• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sterkarm

The Honorable Judge Mental
51 Badges
Feb 13, 2004
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
The Tribes of Lithuania​

Ruled by Grand Duke Jogaila Gediminaicis, Grand Duke of Lithuania, Eternal Servant of Dievas, Duke of Kiev and Volhynia, Count of Wilno, Minsk, and Pinsk​

Realm: Lithuania
Head of State: Grand Duke Jogaila Gediminaicis
Religion: Pagan
Culture: Baltic, Ruthenian
Stats: 4/0/7/10/4 --> [4/0/7/10/4]
Provinces: 12
Ports: 0
Owned: Vilna(3), Brest Litovsk(2), Grodno(2), Kiev(3), Minsk(2), Novgorod Sieversk(3), Pinsk(2), Polotsk(2), Samogitia(2), Smolensk(2), Tchernigov(2), Volhynia(1).​

The Lands of Grand Duke Jogaila​

Wilno-Home to Grand Duke Jogaila and most of his family, essentially the capital of Lithuania

Minsk-This heartland province of Lithuania is always a great contributor to the Grand Duke's personal forces, enabling him to defeat any foe.

Pinsk-Just slightly west of Minsk, this slightly less-prosperous land is also a center of Lithuanian culture and tradition

Volhynia-On the eastern border of Poland, this province contains the Pripet Marshes and helps to protect against the zealous Catholics from the west.

Kiev-A bastion in the south against the Mongols from the east and the Poles from the west, this mighty city now protects the very edge of the Lithuanian nation.

Last edited:
Important Members of the Court and Nation​

Grand Marshal of the Armies of Lithuania-Mykolas Vagnorius
Great Chancellor-Svitrigaila Gediminaicis (brother)
Steward of the Lands of Grand Duke Jogaila-Zygimantas Gediminaicis (cousin)
High Priest-Vydaugas Usackas
Master of Intrigue-Gediminas Kubilius

Andrius Vagnorius-Duke of Polotsk and Samogitia
Valdemar Mazuronis-Duke of Pronsk and Count of Novgorod Sieversk
Valdas Adamkus-Duke of Smolensk
Valentinas Kubilius-Duke of Turov
Kestutis Kubilius-Count of Brest-Litovsk
Arturas Zuokas-Count of Grodno

The Grand Duke's Family

Svitrigaila-brother
Demetrius I Starszy-brother
Korygiello-brother
Wigunt-brother

Agrypina-sister
Helena-sister
Wilheida-sister
Nowolsieska-sister

Zygimantas-cousin
Vytautas-cousin (exile)

Last edited:
Wars, Alliances, and Treaties of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania​

Last edited:
Armies of Grand Duke Jogaila and His Vassals​

Currently Mobilized

-The Brest Litovsk Regiment under Kestutis Kubilius, combing the countryside in search of Vytautas Gediminaicis, rebellious usurper of the Lithuanian Duchy

Last edited:
Reserved

Reserved-COURT OPEN

Last edited:
Khirghiz-yurt-inter+.jpg

The Mongol horsemen rode up to a ford on the Dneiper near the city of Kiev. There, on the bank, they raised a magnificent yurt, resplendent in many colors, and surrounded by golden flags. From the peak of the yurt a white flag flew. A great bonfire was built, marring the sky with smoke during the day, and well visible from the steeples of Kiev at night. Each day the horsemen would circle the yurt and fire on their thundering steeds, and each night the rough songs of the steppe would sound.

From atop the parapet of Kiev, Grand Marshal Mykolas Vargonius watched the Tatars in the dark. The mighty fires burned magnificently and drew him in. Yet he couldn't help but wonder what the purpose of all this was. "Could it be to mock us? Maybe to draw a diplomat in and turn him into a hostage? Or perhaps--and this is most certainly the least likely--the Tatars are actually looking for meaningful negotiations with us." Mykolas stopped and pondered this for a few minutes. "Well, they want something damnit and I'm going to find out what it is."

As the sun rose over the Tatar camp, a company of riders galloped out from the gates of Kiev. At its head rode Vidas Gedvilius, Marshal of the Armies of Kiev under Grand Duke Jogaila. He surged so far ahead of the rest one might think he was insane, heading towards a Tatar camp at full speed and greatly outnumbered. Still, he knew something the Tatars did not. About half the regiment of Kiev had crossed the Donetsk into the absolute southern region of Chernigov during the night and met up with a regiment from southern Chernigov. They now waited about 2 miles out of the camp. Should the Tatars spring a surprise attack, the Kievans would come roaring down upon their rear at the sound of Vidas's horn. It would still be a pitched battle, but the result would favor the Liths much more with a flanking maneuver up their sleeve.

Vidas and his party were now thundering up to the ford, and they crossed warily, but they could not sneak up on the Tatars. Coming before the sentries, Vidas spoke in a rather condescending tone, "Tell me, what are the Tatar hordes doing here? Are they mocking us with their camp so close to our borders? Where's the chief here?"

Last edited:
The Mongols looked at Vidas with comprehension. They talked among themselves for a moment, then one led him to the yurt, and opened the flap.

Inside, the yurt was warm, smelling of wood smoke and fur. Several Tartars lounged inside, leaping to their feet as the Marshal entered. One of them, a large man wearing the fur of a white wolf, stepped forward. He started to speak to the Marshal in Mongolian.

A young woman, dark of hair, whose face reflected the Baltic more than the Black or Caspian, took a position a pace behind the man in the white fur. When the man had finished talking, she began to translate. Her Lithuanian was clear and unaccented.

"The Tumen Chagan greets you to his home for the winter, honorable one. He asks as to your name and position, and offers you hospitality of food, milk and warmth."

"I am Vidas Gedvilius," came the sharp reply, "Chancellor of Kiev and Servant of Grand Duke Jogaila of Lithuania. I will gladly accept your hospitality," his voice softened now into a more diplomatic tone. It was quick thinking on his part not to mention, given the fact that it seemed this may be a diplomatic attempt by the Tatars, that he was in fact not a chancellor, but a marshal. "However, I am curious as to why you set this camp up here, so close to our borders. I realize it is in your territory, but it is still puzzling what the purpose is."

The girl translated the Marshal's words to the Tartar, and then started translating the response.

"The Tumen Chagan says that there is fine provinder for the horses, and fresh water, and that this is a good winter camp. He says that perhaps some of his men can trade with Kiev, for they have furs and spices with them."

The girl locked eyes with the Marshal. "The Tumen Chagan does not speak our language, and thinks I'm still repeating his words. He is here to scout the walls of Kiev, to see the defenders. I think he is here to goad you into attacking."

mosc5rk.png

Four horsemen rode swiftly into Wilno. One of the men was small, with boyish features, but the other three were large, hulking and bearded - clearly veterans of war if anything. Arriving at Grand Duke Jogaila's home, they dismounted, and approached the entrance. One of the larger men, with a salt-and-pepper beard, approached the guards.

"An emissary from Moscow is here to see the duke," he said, his words plagued with Russian accent.

"Let them in, let them in," uttered Zygimantas Gediminaicis as he motioned towards the door. As the four men entered, Zygimantas spoke, "I am Zygimantas Gediminaicas, Great Steward of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Grand Duke Jogaila is not here at the moment, but you may speak to me as his proxy. What is it that you want?"

The hulking man who had spoken at the gate glared at Zygimantas for a brief moment before stepping aside. The small, boyish man stepped forward. Zygimantas was several inches taller than him, but nevertheless his voice rang out strong and clear.

"I am Semyon Vladimirovich," he said, "Emissary from Dmitrii III of Muscovy. What we plan to discuss is of a delicate nature...considering our two nations have fought wars recently." His voice dropped a bit. "It concerns Muscovy and Lithuania's relationship, and perhaps other outside threats, in particular our 'golden' hosts to the east."

Semyon hardly expected this steward to be of the power to agree to any sort of diplomatic arrangement, much less an alliance. If Lithuania was adamantly opposed to such an alliance, though, he was certain Zygimantas would have the authority to kick him out. Just as well - Semyon thought such an alliance foolish. He hadn't been able to dissuade Dmitrii, though.

"We really must see the Grand Duke himself. If he is not here, then we will stay until he returns, unless you have objections?"

"Very interesting indeed. However, the Grand Duke will be gone for a very long time. You would be waiting for months for his return and I am in a position to arrange treaties and alliances. Also, the Grand Duke does not have to know about such an alliance. If, for example, you were to help me take over Lithuania while he is away, I would be able to present a strong front against the Tatars, one which Jogaila is unconcerned with right now. Now, which do you want?"

Vidas's mind filled with fearful thoughts and inside he panicked. Yet on the outside he maintained a perfectly calm composure and nodded silently towards the Tatar.

Speaking to the Tatar once more, he said, "Don't translate this, girl, but would you like to return to Kiev? It is quite an insult that the Tatar is keeping a Lithuanian prisoner. Now, translate. I would like to invite some of your traders, warriors, and yourself into the city to introduce new goods into our market here. Also, I would be quite interested in a possible trade pact between our two peoples. Oh, one more thing, might the girl be able to return to the city with me?"

"You so readily ask for aid in couping your own liege?"

Who could expect such bare loyalty? Semyon had known that Jogaila had a cousin with ambition, but the very man Jogaila leaving in charge of his home plotting? Clearly Lithuania was a despicable, dishonourable place. No alliance with them could bring about good. However, unlike these Lithuanians, Semyon was loyal to his duke, and Dimitrii had wanted an alliance. However, to a man like Dmitrii, a civil war might be as good as an alliance in Lithuania. Semyon knew that Dmitrii would see a Lithuanian civil war as a great oppurtunity. However, choosing sides in such a matter is no hasty business.

"However, I'm not in position to accept such a proposal. Getting involved in a civil war is dangerous business. And certainly not now. Perhaps after you field an army and seize your liege's mantle.

"That said, if the Grand Duke of Lithuania is not here, we cannot arrange any trade pact, non-agression pact, or any other agreement that could make the Tartars very nervous. We would appreciate it if you should contact us should the Grand Duke return, or," he added with a wink, "should another Grand Duke be appointed."

"We shall spend the night in this wonderful city, and the head back to Moscow," he said, turning to his entourage.

As the Russian walked away, Zygimantas thought on how he could claim his throne. First he needed support from Augustas Vagnorius, Keeper of the Castle Chambers and essentially Captain of the Wilno Royal Guard. Then he would need to gain support from the lords in the east by converting to Russian Orthodox. Once he had gathered their forces he could march west into the Lithuanian heartland and topple Jogaila...

------------------------That night in the Wilno keep-----------------------------​

Under the cover of darkness, Augustas rounded up the Vagnorius troops in Wilno. Torches were lit, swords were unsheathed, and the men marched towards the guest quarters. Through the dark labryinth of the keep they marched, winding upwards towards the quarters. Suddenly, a dull thud and then an immense crack smashed down the door of the Russians' room. The dozens of soldiers stormed into the room immediately, drawing their swords in a great clamour. Instantly all four of the Muscovites were captured in their sleep and dragged rather noisily and roughly to the prison chambers. Awaiting them in a corner sat Zygimantas, humbled and bedraggled. His plan had failed for he had underestimated the loyalty of the Vagnorious house.

"Well, my dear Russian friends," came a voice from outside the cells, that of Augustas, "I shall not allow you to destroy all that Jogaila, his father, and his grandfather have worked to create. Soon Jogaila will be recalled, but until then I believe I will be ruling in Wilno. I will see to it that Lithuania's forces are mobilized and that you, oh Muscovian diplomat, rot here until your Duke either explains your actions thoroughly or joins you in this prison."

Semyon angrily shouted back, "If you are wise, sir, you will free myself and my men and let us on our way! If this bastard here has somehow suggested that Muscovy planned to invade Lithuania, or support his coup, he is a liar! Kill this dog for his crimes, but do not harbor a peaceful, innocent emissary in prison! Surely, you would not risk war on the word of a now-condemned man?"

If Zygimantas wanted to be friends with the Muscovites, he has certainly failed. If he had seen that he would have to name Moscow as an ally while garnering support, he should have backed down. Be he killed by a Russian or Lithuanian executioneer, it did not matter, but he certainly deserved it. Semyon could only hope that either the Captain of Wilno would come to his senses, or Dmitrii would do something. Though Dmitrii had sent him to make an alliance with the current Duke, not a pretender.

He turned to Zygimantas and spat. "When you asked us to aid your uprising, we clearly told you to come back after you had garnered support. You are a stupid, worthless dog, Zygimantas Gediminaicis."

"Oh, I knew full well what I was doing, Russian," said Zygimantas as he stood up to face Semyon. "Now," he said as he turned to Augustas, "would you let me out?" Augustas, with a wide smile on his face, took out the keys to the cell and unlocked the door. Zygimantas walked out all the while smiling slyly. As Augustas locked the door again and turned around, Zygimantas hit him with the flat side of his sword on his head. Augustas fell to the ground, incredibly dazed from the blow. Zygimantas called down more guards to help him put Augustas in one of the cells, but he made sure it was seperate from that holding the Russians. "How dare you betray my cousin Jogaila!" Zygimantas exclaimed, making sure the guards heard. "After that speech you try to frame me and let the Russians go! Rot in here with your co-conspirators, scum!"