• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sir Hunter

Second Lieutenant
22 Badges
Dec 24, 2003
  • Iron Cross
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
Would be cool if you could set your own government type in EU3. In EU2 even if it was an emperor or president it still said monarch. Would be cool if you could set the country to be a republic or a monarchy and so on. Just an idea :)

But was this sort of thing important in the historical period? How many nations really were Republics at that time, and did this really incluence their domestic or foreign policy in any meaningful way? Keep in mind that Paradox hasn't announced yet how far they will go with the time frame of the game, so the only real Republic in-game for most of in-game time would be the Dutch Republic...

Yeah, it would be nice if a republic felt different, had to be played different, gave different choices to be made and different issues to be presented with.:)

EDIT: And even better, there could be possible to change from a republic to a monarchy if the conditions were right! Like the Medicis getting more and more power, ultimately making a dynastic rule out of it, wasn't that roughtly what happened IRL?

If the whole dynastical thing really is implemented, then there'll certainly be a huge difference between a monarchy and a republic! No need to worry about the succession, but on the other hand, no mean to acquire territory "through the bedroom". A more efficient government and economy (since the republican rulers would probably be from the bourgouise), but less diplomatic "clout" and less prestigious.

Let's just pray that they decide to make non-monarchies unplayable... But considering the popularity of Venice, that shouldn't be a threat...

Tambourmajor said:
But was this sort of thing important in the historical period? How many nations really were Republics at that time, and did this really incluence their domestic or foreign policy in any meaningful way? Keep in mind that Paradox hasn't announced yet how far they will go with the time frame of the game, so the only real Republic in-game for most of in-game time would be the Dutch Republic...

In the early part of the game it might not be so important. But in the later part, with USA and Napoleon etc. Also the Republic in Great Britain.

Tambourmajor said:
If they are serious about adding depth to all areas in the game, including diplomatic and domestic, what Hunter is suggesting is an excellent way to add to it. Along with the domestic sliders, which I'm sure will get an upgrade of some sort.

At the same time, changing your government shouldn't be an easy or painless process. I don't want to see all of Europe go to liberal democracies in 1550.

Tambourmajor said:
But was this sort of thing important in the historical period? How many nations really were Republics at that time, and did this really incluence their domestic or foreign policy in any meaningful way?

Uhh, how about Venice??

Perhaps having government type partly depending on DP settings as in HoI2? But you would not want too many sorts of government I think. Monarchy, that's nice and obvious. Republic - the Italian states after all. Constitutional Monarchy perhaps (to represent countries such as the UK where the Royal Prerogative became much weaker towards the end of the period). Not too many types though I would have thought.

I'd think it'd be better to just represent it with DP sliders (republics being on some extreme or another off one of the sliders or a combination of several sliders)

It could work very well with sliders as in HoI2.
One slider decide if you are a Republic or a Monarch.
Another slider decide how free the Republic/Monarchy is. If the slider goes to absolute power in a republic then it will be an emperor ruling instead of a president. And if the slider goes the other way as a monarchy then it will be a constitutional monarchy.

stnylan said:
Perhaps having government type partly depending on DP settings as in HoI2? But you would not want too many sorts of government I think. Monarchy, that's nice and obvious. Republic - the Italian states after all. Constitutional Monarchy perhaps (to represent countries such as the UK where the Royal Prerogative became much weaker towards the end of the period). Not too many types though I would have thought.
Perhaps differentiate between Divine Rule Monarchies/Theocracies and regular ones, perhaps?

Again, although DP sliders were all well and and fine for EUII, we might have some sort of dynastic system for EU3, and that should only apply when you're a monarchy, so a strict distinsion would be neccesary.

Sir Hunter said:
In the early part of the game it might not be so important. But in the later part, with USA and Napoleon etc. Also the Republic in Great Britain.

But remember the tieframe is UP TO (not including) the revolutionary period, in which case there will probably be no USA, French, Batavian, Trans-Alpine, Napoleonic Helvetian Republics.

I dont see much need for a 'government' setting beyond the Domestic sliders (or a varient thereof)

Ayeshteni

The DP sliders could probably simple be "Elective/Heridatery" (sp?) and "autocratic"/"decentralized"?

PriestOfDiscord said:
Perhaps differentiate between Divine Rule Monarchies/Theocracies and regular ones, perhaps?

That is to some degree a tougher distinction, seeing as how most monarchies prescribed to the idea of the Divine Right, especially earlier on in the time period. I've always been a little unhappy at the link between theocracy (inquisitiors) and innovativeness in EU2.

Arilou said:
The DP sliders could probably simple be "Elective/Heridatery" (sp?) and "autocratic"/"decentralized"?

I'd say monarchy/republic, autocratic/decentralised, and aristocratic/plutocratic. Perhaps toss in intolerant/pluralistic to represent religoius issues somewhat, though given that there were really no tolerant countries at the time, just varying levels of intolerance, I am not sure about that idea.

stnylan said:
I'd say monarchy/republic, autocratic/decentralised, and aristocratic/plutocratic. Perhaps toss in intolerant/pluralistic to represent religoius issues somewhat, though given that there were really no tolerant countries at the time, just varying levels of intolerance, I am not sure about that idea.

I think Monarch/Republic is a bit too simplistic, I like "Elective" better than "republic" because it means you could fit in electoral kingdoms too.

Arilou said:
I think Monarch/Republic is a bit too simplistic, I like "Elective" better than "republic" because it means you could fit in electoral kingdoms too.

like Poland

Arilou said:

I was not actually thinking along those lines, but rather the division of power between an executive monarchy and legislative council / assembly / parliement / whatever, though I do see where you are coming from.

stnylan said:
I was not actually thinking along those lines, but rather the division of power between an executive monarchy and legislative council / assembly / parliement / whatever, though I do see where you are coming from.

Ah, I think that would fit under the "authoritative" idea.

So Britain would be a heridatery state but with a good dose of "decentralization" (a bit of the wrong word, but you get my point)

The dutch would be both elective and centralized, while the poles would be elective and decentralized etc. etc.