Hearts of Iron IV - 25th Development Diary - 18th of September 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can't help it but my mindset is always on modding so I will ask a modding related question(hopefully it will be answered, they usually aren't).
Will it be possible to increase the number of advisor slots for example from say 3 to 4(through modding or other means)?

You can do pretty much what you want :)

Code:
idea_categories = {
   country = {
     national_spirit = yes

cost = 0
     removal_cost = -1
   }

government = {
     slot = mobilization_laws
     slot = trade_laws
     slot = economy
     slot = political_advisor
     slot = political_advisor
     slot = political_advisor

cost = 150       
     removal_cost = 0
   }

research_production = {
     slot = tank_manufacturer
     slot = naval_manufacturer
     slot = aircraft_manufacturer
     slot = materiel_manufacturer
     slot = industrial_concern
     slot = theorist

cost = 150
     removal_cost = 0

}

military_staff = {
     slot = army_chief
     slot = navy_chief
     slot = air_chief
     slot = high_command
     slot = high_command
     slot = high_command

cost = 150
     removal_cost = 0
   }
}

Reactions:
Reactions:
Will you ever be in a situation where you have too much political power? Won't you always want to have more, so you can blast through National goals?

Before development in EUIV you actually could have too much Monarch Points, but that was pretty rare. Sounds like this political power will be like Magistrates in EU3, where you could never have enough and made charts over government forms so you could maximize generation :)

Will you ever be in a situation where you have too much political power? Won't you always want to have more, so you can blast through National goals?

Before development in EUIV you actually could have too much Monarch Points, but that was pretty rare. Sounds like this political power will be like Magistrates in EU3, where you could never have enough and made charts over government forms so you could maximize generation :)

not really.. never been there yet.

Reactions:
no, thats 0 unused :) i don't play inefficiently
Haha!
Johan, just wondering, where did you guys get the inspiration for the point mechanics? (Political power here, Diplo/Admin/Military power and so on)
I think it is a great system and would like to know what made Paradox go this route, seeing as many of the earlier games use rather different mechanics.

Code:
idea_categories = {
   country = {
     national_spirit = yes

cost = 0
     removal_cost = -1
   }

government = {
     slot = mobilization_laws
     slot = trade_laws
     slot = economy
     slot = political_advisor
     slot = political_advisor
     slot = political_advisor

cost = 150      
     removal_cost = 0
   }

research_production = {
     slot = tank_manufacturer
     slot = theorist

cost = 150
     removal_cost = 0

}

military_staff = {
     slot = army_chief
     slot = navy_chief
     slot = air_chief
     slot = high_command
     slot = high_command
     slot = high_command

cost = 150
     removal_cost = 0
   }
}
This is so great. I will surely play around with it. :)

Haha!
Johan, just wondering, where did you guys get the inspiration for the point mechanics? (Political power here, Diplo/Admin/Military power and so on)
I think it is a great system and would like to know what made Paradox go this route, seeing as many of the earlier games use rather different mechanics.

I wanted a mechanic that does not go down the route of growing just because you expand in size.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genghis_Khan_(video_game) is a game I loved as a teenager, and in that game you had limited amount of actions you could do.. I'd guess thats part of the inspiration.

Reactions:
not really.. never been there yet.
How badly do you want more Political Power, is it like craving admin points when you're at -3 stability and 110% OE? I guess you always wan't more in the beginning of the game than late game, is it even "useless" late game? I guess what I'm asking is, does the world revolve around Political Power? Can you even succeed if you ignore it? ( getting rid of that VictorsWW1 penalty seems pretty good )

By the way, is there any synergy between the 18 slots? Do I have to take the different choices into consideration or are all "isolated" from one another and it's just a matter of putting on "add ons" of what I deem best in each category?

Last edited:
I find myself just looking at the screenshots, thinking just how gorgeous the interface, the map and the little hand drawn portraits are. It's such a wonderful looking game. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Reactions:

Code:
idea_categories = {
   country = {
     national_spirit = yes

cost = 0
     removal_cost = -1
   }

government = {
     slot = mobilization_laws
     slot = trade_laws
     slot = economy
     slot = political_advisor
     slot = political_advisor
     slot = political_advisor

cost = 150      
     removal_cost = 0
   }

research_production = {
     slot = tank_manufacturer
     slot = theorist

cost = 150
     removal_cost = 0

}

military_staff = {
     slot = army_chief
     slot = navy_chief
     slot = air_chief
     slot = high_command
     slot = high_command
     slot = high_command

cost = 150
     removal_cost = 0
   }
}

Wow we can modify almost everything. We can add slot everywhere, really happy !

Reactions:
Political power system sounds really good. Seems like we will have a whole lot of strategic choices but only some of them can be followed to leverage full benefit. Should make for great replayablility.

The icon represents how a nation, in the case of war, is toast.
Huhu, hope you don't also plan a waste disposal unit icon

Code:
government = { slot = mobilization_laws slot = trade_laws slot = economy slot = political_advisor slot = political_advisor slot = political_advisor cost = 150 removal_cost = 0 }
More seriously, so it's a civilian/consumers goods oriented economy icon. What about the empty shipping box? Does empty mean it's a protectionist policy? Or does the shipping box mean it's an open border policy?

Huhu, hope you don't also plan a waste disposal unit icon

More seriously, so it's a civilian/consumers goods oriented economy icon. What about the empty shipping box? Does empty mean it's a protectionist policy? Or does the shipping box mean it's an open border policy?
All that info is in the 12 DD. It is not completely obsolete and only the interface have been restructured and the national goals have been replaced by national focus tree. So just look it up, it's all there...

Reactions: