• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Praise the dev team of ck2 the game that will never end. We love and respect you all. May 2019 be a greater year for ck2 than the last.

Posting IRL pictures of your staff over using CK2s character generator? Come on, guys. Lost opportunity!

Important distinction: CK1 had, so far as I can tell from some internet searching, no DLC.
This actually isn't correct. I am sure @Doomdark will correct any details, but as I recall CK1 was initially released in a relatively poor state due to a somewhat troubled development history. Despite that it became quite successful by Paradox's standards of that day (of course it was a lot more niche than today). Then sometime later they did release a piece of DLC for it called Deus Vult, which fixed a lot of the issues with the game. I believe that came out in 2007. I might be wrong but I think this was the second piece of DLC Paradox ever released (after Victoria Revolutions).

Then sometime later they did release a piece of DLC for it called Deus Vult, which fixed a lot of the issues with the game. I believe that came out in 2007.

You seem to be right, I can find that now that I have a name to punch in. That's still 5 fallow years between the two, though, so I'm still skeptical that they'd be working on a sequel right now if they're also working on the expansion to the current iteration.

You seem to be right, I can find that now that I have a name to punch in. That's still 5 fallow years between the two, though, so I'm still skeptical that they'd be working on a sequel right now if they're also working on the expansion to the current iteration.
Who knows what a group of crazy Vikings would do :)

This actually isn't correct. I am sure @Doomdark will correct any details, but as I recall CK1 was initially released in a relatively poor state due to a somewhat troubled development history. Despite that it became quite successful by Paradox's standards of that day (of course it was a lot more niche than today). Then sometime later they did release a piece of DLC for it called Deus Vult, which fixed a lot of the issues with the game. I believe that came out in 2007. I might be wrong but I think this was the second piece of DLC Paradox ever released (after Victoria Revolutions).
Yup. CK1 was the first game that Paradox had semi-outsourced to another studio (who went on to write a completely different game) and as time dragged on and the vision of what Paradox wanted for CK and what the other studio wanted for CK diverged significantly Paradox pulled the development back in-house. But it was VERY late in the process and was pushed out the door (Paradox was still very, very small back then. I believe this was after Victoria's launch fiasco due to the publisher going bankrupt but possibly before Hearts of Iron's release, don't quote me on it.)

It was playable but it was a hot mess. It took a LOT of patching. Eventually Paradox released an expansion (Deus Vult) for it, but that was a loooooong time down the road. And yet CK still had a solid cult following even though it was a redheaded stepchild.

Edit: Sunflowers released their version as "Knights of Honor"

Last edited:
I just wanted to say thank you all Crusader kings Team. You guys are the ebst who have stayed true to they're game and make it better with every single DLC and update. It is so Grand stradegy game right now. And i love palying it Sandboxing or straith hardcore. But either way love the most the sandboxing what other paradox games don't deliver no more what im really sad about. But u have stayed true to our beloved and my favorite stradegy game. What i have spend most hours ever. Still remember the first time i played it. And can't believe it'' been so long and still getting better. Thank you. Hope to see as great 2019 as was 2018 or even better. Thank you. :)

I'm looking forward to see great things from your team.

I don’t see much need for sea battles tough.
I don't know, it's kinda ankward when your troops sail around Iberia to the Holy Land and meet up with the enemies. Just imagine it you sail side by side, each party giving the other a contemptuous look, but nothing happens.

Yup. CK1 was the first game that Paradox had semi-outsourced to another studio (who went on to write a completely different game) and as time dragged on and the vision of what Paradox wanted for CK and what the other studio wanted for CK diverged significantly Paradox pulled the development back in-house. But it was VERY late in the process and was pushed out the door (Paradox was still very, very small back then. I believe this was after Victoria's launch fiasco due to the publisher going bankrupt but possibly before Hearts of Iron's release, don't quote me on it.)

It was playable but it was a hot mess. It took a LOT of patching. Eventually Paradox released an expansion (Deus Vult) for it, but that was a loooooong time down the road. And yet CK still had a solid cult following even though it was a redheaded stepchild.

Edit: Sunflowers released their version as "Knights of Honor"
I know I certainly played a ton of the original CK. Imperfect as it was, it was still a really fun game.

You wanna' clarify for the rest of the class what supposed difference you see between "shut down" and "stop producing content for"?

And I highly doubt there will be only a year between CK2's last DLC and CK3. You can't honestly think they'll put out an entire game from start to finish in the same time that they can release a single DLC, no matter how large that DLC? Or do you for some reason think that they are producing both CK2 and CK3 at the same time?
I have no idea what shutting it down would even mean, it wasn't m phrasing it was yours.
But if you by it meant saying "this is the last DLC" then the difference is this:
Deciding not to make any more DLC is an active decision, not making any more DLC is a defacto state. Essentially, there's absolutely no reason to do the former, ever, what would you gain by saying "this is the last DLC" to the fans as opposed to saying internally "We haven't got a DLC in the pipeline at the moment, and we might not have until after ck3". Why make an absolute decision on this if you don't have to?

Also they are sucha big studio now that I very much doubt they will let their most sucessfull franchise lay in the ground for more than two years.
I would be surprised if no one at Paradox is working on CK3 right now. There were 8 years between CK1 and CK2. After so many years of CK2 the limits of the base game have clearly been pushed and it is to be expected that by now there would be a big market for a potential CK3.

Besides, the early work of a new game is very different than making DLC. Especially making the engine and first version download of the game can easily be done alongside work on CK2 DLC.
Depends on what you mean with working on. My guess is they had a list of we want to do this in ck3 before ck2 was even released. They almost certainly have people working on the preproduction at this point. Perhaps that's why we don't see so muhc of doomdark these days, he's laying down guidelines for what his vision for ck3 is, seeing how Ck2 is very much his baby.

i think they can pump out atleast 2 more years of DLC then go dark for 2-3 more years before making CK3. id hope for a vic 3 first.
and yeh Orcs is something that can be modded and already has been. what we want is core changing machanics like sea battle and quailty of life updates that modders cant do
At the current rate 2 years of DLC means 1-3 DLCs, and I very much doubt that they will go three years before releasing ck3. Like I said above, ck2 was huge for them, they'll want the franchise to be earning them money.

Last edited:
I love all of the Paradox games in my library.

<<joke>>Do you guys take kids in exchange for DLC?<</joke>>
(Note for the humor impaired: I am not seriously advocating in any way, shape, or form of selling my kids in exchange for DLC. The younger two are showing some interest in CK2, though. Start them young as potential developers? ;) )

(Note for the humor impaired: I am not seriously advocating in any way, shape, or form of selling my kids in exchange for DLC. <...> )
You say that now, but when the magnum opus of DLC comes, you'll join that Demon Worshiper cult for access :p

I love all of the Paradox games in my library.

(Note for the humor impaired: I am not seriously advocating in any way, shape, or form of selling my kids in exchange for DLC. The younger two are showing some interest in CK2, though. Start them young as potential developers? ;) )

What about DLC about kids? The only thing they have to do right now is worry about their education and wondering why so many strange things keep happening around their increasingly frazzled regent.

But then, I guess a DLC like that would only be interesting to people who run Ultimogeniture. Or insist on having their characters lead every battle.