HOI4 Dev Diary - Back from Christmas

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that issue was fixed with 1.3 (although I am not sure if it solved every case for CAS combat joining), and remains fixed although casualties are higher now

@podcat

Thanks for all your hard work.
I dont know if its still an issue but when you have an CAS ace and hes assigned to a wing, that wing will not join in on any combat. Was this issue resolved ?

Last edited:
Podcat, just to be clear -
You anticipate that after this hotfix you guys will work on a more comprehensive patch and then start ramping up for the next dlc. Is that the general plan? If so, that's most encouraging. I agree with the general sentiment that this first set of improvements has moved the game along nicely.

Reactions:
Today we don’t have a World War Wednesday stream. That will start up again next week. If you want to sate your HOI4 video craving I’m going to recommend checking out Daniel’s cool 60+ people grand multiplayer campaign he ran during Christmas. I asked him for a summary and he sent me this picture:
index.php

Reminds me, if there is any way to get Ilya back as the Russian tzar? I mean, the game was before Patch 1.3.1. We never saw a winner. Just saw how Daniel was shot down of his "minions" with some gorgeous weapons ... :D

@podcat Hey podcat, quick mechanics question. Can a single CAS wing only join one combat at a time? I ask because I really enjoy making wings of 1,000 in the late game (2-300 is just unmanagable IMO), but I won't do that with CAS if it means that one 1,000 plane CAS wing is only joining one combat at a time

Also, I was wondering if there was any chance of the reassignment mechanic being changed.

Current:
1. Player tries to assign a wing to an airspace, but the airspace is out of range
2. Wing is not assigned.
3. Player reassigns wing to an airfield in the airspace, then assigns the wing to the airspace
4. Player (sometimes) rebases all planes in airspace for max efficiency

New:
1. Player tries to assign a wing to an airspace, but the airspace is out of range
2. Wing *checks* if there are any free airports in the airspace
3. If there are, wing switches to the free airport that will give it the most efficency then assigns itself to the airspace

I think making my suggested system the default would sacrifice more control than some players would be comfortable with (i.e. I want my CAS to stay in northern italy even if they can't reach Southern France), so maybe a hotkey command or something? It'd cut down on my personal annoyance with the air command system.

Of course, if we could attach airwings to armies or assign them to multiple airzones, that would make me ecstatic ;)

Also, big congratulations on daniel's 60 player game, I had no idea the netcode was so stable. You guys have come a long way from CK2's release multiplayer

Last edited:
Reactions:
@podcat Hey podcat, quick mechanics question. Can a single CAS wing only join one combat at a time? I ask because I really enjoy making wings of 1,000 in the late game (2-300 is just unmanagable IMO), but I won't do that with CAS if it means that one 1,000 plane CAS wing is only joining one combat at a time

Also, I was wondering if there was any chance of the reassignment mechanic being changed.

Current:
2. Wing is not assigned.
3. Player reassigns wing to an airfield in the airspace, then assigns the wing to the airspace
4. Player (sometimes) rebases all planes in airspace for max efficiency

New:
2. Wing *checks* if there are any free airports in the airspace
3. If there are, wing switches to the free airport that will give it the most efficency then assigns itself to the airspace

I think making my suggested system the default would sacrifice more control than some players would be comfortable with (i.e. I want my CAS to stay in northern italy even if they can't reach Southern France), so maybe a hotkey command or something? It'd cut down on my personal annoyance with the air command system.

Of course, if we could attach airwings to armies or assign them to multiple airzones, that would make me ecstatic ;)
air changes like above is something we want to focus on. Stay tuen for next weeks diary

Each CAS wing can only join a single combat *every 4 hours*, so it can change over the day, but technically smaller wings are better here. I personally never make wings below 500 because its too much effort tho. also I might be wrong about CAS, not looked at in detail lately but its something we will be checking

Also, big congratulations on daniel's 60 player game, I had no idea the netcode was so stable. You guys have come a long way from CK2's release multiplayer
yeah its pretty awesome :) apparently they could run speed 3 most of it too after some of the people with slower computers left

Reactions:
Good news on the Air fixes but I'll have to wait until my mods are updated to play it, sorry but the mods just make the game playable for me. I do like the idea your going after bugs and balance first because I don't think you can continue building more things until the base game is set right than it's easier to add stuff. Cheers and Welcome back!!

air changes like above is something we want to focus on. Stay tuen for next weeks diary

Each CAS wing can only join a single combat *every 4 hours*, so it can change over the day, but technically smaller wings are better here. I personally never make wings below 500 because its too much effort tho. also I might be wrong about CAS, not looked at in detail lately but its something we will be checking

yeah its pretty awesome :) apparently they could run speed 3 most of it too after some of the people with slower computers left

You should try wings of 200 that way you can move them to airbases easier because many in USSR and elsewhere are 200 the problem is you can only either fit fighters now or bombers in that airbase.

sorry but the mods just make the game playable for me
which mods are your "must haves" (I see total stats, but its always interestign to see from a personal PoV)

Reactions:

Depending on how big my airforce is I just incrementally increase my CAS air wings. 30 -> 60 -> 120 -> 240 (Respectively 10 CW combat, 20, 40, 80 - because 3 CAS per 1 combat width)

Reactions:
It's good to see fixes to some of the more common issues people are bumping into. I was pretty vocal on other platforms about the state of TFV given that achievements like Freegypt (tech tree reset) and Crusader Kings (wrong provinces) which strongly implied they weren't play-tested on the release build.

I think my biggest remaining gripe would be that Italy has capitulated by 1940 in every single player game I play, with the only exception being if I'm Italy or another Fascist country who defends their shores. Is there any plan to address this? The Allies are an unstoppable force right now even without Italy throwing the war really early on.

Also I find capitulated countries are often more dangerous than countries still actively in the war. It wasn't uncommon for The Netherlands to spearhead the capture of Berlin (from Meckleberg, so no home provinces liberated) while France captured all of Italy in the mid-1940s, presumably invading from Africa (their only free territory). Perhaps worst of all, the US Navy continues to operate indefinitely after surrender which means the entire East & West coast is completely impassable as a non-Allied power without at least 300+ ships.

Are there any plans to look at how countries behave after they've surrendered?

Last edited:
Reactions:
which mods are your "must haves" (I see total stats, but its always interestign to see from a personal PoV)

Here's my favorite's list that I like which aren't either against policy (have to have my flag mod lol).

Expert AI 2.0 Africa Add-on - This makes those terrible Sahara battles be gone by making those parts of Africa impassible but at the same time not bad looking as they are sort of like Integrated puppet area's but they cannot be passed through.

Expert AI 2.0 - Better AI Template building, I'm not sure what else it does but the other nations kick my but once when I turn their difficulty up even to medium which is awesome

Colored Buttons - Makes the different tabs such as production and such stick out better in the UI

Expanded Technology - Industry - Equipment 1.3.1 - It doesn't add a ton of new units or industry but it adds enough to make it more immersive and fun plus I like a bit more diversity.

More Theatre Icons - Lets me differenciate more in my Theatres as they can get clogged when I'm using my smaller specialized armies such as Armor, Mountaineer, Marine, etc.

World Tension Balance - The WT goes through the roof with the SCW and if Japan takes China Quickly the USA sometimes will be able to get into the Allies in 1940

Better Terrain View - Easier to differentiate terrain types

Strategic View Adjustments - Easier to see in Air Mode where planes or, same goes for fleets, and also Cities stand out better, it just looks better overall for me and being able to find Air wings and Fleets quicker is a big improvement.

Those are just a few but my biggest thing is reducing minor's division spam, I do like Vanilla + as it increases the combat width making room for more specialized division templates, I also just hate fighting in the Sahara, it has irked me since release to see divisions there even if the AI doesn't send as many anymore. At least with HOI4 you don't have partisans spawning in no infrastructure area's though :eek:

Reactions:
Welcome back! And great to see hotfix shown up as promised! Excited to hear more about future patch and DLC from next week onward, keep up the good work!

Reactions:
Here's my favorite's list that I like which aren't either against policy (have to have my flag mod lol).

Expert AI 2.0 Africa Add-on - This makes those terrible Sahara battles be gone by making those parts of Africa impassible but at the same time not bad looking as they are sort of like Integrated puppet area's but they cannot be passed through.

Expert AI 2.0 - Better AI Template building, I'm not sure what else it does but the other nations kick my but once when I turn their difficulty up even to medium which is awesome

Colored Buttons - Makes the different tabs such as production and such stick out better in the UI

Expanded Technology - Industry - Equipment 1.3.1 - It doesn't add a ton of new units or industry but it adds enough to make it more immersive and fun plus I like a bit more diversity.

More Theatre Icons - Lets me differenciate more in my Theatres as they can get clogged when I'm using my smaller specialized armies such as Armor, Mountaineer, Marine, etc.

World Tension Balance - The WT goes through the roof with the SCW and if Japan takes China Quickly the USA sometimes will be able to get into the Allies in 1940

Strategic View Adjustments - Easier to see in Air Mode where planes or, same goes for fleets, and also Cities stand out better, it just looks better overall for me and being able to find Air wings and Fleets quicker is a big improvement.

Those are just a few but my biggest thing is reducing minor's division spam, I do like Vanilla + as it increases the combat width making room for more specialized division templates, I also just hate fighting in the Sahara, it has irked me since release to see divisions there even if the AI doesn't send as many anymore. At least with HOI4 you don't have partisans spawning in no infrastructure area's though :eek:
Agree with most of those.

+ Thanks team for the quick hotfix- really appreciated to get the air war back.

Reactions:
Reminds me, if there is any way to get Ilya back as the Russian tzar? I mean, the game was before Patch 1.3.1. We never saw a winner. Just saw how Daniel was shot down of his "minions" with some gorgeous weapons ... :D

My wisdom is telling Me, that glorious return definitely will happen one day. But that will be Triumphal moment to celebrate for all of My peasants and will bring only suffer for My enemies. I am with you My people.

Your, master, Tzar of all Russians that lived, living and will live.

Reactions:
Thanks for the hotfix, this is great news!

Question, has the Italy AI situation been looked at?? Currently It gives control of its entire army to Germany and leaves no troops to defend Italy, which makes invading it pretty easy.

Reactions:

I want add my preference for these also.

I also like expanded production (forget the name im at work so cant get to game) it basically stacks the production window horizontally as well as vertically so you see more on screen at a time. It would be great to be able to collapse the production line so it takes up less room, with a + and - button for easy add or subtract of factories.

Reactions:

Thanks for listing these out (I really hate seeing units in the Sahara as well). I will give them a try this weekend. Do these mods work with the TFV and the Christmas patch?