Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 6 - Division Design

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wonder how enormous, unwieldy and useless Soviet prewar formations will be played out.
Overall - more choices, which is good in designing your dream division.
I am afraid that German flexibility is also not possible in this type of setup.
No more making 10 engineer brigades and attaching to various units in appropriate terrain, which is a shame.
This is a point!!

Definitely, the option to create single brigates-battallions-batteries to be individually assigned to where they are needed, should be kept, definitely.

So if I understand correctly, a minor nation, or a nation that hasn't been at war can't field proper Divisions because... magical experience points?
And even worse, those magical experience points aren't a limit for divisions as single units, but instead as division building as a whole?

Wouldn't it be much easier and make a lot more of sense to just have those experience points count towards some kind of combined arms bonus aka combat efficiency of the divisions?
Or maybe something like stacking penalties for those who use too large divisions without the experience? Meaning that I can be the person responsible for building my own divisions and the person responsible for them being useless or not?

This sounds like if I choose a country that enters the war on later years I will only be able to build useless divisions, and just a few of them...

Oh and we just won't be able to make special divisions on the fly due to combat/terrain/whatever circumstances? You know just like it happened and happens every day in every war?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Then again.... demonstrated in history time and time again, most countries militaries in peace time become institutionalised bastions of conservatism, defend the status quo, resist change, for example they like the troops to whiten stones on the parade ground and polish the webbing to sparkling.

It seems to take a cold hard shock of humiliating defeat to face up to: Replacing the old establishment bosses; Learning new tricks, Instigate technical changes.

It's great the game has a mechanic to simulate this.

Reactions:
It is an interesting new way to go about things though it sounds like it will add a lot of micomanagement. We shall see. I guess my old HOI3 days of having 2 inf and 2 art per infantry unit as my backbone are over. That was a great way to get lots of capability for little man power so I used a lot of it in the early war in HOI3.

Reactions:
I kindly wish a dev would go through diaries 1-15 and requote podcat and any other dev who had their dev flag turned off for those dev diaries as "show dev entries only" does not work on 1-15.

Reactions:
I find the development diaries and World War Weds makes me really excited about the game where as before I planned on waiting for the first expansion before buying so prices went down and bugs got fixed before I jumped in. I am actually now thinking about doing what I did for EU3 and HOI3 IN jumping in on release day. I hope they put more effort into ironing out bugs before launch; I know they always fix their games but I do dislike feeling like I paid to beta test.

Well, I scanned the forums and did a search, and it seems my question has not yet been asked (or at least I'm unable to find it)...so.....

Looking at the division designer window from the dev diary, it "appears" that a division has a maximum amount of combat or combat support bns of 16 (5-4-4-2-1).
Is that indeed the max?

Looking at a US infantry division late in the war,

3 combat commands, each of 3 infantry bn's
1 artillery brigade (regt) of 4 arty bns
1 engr bn
1 recon bn

that's 15....which fits....
but what about the following:
AT bn (or Tank Destroyer for Mot/Mech/Arm divisions)
AAA Bn (mostly disbanded late in the war because Germany lost control of the airspace above the battlefield....for the most part)
(I'm not going to include "Tank Bn" because I don't think that the game mechanics allow it in an leg infantry division, but some including 1st Infantry division had one)
so...that's 17 (not including the Tank Bn)

Other nationalities had different doctrines/formulas for creating the "best" division, but I'm not conversant on them. I THINK that the Brit's had more bn's in their divisions. I'm pretty sure that the Soviets did.

The question really is I guess, is that display static? or does it evolve into a 5x5 matix (not including the support company column) as "experience" or doctrine or something creates the ability to build bigger divisions? Do currently "locked" cells, when opened, modify the template to show another locked cell below?

Reactions:
Exactly. Assuming I have a light panzer, a medium panzer, a motorized division template, adding a third mot bat to the mot brigades in all 3 templates should be 1 step, not 3 distinct "learning" (or experience) phases. Doesn't make sense IMHO.

Snoopy

Hmmm...maybe...I see your point, but I would argue a couple of things.

1. As stated in the DD, there has to be some "cost" involved to keep division designing from going directly to the optimum configuration.

2. Doctrine (and unit TO&E/OB/whatever you want to call it) is an evolutionary process based on careful observations and evaluation of how things are working (or not), not a leap of faith. Sometimes things can be evaluated and implemented that would apply across all types of units, sometimes not. While I would agree that while putting a mot bat in a Lt Pzr, a Med Pzr, and a Mot Division are definitely similar, they are not EXACTLY the same (because of the different missions, abilities and weaknesses of the various above mentioned divisions), and guessing is frowned upon. Those who guess the most usually get the "2nd Place" trophy in a battle/campaign/war.

Maybe something like a "reduced cost" for similar upgrades done at the same time would be appropriate.

Reactions:
Nice

Reactions:
I have a question. I noticed that in the world war Wed videos that we have various division types to choose from and another option is to build an SS division that appears to be mechanized infantry. During WW II they had several types of SS units and some of the ones that started as mechanized infantry ended as panzer divisions. Is it possible to run multiple templates for SS divisions and to change some to panzer divisions later in this set up?

Does it make a difference how the main battalions are organized... i.e. in a division composed of 4xInf and 4xMech battalions, for instance, does it make a difference if they are 1xInf + 1xMech in 4 separate brigades, as opposed to 2xInf + 2xMech in 2 brigades?

Does it make a difference how the main battalions are organized... i.e. in a division composed of 4xInf and 4xMech battalions, for instance, does it make a difference if they are 1xInf + 1xMech in 4 separate brigades, as opposed to 2xInf + 2xMech in 2 brigades?
Leg Infantry and Mech Infantery can not be in the same brigade. (There are 3 brigade "types": Leg, motorized and Armour)
Else there is no difference, in how the battalions are arranged.

Reactions:
Leg Infantry and Mech Infantery can not be in the same brigade. (There are 3 brigade "types": Leg, motorized and Armour)
Else there is no difference, in how the battalions are arranged.

Thanks, does anyone know if there a list of all the battalion types available somewhere?