Hearts of Iron IV Hands-on previews from PDXCon15

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is the tech part :

"Teknologiträdet är egentligen ett antal olika träd, och för närvarande kan jag ha fyra projekt igång samtidigt. Detta kommer att variera från land till land, men fyra blir absolut max och om du vill bli världsledande på flygplan eller artilleri, måste du offra något annat. Ett tips är att förbättra din industriella kapacitet och uppgradera dina infanterivapen tämligen omgående, eftersom det är ett billigt och snabbt sätt att skaffa bra grundförutsättningar." (Source).

Loosely translated :

The technology chain is really a number of different trees, and currently i can have 4 projects running concurrently. This will vary between nations, but 4 in total is the absolute maximum, and if you are wanting to be the world leader in aircraft or artillery, you will have to sacrifice other areas. One tip is to improve your industrial capacity and upgrade your infantry weapons immediately, as it is a cheap and quick way to improve your foundation".

Last edited:
What do you even mean? HOI4 looks like it'll have a battle window just like HOI3. What exactly are you missing?
What i mean is, the game seems to be having another mechanic that will effect your political capital based on losses you take. How does that particular system work (i am not talking about your normal pop up windows). I've not played Black ICE, so i've not experienced anything like that.

Thank you. This brings some light into the yet dimmed area of research. A max of 4 sounds a bit limiting but might be alright if the number of technologies isn't too big. In contrast to HoI 3 where the big powers had some 20-25 faceless and little impacting projects running at every moment of the game, i like this prospect much more.

Yet, i feel intrigued to know more about the tech tree areas and the amount of time a project needs. Are there any differences in tech team quality when it comes to research speed? Would be worth a dev diary on it's own. :)

The technology chain is really a number of different trees, and currently i can have 4 projects running concurrently. This will vary between nations, but 4 in total is the absolute maximum, and if you are wanting to be the world leader in aircraft or artillery, you will have to sacrifice other areas. One tip is to improve your industrial capacity and upgrade your infantry weapons immediately, as it is a cheap and quick way to improve your foundation".

Thanks a lot for the translation Centurion & Placidragon.

4 research path, that's not very much... And very chalenging ! I absolutly love that ! Having strong dilemna such as prioritizing the doctrines over new fancy Equipment... Having better land tech and leaving behind naval tech... I love it !