Hearts of Iron IV - Dev Diary 13 - Conscription & Training

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks very nice DD and game design.

When a unit takes heavy losses, do the replacements filter in automatically like Hoi3? or do you actually need to move it out of the front and set to "refit / train" to get the reinforcements in quicker?

Based on Podcats post I think that you are wrong - on-map training has higher limit on unit XP

........ Training off-map while in the deployment queue can only bring your troops up to a maximum of Trained, and simulates training in barracks etc. To get higher you will need to do more.

On-map training
You can train units on the map when deployed as well and this basically simulates large-scale exercises and war games. Soldiers trained on the map can reach up to Regular status.

Sorry, you are correct. I thought the end result from what was said in the video last week was the same. the trade-off was between losing some equipment and gaining some Combat Experience.

As this is not the case then you will be forced into on-map training for every Div. This has the potential to be tedious micro, every unit deployed from the queue needs to be assigned to a general and given an order to do training. Then monitored to check they are fully trained, unattached from the training general, and sent to a frontline formation.

I don't mind doing this if UK send a few rooky Divs to Egypt, or JAP does it with some Divs in Vietnam who are preparing for the invasion of Malaysia/Singapore.

But doing it with every Div while you are at war, don't need the Combat Experience as you would be getting plenty from real combat, and don't want to lose precious equipment that should be going to frontline troops, assuming you don't have an ending stock of early war equipment for them to play with.

Just place those troops as a reserve for the front, where you want them to operate and train them - if needed, you can stop training and move to help on the frontline.

If you cant afford (or dont want) to spend weapons and time to provide extra training to your troops, just send them to battle without on-map training.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be too much micromanagement, especially during wartime. You should already have essentially all of your troops under a leader already, right? In peacetime, it's not too bad. Admittedly, more micro (as you'll have to rework your chain of command more often to accommodate new troops) but there's already too little to do at peace.

I don't think it will be too much micromanagement, especially during wartime. You should already have essentially all of your troops under a leader already, right? In peacetime, it's not too bad. Admittedly, more micro (as you'll have to rework your chain of command more often to accommodate new troops) but there's already too little to do at peace.

Aye, I'd think have one general in the rear (probably not a terribly good one) that looks after training, and just add divisions to that general's 'group' when they deploy if you've got resources to train them, or plonk them straight into the action if not. Podcat mentioned that training stops automatically once they've hit max level (actually, training animations could be very handy for this - you'll instantly see which units have stopped training, so can be detached from the training group and strat moved (or similar HoI4 equivalent if this has changed) to the front.

OOB DLC is fine by me, I don't mind if OOB will be DLC feature. I recently bought all of CK2 DLCs because I love that game, and I bought all Magicka DLCs with two of my friends because it's great too.
+1

Yes, the policy determined the proportion of the local MP that was available to recruit to your army. Since this is never anywhere as high as the amount of recruiting you can do in your own country, the opposite should be the case - the occupied territory can put more of it's population into industrial production. This might offset the effects of increasing the conscription laws in authoritarian countries.

Earlier games had an MP value against certain provinces. This included colonial regions, so India provided MP and this was treated same as MP in Britain. But I suspect the MP values were reduced in India for balance to prevent UK raising a huge army, on the basis that they wouldn't have been able to recruit at the level as in Britain.

I hope we will see India better modelled with it's true population size, but that UK was an occupying power and couldn't use all of the population. This would make India more realistic if released, or rebelled and declared independence. But also not necessarily follow that the MP available from India would increase if UK laws are increased.

I never liked to see India as just another part of UK the same as Scotland. Nor did I think that Manchukuo should be a fully playable country. Both could be better modelled using occupation policies. Perhaps extend these to have some policies available to colonial powers:
- Protectorate
- Semi-autonomous Colony
- Direct Ruled Colony

With varying degrees of the colonial power having access to recruit people, use consumer and military industry, and have rebellion chances.
+1

Last edited:
Nice it answers some of my questions, highlighted in red those that still need to get answered.

Question to the devs about production, experience and equipment.

It is said at PDXcon that :
- You can train divisions during production to the level you wish if you have the equipment available.
- You can train divisions on the map with some attrition to equipment.
- You can (and should) [re]use older equipment to train and new stuff on the front.

So my questions are:
- Is there equipment attrition for training while division is building? (I think it should.)
- What's the difference in speed/efficiency between training on-map and in-production?
- Will on-map divisions receive a cap on their experience build-up in training if missing equipment?
EDIT: Will on-map training have a chance of giving some combat experience (EXP) too?
- Can you have cadre units to speed-up training (or will a highly trained but depleted unit receiving reinforcement train them faster)?
- Will some countries (democracies)) receive penalties when sending troop to combats/oversee without adequate level of training?
- Is there any experience penalty to simulate the delta of training and familiarity when you switch a division's equipment?
- What control mechanic is in place to ensure high-tech stuff goes to front-line and old-stuff goes to training units? Is it automated or manual? How does it deal with overseas divisions (does it require convoy/supply)?
- How do you deploy divisions? Wouldn't it make sense to deploy building divisions at the start of its construction and unlock its movement when completed?
- Where can you deploy/build divisions? (in continental occupied countries, in all occupied countries, only in capital or home province?)

Thank, stream was a little short, DD little late but still good to see the game is improving and moving forward.

Bonus question :
How will AIR and NAVAL training be handled since there's no air divisions and a ship is like going from 0% to 100% equipment unless you have school ships? You said war only ATM but considering most ship spent the war in port and pilot training time varied vastly per countries, I feel some sort of training abstraction is required.
Will the flower in the gun icon will have different flower for different countries? Will you release a nationnal flower DLC?

- No, you cant build horses.

How dare you, I'll be back in 20years with my biogenetic degree to prove you wrong!!!!

Thank for the DD, always appreciated and heavilly critiziced even if little late.

Last edited:
- Is there any experience penalty to simulate the delta of training and familiarity when you switch a division's equipment?.

This one has been answered as well.

There is no loss of experience when unit gets new equipment.

Q: 1) Does your officer/general gets experience too?

A: 1. no, imo we assume commands already know the basics and some exercises wont really help one way or the other

Im not agree with that.

I think leaders should gain some exp, because that hapens in real life too! :)
During peace time manoeuvres leaders can try how the stuff works - how to build up defence, where to put reserves, how fast can they react, how the terrain affects communication, how to RIP (replace) units, how the units can be advance side by side ... etc.

I have seen this on Bn/BDE level and im sure this works also on higher level.

Im not agree with that.

I think leaders should gain some exp, because that hapens in real life too! :)
During peace time manoeuvres leaders can try how the stuff works - how to build up defence, where to put reserves, how fast can they react, how the terrain affects communication, how to RIP (replace) units, how the units can be advance side by side ... etc.

I have seen this on Bn/BDE level and im sure this works also on higher level.
true but then it should be a limit on that as war manoeuvres don't take place every day.

true but then it should be a limit on that as war manoeuvres don't take place every day.

That would be IMO reasonable and reallistic - after all most field manoeuvres were usefull, but fairly limited and infrequent.

Sikorski commanding 50 divisions? Sorry if I'm being paranoid but it makes it seem like Poland has such a limited number of generals that each one has to be able to command an enormous amount of troops. I don't think Sikorski should be able to command so many; maybe replace him with Rydz-Śmigły since he was a marshall at the time?

Good question!