• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Archbishop's Proposal

byzantion7ic.gif

Archbishop Demetrios of Thessalonica stood shocked as the declaration of war from the Prince of Moscow was read aloud in court. Breaking protocol, the Archbishop stood as soon as the letter was read, and addressed the messenger.

"Messenger of the Prince of Moscow," the Archbishop said, "Has the Prince gone mad? Has he no love of Christ? The Lithuanian Duke, though a pagan, is no enemy of the Church nor of the Rus. Has he not treated those subjects under his rule with respect? Does not the Church, within the Rus principalities under his rule, with decency and tolerance?"

Turning to address the Grand Duke of Lithuania, the Archbishop said,
"Let it be known, your Grace, that I shall do my utmost to secure peace between you and the Prince of Moscow. The Prince, who surely burns with anguish after his defeat but a few short months ago, thirsts for prestige, a desire to show that he is still powerful. And indeed, he is." Stroking his long beard, he continued. "The perfidy of the German knights is well known, even in the Roman Empire.. do not forget, that they once ruled great estates in Transylvania, and did launch many attacks on Roman subjects. However.. their impetus to attack will be much lessened, should your Grace convert to Christianity."

Taking a moment to smooth his vestments, and momentarily touching the ornate cross about his neck, he spoke some more. "It is said, your Grace, that you are, like King Agrippa, 'almost persuaded' to become a Christian. I applaud your Grace for seeing the light, and for studying the Bible, for truely, that is the mark of a virtuous pagan. However," the Archbishop looks around the court, trying to determine if there are any Romanist clergy in the room, "I must tell you the reasons why a conversion to, what you would call, 'Russian Christianity' is superior. First, the Bishopric of Rome is contested between two men, one Italian and one French. What fools these men are! What un-Christian examples these two set! The most bitter fighting, with rape, massacre, piracy, and other crimes too dreadful to mention, over a pastoral position? Your Grace, should you convert to Romanist Christianity, I fear that you would become a mere pawn in the game these two men play, your sweet acceptance of Christ blemished by worldly politics. Secondly, the Bishop of Rome, whoever he may be, demands that the church in each rulers land be subject and controlled by him. Time and again, the Kings of France, Germany, and England, quarrel with, imprison, and sometimes even murder the Bishop of Rome. This, your Grace, is unheard of among the eastern churches. For example, no Archbishop of Kiev has ever been imprisoned nor murdered by the Prince of Kiev."

Looking directly at the Grand Duke, and bowing, the Archbishop finished his preliminary arguments with, "The reasons go on and on, your Grace, and I have barely even begun to number them. However, I do recognize that you are a secular ruler, and although heavenly affairs are greater than any, you must safeguard your inheritance. Therefore, as personal representative of the Emperor, I am authorized to offer you this: Upon your conversion, I shall travel to Moscow, and persuade the Prince of Moscow to end his war against you, and focus on stemming the Muslim tide. Additionally, I will begun purchasing, with the Empire's money, numbers of mercenaries from Hungary, Tartary, and Russia, to fight the Germans on your behalf. Several battle-hardened soldiers, handpicked and experienced, shall also be sent from the Emperor's personal guard. And this, your Grace, is but a small token of the many blessings that your conversion will bring forth, not least the salvation of your immortal soul and the souls of all Liths."

Chagan did not let his joy spread from within to his face. The dogs of Moscovy had been loosed by their master in Sarai, throwing the Liths into utter fear and confusion as they faced both Germans in the west and the Muscovites in the east. Their armies numbered, by Chagan's best guess, only 40,000, while the Muscovites would soon have mercenaries at their command and the Germans would find knights from across Europe to serve in their war. So far, the Liths had not responded to the Khan's offer of vassalage, an offer that could have saved them from both of their current enemies, but the Khan believed in what Christians called Grace and if God be so, why not he? Lithuania would have one more chance to submit and save themselves. Chagan left Kiev and rode unto the court of the Grand Duke, where he saw nothing but warriors in full suits of mail running about and the Archbishop sent by the Romans to meddle in affairs not concerning them. Chagan brushed past these and went before the Grand Duke direct to deliever the message of the Khan. He stood erectly before him and began with a loud, sharp voice in the Lith tounge.

Grand Duke Jogaila Gediminaicis, Grand Duke of Lithuania, Eternal Servant of Dievas, Duke of Kiev and Volhynia, Count of Wilno, Minsk, and Pinsk! I am Chagan, Tumenbashy of the Western Marches of the Horde and obidient servant of the Great Khan, Toqtamish. I have wasted much time in speaking to your lacky, Vidas, at Kiev, but he is useless. When the Germans first declared war I told him that the Khan's desire was to protect the Lith against the crusades like a mother bear protects her cubs. He told me that your Grace would then be interested in an alliance, but such is not the will of the Khan. The Great Khan does not spill the blood of his warriors for ALLIES! No! So I told him that , "Let it be known to you that you can only hold power in Rus by but one method; you must submit to the Khan at Sarai and pay tribute unto him. He is no tyrant and I could convince him to appoint me as baskak (governor) unto Lithuania so that the burden of the taxes might not be so heavy. We can offer you more protection if you are our vassal." I said again that the Great Khan's wish is to protect Lithuania from the Germans and from the dogs of Muscovy. Vidas coldly did not reply unto me and thus events have spiralled out of everyone's control... that is, except for the Great Khan. The door is still open for Lithuania to submit herself to the Great Khan, for he is merciful as God himself. Then the dogs shall be called off and the Germans shall be impaled once more upon the lances of Mongols! *smiles* What is your decision, Grand Duke Jogaila? The fate of your nation is in your hands.

A letter arrived for the Grand Duke.

crest.gif

Onto His Highness Grand Duke Jogaila of Lithuania

It is with growing interest that we have viewed the latest happenings withing the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. It is also with growing concern as it seems like the Grand Duchy is both being pulled in different directions as well as under siege.

On behalf of both the Catholic Church and the Queen of Hungary I would like to find out wether there is any way that this crisis can be solved in a satisfactory manner.

I have heard that Your Highness is considering to convert to the mother church, which is great news. Such a conversion would not only save Your Highness' soul, but would also remove the possibility of crusade against you as well as ensure support from other catholic realms. Support against among others the Golden Horde, an enemy which Lithuania and Hungary shares. Finally such a conversion might even open the doors to a personal union with Poland, something we have heard is also under consideration.

If it is in the interest of Your Highness we would like to offer our services as mediators between Your Highness and the Order. Again I speak on behalf of both the Kingdom of Hungary and the hungarian church. Perhaps other agreements could also be made in such a meeting. If it pleases Your Highness we would like to send an emissary as a first step to accomplish this.

By his own hand in Esztergom,
Demetrius, Cardinal-Archbishop of Esztergom

Jogaila, having returned from Poland to conduct this war, saw the Chagan moving across the floor of the throne room. He motioned to guards, then realized it was but an emissary and bid the guards hold off. Jogaila kept a straight face all through the Chagan's speech, but then delivered his message.

"Either retract this insult immediately or leave my court. The people of Lithuania shall never submit. I do not wish war with your people, but I will make it if you force my hand. I offer the olive branch and an alliance, but if you bat both aside then we have nothing to discuss."

The face of the Tumenbashy turned quite dark and he spit on the groud very close to the foot of one of the guards. He looked about at the angered faced of the pagans and the worried face of the old Archbishop. The Mongol knew of what the Liths had done to the Muscovite dog who had been an envoy to the court and wished to not suffer his fate.

Well then, I have done the will of the Khan and you have destroyed your people. None shall raise a hand to save this heathen nation and all the world shall lay it waste. Then, even in death your souls shall not find peace, as you all worship vain idols, while we of the Horde sumbited to the will of Allah long ago. Vain Liths! You shall regret the day you rejected the mercy of the Great Khan, Toqtamish, who even now sits in such splendor at Sarai that you rude savages cannot imagine it. Never bother to send an envoy unto the Great Khan again for you shall be anathema unto him! *spits again*

The second volley of spit almost fell upon the Grand Duke himself, but passed his arm and landed behind him. Chagan paid it no mind and quickly made for the gate and his horse with Sarai as his destination.

Grand Duke Jogaila himself ran down the Chagan and his guards arrested the Chagan.

"Now, let me ask you, will you declare war upon Lithuania?"

The Tumenbashy was momentarily shocked, but resumed his usual stoic composure in the face of the Grand Duke.

If you arrest me, as I am one of the high officals of the Great Khan, it shall be war most fierce. Let me go... and there is a chance that the Great Khan's mercy shall withold the Horde from the Lith realm till the spring of the coming year. After that, I can make no promises.

Chagan looked at the guards and knocked his boots together as a signal to his servant to take his horse and escape if he was taken prisioner. The Khan would have to know what had happened.

"Go." That was the simple word of Jogaila, but it was enough to call off the guards.

Coat%20of%20arms.gif

UNTO HIS GRACE, JOGAILA, GRAND DUKE OF LITHUANIA

Your Grace,
I read the recent letter from your lands with immense joy. I will gladly accept you into the Church of the One True God. You will indeed be brought into union with the Mystic Body of Christ, and I request that you make the pilgrimage to the Holy City of Rome, for you Baptism and Confirmation. I shall be in the City soon. I will write to inform you as to the exact day you may arrive. As for the war, all military operations will be ceased, and it shall become a mission of converting the people of Lithuania. The soldiers of the Teutonic Order shall be advised to aid in the defense of Lithuania. I await your arrival in Rome.

URBANUS SEXTUS, PONTIFEX MAXIMUS ET VICARIUS CHRISTI

INDICIUM SIENA, ANNO DOMINI MCCCLXXXIV, SEPTUMDECIM ANNUS SUUS GLORIFICUS PONTIFICATE

A lone Livonian knight rides to the Grand Duke's castle in Wilno, bearing with him words of war.

8.jpg

Jogaila, Grand Duke, know that the standards of just warfare demand that deliver to you proper notice of war.

At the call of our masters the Knights Teutonic, the Livonian Brotherhood of the Sword wars upon you and yours. We are the hounds of the Teutons, the dogs of the Lord, and when our teeth are upon your throat you may beg for the sweet release of death and the just judgement of the Lord.

Spare yourself and your children the pain that comes and lie down and die now.

Wilhelm von Vrymersheim

Departure of the Archbishop

byzantion7ic.gif

Archbishop Demetrios of Thessalonica, his proposal ignored, was doubly insulted when the letter from the Bishop of Rome arrived. Knowing that his arrival had been in vain, he quietly left the court. On the way out, a courtier is said to have heard the Archbishop quietly mutter, "If not by words, then by force!"

Stopping at several Orthodox churches along the way east, the Archbishop was invited to speak to the local churchgoers, virtually all Russian merchants. At each, Archbishop Demetrios thundered from the pulpit, of the refusal of the Grand Duke Jogaila to convert, of the wickedness of the Lithuanian Duke. After tearing down the Grand Duke, each time, the Archbishop's features softened. "Faithful children," he would say, "Even though the Grand Duke embraces the teachings of excommunicants, let us be reminded of the Church of Paul. Then, as now, paganism ruled surpreme, and idols were worshipped by the plebes. No king nor prince would give a 'mere Christian' a second glance. But yet, the Faith spread by men and women like you, going to their neighbor, and telling them the Good News. Though you may be persecuted by the pagans, keep your faith; for martyrdom shall give you a place in heaven, and that crown is greater than even the Emperor's in Rome. Be ye then men of great courage, men of zeal, and men of faith: I failed to convert the Prince of Lithuania, and I was humbled, like Paul. But where I failed, you shall find success. Go forth then, to your neighbor who does not know Christ, and tell him."

Finally, the Archbishop reached territory inhabited almost entirely by Russians, and ceased preaching sermons urging conversion of the Lith, for the peasants in those towns would probably never see a Lith in their whole lives. From then on, he rode as quickly as a sixty-two year old man could ride, towards Moscow.

Rebly From Moscow

mosc.bmp

A reply swiftly comes from Moscow:

Grand Duke of Lithuania,

What mockery is this? Your deputy murdered a diplomat. You cannot buy peace with a mere half-hearted offer that maybe you will convert to the Orthodox faith. Remake your offer once you have converted with finality. And do not expect that to be enough. Some payment is due to reimburse us of the loss of a noble man, one true of heart and soul. While it is a mockery to suggest any payment could make up for his loss, perhaps his spirit will rest more easily if Lithuania would hand over overlordship of a few eastern cities to the noble lord he gave his life in service of, and also if it could be guaranteed the Liths shall gain salvation.

Once this matter is cleared and the fate of the pagan's in Lithuania changed for the better, Muscovy would gladly assist Lithuania in fighting the Catholic invaders. Until then, it is our duty to help fellow Christians fighting heathen pagans. We hope you will allow us to follow another duty - one to help fellow Orthodox defend against rabid Catholics.

Signed,
Grand Duke of Muscovy, Dmitrii Donskoi

A letter arrived for the Grand Duke. It was sealed and for the rulers eyes only.

crest.gif

Onto His Highness Grand Duke Jogaila of Lithuania

Recently a letter was sent from the Cardinal-Archbishop of Esztergom, a letter in which he spoke for both the hungarian crown and church. We know not if that letter reached your hand or not, but as far as we know the Cardinal-Archbishop never received a reply to his letter.

Be that as it may, we feel that what we have to offer Your Highness and your lands is of such importance that it warrants another letter.

Your lands are under pressure from many sides, from the catholic Teutonic Knights, from the orthodox Rus and from the moslem Horde to mention some. Pressure that has recently lead to war being declared upon your lands, and on two fronts at the same time.

The Kingdom of Hungary would like to offer a way to solve this in the future, so that Your Highness may act from a position of security. Thus regaining the initiative and enabling you to pick your own fights instead of having them forced upon you. What we offer is nothing less than a defensive alliance between the Kingdom of Hungary and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. This would dramatically decrease the chance of further attacks on your realm, especially from the mongol hordes.

There are however some condition that must be satisifed before such an alliance could come into being. The first condition would be that Your Highness and Lithuania converted to the Holy Mother Church, thus becoming roman catholics. The other would be that peace must exist between Lithuania and the Teutonic Order.

For the latter I would urge Your Highness to consider the original offer of the Order; the purchase of Samogitia. We believe that this might be the only way to peacefully make the Order stand down. In turn you would gain some funds that would be crucial in the months to come. The reason for this is that Lithuania would still be at war with the muscovites.

Before throwing away this letter please consider what this means. You would be left alone in a battle against an enemy that you significantly outnumber. One that there is no doubt that you can beat on your own. One that you have every right vanquish as they declared war upon you, making ridiculous demands. If any outside forces like the mongol hordes wished to intervene you could rely on your defensive alliance with Hungary. This alone should prevent them from attacking, and if they do attack the forces defending Lithuania would be significantly strengthened. Therefore your chances of regaining the loss of Samogitia in the form of muscovite lands would be great.

Acting in such a way Your Highness would not only please the Order, the Pope and the catholic world at large, but you would also secure an alliance with Hungary and stand to gain substantial lands from Muscowy. The mentioned alliance would in the long term be very beneficial both for Lithuania and Hungary

If Your Highness thinks this a wise course of action we would be happy to put what pressure we can on the Teutonic Knights so that they once again offer the original proposal. If such a thing is to be done it must be done quickly though, before they spend their silver on mercenaries. We doubt that the Order will back off without gaining Samogitia, but if such a thing could be done that would off course be beneficial. The main issue is that peace must exist between Lithuania and the Teutonic Knights.

We hope you will consider this proposal. A conversion to the Mother Church may also open certain doors in western Europe in the future.

May God be with you.

Erzsébet Angevin
Dowager Queen and Regent of Hungary

Last edited:
Coat%20of%20arms.gif

UNTO HIS HIGHNESS, THE SOON TO BE CONFIRMED KAROL OF LITHUANIA, GRAND DUKE OF LITHUANIA

YOUR HIGHNESS,

CONSIDERING YOUR DIRE POSITION, AND ALL MY COORSPONDENCE TO THE TEUTONS IN MARIENBURG HAVE CEASED TO BE DELIVERED, I RECOMMEND YOU ACCEPT A BAND OF PRIESTS, KNOWN AS THE CANONS REGULAR OF SAINT AUGUSTINE, UNDER THE DIRECTION OF FATHER BERNABO DINAPLOI, THE SUPERIOR-GENERAL. HE WILL BEGIN THE PROCESS OF CONVERTING THE LITHUANIAN PEOPLES TO THE ONE HOLY CHURCH. THEY ARE AN ORDER WHICH CONVERTS THROUGH TEACHING, INSTEAD OF THE WAYS OF THE TEUTONS, THROUGH WAR. IF YOU ACCEPT THIS OFFER, FATHER DINAPOLI WILL ARRIVE WITHIN TWO WEEKS OF RECEIVING YOUR LETTER. MAY THIS LETTER AND THE HOLY CHURCH REACH YOU BEFORE A DIRE ATTACK STRIKES YOUR PEOPLE. MAY GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY.

PEACE IN CHRIST,

URBANUS SEXTUS, PONTIFEX MAXIMUS ET VICARIUS CHRISTI

INDICIUN SIENA, ANNO DOMINI MCCCLXXXIV, SEPTUMDECIM ANNUS SUUS GLORIFICUS PONTIFICATE

Another Message from Moscow

mosc.bmp

A message for Jogaila arrives again:
Grand Duke Jogaila,

You have your temporary ceasefire. I am pleased to announce that I myself will be accompanying your grace and the Archbishop of Thessalonica on your journey to Constantinople. In the mean time, I will commit my own soldiers to ensure none of your many potential pretenders attempt to sieze power in your absence.

Please send your reply and confirmation of our agreement.

Signed,
Dmitrii Donskoi, Grand Duke of Muscovy

“Elizabeth, Queen of Poland, Transylvania, Slavonia, Croatia, and Dalmatia, Queen Dowager of Naples, Jerusalem, and Albania, Princess Dowager of Achaia, Durazzo, and Taranto, to Jogaillo, Grand Duke of Lithuania, greetings.

I will first take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Elizabeth, daughter of Stephen, brother of King Lajos of Hungary. Thus I am the granddaughter of the princess Elizabeth, of the house of Piast, and a candidate for the Polish throne. In addition, I have also acquired the claims of the late Charles III, and his brother Duke John of Gravina to the said throne. I am twice widowed, and still of sufficient age to produce more children. If you will convert to Christianity, then I will be most pleased to offer my hand in marriage to your highness. Know that the princess Jadwiga is still a young child, and is already married to a German prince. Any rule you have with her will be full of intervention from her mother and the House of Luxembourg, into which her sister Maria has married into.

By her own hand,
Elizabeth, Queen of Poland.”

A Rider arrives from from Sarai, the heart of the Golden Horde.

gold7hh.png

Unto the various godless "Dukes" of the Liths

If the seige of our favored vassal, the Grand Duke of Muscovy, in his fortress at Moscow is not soon lifted, it is the will of the Khan that war shall come upon Lithuania like a flaming sword in the hand of Mikael the Archangel! It has been only by the grace of Allah Almighty that the Khan's hand has been staid from striking you heathens, but if you continue to strike his children, then war is the only course.

There is another way, though, to avert war with the Khan of Khans. Render unto him Kiev, Tchernigov, Novgorod Sieversk unto your lord Toqtamish and peace between the Horde and the Liths shall reign a thousand years, inshallah. Otherwise, gird yourselves for the flames of Hell.

Signed,
Isa ibn-Hâkim Chormaghan, Grand Vizer of Toqtamish, Great Khan of the Golden Horde, Overlord of the Grand Prince of Muscovy, the Prince of Ryazan, the Prince of Vladimir-Suzdal, and the Prince of Tver, and Khan of Nogai and Sibir