HOI4 Dev Diary - Ally Down Under

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most excellent Podcat!

Cool news.
I didn't understand how the "tech sharing group" is defined. Is it defined by faction, national focuses, autonomy? A combination of those?

Cool news.
I didn't understand how the "tech sharing group" is defined. Is it defined by faction, national focuses, autonomy? A combination of those?
They are created from focus trees or events, so it can be a little bit what you feel like setting up. The commonwealth one (which you can see the icon of in the screenshot) is restricted to UK's subjects. Most of the other ones are set up as you join into the axis or comintern etc through focuses, but the Tizard missions (uk<->usa) is ok as long as you arent enemies.

Reactions:
There are two. you get a warning alert for when someone you actually detect is planning an invasion (this is less useful because quite often the AI will do this early). There is also a second level alert with a sound (the one that has a pirate flag skull on it) that appears when the enemy is about to land or is taking provinces as part of a naval invasion.

People over and over again say the system of yours isn`t working/don`t like it/don`t find it useful and every time the response of yours is that they are not smart enough to use/figure out what you designed for them. The problem is.… you don`t want admit to yourself that this part of design is flawed.

Reactions:
@podcat Please please fix Australia's state borders in this expansion/patch!!!

Those states make no sense at all, Australia has 6 really simple states and 2 territories!

Also please remove the lakes in the center of Australia they don't actually exist!!!

Killing my immersion and national pride, otherwise really excited

Last edited:
Reactions:
@podcat So how likely is the AI to go down the non-historical path when the option isn't on? For instance, I hardly, if ever, see France revise Versailles, as the AI even with the option turned off. Shouldn't there be an equal chance, or at least a significant increase to the current decision of the AI? Like, how likely is Germany and USSR to ally through focus? Or even USA going Fascist and attacking Russia and uniting with Germany? All these seem like impossible choices for the AI as they are focused too narrowly on going semi-historic/realistic. Any plan to change this at all?

Reactions:
Those changes looks nice. But I would like to be able to (via game option) stop AI countries from going ahistorical in their choices (and in standard games the chance should favour historical choice with at least 9:1 ratio - with the number of possible ahistorical choices in so many countries some are bound to happen, but it shouldn't be very common). Or is this already in the game?

That, and improved AI so it knows how important it is to protect its home soil.

Reactions:
That, and improved AI so it knows how important it is to protect its home soil.
we have done some nice improvements to ai garrison logic, but I am not going to call it fixed yet. Hopefully we can do more as well before 1.3.

Reactions:
but I am not going to call it fixed yet.
I don't think of it as fixed, as like in real life things will go wrong and the AI will be caught off guard. I like to think of it as Improved or Improving.

Reactions:
I know this isn't likely meant to be historically accurate, but I do have to say that the notion Fascism in Commonwealth nations was for breaking ties with the UK is almost totally the opposite of the truth, which is that they were extreme Empire loyalists who in many cases maintained direct links to Fascist organisations in the UK. The New Guard (Centre Party) with the BUF and the Canadian Fascists with the Imperial Fascist League. As to Australian Fascists supporting Indonesian Independence and making alliances with the Japanese..... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHA-
*cough cough*

I just... had to say that.

Reactions:
I know this isn't likely meant to be historically accurate, but I do have to say that the notion Fascism in Commonwealth nations was for breaking ties with the UK is almost totally the opposite of the truth, which is that they were extreme British loyalists who in many cases maintained direct links to Fascist organisations in the UK. The New Guard (Centre Party) with the BUF and the Canadian Fascists with the Imperial Fascist League. As to Australian Fascists supporting Indonesian Independence and make alliances with the Japanese..... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
*cough cough*

I just... had to say that.

I think the way the game treats fascism on the whole is historically inaccurate, it doesn't differentiate between fascism and other authoritarian regimes, so it seems arbitrary weather or not a regime is fascist. It would be nice if there were more ideologies but I can see how that would affect all the current focus trees and what not, still it would allow wierd stuff like restoring Kaiser Wilhelm II as monarchist Germany

Reactions:
@podcat

The new tech-sharing system sounds awesome. That's a very interesting way of handling Tizard, the Commonwealth, and the German-Italian/German-Japanese treaties. Brilliant idea, and very useful for modders no doubt. :)

(Please don't tease about Newfoundland, though)

Oh and... by my reckoning, @Sideburnout would have time for at least one extra FRA/ITA portrait a week until release. :D

Reactions:
@podcat
Any changes at all coming to Canada and Australia's resources? They are fantastically rich in natural resources, and it seems a little odd to see them have no real ability self power their own industry.

Reactions:
Loving the tech sharing idea.

There are two. you get a warning alert for when someone you actually detect is planning an invasion (this is less useful because quite often the AI will do this early). There is also a second level alert with a sound (the one that has a pirate flag skull on it) that appears when the enemy is about to land or is taking provinces as part of a naval invasion.

it gives some PP, unlocks a minister and "affects your autonomy" (will need to talk details in future diary when its all done).

Even the imminent invasion alert gives so many false positives that I've taken to ignoring it now. It's genuinely well under one in ten time that the skull 'n' bones alert is actually followed by a landing or amphibious assault in my experience.

Will some of the commonwealth focuses make the trade-off of reduced autonomy for other benefits? I get that the autonomy dev diary isn't out yet, just curious to know if we get to choose a path of positive integration rather than just picking between status quo and greater separation.

Reactions:
Shouldn't Australia and New Zealand be puppets of England? The Statute of Westminster did not apply to them before 1942 and therefore they had no foreign policy of their own. Or is this something the new autonomy system will cover?

In any case, interesting features and nice to hear that progress has been made on the air and naval combat.

EDIT: Commented too soon. Just checked the Tree and saw the "Adopt Westminster" Focus, so I assume this is covered for AUS (and hopefully NZ).

Last edited:
Reactions: