• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Perhaps, those Hussite schismatics should be beaten senseless for refusing the just barely Catholic Grand Duke! ;)

It wasn't any lithuanian AAR for long time... I like your stuff, keep on!

:D Me likes...

Long live brave Sir Robin and may he always continue to display his customary level of valour!

Incidentally, why is Lithuania's stability so low? I know you're a (technical) Catholic ruling lots of Orthodox provinces, but still...

Excellent AAR! It's good to see someone finally writing about Lithuania again, they're an interesting nation to play and make an interesting read. When are you planning on beginning to covert some of the Orthodox provinces?

Chapter 6: The Struggle for the Baltic Renewed

Zygimantis Kestutatis, known as “ziggy” to his friends, died in 1440 and was replaced as Grand Duke by Kazimierias (7/7/4). Kazimierias was to guide the Lithuanian nation for the next 52 years, and was known as Kazimierias the Old Goat to chroniclers of the time. Kazimierias opened his reign by attempting to increase Lithuanian mercantile presence in Novgorod and Kurland. He was largely unsuccessful and lost many merchants in the attempt. Trade practices of the 15th Century were somewhat different from those prevailing in our time. For instance, potential traders in Novgorod had to successfully muzzle a raging bear before they were allowed a stall in the marketplace. In Kurland, where exactly 20 spaces were available, all competing merchants participated in A new Year’s day swimming race in the Baltic, with spots to the top 20 finishers only. Apparently swimming and bear-wrestling were not widespread skills in Lithuania, as no Lithuanian merchant was able to maintain himself for any length of time in either CoT. Sadly, internal problems would soon raise their ugly head once more, and the Grand Duke could find no merchants willing to represent him for a number of years.

Lithuania’s years of external peace would end in 1446, when Poland declared war on Pomern. Lithuania declared war along with her allies, and the soldiers of the Lithuanian army were most excited, not because of the prospect of being marched off to a foreign country to kill people they didn’t know, but because times of war and rebellion were the only times in which the soldiers could expect to be paid on time and in full. During peacetime, the troops of the notoriously cheap Grand Dukes could expect only half their wages, and even that frequently arrived late or was paid in kind. To make matters worse, soldiers were often compelled to buy their own weapons, as Kazimierias frequently complained about the “simply outrageous price of pikes these days.” The soldiers nearly mutinied one month into the Pomeranian War, when they received their usual half-wages. The Grand Duke had to explain to them himself that Lithuania was planning to offer moral support only to the Polish cause and that no Lithuanian soldiers would be sent to the front. Kazimierias was hoping Poland would reap indemnities to be split from the war, and this premonition came true in 1447, when Pomern paid 300D for peace, making the First Pomeranian War a most profitable undertaking for Lithuania.

Peace was not to last, however, as Poland, thirsty for conquest, declared war on Prussia in 1450. Lithuanian troops were once again on the march, targeting the Teutonic Order as always. 10,000 Teutonic Knights moved into Polotsk to attempt to retake this former Knight province. Sir Robin bravely elected to lay siege to Kurland rather than contest the Order in Polotsk, trusting that his men would take the Order’s capital before the Order could occupy Polotsk. Robin’s brilliant plan came off without a hitch, Riga surrendered before Polotsk and the Order lifted the siege of Polotsk to return to their capital. Robin again avoided direct battle with the Order’s forces and moved around them to invest Livland. A second Lithuanian army numbering 12,000 attacked the Knights in Kurland, but the Order managed to defeat this force. However, once the fighting was over, there were no longer enough Knights to continue the siege. Robin took Livland and Estland in the meantime, leaving the Order’s lands completely under Lithuanian control. Kazimierias then offered peace on what he felt to be most generous terms—the Order would cede Estland and Livland to Lithuania and become a Lithuanian vassal. Here the Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order would prove himself a better diplomat than he was a solider. He refused Lithuania’s proposal and went over the head of the Grand Duke to make peace with Polish King, paying 125D to the alliance and ceding Livland to Lithuania. Kazimierias had been outmaneuvered by the Grandmaster, but he elected to make the best of bad situation and used his share of the reparations money to appoint his brother-in-law tax collector in Livland. The Prussian war ended soon afterwards with the Prussians paying a negligible tribute.

zacharym87 said:
For instance, potential traders in Novgorod had to successfully muzzle a raging bear before they were allowed a stall in the marketplace. In Kurland, where exactly 20 spaces were available, all competing merchants participated in A new Year’s day swimming race in the Baltic, with spots to the top 20 finishers only.

Great explanation! Now I finally understand why my merchants are so uncompetitive! Johan's secrets revealed at last! :D

Merrick: I´d also like to know why my stability as Lithuania is so chronically bad. I have lots of wrong-culture, wrong-culture wrong religion provinces and I´ve really bad luck with the random events, that´s all I can think of.

MAlexander06:First conversion attempts should come in the next installment. Glad you´re liking this AAR.

Cow Pie: I´ll see if I figure out a way to work in Robin´s theme song. If I don´t get in the AAR, you can just hum "when danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled..."

No worries about that stab, Scotland was the same for me, very broke and negative stab for ages with every event a stab hit. :( It will become easier as your trade and infra levels rise and when you get a couple conversions done (missionary or event).

A couple tips, make sure you remain a good boy. Bad boy at certain levels wrecks stab costs.

If an increase stab for money event happens, by all means take the pay money even if it forces a loan. This helped me early on and through the evil reformation and rise of Calvinism in Scotland.

Sir Robin did a fine job with the siege army, go, Sir Robin! :)

Chapter 7: And the Baltic Ran Red

When the Baltic War ended in 1454, internal stability in Lithuania reached unimaginable heights (+1), leading to the Golden Age of Kazimierias, which lasted all of 2 years before the peasants decided they were unhappy and revolted. (Quote from my notes—1456-unhappiness among the peasantry (aargh!!! Not again!) After silencing this latest revolt, the Vatican proposed sending a Franciscan friar to convert the heretics in Belarus, provided the Grand Duke would pay his expenses. Kazimierias was as cheap as any Grand Duke, but he needed the prestige, so he agreed. The correspondence between Kazimierias and his missionary was filled with remarks like, “Do you really need all those Bibles?” and “Isn’t there a cheaper place to hold the meeting?” Despite the fact that the Grand Duke considered him a profligate spender, when our Franciscan returned to Rome in 1459, the majority of the people in Belarus had become professing Catholics and the increased tax income pleased Kazimierias immensely. Kazimierias was so impressed that he recalled this same Franciscan in 1466 for a mission to Polotsk. The people of Polotsk soon abjured their heresies as well. The good news spread to Kursk as well shortly afterwards (random conversion event).

While the Grand Duke had been spreading the Faith among his people, his allies in Brandenburg decided to spread war to Pomern in 1469. The Second Pomeranian War (1469-70), in which Lithuania again gave moral support ended with Poland annexing the province of Hinterpomern and the alliance receiving 114D in reparations. In 1472, the Union of Lithuanian artists proposed the Grand Duke spend the money to build a Fine Arts Academy in the capital. The Grand Duke knew that such buildings were expensive, and was disinclined to build one. But when the artists pointed out that between the 12D extra income yearly and the free 5D/month in stability research the building would soon pay for itself, Kazimierias was convinced and construction work began. By 1474, the Academy was finished. Inside was housed the world’s finest collection of Lithuanian woodcarvings. The burghers were so inspired that they doubled the size of the fortress guarding Mozyr with money from their own savings (event). The upsurge of pride caused by Arts Center didn’t last long, and by 1476 the peasants were unhappy yet again.

By 1478, the Baltic coast had been at peace for 8 years, as this was obviously far too long a period of peace, Poland declared war on Prussia once again. Robin and his men moved to Estland, which was besieged and captured by Lithuanian forces, while Poland trounced the Knightly army and captured Kurland in short order. Poland then dictated terms to the Order, which was forced to cede Estland to Lithuania and become a Polish vassal. In 1481, Prussia offered Kazimierias a simple no-tribute peace, and Lithuania was out of the war, which continued until 1484, when Prussia paid 18 ducats to Poland for peace.

For a poor sprawling country it seems to me you have done very well! Kudos for those successful conversions -- that's sure to help your stability immensely. By the way, what's your serfdom DP? You may be able to avoid many of those "unhappiness among the peasants" events if you lower it.

Let's hear some more of Sir Robin's exploits. :D

Chapter 8: The Lithuanian Drang Nach Osten Begins

By 1485, Kazimierias the Old Goat was certainly living up to his name. He offered Poland the chance to become a Lithuanian vassal that year, and he took the Polish refusal as a personal insult. On his eastern frontier, meanwhile, The Golden Horde was on the verge of collapsing yet again. Kazimierias had for many years been searching for a casus belli against the Horde, but his best machinations to date had all failed. In 1486, he elected to declare war on the Mongols notwithstanding his lack of a CB. The people of Lithuania were most upset by this action, but as Kasimierias and his government were hated already, stability didn’t change much (fell from –2 to –3). The Golden Horde territories, half of which were in rebel hands, proved easy pickings, and soon Voronoes, Bogutjar, Saratow, and Ufa were occupied by Lithuanian forces. The agile Lithuanian Hussars had easily scattered the few small detachments of soldiers the Horde managed to muster in its defense, and by 1488, the war seemed sure to produce a crushing Lithuanian victory.

The latter half of the 1st Eastern War (1486-91) would prove a major disappointment for Lithuania, both due to the intransigence of the Golden Horde in peace negotiations and due to the intervention of the Ak Koyonlu, a sheep-loving Turkic people who had allied themselves with the Horde. Forces from the Ak Koyonlu arrived at the front in late 1488, and retook Bogutjar from its Lithuanian occupiers. Lithuanian troops were able to take Bogutjar for a second time shortly afterwards, but then they had to ride north to displace the armies of the Ak Koyonlu who were camped outside Ryazan. The Lithuanians secured a narrow victory in Ryazan, but then there appeared on the scene 30,000 of the Ak Koyonlu’s dreaded sheep-riders, who rode to battle on the backs of their menacing armored war-sheep. In 1491, with the fearsome sheep-riders besieging Ufa and war-exhaustion revolts beginning back home, Kazimierias decided it was high time to put an end to the war. He instructed his diplomats as follows: “We have a 46% warscore, demand as much as you can up to 23-24% and they’ll have no choice but to accept.” Kazimierias’ diplomats were rather bewildered by these instructions, which marked the beginnings of senility in the Old Goat, but they understood the point and moderated their demands. The Golden Horde finally agreed to surrender Saratow, Vorones, and 75 ducats to secure a 5-year peace with Lithuania. In the aftermath of the war, junior officers Mykola Radivil (3/2/2) and Mykhalo Glynskiy (3/2/4) were promoted to the ranks of full commander. Radivil was given command of the Lithuanian infantry and Glinskiy was appointed to lead the Hussars.

Peace had come none too soon, for by 1492 Kazimierias the Old Goat was dead. The Estates chose the mediocre Alexsandras I (3/6/3) as Grand Duke (r. 1492-1506). In 1493, Poland declared war on Prussia, and the 4th Baltic War (1493-98) began. Lithuania had few aims in this war and conducted purely defensive campaigns. Prussia sent 2,000 warriors to attack Vilnius, Alexsandras thought it a joke and Mykola Radivil and his 18,000 strong infantry division quickly crushed this force. Forces from Brandenburg would ultimately overrun the Prussian capital, and peace was signed in 1498 with Prussia forced to pay 425D in reparations to the alliance.

ScreenSave3.JPG

A map from the Lithuania Cartography Office from 1492. Confusingly, Lithuania and Tuscany have the same color leading many to mistakenly believe Donetsk to be Lithuanian, when it was, in fact, Tuscan.

Last edited:
Hmm, your kingdom is large if relatively formless (no natural boundaries), and Norway sure is big.

Rafjorbro: I hope to push the Horde over to the other side of the Volga, but that needs another war or two. Btw, that's Denmark that's gotten so big up there, they diploannexed Norway and then took a big bite out of Sweden. England got those two colonies north of the Arctic though. Aragon took Jylland as well in case anyone wonders what that grey is up there.

Jwolf: Tuscany went to war with the Horde as part of Genoa's alliance and took Donetsk for some reason. Haven't you heard of the great artist Leonardo da Donetsk ;) ? Tuscany has given me military acess through their territory though, so I march through it plenty. The Horde's had it's usual tough time, I forget if it happened by the last scrennie or not, but their capital's been moved to Kouban, of all places, and their government has fallen upteen times. The future of the region should be interesting.

Last edited:
Chapter 9: A New Russian War

While Lithuania had been slowly building a Baltic Empire despite combatting chronic internal instability during the 15th Century, the principality of Muscovy was also growing. Muscovy's growth had been slowed by its defeat at Lithuanian hands during the Ryazan war back in the 1420s, but it had amply recovered and was now virtual hegemon of northern Russia. A long and fraticidal war between Pskov and Novgorod had helped Muscovy's cause a great deal, though Pskov had occupied several territories belonging to Novgorod and the Teutonic Order at one point, her diplomats failed to secure a peace that would recognize Pskov's power. Meanwhile the effort had so depleted Pskov's forces that the state proved easy prey for Muscovy. Muscovy had also peacefully absorbed her vassal Suzdal and conquered land from Novgorod the Once Great now known as Novgorod the Desperately Struggling for Survival.

Novgorod received aid in its bid to remain independent from Lithuania, who wanted to keep Novogord's CoT out of Muscovite hands. This desire led to Grand Duke Alexsandras' guarnteeing Novgorod's independence. When Muscovy went to war with Novgorod in violation of this guarantee in 1503, Lithuania responded by declaring war on Muscovy. Novgorod raised a large army and sent it against the Muscovites. Though Novgorod's army was beaten, Musocy's forces were weakened to the point that Lithuanian troops bested them easily in Tver, which was soon occupied by the Grand Duke's armies. General Radivil and the Lithuanian infantry, joined by new recruits from Novgorod, marched upon the Muscovite capital while General Glinksy led the Hussars against Muscovy's eastern provinces, thus opening a second front. The 2-front approach proved too much for the Prince of Muscovy, who acknowledged defeat in 1508, surrendering Tambow, Tver, and 78 ducats indemnities to Lithunia, while paying a 99 ducat indemnity to Novgorod.

Sadly, Alexsandras I died in 1506 before his victory was complete. The Estates, knowing a qualified leader was necessary in a time of war, chose Zygimantas I Stary (6/6/4) as the new Grand Duke. Zygimantas I saw the successful conclusion of the war with Musocvy and then announced new domestic policies, increasing the power of the Grand Duke relative to the magnates (+1 Centralization). The peasants were unhappy with these new policies, and rebellious millenarians in Jedisan revolted in 1513, plunging the realm back into its usual chaos (stab to -3). Though General Glinksy's troops managed to pacify Jedisan during the winter of 1513, Russian nationalists in Tver saw their chance and rebelled in 1514. The Tver revolutionaries miscalcualted however, as fresh Lithuanian troops were available to crush the 1514 revolt.

Chapter 10: The Trade Crusade

A glance inside the Curia around 1510 would have given one a glimpse on a troubled Pope. He was agonizing his mind on the problem of the Mongol Empire of the Golden Horde, which was somehow still hanging around on good Christian land while the much stronger Christian principalities nearby made war upon each other. Of these principalities the Pope had come to be impressed by the Lithunians, whose armies had proven equally effective against the Kinghts of the Teutonic Order and the schismatic Russians. Lithuania had fought the Mongols and won some border towns, but they had wussed out when the Mongols brought in Turkic allies in numbers. As he paced his study, the Pope wondered what could be done to spur the Lithuanian Grand Duke and his army on to a true crusade designed to push back the barbarous Mongols. Finally he hit upon what, in retrospect, seemed a painfully obvious solution, appeal to the Duke's greed. With that a letter was dispatched for Vilnius quoting figures on the extent of trade revenues from Astrakhan. The letter had its desired effect for the Pope soon heard that Grand Duke Zygimantas had declared war upon the Golden Horde and their allies the Ak Koyonlu.

The Pope's scheme had indeed worked to perfection, not only had Zygimantas sent his armies against the Mongols, he had appointed as General a strategic mastermind called Ostrozskiy. As Ostrozskiy and the Hussars rode east, they quickly scattered the few characteristically small contingents the Horde had gathered in its defense. Ostrozskiy's skills as a siege tactician were amply demonstrated by the speed with which the border fortresses of Bogutjar, Lugansk, and Kalmuk were occupied. Ostrozskiy and his men then moved against Kouban, the capital of the Golden Horde, which fell after a brutal year-long siege. The Horde had once again placed its hopes in its allies the Ak Koyonlu, whose dreaded sheep-riders appeared upon the scene afresh. Many expected Ostrozskiy to retire in the face of the fearsome enemy, but the great Genreal stood his ground, where he dealt the sheep-riders a decisive defeat at the Battle of Lugansk. The myth of the invincible sheep-riders was forever shattered. As Ostrozskiy pursued the fleeing sheep-riders, his hussars crossed the border into Ak Koyonlu territory, where the city of Astrakhan was soon found and besieged.

After the fall of Astrakhan, Ostrozskiy's forces preceded to Dagestan, where another Ak Koyonlu army was vanquished and the city captured. They then moved against mountainous Armenia, hoping to score the knockout blow. Despite his successes, Ostrozskiy and his men were far from home, and their supply lines were stretched perilously thin. The siege of Armenia lasted longer than anyone expected, and this proved a liability for Lithuania, as Mongol forces retook Bogutjar while rebels forced the surrendered of the Lithuanian garrison at Astrakhan before handing the city back to the Horde. Thus when Armenia fell at last, there was still work to be done. Ostrozskiy began by capturing Astrakhan for the second time in three years, after which the Sultan of the Ak Koyonlu agreed to surrender Astrakhan in return for Lithuanian evacuation of Dagestan and Armenia and a 5-year truce. This still left the Horde and the campaign entered the "land-bridge" phase, as Ostrozskiy captured Volgograd from the Horde while Lithuanian reserves were retaking Bogutjar. At last Zygimantas was ready to lay down peace terms to the Horde. By the Treaty of Donetsk, signed on January 1, 1521, Bogutjar, Lugansk, and Volgograd passed into Lithuanian hands. The Horde was also required to pay 100 ductas in reparations.

The Trade Crusade of 1514-21 was among the most important events of the early 16th Century in Eastern Europe and Western Asia. It signified a new, distinctly eastward-looking outlook for the Lithuanian state, as Astrakhan was easily Lithuania's wealthiest terriotry. The Horde was crippled in the years after the conflict, with the capital seperated from the bulk of the state's population and manpower by a Lithuanian corridor. As for the Ak Koyonlu, the war signified the end of their period of greatness. In the years to follow, Persia and the Ottoman Empire would defeat the Ak Koyonlu in one war after another, leaving the Ak Koyonlu state to shrink ever further. By the end of the Century the state would be wholly absorbed into its expansionist neighbors.

ScreenSave4.JPG

A regional map from 1521

Nice update. Astrakhan is always a good target. :) How are your stability costs and tech levels? I'm worried your Lithuania may be turning into a fat, poor, backwards monstrosity that could be picked apart by Sweden, Austria, and Turkey. But you certainly contained the Russians. Maybe you should take Samara from the Golden Horde. By the way, what are your territorial goals in this game?

I just read this one fro start to finish. I love Sir Robin and was humming the song as I read of his mighty exploits. He must be old and dead by now so we will need a Son of Sir Robin to take the mantle of the chicken forward to greatness!

Are you going to take Siberia corridor?
Must admit that I like your AAR :)