• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kenneth: I have played the game up to December 14th 1944 but when I had made the plan i was going on past experiences on this scenario

Phoenix: I used nofog just to show off my plans after I have done this nofog will be turned off until my screenshots, August, Dec and when the war ends.

Last edited:
Prussian_King said:
Carthade:Thanks for that. The AAR will be updated very soon (I hope).

Phoenix: What was Operation Dragoon?

P_K

Operation Dragoon was the invasion of south-east France, to relieve some parts of German forces attacking Normandy.

Preparations For Invasion​

After the Normandy Beach head had not broken out far enough yet the Canadian High Command decided that the time was right for Plan X to be put into operation.

10th August 1944

To Army Corps Commanders in Normandy

Due to the slow breakout of the Allied Forces in the Normandy beach head the Canadian General Staff have decided that all Canadian Troops in the Normandy Area are to be withdrawn to Cherbourg and are to await arrival of transportation. We request that you leave for Cherbourg straight away.

Henry Crerar
Chief of Army, Chief of Staff

To the army corps that had only recently arrived in France this was seen as an act of betrayal towards their Allies. However, they agreed to follow their commanders.

Theroadtocherbourg.jpg
On the road to Cherbourg

Upon arriving in Cherbourg and finding that the Navy was already there they realised that they were merely being redeployed but where to and when they did not know.

As the 15th of August passed the only people who knew of the significance of that date were the people Mackenzie King had told and had permitted to be told on the 20th of June 1944. As this date rushed towards them, they realised that they would have to postpone the date of invasion to late August. They decided that the invasion would be on 26th August 1944.

Prepartions for the invasion of Denmark were stepped up. This included the destination being specified on crates.Only 100 people in Normandy were give the information.

Crate.jpg
The secrecy of the destination was of paramount importance.

However, still a good proportion of the soldiers found out the destination and unwittingly confirmed themselves for a spell aboard a transport ship not involved in the operation stop this breach of security.

Transport.jpg

The transport ship in question

Suspicions Mount

With the disappearance of some of their comrades in arms some of the soldiers started to question their purpose in Cherbourg. Their view was that all of their allies were involved in some sort of action and here they were being held back. And why? Were they not the men who had paid a vital role in the campaigns of Africa and Italy.

When these feeling reached the ears of the Chief of Staff he decided that today, the 22nd August 1944 would be the day that he ordered the soldiers to embark onto the transport ships and begin travelling towards the Heligoland Bight.

Embarkment.jpg
Canadians wait to board the transports

Henry Crerar, meanwhile had to inform Mackenzie King of his decision:

Henry Crerar: Sir, I just gave the order to go.

Mackenzie King: Good good inform London of my imminent arrival.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, next time on - Göttdämmerung (1944): A Canadian AAR -

The Invasion begins

Update again 1 or 2 days

------------------------------------------------------------------

P_K

Last edited:
Nice update. :)

The High Command have now renamed Plan X...... Operation Underling

:rofl:

Seems fitting for Canada. :D

Onward Winnipeg Rifles!!

The Landing at Aarhus

TheLanding.jpg

Troops of the 1st Canadian Infantry Divison landing at a beach in Aarhus.

26th August 1944 0600 GMT

As the shore gunners in Esbjerg were waking up the men of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division were sneaking ashore to take control of the town. At exactly the same time the 4th Canadian Armoured Division and the 2nd Canadian Infantry Divison were landing at Aarhus to stop the retreat towards Copenhagen.

Whitehall

Mackenzie King: Well Henry how have the initial landings gone.

Henry Crerar: Sir as of the moment our men control Arhus and one of our divisions are already moving into Aalborg. Furthermore, 3rd Infantry Division and the 4th Armoured Division are posed to move into Odense and Kolding.

Mackenzie King: When do the follow up landings take place?

Henry Crerar: Right about now...

As Mackenzie King and Henry Crerar were talking these divisions were indeed getting ready to move into Aalborg, Odense and Kolding. However, what they had not expected was the resistance they were facing from the German troops. The intelligence they had recieved was that the troops in this area were third - rate with little combat experience. Instead, the troops they were facing were anything but third - rate.

GermanTroops.jpg

The "third - rate" troops in action.​

Fortunately by evening these troops had taken control of Arhus, Aalborg, Odense, Kolding and were pushing into Kiel and the city of Copenhagen.

Now it was the turn of Mackenzie King to do his duty for his country.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time on Göttdämmerung 1944: A Canadian AAR -

Mackenzie King does his duty and
Into Germany we go.

Sorry about the delay for this update as I said a few posts back I have been trying to fix my save game.

Kingy

Last edited: