HOI4 - Development Diary - 26th Of August 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
they are on our future list (which is pretty long). Fleshing out the game with more releasable nations is a long term goal. We plan to add more with big patches and expansions ongoing.
Can we look forward to a dismantlable UK as well?

Reactions:
With the addition of more releasable nations being added for peace treaties is there the possibility of peace conferences being fleshed out further with non territorial demands? Demilitarized zones , army/airforce/navy limits and other options would be a welcome addition to the game, however I can see an issue where these changes may require a more dynamic focus tree to work in a way that is balanced and fun, with focuses to defy the treaty terms being added to a nations focus tree with each of these focuses potentially triggering another war.

Reactions:
I appreciate the effort and new releasables are always good, but please don't forget that it can as well suck all enjoyment out of the game when messy peace conferences happen. It this ends with Japan puppeting Ukraine and grabbing tiny little spots all over the place while Italy takes Mongolia and Germany puppets a messy rest-soviet and alike, while you are stuck in your faction because you can't leave nor disband it, this won't do anything in making me play again.
The answer to this is easy though: Fix the peace conferences. Tell countries not to make puppets outside their continent, and not to puppet landlocked countries they can't reach...

Reactions:
@podcat , @SteelVolt , @Voffvoffhunden

First: Ty for the dev diary and taking the time.

Can we have more details on the AI work and Africa situation? Has Africa AI been solved? (didn't see a mention of that in the diary though I'm happy to hear about releasable african nations).

Will there be any UI/gameplay changes in 1.2?

Any changes planned to air war mechanics in 1.2? Is that in the pipeline anywhere?

Also a request: PLEASE PLEASE showcase some patch features in the next WWW? Is that a thing that's possible?

Second request: More funny bugs?

Reactions:
The answer to this is easy though: Fix the peace conferences. Tell countries not to make puppets outside their continent, and not to puppet landlocked countries they can't reach...
I'm not sure that would be a 100% fix because nations with Global Imperial ambitions would want to assert their influence worldwide. Maybe limit it so only the AI of certain nations wants puppets on another continent.

Separately, the AI of each country needs to have its own preset territorial priorities, such as Greece possibly wanting Turkish land, Italy wanting the Ireddente areas etc etc.

Reactions:
Why would I ever want to release a country instead of taking all of its land for myself? What are the benefits/trade-offs?

In theory a released nation can make much better use of the countries manpower because it wont suffer the massive penalties for non-core land.

In practice the AI seems a bit hit and miss. Sometimes it'll start to field divisions after a few months. Other times it wont do anything no matter how many years or how much equipment you give it.

Reactions:
@Voffvoffhunden @podcat , @SteelVoltProof that the Japanese Ai is capable with Manchukuo in the game
0F307D2E073EAEBDB16E00590F65BA8F10BC3DC8

The second Image shows that the japanese Puppet states can do what they were meant to do! defend the japanese Empire!

26BF49019B44D67F98209D1CBCC26A80299F19D6

BRING IT BACK PARADOX! XD
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions:
Theoretical states are always interesting, and who knows, I’ve heard a rumor that Texas really wants to secede from the Union...

Theoretical states (Texas), will only be added in the non-historical options? IE. non plausible releases? If I in an historical game gets to see states secede from US and forming CSA again or something, I will uninstall, and never look back, that is for sure.

Also, as most of the de-colonization happened long after WW2 - however, often indirectly or directly as a result of the war and the strain on economics, will it also be so in the game? I don't want to see African countries (especially) becoming independent too (a-historically) early.

Although, it could work very well for a Cold-War mod, I don't think it fits in with WW2 very well.

Reactions:
Theoretical states are always interesting, and who knows, I’ve heard a rumor that Texas really wants to secede from the Union...

I'm offended, as a proud Texan, even though we would be just fine as our own country. :) Nevertheless, no state in the USA was remotely close to seceding during that time frame. If you want to have fun with that, try Quebec. However, with all due respect, no more post production sandbox-only relevant features please. I think I speak for most that we would rather have more fixes and improvements to the base game, than post-WW2 Sandbox features.

