HOI4 Dev Diary - Cosmetic tags, art, gameplay and AI

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The wheeled/half-track truck in the middle sure does look like the inspiration for the Batman vehicle.
I would love to see these rather than humvees today. It just looks menacing, nasty and packed full of pain.

WTG team Podcat! Great News!
I believe that is a New Zealand Schofield tank. Swedish tanks of the era also had a similar design, hopefully we will get to see them too some day.

Reactions:
There were 5 planned Reichskommissariats. The Baltic states were clumped up with Belarus to form Reichskommissariat Ostland. The screenshot in the first post shows them as 4 different countries.

Reactions:
Together for Victory roundel.

upload_2016-12-7_7-5-1.png

Good marketing for the upcoming release!

Reactions:
Wait, Air Superiority applies a speed penalty to the enemy? Is that new?

Ah, this would be a good tip for the gaming tip list that cycles through at the start of each game boot up.

Reactions:
I believe that is a New Zealand Schofield tank. Swedish tanks of the era also had a similar design, hopefully we will get to see them too some day.

Put some chrome rims on that bad boy with some nasty knobby tires, painted black with a mat black pirate flag logo on its sides and I would be lovin my new commuter vehicle.

Reactions:
Cosmetic tags are a new tool that we think modders in particular will like. While not being a full-on tag-switching or union-tag mechanic, it can probably be used to achieve most of the effects.
Does this mean you won't be adding those to game at a later date?

So does this mean the bug where released nations won't build any troops or equipment be fixed? Or will that stay broken? I ask because it completely breaks mods which have nations in them being released.

Just to check if I get it right: you couldn't have that "other fascist France" and Vichy France at the same time, could you?

As far as game mechanics are concerned, there are only three possible France (four if you count Non-Aligned), and Other Fascist France would quite literally be Vichy France by an other name (and flag). Correct?

This is correct. (Or well largely so. Technically you could set up vichy france and then have free france turn fascist and have them coexist.)

Reactions:
Awesome!

I want to say that this is an ideal dev diary to me. It's detailed and answers most questions. The detailed AI diary helps a lot in understanding what problems you are facing and how the community can help identifying them. Please continue this style.

Reactions:
One of my pet peeves is that after a coup, if the winning side is the aggressor, it has its capital stuck in an abnormal spot. It would be nice if the capital would be relocated to it's original spot after the coup ends. Not to much of a high priority issue, but I'd just like to put this out there.

Reactions:
Nope it's been in since the start. Up to -50% speed if you dominate the air totally, which is huge.
Is this explained anywhere in the game? Does this only apply to armies, or does it slow navies as well?

Reactions:
Please limit AI discussions to the specific topics discussed in OP. There will be more "mini DD's" about the AI in the coming days, covering other points.

And yes, this is a great Dev Diary. For natural reasons we can't put out DD's like this every week. Would you rather that we kept quiet and posted something like this once a month instead?

Reactions:
There were 5 planned Reichskommissariats. The Baltic states were clumped up with Belarus to form Reichskommissariat Ostland. The screenshot in the first post shows them as 4 different countries.
That is because they are using the "Cosmetic Tag". They aren't being released as one country but instead being release as Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia/Belarus and then the "Reichskommissariat" is being added to them. They can't be released as one country (in vanilla/TfV) because they don't exist as one country in game.

Reactions:
Ukraine and Byelorussia were not "Autnomous SSR", they were simply "SSR" without "Autonomous" part. It it true that ASSRs existed, but they were lower type entities, and were parts of RSFSR or other SSRs.

Also Cisbaltic SSRs too.

Reactions: