Hearts of IronIII: Their Finest Hour. Dev diary 2. Combat Tactics and Armour/Piercing

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why do they need to charge tanks?

Also, what exactly do tanks defend in the open field?

But if you`re so sure, you may probably come up with a number of good examples of armour without infantry support destroying infantry en mase
:cool:
A tank brigade in HoI3 represents about 200 tanks and an infantry division about 9000 rifle soldiers. So in order for a tank to win it needs to beat about 45 soldiers each, although less then half is probably enough to make them flee.

The Panzer IV for example had 3 machine guns and over 5000 rounds to spare for that task before having to resupply.

Is it really so hard to imagine that the rolling pillbox the tank actually is will defeat unsupported Infantry in open terrain on their own???

I'm not claiming that Armour is invincible but what I don't agree with is these two things that you claimed:

1.) That "Armour is not supposed to fight infantry" (then why are pretty much all tank models equipped with multiple machine-guns?)
2.) That infantry can "kill tanks really easy" regardless of terrain.

In fact I'm guessing the new Armor/piercing model is meant to better model the difficulties infantry had with knocking out tanks without big enough caliber AT weapons!

germany had a special award for it. the "Panzervernichtungsabzeichen". it was awarded to soldiers which had destroyed an enemy tank in close combat as lone fighter. around 18.541 were awarded. Oberstleutnant Günther Viezenz alone received 21.
And do you think most of these managed to get close to the enemy tanks and knock them out in open terrain like desert or steppe?
The panzerfaust which probably resulted in a big amount of these kills wasn't very accurate further away then about 20-30m, molotovs, sticky bombs, mines and grenades even closer.

I already said infantry should slaughter tanks in close quarters where terrain allows them to get close.

Last edited:
In fact I'm guessing the new Armor/piercing model is meant to better model the difficulties infantry had with knocking out tanks without big enough caliber AT weapons!

A few weeks back there was a docu on TV about Patton in France, with survivors of US Armour divisions talking. here is the basic gist of what they said, as it pertains to this discussion:

1. the only 2 things that really scared those brave tank men were Tigers and 88. their words, not mine.
2. infantry could "easily" destroy a tank IF they got on the driver's blind side (in combat a tank was almost blind). they could toss grenades through the slits or against the tracks themselves (you kow, the "wheels").
3. when faced with any tank on a frontal basis, all they could do is hide and seek.

the problem is: how do you translate the tank guys' limited view to the game? how do you translate the fact that a tank that couldn't move was basically a sitting duck (granted, one with a big gun)?

What about infantry Faustpatrone and it's penetration? Will Waffen-SS units have this option to fight enemy tanks?

I wonder why didn't countries try making grenade-resistant tanks.

In-game Armour of all types gets a negative modifier when attacking urban provinces AFAIK. This is an attempt to simulate the vulnerability of AFVs of all kinds to close quarter combat such as city streets where a soldier could easily drop all sorts of nasties on top of an AFV from a window for example. Infantry in an open field will be easily suppressed by a small number of tanks who could be fielding 2-3 forward firing MGs each, the only effective response the infantry would have is anti-tank weapons (i.e. AT guns in-game, or AT infantry techs).

I wonder why didn't countries try making grenade-resistant tanks.

The Germans tried using bird-cage style armour if memory serves, but it proved a PITA to make. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slat_armor

Ahh TACTICS! I always wanted that feature in HOI. Sorta like this from SCW in original DoD

pic375692_md.jpg

Not a problem. The AT "brigade" in a division is a support unit, right? It doesn't fight on its own, it gets broken up into separate AT-batteries or companies, which are then assigned to the INF regiments/battalions to bolster them. Thus it makes perfect sense that the AT stats for AP gets used for the whole division.

Yes, that makes sense.

it if you consider that most of them were stationed inside germany it is a small number. a heavy flak battery had only four 88mm guns. one battalion 2-3 batteries. those were the biggest units you could find on the front and they were rare.
just because you heard much propaganda about a weapon does't mean it should be specual. normal artillery killed more tanks but you would never demand a spezial anti-tank-field-artillery regiment...

Rubbish.

1- How many field guns existed compared to the 88? Obvious more tanks would be fired upon by artillery than 88.
2- 88 was made to hit moving targets and its crew was trained to do that as well, and it fired in a flat trajectory. Try doing that with a 105mm. It would be MUCH more innacurate, and it would reload more slowly. It´s obvious that due to having a huge caliber (105, 120, or 150mm) it WOULD kill a tank with HEAP rounds, and smaller ones with HE ammo. That doesn´t mean it was tactically sound to bring them to 2000 meters and try to fire at tanks. It was done in bad tactical situations. All countries doctrines focused on using anti-tank guns to kill tanks. Look at the link I´ve posted that talks about REAL situations. The thing that killed the most british tanks in North Africa were 88 and AT guns. Not artillery.

Just as I said just give better stats to german AA, and it´s done.

And no one answered how with the current tech tree the superiority of Russian armor can be represented. Having german heavy tanks in 1939 is silly.

This is all besides the point anyways, as it has already been pointed out, that giving Ari little to no armor piercing capabilities is a matter of balancing the brigades and of gameplay.

For the same reason, german AA shouldnt get better stats, just for being german. There should be a tech for AA to raise its HA/AP and germany should maybe be more advanced than other nations in certain scenarios. That´s how these things are modeled in the game: You specialize your force - but specializiation isnt forced on you.

the problem is: how do you translate the tank guys' limited view to the game? how do you translate the fact that a tank that couldn't move was basically a sitting duck (granted, one with a big gun)?

Well, you can't, since the game operates on a way bigger scale. The limited view question would relate to situation awareness for a few people inside the tank, which would in the game be improved by command and control, radio communication, recon vehicles, etc. Something which doctrines are supposed to represent, and maybe even the AC-brigade? Now that AC brigade is perhaps too simplified as recon. I rarely use it for armored divisions. Anyway that is about the detail level you can get to in such a game.

Even this AP value feature is kinda detail scale for such a game, but I still hope it will work better though, and add to the game something it lacked. Things related to such details, for example the facts that vets talk about in your docu, are implemented into organization value and other tech stats in the game, that would for example add to an 88mm gun with AP ammo, giving a new damage value when both the good HA value and the AP value of such a gun works together it would be more dangerous to tanks in the game. When people here are discussing this tank warfare i see they go way into details, while the game simply can't reflect details other than through overall stats like these. Tanks vs infantry warfare using smaller handheld antitank weapons, would in the same manner be represented by an inf units HA value, but i suppose with non-existant or very low AP-value for infantry as it should be, and by tech improvement rising, also you could imagine an inf brigade having an AT-company or regiment or something smaller representing a weaker AP-value, but the AT-brigade unit would be cool if it can add something new that is useful in the expansion. It sounds like they are trying to do that :)

Last edited:
This is all besides the point anyways, as it has already been pointed out, that giving Ari little to no armor piercing capabilities is a matter of balancing the brigades and of gameplay.

For the same reason, german AA shouldnt get better stats, just for being german. There should be a tech for AA to raise its HA/AP and germany should maybe be more advanced than other nations in certain scenarios. That´s how these things are modeled in the game: You specialize your force - but specializiation isnt forced on you.

Good idea!
some history:
the 88 was used already in SCW as AT gun and was in comparison to other hvy AA guns also able to be used against ground targets by design..
So a technology advance to have this AA weapon also able in an AT role.. ->"Dual role AA gun"..
Being able to hit your opponent ~1500 meters before he could effectiveley hit you means also a lot..
The weapon was seen as so superior that Allies printed english manuals for captured guns..
How effective the 88 was, can bee seen in Battle of Abbeville in '40 where a single Inf Div backed up by 88's defeated ~400 tanks(over ~250 lost..)
The GER should gain that special little extra buff then through the SCW, while other could research it too. But wich tech to use? Wouldn't that require a new one?

Rubbish.

1- How many field guns existed compared to the 88? Obvious more tanks would be fired upon by artillery than 88.
2- 88 was made to hit moving targets and its crew was trained to do that as well, and it fired in a flat trajectory. Try doing that with a 105mm. It would be MUCH more innacurate, and it would reload more slowly. It´s obvious that due to having a huge caliber (105, 120, or 150mm) it WOULD kill a tank with HEAP rounds, and smaller ones with HE ammo. That doesn´t mean it was tactically sound to bring them to 2000 meters and try to fire at tanks. It was done in bad tactical situations. All countries doctrines focused on using anti-tank guns to kill tanks. Look at the link I´ve posted that talks about REAL situations. The thing that killed the most british tanks in North Africa were 88 and AT guns. Not artillery.

Just as I said just give better stats to german AA, and it´s done.

And no one answered how with the current tech tree the superiority of Russian armor can be represented. Having german heavy tanks in 1939 is silly.

it not rubbish its the truth. the 88 was only used because germany didn't have a working anti tank gun. the rest is just propaganda. a artillery regiment had as many heavy artillery guns as a flak regiment had 88mm flaks. they destroyed much more tanks so artillery should receive a bonus. infantry destroyed many tanks using infantry support guns and in close combat. should they get a bonus too?
all major countries had anti air guns they could use and did use against tanks. they didn't do it as often because they had suitable anti tank guns too.
in hoi3 all countries have the same techs and thats how it supposed to work. nothing is representing the inferior german tanks and anti tank weapons either. if german anti air gets a bonus against tanks then german tanks and anti tank units need a malus.

Yeah also similar was the case with a soviet KV-2 tank, that had a huge 155mm gun, just a single one of these heavy tanks held up and delayed an entire german infantry division by 1 week, just because it was in their way, shooting at them if they moved too close. That was in the start of Barbarossa. It's like an artillery gun that was armored so much that german 37mm AT guns were totally ineffective. I suppose german infantry was mainly equipped with these 37mm guns at that time, and 88mm was rare in infantry divisions. Thats the reason why they had to delay so much, but in the end the KV-2 was destroyed somehow (probably airstrike, or flanked by panzers?) and barbarossa continued.

Btw, I dont think that giving a country a specific bonus would be a good idea, but you could make the Heavy AA guns tech so that it also improve anti-tank weapons. Then any country could choose this if they like. A small bonus to AT stats while slightly nerfing the AA bonus from the tech would indicate using a smaller amount of them in dual role.

Last edited:
Comsub stop using straw men. There were thousand more artillery guns than 88, and just as you said most 88 were BEHIND front lines. It´s obvious that more artilery fired on tanks than 88. It´s obvious there were more close combat engagements between infantry and armor. That is represented already by both units having hard attack and therefore being able to kill tanks...

I´ve never said 88 killed MORE tanks, just that it was MORE efficient than ANY weapon Germany had until long 75mm on a 1 per 1 basis. That is FACT. I liked Chromos idea. And BTW no one uses AA guns when invading France or SU. The unit is pointless, period. Let´s do a test shall we? Ask everyone who is playing a MP game to send a save game and check how many people use AA on their frontline units.

But enough about history discussions. What about the new combat events system?

Last edited:
Armour doesn't become invincible when A>P, it just takes half damage.

Dev dude, is this a binary test to apply the 'half damage', or a scaled linear test...? i.e.

IF: A<P
THEN: Damage

IF: A>P
THEN: Damage x 0.5

Or

func: Damage x (0.5+(A-P)) [or similar scaling function]

A = Armour value
P = Penetration value

Because, if it is a binary test, then that tipping point where A is approximately equal to P, means that for very little change in armour value from a tech upgrade your entire army goes from being able to attack 'once' to being able to attack 'twice' with a single tech upgrade either way. However as I'm sure many people will appreciate, the ability for anti-tank guns to piece various grades of armour was also as much to do with the engagement range of the gun with the tank, as the gun itself. It wasn't a simple case of 'it could penetrate the armour or not' (except with the most armoured variants).

Therefore in that context, the game mechanic if its binary could in principle be 'game breaking' since it forces you in effect to prioritise both AT and Armour values to the highest degree, because you are talking about a bonus of +100% effectiveness for your tank units, or not.

In that sense, it is totally gamey, and you are doing yourself a great disservice in not priorising and not researching to full. Because this is the optimum strategy, all players will follow this research path, thus netting a 'zero' overall effect, thus making this mechanic worthless between majors, and only serve to nerf minors and the AI yet more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand, I hope it is a linear scaling of effect, so that as Penetration passes Armour, you gain that 'double damage' mark, but say you were just below that mark, say 5P to 6A, then your 1.666 'double damage' for example.

This would be a better mechanic, because it would account for the fact that AT gunners could hold fire to closer ranges before firing, or very heavy armoured tanks could literally have shells bounce off them, much like the Japanese found to their horror against the T-34s and other tanks during the fall of Manchuria because they hadn't upgraded their AT guns since about 1934.

It would also mean that non prioritised AT guns can still have an effect, albeit at a lesser value, rather than AT guns being either "yes, can do!" or "No, your screwed!" if it is binary. Not to mention, CA bonuses as well as needing HA attack as well all adding to completly nerf minor armies...

I do strongly hope that it is a scaled test for the sake of the game.

@Whoever posted;
...Also it would be cool if artillery got some new features in expansion such as increased org-damage in addition to normal damage. Artillery really stirred up things, and could weaken armoured forces as well by destroying support units and supplies and trucks with infantry.

No, I don't think their should be anything like this, the 'big guns' with such ranges for counter battery bombardment and similar were hardly improved in WWII from the Great War, indeed in barrel size and calibre there was little to no difference on the heavy field howitzers, what changed was gun carriage design, to have trailers capable of being pulled on the roads by truck, rather than dismantled and to be carried by separate horses. Indeed as a side note, infantry field guns were typically limited at around about the 4 tonnes mark so that horses could transport them.

Because of the weight constraint which had to include barrel, mount, recoil damper and recuperators, such field guns were limited funder mentally in their range, to being LOS only weapons, unless somebody could radio in fire missions. Hence could not 'stir things up' unless you already had forward troops 'calling the iron rain' so to speak.

The corps level gun-howitzers (the ones with range for rear bombardment) were relatively few in number. HoI doesn't well represent these guns and nor could it, as guns attached to corps level HQ would not be able to attack. Thus we must assume such pieces are already incorporated into ART brigades, which they themselves are shared out amongst the infantry brigades in a division.

From this point of view, the number of large guns capable of firing into the enemies rear or for counter-battery rolls is very small compared to numbers of troops. Therefore it doesn't make too much sense to go round upgrading the 'org damage' because when we are talking perhaps 15 guns or less per brigade for support, the impact of the heavy artillery is simply non exsitent.

All that above said, there were several battles and sieges where large numbers of heavy field artillery were present, and did have a great effect in disorganising the defence and rear logistics. Yet, I feel that given within the HOI game such battles typically have multiple divisions involved, all with their own ART brigades, that more than accounts for gun concentration.

Just for some background rationale ;).

Last edited:
just to point out the 88 18/36 were used as artillery support also with a range of 14km. and were not specially a tank buster, just very good at it.

the 88 37 was the pure AA gun.

disregarding later models.

from "88 mm FLAK" by Osprey

Yeah also similar was the case with a soviet KV-2 tank, that had a huge 155mm gun, just a single one of these heavy tanks held up and delayed an entire german infantry division by 1 week, just because it was in their way, shooting at them if they moved too close. That was in the start of Barbarossa. It's like an artillery gun that was armored so much that german 37mm AT guns were totally ineffective. I suppose german infantry was mainly equipped with these 37mm guns at that time, and 88mm was rare in infantry divisions. Thats the reason why they had to delay so much, but in the end the KV-2 was destroyed somehow (probably airstrike, or flanked by panzers?) and barbarossa continued.

That KV-2 was eventually set on fire by close infantry assault on a target in the open, despite the casualties.

The introduction of Panzerfaust, Panzershrek, and Bazooka weapons made armor far less capable of overrunning infantry, and tied the armor even more tightly to its supporting infantry. Infantry already has its share of HA in the game, to represent the small number of lighter AT pieces attached at Divisional, Brigade, or even Company level. Infantry AT Weapon research shouldn't cause a significant increase in HA (if any), but boost AP noticably. Researching the seperate AT units techs would essentially boost HA by assigning more of the AT guns at lower levels of organization. AT guns should allow the unit to essentially trade fire with Armor at range, while Inf AT Weapons would prevent or reduce the effect of overruns.

By Barbarossa, Germany was already trying to rectify the problem of weak AT weapons by manufacturing 50mm AT guns, and eventually some 75mm guns as well. It would take several years to produce enough to replace all of the older 37mm equipment, so the process was never 100% completed, even by war's end. The use of 88mm AA guns against armor was an emergency measure, turned into "semi-common practice" due to its surprising success. Eventually, the widespread introduction of portable AT weapons made it virtually impossible for unsupported armor to flush infantry out of cover.

Somehow, I see this whole Armor Piercing vs Armor Value addition as a can of worms: one more thing to do in Multi-player that the AI won't be able to deal with properly in Single-player mode. Meanwhile, the political situation is just weird, the exploits and issues with the wargoals system are unacceptable, and there are a host of other issues; this seems to be a flashy way of diverting attention from the real problems...."Ooooh, shiny!"

Will this also apply to ships? Would seem like it could be a useful thing to make the bigger ships tougher.