Reactions:
thank you for this info.
what about other progress in your current fix list ? nav, sub, convoy, ai division spamming, port attack, ...
any plan to increase the number of air region to give a bit more detailled air war ? especially around europe and north africa, china also :)

Reactions:
With the addition of more releasable nations being added for peace treaties is there the possibility of peace conferences being fleshed out further with non territorial demands? Demilitarized zones , army/airforce/navy limits and other options would be a welcome addition to the game, however I can see an issue where these changes may require a more dynamic focus tree to work in a way that is balanced and fun, with focuses to defy the treaty terms being added to a nations focus tree with each of these focuses potentially triggering another war.

@podcat , @SteelVolt , @Voffvoffhunden

First: Ty for the dev diary and taking the time.

1. Can we have more details on the AI work and Africa situation? Has Africa AI been solved? (didn't see a mention of that in the diary though I'm happy to hear about releasable african nations).

2. Will there be any UI/gameplay changes in 1.2?

3. Any changes planned to air war mechanics in 1.2? Is that in the pipeline anywhere?

4. Also a request: PLEASE PLEASE showcase some patch features in the next WWW? Is that a thing that's possible?
1. I dont see it showing up as a problem anymore no
2. there are more diaries before patch is out :)
3. no, its a huge undertaking. for The Future, certainly.
4. I'v talked to Daniel about it, we will see (stuff has to actually be stable as well to show it off).

Proof that the Japanese Ai is capable with Manchukuo in the game
0F307D2E073EAEBDB16E00590F65BA8F10BC3DC8

The second Image shows that the japanese Puppet states can do what they were meant to do! defend the japanese Empire!

BRING IT BACK PARADOX! XD

I tried some of the mods and in my 3-4 tests I ran it didnt seem to have a huge effect on ai performance. You do have to remember that having japan win decisively is also not wanted. I definitly see us adding them, but I'd probably want to bundle it with other things focused on the pacific war at the same time (if you just want the nation there are mods, the overall goal for us is more fun war in asia and pacific).

Reactions:
We get it, you want Manchukou back

there is no reason for them not to add it back! it is proven it works effectively and does not negatively impact Japanese AI and often helps the Japanese empire a ton especially with expeditionary forces and garrisoning conquered territories and homelands. just like real life!

It needs to come back! or this isnt a proper WW2 game, excluding a country as large as this and a puppet state as important to japan.

Reactions:
1. I dont see it showing up as a problem anymore no
2. there are more diaries before patch is out :)
3. no, its a huge undertaking. for The Future, certainly.
4. I'v talked to Daniel about it, we will see (stuff has to actually be stable as well to show it off).

I tried some of the mods and in my 3-4 tests I ran it didnt seem to have a huge effect on ai performance. You do have to remember that having japan win decisively is also not wanted. I definitly see us adding them, but I'd probably want to bundle it with other things focused on the pacific war at the same time (if you just want the nation there are mods, the overall goal for us is more fun war in asia and pacific).

sure. well this is good news. i know there are mods. but i want paradox manchukuo with your portraits and depth. this nation just deserves to come back. its been in every HOI game but this so far.

and im fine with a future DLC/update focusing on the pacific that would be awesome!. you could flesh out japans puppet mechanics and maybe add events for forming the Reorganized nationalist china and greater east asia co prosperity sphere. Maybe a unique focus tree for Manchukuo that sees it gain independence and restore the qing dynasty And Asin Giro Puyi's Empire. just some ideas

also japanese unit skins are needed. the SNLF rikusentai wore green

Reactions:
@SteelVolt - any update on the Naval AI testing, from the changes reported last week? Without additional info, we'll have to assume our typical high expectations :)

My focus has been elsewhere, though the other coder who aided me for a couple of weeks by working on that has left us, I think the most severe issues are fixed. That being said, there is still work to be done to improve the naval AI, which may become a focus for a future patch.

Reactions:
Not to sound too negative but do people really care about releasable nations?

I mean all this is for the peace conference when the war is over and at that point atleast I stop playing anyway. Would much rather see development in other areas more directly influencing the war itself or the leading up to it be focused on more.

Reactions:
Can we have more details on the AI work and Africa situation? Has Africa AI been solved? (didn't see a mention of that in the diary though I'm happy to hear about releasable african nations).

It is a matter of balance, and thus a large grey zone between "great" and "total and utter borkiness", where small tweaks may have a large impact. I will be doing another small improvement pass on it, but over all it does look significantly better than it used to as far as we can tell.

Reactions: