• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XII: 1149-1153

July 26, 1149 was already starting out as a bad day for Vlad. He was attempting to relax when suddenly a wave of messengers from the Byzantine Empire arrived. For the next hour they explained why they were there. The reason for the length in time was simple: Byzantine was now at war with almost every major power in western Europe!

Vassak Roupinid, the young Byzantine Emperor, was said to be as suspicious as he was religious. When arguments between him and the new Pope Guttorm Knytling erupted, he announced that the Latin Church was attempting to undermine the independence of the Ottoman Church. He then declared war on not only the Holy Roman Emperor, but on the Duchy of Lorraine, the Duchy of Brandenburg, and many other counties. The Byzantine messengers in Vlad’s castle were there to get him to honor his alliance. On a better day Vlad may have accepted, but currently he was in no mood to fight another man’s crusade. He flatly turned down the offer, telling them that his family’s allegiance had been and always was to the church in Rome. Emperor Roupinid would fight alone.

While the war waged on outside of Croatia, another sad moment hit Boleslav’s life. His second wife, Teodora, had died during childbirth, and again his child had been lost as well. At age 20 with two dead wives and no heirs, Boleslav began to wonder if he had done something wrong for God to punish him like this. Nevertheless, he understood that being next in line for the kingdom he had to present a clear line of inheritance. Yet there were no proper women to woo in the Croatian court. He looked to foreign lands, but no noblewoman would marry him. A horrible rumor had been spread that he killed his wives and was only interested in collecting on the dowry. Eventually the marshal married Efrosina, another daughter of the Archbishop Hrvatinic, on September 8, 1150.

The next year Vlad launched a campaign against the County of Bihar, continuing the Wars of Unity and Peace. Once again, Boleslav performed well, moved his army masterfully, and initiated battle while Vlad was still slogging his way towards the county. And, yet again, Vlad arrived only to assist in an easy siege. For this campaign, Boleslav actually requested that Vlad reward him and his men for their service. Vlad complied…but a few weeks later Boleslav asked again, saying the sum before was not enough. Vlad bitterly complied again. Although it seemed like the moment of vanity Vlad had been waiting for, much of the gold went to Boleslav’s troops. He had wanted to make sure they got proper pay after a hard fought campaign.

Boleslav returned home only to be greeted with bad news. His third wife had died in labour. Boleslav now felt at his wit’s end, for it seemed he would never find true love. That changed during a trip to Rome to speak to the Pope on Vlad’s behalf. Along the way he passed some vineyards in the County of Ferrara. There he saw a beautiful noblewoman walking through the grounds, wandering her fingertips over the vines. She was Candida Einaudi, the daughter of Count Paolo Einaudi, and she married Boleslav on October 2, 1152.

Shortly after the news, Vlad claimed the County of Abauj and asked that Boleslav, alone, carry the campaign. Boleslav accepted and raised his army in the county of Pecs. Over 2,000 men came to the call, announcing their loyalty to the hero of the city. On May 27, 1153 Boleslav met battle with the Count Szilveszter and defeated his smaller force of 500 men. The castle fell on August 4.

Ottoman church? :confused:

the_shy_kid said:
Ottoman church? :confused:

Um, well, um, the um...Constantinople...LOOK OVER THERE! *runs*

Henry v. Keiper said:
Um, well, um, the um...Constantinople...LOOK OVER THERE! *runs*

You aren't losing me that easily, you rotten- OOH SHINY!

I just read this, accidentally stumbled upon it. I like it very much...

Go Croatia.

I wonder if i will ever be born now.

I never played CK, but now that I see what you can do with Croatia I'm getting this game.

kramari said:
I just read this, accidentally stumbled upon it. I like it very much...

Go Croatia.

I wonder if i will ever be born now.

I never played CK, but now that I see what you can do with Croatia I'm getting this game.

That's the second person to say that. I think Paradox should give me some money in return for the amount of profit I'm making them. :cool:

I'd also like to announce our third Croatian reader! Hooray! :D

I have one more update to make and at last we will be done with this saga and up to the point where I had the save-CTD.

Good to see this revitalised, if only to meet its impending end.

Chapter XIII: 1153-1161

Doroteya, Vlad’s little sister, had died, and he now controlled her large desmense of Turnu. Unable to rule this much effectively, Vlad granted the land to the Archbishop. Radu Hrvatinic now wasn’t only the most powerful church official in Croatia, but he was quickly becoming the most powerful noble in the entire kingdom. This alone was not a concern to Vlad - he trusted Radu as a friend and leader, and cared less how much land he owned. The matter that concerned many was what happened to the land once Radu died. Vlad was warned by advisors that as it stood, the church could very well claim all his possessions for the Latin Church in Rome, not the nation of Croatia. It was then that Vlad moved to change the laws as quickly as possible. Some suggested enforcing full power of religion into the monarch, but Vlad did not want to go to such an extreme - he was doing this to preserve power, not take it. He decided eventually to opt for simply balancing power between church and state, allowing religious influence but maintaining that matters would benefit Croatia first and foremost. No one opposed this move, as most of Croatia’s nobles enforced such a balance. Even Radu did not object - he knew Vlad well, and understood that it was merely a move to protect national interests.

On November 18, 1155 Vlad was enjoying a fine dinner when he had another rude interruption. And it was Byzantine. Again.

