HOI4 Dev Diary - Cosmetic tags, art, gameplay and AI

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why is Kwangtung part of Manchukou? This area was administered by Japan as the Kwantung Leased Territory and was not a part of Manchukou at any point.

Can this be split off in to its own region please, similar to Hong Kong is or Macau

Reactions:
Great work! I'm loving the dev diaries but I have one question.

Are there any plans to further how much control modders have over the AI in the future?

Made sure AI is capable of calling subjects into wars even if they are not in a faction

I know you guys don't use LUA anymore but this for example was moddable in HOI3. I remember scripting the AI not to call it's allies into certain wars I knew would happen in game.

Reactions:
I think the name in-game depends on level of autonomy.

Yes. Autonomous SSR is the name we used for puppets (since they have a certain degree to which they can decide their own affairs). Integrated puppets are indeed just called SSRs.

Similarly, the Reichskommissariats in the screenshot represent the option to administer the Baltic states separately from Ostland (which historically was considered for a time but ultimately not done). If you decide to create them in a peace conference, you can always create Ostland first and then give them the Baltic states afterwards, if you are more interested in the historical subdivisions.

Reactions:
There were 5 planned Reichskommissariats. The Baltic states were clumped up with Belarus to form Reichskommissariat Ostland. The screenshot in the first post shows them as 4 different countries.
I suppose that could be fixed by having Belarus named 'Reichskommissariat Ostland' and then, once it's established by your next turn, you could simply give that puppet the land in the Baltic states. I know I've done stuff like that with puppets before (minus the naming portion of it (obviously)).

Edit: Looks like someone beat me to that.

Cosmetic tags are one of the best new tools to be granted to modders by Paradox in ages.

When Victoria III comes and all these new bells and whistles like cosmetic tags and the autonomy system can be applied to that era....the stuff dreams are made of :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool:.

Reactions:
Are the victory points gained from battle modable? Similarly, can the value be changed in game by an event or something?

I am thinking about the Great War mod and how this could change war to model it like WW1. Germany could capitulate even if they lost no land. But this would need to change again between the wars to prepare for WW2.

Reactions:
That is because they are using the "Cosmetic Tag". They aren't being released as one country but instead being release as Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia/Belarus and then the "Reichskommissariat" is being added to them. They can't be released as one country (in vanilla/TfV) because they don't exist as one country in game.

They could have Ostland as the Baltic states and Belarus or if they want it separate they could have Belarus as Reichskommissariat Weissrusland or something to that extent unless they prefer it in English.

They could have Ostland as the Baltic states and Belarus or if they want it separate they could have Belarus as Reichskommissariat Weissrusland or something to that extent unless they prefer it in English.
I don't think you understand what the cosmetic tags are supposed to do. All they do is change the name of a country if they are a puppet of another country. So since there is no country in the (base) game that includes the territory of the Baltic states (plus Belarus) they can't do it that way.

I'm really glad you guys are working on improving the AI. It is really the largest issue with an otherwise fantastic game.

Reichskommiseriate. Interesting.

Yes. Autonomous SSR is the name we used for puppets (since they have a certain degree to which they can decide their own affairs). Integrated puppets are indeed just called SSRs.

Similarly, the Reichskommissariats in the screenshot represent the option to administer the Baltic states separately from Ostland (which historically was considered for a time but ultimately not done). If you decide to create them in a peace conference, you can always create Ostland first and then give them the Baltic states afterwards, if you are more interested in the historical subdivisions.

Does it means that... SSR will be integrated puppets at the beginning of the game?

Is this explained anywhere in the game? Does this only apply to armies, or does it slow navies as well?
If you are under enemy air superiority the tooltip over speed tell you. It might be in some descriptive detailed tooltip also, but its a bit hidden

Are the victory points gained from battle modable? Similarly, can the value be changed in game by an event or something?

I am thinking about the Great War mod and how this could change war to model it like WW1. Germany could capitulate even if they lost no land. But this would need to change again between the wars to prepare for WW2.
Yes its very moddable. You can even change values to get the old formula back if you want

Reactions:
Manchukuo starts as an integrated puppet of Japan and does not have a unique focus tree just yet.

China DLC announced!

Reactions:
This. It's an incredibly annoying bug, and every mod that adds tags, even converted saves, have it. @podcat & others , can you say if it's fixed or being fixed? Thanks in advance

And there was me thinking it was a problem with my mod!