• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Merrick Chance'

Comte de Purchase
77 Badges
Jun 28, 2007
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Alaska's population in 1890--
Alaska's population in 1900--

Chicago's population in 1890--
Chicago's population in 1900--

In an average game of Vicky, playing as America, Alaska and California (if you haven't annexed other immigration targets) will have something like 100,000 and 3,000,000 people per province, respectively, by the end of the game. In the meanwhile, New York and Chicago will have gotten maybe 50 thousand immigrants by the end of the game. This is rather silly, especially considering the huge impact the industrialization of Chicago had. Beyond this, the Central American states will have gotten relatively little immigrants, when large amounts of people going to California via Honduras or Panama stayed.

This level of pop-insanity is due to the inordinate amount of stock pops put in having a precious metal producing province in a state, to the degree that playing as a European state one of the best moves is to attack Egypt to get Massua, which gets around 1 million pops a game.

So the point is, and this has already been touched on in some DD's, will pops care less about gold in Vicky 2? The influencing migration thing seems like it could help, but geography, in the end, should play the biggest part. If some sort of logistical system, wherein pops try to migrate to another state, take the shortest route to said state, with the possibility that they stay in any place the go along the way (as was mentioned Central America got a lot of immigrants who couldn't afford to go all the way to California) could be made, that would be ideal. Influencing migration is something I agree with, however Chicago's (and Illinois's) growth came primarily out of corporations and the US government creating the demand for land and placing ads in New England and Ireland--in short, you would have to give the player a great deal of influence to get the historical 2.3 million Chicagoans by endgame.

Hopefully it will be simply related to income and life rating primarily for migration in V2. First POP looks for income, then highest life rating. Minor factors should be culture, government type, religion, and geographic area.

Precious metals in themselves should not affect migration outside of limited time events which raise life rating when there is gold rush for example. If the miners can earn a good income before or after gold rush then if they migrate so be it. I just hope there is some sort of limited returns for RGOs so POPs don't just pile up in the best RGO. After enough POPs migrate to a high profit RGO eventually the profit would decrease for late arriving POPs enough that other RGO are more attractive. So eventually all the nice RGOs are filled and then less and less attractive RGOs are filled. Eventually POPs spread out to the least attractive RGO unless factory jobs are supplied in enough quantity RGOs incomes aren't competitive any longer.

While the gold rushes in Vicky 1 may have gone somewhat overboard, they should still be represented as they were a very important factor in the development of the western United States. It greatly influenced the growth of Colorado, for instance. In 1870, the state had a total of 39 thousand people. By 1880 the population had grown to 194 thousand and in 1890 it was up to 413 thousand. Perhaps this can be solved by giving certain POPs modifiers occasionally so they will seek out provinces that produce precious metals. This would allow the large migrations of the gold rushes to be represented, but also allow regular immigration to large cities to be simulated (hopefully).

This can be easily done. It is just matter of income realted to migration. Working as labourer on precious metal RGO should largely increase your income, so if the increase will be high enough, people will move there quickly. You just have to support this movement by keeping high RGO level.

I have to admit, this was the single hugest issue for me. I played an America game, grabbing mexico as well, and all th gold states ended up with about 1/3rd the population of my country by 1910.

I enjoyed Vicky 1 very much, but I would have paid $50 just to get the entire immigration system working really well, I felt it was very unrepresentative and somewhat broken, and I wish that fixture fixed for Vicky 2 more than any other.

While the gold rushes in Vicky 1 may have gone somewhat overboard, they should still be represented as they were a very important factor in the development of the western United States. It greatly influenced the growth of Colorado, for instance. In 1870, the state had a total of 39 thousand people. By 1880 the population had grown to 194 thousand and in 1890 it was up to 413 thousand.
True, but Nebraska grew from 123 thousand in 1870 to 452 thousand in 1880 and more than 1 million in 1890. And Nevada, which experienced a mineral rush, grew from 42 thousand in 1870 to 62 thousand in 1880 before falling back to 46 thousand in 1890. Gold rushes and similar events should immediately draw some migrants into the provinces where they occur, but they shouldn't change the underlying suitability of a province for habitation. A relatively hospitable state like California or Colorado should grow even in the absence of a gold rush, but a gold rush would allow them to grow faster earlier. A relatively inhospitable state like Nevada or Alaska should receive a temporary growth spurt from a gold rush, possibly followed by a decline if the gold runs out. Either way, this should be modeled by POPs migrating to places with unusually high profitability and employment prospects. There's no need for gold to have a highly artificial effect on province characteristics.