• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are many ways to be successful with Japan. Since many people have mentioned invading China and fighting the US, I'm going to mention some other methods.

1. Southbound: Invade Guangxi Clique, then Thailand, then Dutch East Indies if USA hasn't joined allies yet OR China. You can add China as a member of your faction, but I prefer to conquer.
2. Moscow-bound: Contain China threat, send armies across Asia all the way to Moscow... limitations: technology: if you're not playing with Road to 56, all the techs plateau and then its a numbers game... and it will get disappointing.

I was interested in sharing my International Unit Names Database to the wiki on the recommendation of some other forum members. Under what section of the Wiki would it apply?

I also may need some help formatting, as I am not terribly experienced with wikis.

I was interested in sharing my International Unit Names Database to the wiki on the recommendation of some other forum members. Under what section of the Wiki would it apply?
To be honest, I'm not too thrilled about it.
Similar stuff is already scattered around in some of the articles. I'd like to avoid content which may raise moderating issues** [unknown languages].

Why not use a link to the thread from the wiki instead?

**you'd be surprised at how many idiots there are who perceive inserting nonsense into wiki pages as "fun".

I can't keep more than basic formats in mind either. If you look earlier in the thread there are links to good info pages. My perception is that proper formatting counts here at least as much as the content, or else things go haywire.

Have not found how to have Word or forum text (for example) translated to Wiki. So any fresh resources are welcome as links.

Reading up on the Wiki (will be buying HoI4 in the near future) I find the page on the Generic Focus tree a bit confusing in regards to gaining the free factories under Industrial effort:

Logic:
a random, owned and controlled state with a building slot available
One of the following must be true:[2]

·randomed state ‘ is_in_home_area = yes
·does not own a state with any building slots (inclusive of locked slots) that ‘ is_in_home_area = yes
THEN

Random(?):

The following will bypass the focus:
  • no available building slots in any owned states, inclusive of locked slots
Say for an example I'm Cuba. I have a starting base of four factory slots on my tight little island - with the proper tech I could have as many as eight but I haven't researched them yet. I have all four slots filled at the start, so I am assuming no free factories for me. (Should small nations such as Cuba avoid the Industry branch for a while or will the "bypassed" focuses reactivate when an open slot is gained?)

Then I research the first two Concentrated/Dispersed Industry techs and open up a slot, then take a focus that gets me a free factory. Does this factory:

A: Take up the slot I just opened, leaving me with five factories until I research and open up another slot? (Ayiyi!)

B: Open up a slot that would have been unlocked by a later Industry tech, limiting me to eight total? (Que pasa?)

C: Expand my starting base from four to five slots (incidentally adding another empty slot since Industry Tech II gives a 40% expansion bonus)? Which would mean continuing down this focus path could give Cuba as many as 13 base slots (25 max)? (VIVA!)

Last edited:
Those mostly create their own new slots and then plunk factories down in them Will add a note.

Those mostly create their own new slots and then plunk factories down in them Will add a note.
Thank you! :)

I bought the game last night and am playing Iran (my favorite country from Doomsday) and I think I've figured it out:

Every state has 25 building slots, with a certain base number being unlocked, from zero (wasteland) to twelve (megalopolis). Each focus on the Generic tree giving you a free factory, free infrastructure or free whatever designates a certain state or province ahead of time and opens up a locked slot, as the free stuff does in country specific Focus Trees. I believe the focus will only bypass (and you don't get your free instant build stuff) if you have all 25 factory slots occupied (an impossibility unless you've fiddled with the codes) or all possible infrastructure/airbase etc. built up in the state or province designated by the focus.

Also the slots opened up by Focus Tree factories DO NOT appear to affect the number of base slots in a State where tech enabled expansion is concerned. I'm pretty sure about this as when I researched Concentrated Industry II Tehran, with four base slots, gained a fifth, where Sars, with two base and two bonus slots, did not.

Of course that is not very succinct when you are trying to fit your message into a spreadsheet block, but a little less confusing - Though it's an easier fix to change the description on the Infrastructure I and II focuses as THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU FACTORIES AS THE WIKI DESCRIBES, only additional infrastructure in two states each.

Last edited:
  • Is there an easy way to tally up the resources and update the wiki?
@Meneth,

Thanks for this thread. With the release of Oak, there has been an increase in the amount of resources (e.g. rubber in Africa, aluminum in Asia).

Is there any easy way to tally up the resources and update the country and state tables in the HoI4 Wiki?

I'm envisioning that Paradox has an app that they "simply" push a button, and there's a print out of all the countries with their resources

...and factories and dockyards and slots and population and number of cats.

upload_2017-9-17_21-24-32.png

• Is there an easy way to tally up the resources and update the wiki?
@billcorr A few of the tech savvy members of the community have made scripts to extract this information from the game files, at which point their script makes a wiki page. I'm not sure if we've got that set up for HOI4 yet.

Added a page for Vanilla+ and linked it in the Mods page on the Wiki. Hope that's okay
@Sleight of Hand . Mod pages are welcome on the wikis. Some mods such as ST New Horizons on Stellaris have even built up detailed guides for their new additions.

The Paradox wikis are running a multi-wiki contest as after the release of both Cradle of Civilisation and Jade Dragon. This contest is available across CK2, EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris wikis.

Prizes include discount vouchers up to 90% off in the Paradox store and the option to win copies of Crusader Kings II, Hearts of Iron 3 Collection, Victoria 2 Complete and Age of Wonders 3.

Last edited:
The Paradox wikis are running a multi-wiki contest as after the release of both Cradle of Civilisation and Jade Dragon. This contest is available across CK2, EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris wikis.

Prizes include discount vouchers up to 90% off in the Paradox store and the option to win copies of Crusader Kings II, Hearts of Iron 3 Collection, Victoria 2 Complete and Age of Wonders 3.
What if, say, you already have all those games from a previous contest? :p