• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Probablyhighpi

Recruit
15 Badges
Mar 20, 2022
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
Hi all,

I would really appreciate a step-by-step noob guide to downloading a Mod for Darkest Hour. And When I mean noob, I really mean noob. I can play computer games well, but when some of the guides I read start talking about exe files my head hurts.

I play the game through Steam, I don't know if this makes a difference at all.

Also, I would love a recommendation for a really good mod to download. Not really interested in Kaisereich, as I like playing semi-historical. Just a Mod that gives the game even more depth, events, improved AI etc.

A lot to ask but many thanks in advance!!

For Axis in terms of events and history Edge of Darkness (EoD) should suit you quite fine (you can either play version 2.2.22 which is fine or somewhere within the thread a bit hidden there is also a version 2.3 but unfortunately with some graphical minister problems for Italy. I've played EoD 2.2.22 and was quite impressed about the additionial content for China and I think EoD in general is adding a lot of spice (events and history) for the Asian theatre and my guess is that this is also true for Japan (which I haven't played yet).

In terms of Axis also:
Germany: Reichs Expansion Pack
Italy: Project Italy (specific Italy improvements: graphics, events, history)
If you find the highest difficulty too easy, try Germany with World in Flames II (WiF2) but don't come back and complain that Barbarossa is insanely difficult ;-)

EODAIP specifically focusses on AI-improvements and, if I recall correctly, uses EoD as a base (don't remember which version but you can read up in the linked thread).

And quite some more... (above is a rather small and also subjective collection):
If a bit confused, my usual recommendation for the first time (if it is your first time): a playthrough with vanilla DH full. Afterwards you have a much better base to understand what people are talking about in the mod-threads.

The very lively sub-sections for Mods (many are also still in progress and the modders hang around responding and improving):
Darkest Hour - User Modifications

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi all,

I would really appreciate a step-by-step noob guide to downloading a Mod for Darkest Hour. And When I mean noob.

Take a moment to think of the file system of your computer. In the Folder Darkest Hour there is another folder called mods. In there, you must put the mod. Some mods are so old that internet speeds were a concern at under a gigabyte and they therefore make you not just unpack the mod, but do it on a clone you're meant to pre-create of Darkest Hour Full (when you then "install" or more literally overwrite (remove old files and replace with new files with no discrimination) on this copy of DH full, you would only need the files actually modded to do so.

Ping if you still need help, I'll even mirror the mod packed in the simplest way, then make a video of me installing it and put it on youtube.

But if you understand that mods belong in the mods folder which is in the installation folder (check on steam how to get there or its probably C:\GoG Games\Darkest Hour\mods.

If you can end up in the folder Darkest Hour\Mods with the mod archive ready to sit next to Darkest Hour Light and Darkest Hour Full, you've done it in most cases. Having the entire mod in Darkest Hour\Mods is how to install a mod.