Emperor Vassak Roupinid, who had led his people in the pointless war against the Latin Church, was now starting what he called a great Crusade. The goal: to retake the Holy Land. Although there were claims later made that Byzantine was merely attempting to retake land that they had lost to the Muslims, the fact was Vassak was using the war to distract from his failure against the western powers. It was his hope that he could gain favor with Europe as well as his people. Vlad, more than any one, saw through this, and he turned down the request to join the Crusade.

No one was against this isolationism more than Boleslav. Part of him believed in the Crusade, while he had also hoped for a chance to test himself in a true battle. Boleslav understood there were many fine leaders in the Arab armies - armies which were also of larger size, not the puny few hundred the Hungarian nobles could muster. When Vlad refused to join the war Boleslav asked permission to join the war as a foreign observer. Vlad readily agreed - for obvious reasons.

Boleslav, upon arriving in Byzantium, was already disgusted with the state of the war. Vassik allowed Boleslav to attend a strategic meeting of high ranking officers, in which Vassik revealed the Byzantine army would move south, sweeping away all opposition. Boleslav immediately protested this moving, saying that it would be wiser to strike in the middle of Palestine, head straight for the Holy Land, and take it before the Muslims could raise an army. This would not only meet important goals early and boost morale, but also divide the Muslim powers in half. Vassik rebuffed this idea, declaring that Boleslav was here to observe, not dictate. The attack would continue as planned.

As Boleslav predicted, the attack went horrible. The Muslims could muster an army three times larger than Vassik’s, and the Byzantine emperor suffered a horrible defeat at the Battle of Aintab. The war became a battle of different sides attacking across the border and laying siege to any nearby enemy castle. Boleslav wrote home to his cousin that the war had become nothing more than a “costly skirmish.”

By 1159 the Crusade was still raging, and the Byzantines weren’t any closer to the Holy Land than they were before. In fact, a large Muslim offensive had pushed into Byzantium itself, striking down the middle towards the Black Sea. Vassik, who had led an army of 6,000 fresh troops down into the Middle east, had to turn away 50 miles from Damascus because of the situation back home. However, there was renewed hope with a troop of 700 troops who landed in western Palestine.

They were under control of Ibrahim Dukas, a Byzantine count who was ironically an ethnic Arab, though he had never been to the Middle East himself. His personal army of 700 was accompanied by many pilgrims, church officials, merchants, and foreign observers - including Boleslav. It was Boleslav who had suggested the move to Ibrahim. The Arab Orthodox, who had been there at the strategic meeting to hear Boleslav’s lecture to Vassik, took interest in the plan and now sought to enforce it. His army landed in Tripoli at the beginning of September and made straight for the prized city of the infidel: Damascus. The city fell on January 14, 1150, after a grueling four month siege.

The victory was short lived, however. Ibrahim received word from Vassik to return north to assist in the war back home. Boleslav begged Ibrahim to continue on while they had the initiative, but the count had to follow his emperor. As the army moved north, Boleslav made one last look down the road to Jerusalem and wept.

By 1161 the Crusade was dying down as each side began to lose interest in the war, and Boleslav had to return home. There was good reason - Vlad had passed away.

On August 12, 1161 Boleslav Trpimirovic was crowned King Boleslav I of Croatia. With much experience in many fields, he knew how to properly lead the nation. But that was another story…

[insert ending song from "The Neverending Story"]

-----------------------------​

And that, my friends, ends 100 years of Croatian history. It was very fun to write this and make up history, and I hope everyone enjoyed reading it. If only that CTD problem had been resolved before the game was released, this would never have happened. :(

Any who, let's recap our kings:

Petar Kresimir Trpimirovic IV
Bernardin "the Mad"
Vlad "The Wise"
Boleslav "The Brave"

And here's pretty much what Croatia looked like at the coronation of King Borislav:

croatia2sd.jpg

Ahh well, a shame indeed. A good AAR all the same.

What is this CTD problem you are talking about?

kramari said:
What is this CTD problem you are talking about?

I discussed it earlier in the thread. The save-file corrupted during an auto-save, a major problem in Crusader Kings, and something Paradox really hasn't addressed yet.

So when I finally get this game I should turn of the autosave? Does it happen during normal save.

Well I am sad to finally see this end, even though we knew it would happen some time ago. And great to see you back and finishing it up. I had wondered where you got off to.

Hope you plan on another AAR soon, HvK. Great job on this one!

kramari said:
So when I finally get this game I should turn of the autosave? Does it happen during normal save.

I wouldn't turn OFF the autosave - I would set it to happen the least. That way in case the game CTD's normally you'll at least have some kind of backup. And if the autosave corrupts you can always go to the old autosave.

Keep that in mind, and as you always should do in games, save after anything big happens ;)

And thanks to stnylan and coz1 for their kind words, as always. :cool: I've fiddled with the idea of another AAR, just not sure what to do. Might be another CK AAR, though I've finally gotten the hang of EUII. Well, who knows...?

If you want a challenge try a EU2 Croatia AAR, I tried it and my AAR ended on the second page. :(

kramari said:
If you want a challenge try a EU2 Croatia AAR, I tried it and my AAR ended on the second page. :(

Ha ha, I know what you mean, I tried Croatia in EUII once. Most of my game consisted of my troops getting pushed out of my country and praying that my allies understood my importance as a "buffer state" :rofl: