Graaf, of the house of Arnolf, Princess of Holland wish to marry Prince Eber of Friesland?"

The priest was an overly fat man, easily twice the size of the young woman.

"I do," she said in a soft voice.

---

"You may kiss the bride." The priest finally finished after a long sermon on the virtues of marriage. Nearly all the nobility of the two countries had gathered for this joining of their royal houses. King Arnolf positively beamed with pride. Not only had he managed to find a convenient marriage for his only daughter, it was a marriage from love, and one of the first diplomatic overtures which started cementing his house's position as the youngest royal house in Europe.

Fryske frijheid, his Frieslander counterpart, a fat man, already over sixty years of age, also couldn't hide a smile. He had managed to ally his country to one of the richest states of Europe, and a country twice the size of his own. A relationship which could be but beneficial for him and his small country.

The newlyweds led the dances, gracefully gliding across the meadow in which the wedding had been held. Behind them, in the valley, carts pulled by sturdy oxen approached, hauling the King's best ale for the ensuing feast.

---

April 1417​

"I will never forget.
L.
"

Such were the words scribbled on the small piece of parchment. Count Louis Graaf, spymaster of Holland for the last five years turned the offending paper in his hands before closing a fist around it.

"You say this was in the bottle of wine my uncle had?"

"Yes my lord." The chamberlain couldn't help but cower against the wall, trying desperately to hide from the count's fury.

"Why wasn't the wine tasted before-"

The chamberlain cut him off hoping to gain respite from the relentless questions.

"The taster died just a few hours after our beloved king my lord. It was a slow acting poison. We couldn't have known!" He lifted his hands pleadingly towards the spymaster.

During his tenure, Louis Graaf had never given the impression of a kind man, nor was he one known for leniency.

"You should have done your job right, chamberlain." He spat at the man's feet. "Hang him in the morning."

Summer 1420​

The bells had been ringing for much of the morning, announcing the second death of a ruler of Holland in three years. The slow funeral procession would leave two or three days later, carrying the aged body of the dead king back to his home in Friesland.

Fryske Frijheid had taken on the mantle of King of Holland only reluctantly. He had been an old man, ready for death, not for the challenge of ruling two kingdoms simultaneously. Yet even in age he had been wise, and he split his time between his two kingdoms. Unfortunately in his old age, his mind gave up on him and it was the consequences of a spring night spent on the castle parapets in nothing more than his undergarments that took the monarch to his grave.

Holland was in turmoil and nobody knew what would happen next. Prince Eber, soon to be crowned King of Friesland had already stated that he did not wish the throne of Holland, which he considered cursed. What the future could bring, no one yet knew.

firstthreekings.jpg

I shall follow this, for it looks readable. :D

Glad to have you onboard. :)

I always have a special place in my heart for Holland and the Dutch . I find that Mijn Hollanders are some of my favourite people on the forum XD . I love your writing so far ! Keep it up :D

Thanks! :) I'm happy that you liked it. :)

A screenshot would be nice...

As I mentioned earlier, the earliest savegame I have is from 1500. I did include a very bare screenshot of what the first three kings did (not) accomplish.

Great chapter! Very well written. So now that the king Albert has been killed, and Holland is free from Hainaut's rule, what does destiny has ready for them?

Destiny took them into a personal union with Friesland on the wrong side as you can see from the most recent chapter. :p What the future reserves...who can know?