• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Great Raid: Successions and Failures
9th of December in the Year 774 of the Millennium of Flame

Night

Drake Dununge, gosling Count of Austisland in the duchy of Asarcornisen, sat awake reading by the light of a candle. He was not supposed to be doing so; he had been put to bed more than an hour prior. However, the little eleven-year-old had tossed and turned in his nest until finally giving up on falling asleep and opting instead to re-read the funny little picture-poem book that the human foreigner Adrien had created for him.

Drake liked Adrien immensely—the diplomat was such a funny, friendly fellow. Courtiers had told the little count not to trust him; he was from the bad isles, one of the southern savages who had attacked them in the past. But Count Drake knew they had beaten back the savages all three times they had attacked, and not once had Adrien lifted a finger to aid his barbaric brethren. In fact, when word of the most recent sighting of the Fairy Fleet reached Count Drake (apparently raiders had shown up to attack Duke Arne’s capital of Hvamm back in early October of the previous year), Adrien had been in Drake’s presence at the time the report was read and applauded the valiant Geeseguard’s victory with the rest of the courtiers. Besides, Drake was not alone in his enjoyment of Adrien’s company: most of the goslings at court felt similarly warm towards the foreigner.

A commotion outside his door interrupted the young count’s perusal through the book, prompting him to swiftly snuff his candle and tuck his head under a wing to feign slumber. He listened attentively, heart pounding in his chest. Last time he had been caught awake after bedtime his nursemaid had confiscated all of his toys and kept them from him for the entire rest of the following day. Drake was rather rambunctious and trouble-prone, to be sure, but that didn’t mean he took pleasure in getting reprimanded.

“You must let me through!” honked an agitated voice. Drake recognized that deep, authoritative baritone: it was Mayor Gladstone of Reyðarfjall.

146. Mayor Gladstone.png

Though he strove to be a model defender of the faith, Gladstone’s obsessive jealousy in relationships with the fairer sex made him more feared than idolized

“The count is sleeping. Whatever your business, it can wait,” growled the count’s night-watchman. Mayor Gladstone served as the count’s marshal, which had given him authority over Austisland’s levies. However, contrary to Gladstone’s belief, the role did not give him control of the count’s household guard. Friction between the marshal and the captain-of-the-guard had swiftly evolved into friction between the levies and the guardsmen, which now ensured tense standoffs whenever members of either faction came into contact with one another. Drake did not quite grasp why two groups sworn to his protection could not simply work together, but in the end he felt like the issue did not really concern him one way or the other.

“It is barely past twilight. Nobody is sleeping,” protested the mayor.

“Except the count,” the guard snapped.

“My business does not concern a count! My business concerns the duke!” Gladstone asserted forcefully. “Now stand aside or I shall go through you!”

“Try it,” the guard jeered.

Drake wondered what Mayor Gladstone felt was so important about the duke that he needed to barge into the count’s bedchambers after bedtime to announce it. Count Drake did not like Duke Arne, not one bit. Duke Arne was a mean old snob, always judging everyone and demanding all the attention. He especially hated Count Drake, because without an heir of his own the count was the de facto heir apparent to the duchy of Asarcornisen. Duke Arne had made it perfectly clear on many occasions he intended the ducal title to pass on only to those of his family, even going so far as to frighten the little Drake with threats when they were in private. Drake didn’t even want the ducal title; if it made people turn out like Arne, it couldn’t be very much fun at all to be a duke.

Regardless of Duke Arne’s bad attitude, there was also the mess that had occurred this very year. After the Fairy Fleet fled from the Geeseguard, the evil Chief Boson had apparently opted for more insidious methods of sowing discord in the duchy. Rumors had reached Austisland that Duke Arne had discovered a claim to the county. These rumors were soon reinforced when Mayor Gladstone confirmed Duke Arne had begun privately amassing soldiers for unknown purposes. All throughout March and April the political climate had grown increasingly tense, to the point that even the peasantry spoke of looming civil war.

147. Antagonizing Arne 1.png

They may excel at repelling Fairies, but how shall they fare against each other?

Count Drake’s chancellor had made it his personal mission to abort the brewing conflict, spending countless hours pouring through legal documentation before ultimately riding to the capital itself to study the evidence in question firsthand. Doubtful of the chancellor’s chances of success, Mayor Gladstone had assembled the county’s levies and urged Drake to reach out to his northern neighbor Count Nottington for assistance. Count Nottington had been reluctant to commit to a side, but Drake’s steward hypothesized that Nottington would almost certainly align with them if a civil war did break out to preserve the balance of power between the counts and the duke. Ultimately Nottington’s loyalties had not been put to the test however; Count Drake’s chancellor had at the very last possible moment exposed the document Duke Arne based his claim off of as fraudulent.

148. Antagonizing Arne 2.png

In the battle of swords, victorious. In the battle of wits…

In early May Duke Arne arrived in person to apologize to Count Drake for the fiasco. He explained the fake claim had reached him by way of Chief Boson’s spies, though he had not been aware of that fact at the time. It was all a terrible mistake, and one he deeply regretted.

“This unfortunate incident is a blight on our duchy’s history, and I hope with my humble apology here today we can forever put it behind us,” Duke Arne had said.

Count Drake’s chancellor had started to respond, but Drake had cut him off. “You shouldn’t have done anything anyway! This is my county, fair and square! You’re a bad duke!”

Before Duke Arne could respond Count Drake had stuck his tongue out at him and darted out of the hall. He could tell the duke was not sorry that a war had almost happened; indeed, if anything that bully was sorrier that it hadn’t. Duke Arne had eyed Count Drake’s home and lands with envy and bitterness as his entourage rode in, everyone said so. That he had to humiliate himself here was only justice, and Count Drake would not do anything to make the moment easier on his liegelord.

Count Drake’s chancellor had explained afterwards that the duke was under a lot of stress. Having spent time in the duke’s court whilst examining the fake claim, he could confirm Duke Arne had grown increasingly obsessed with the savages to their south. Chief Boson and the threat he posed was all Duke Arne talked about, and seizing Count Drake’s lands had appealed to the duke precisely because it would allow him to consolidate power to protect himself from the bloodthirsty infidels. Count Drake did recall the duke looking somewhat haggard and sleep-deprived, though Arne hid it well behind fancy clothes and well-groomed plumage. Still, if that was supposed to excuse the months of fear and uncertainty he had subjected Count Drake and his court to then the duke would be sorely disappointed.

Duke Arne’s condition had only worsened when in June Adrien had delivered Chief Boson’s response to the outraged diplomatic inquiry regarding the fake claim. Adrien had been taken back to Hvamm with the duke’s entourage when the duke departed Austisland after his official apology. Upon his return Count Drake brought him before the court to explain what had happened. Adrien reluctantly repeated the message from his chieftain for them, and for a full minute afterwards no-one in the court had said a word.

149. Antagonizing Arne 3.png

A threat… and a promise

“You feeble, arrogant oaf. This is but the beginning. Your misery will never end so long as I draw breath,” Adrien had recited. “You shall never know peace, whether I bring war by the blade or war by the word. Sleep if you dare, but know that I shall not rest until all that you hold dear is wrenched away from you and you lie broken beneath my boot. Look forward to the day of my return; it is coming sooner than you think.”

Even Count Drake had been cowed into silence, a rare occurrence for him. He had looked at Adrien in a different light in the following days, though Adrien made a great effort to ensure things returned to the way they had been as soon as possible. Regardless of what Drake thought of Adrien’s master, he found it impossible to fear the silly, jovial diplomat for long. Besides, the message had been for Duke Arne, not him, and Count Drake did not have very much sympathy to spare for the duke in light of recent events.

“Do you honestly think I would barge in here like this if it were not important?” Mayor Gladstone demanded, returning Drake’s attention to the altercation occurring just outside his door. “Stand aside this instant! For the good of Austisland!”

“I’m the night-watchman tonight. I’ll be relieved in a few hours’ time. I’ll stand down then. And not before,” the guard informed the marshal.

Abruptly sounds of a scuffle became audible, and just as abruptly they ceased. Drake took his head out from under his wing, peering through the dark at his door. Curiosity was beginning to get the better of him, and he wondered if he might be able to peek through the gap under the door and see what was going on. The sounds of physical conflict resumed, louder this time, and Drake guessed that Mayor Gladstone had decided it would be more expedient to push past the guard only to discover the guard was no pushover. Who was on duty tonight? Was it Billiam? Tufton? If it was noisy, musclebound Spruce Spanner, whom everyone called the Incredible Honk, there was no way Gladstone would ever get through.

“Just what is going on here?” Drake heard his nursemaid shout in her most imperious tone. The sounds of struggle immediately ended.

“Mistress Mayfeathers,” Mayor Gladstone addressed her, clearing his throat. “I have urgent business with our liege. I must be permitted entry at once.”

“Count Drake is sleeping,” the nursemaid told the mayor. “Unless your hooliganism woke him up. And even then, he is not to be disturbed. He is a growing gosling and it is past his bedtime.”

“Listen to me! There isn’t time for this!” Gladstone urged.

“I think you meant to say ‘This isn’t the time for this,’ which I wholeheartedly agree with,” Mistress Mayfeathers sniffed.

“You heard the lady, waddle off,” the guard commanded.

“Duke Arne is dead!” Mayor Gladstone blurted out. His words were followed by a stunned silence.

150. Antagonizing Arne; Arne Dies!.png

He who honks last…

“Wh-what?” Drake’s nursemaid eventually stammered.

“Dead! He was found early this morning! There are men coming this very moment to take Drake to the capital! He must be ready for them!” Gladstone cried.

“How?” the guard croaked.

“He’s been depressed for months. Erratic. Volatile. The stress probably got to him,” Gladstone said impatiently. “I don’t know precisely how, but I’ve heard it was suicide. Regardless, Arne had no children. Drake is now the Duke of Asarcornisen.”

Drake’s bill dropped open. He was the duke now? Just like that? It sounded absurd! He went to bed a count, and a count was all he wanted to be! And who was coming for him? What did they want? Why did they want him in the capital? His head was spinning, and for a moment Drake thought he would fall out of his nest.

“Drake is too young to be the duke! Who will be the regent?” Mistress Mayfeathers asked.

“Nottington, if I had to guess,” Gladstone replied. “At least, it’s Nottington summoning Drake to court. No doubt he wants him under his wing as soon as possible.”

“He cannot go! He’s just a gosling!” Mistress Mayfeathers insisted.

“It’s not up to you!” Gladstone bellowed, losing his patience at last. “Or you, you plucking imbecile! Get out of my way!”

The guard protested but this time failed to stop Mayor Gladstone from shoving his way in. The door to Drake’s bedchambers creaked open and torchlight spilled into the dark room. Drake stared at the geese piling in, his eyes wide.

“My liege,” Mayor Gladstone began, dipping his head respectfully. “I hope I did not wake you, but it is good you are awake. There is something important we need to discuss.”

Duke Drake gulped and rose. “Yes indeed. I need to know what to bring with me to the capital.”

Spruce Spanner, whom everyone called the Incredible Honk
Heheheheh never change.

So Bonson intimidated a man to death. Very impressive. I hope fate has something kinder in store for the young Duke, he seems like a sweet gosling.

Arne definitely wasn't a goose to enjoy his newfound youth...

And so, Boson could use his strengths in foreign affairs after all. Remains to be seen if he's weakened - or strengthened - Asarcornisen in the long run. Drake may be young now, but Arne didn't lead his army either - and the internal turmoil of the duchy has just lost one of its players. Further reduction - by removing Nottington, for example - would fully unify the island, which would certainly not be good for Boson's ambitions.

I love the way you show us the happenings in distant lands.
I think Duke Drake is adorable but I fear that Boson won't give him the time to get comfortable in his new position.

Heheheheh never change.

So Bonson intimidated a man to death. Very impressive. I hope fate has something kinder in store for the young Duke, he seems like a sweet gosling.

:D
As long as Asarcornisen remains under the wings of geese, Boson will work to destroy them. I fear for the little duke...

Arne definitely wasn't a goose to enjoy his newfound youth...

And so, Boson could use his strengths in foreign affairs after all. Remains to be seen if he's weakened - or strengthened - Asarcornisen in the long run. Drake may be young now, but Arne didn't lead his army either - and the internal turmoil of the duchy has just lost one of its players. Further reduction - by removing Nottington, for example - would fully unify the island, which would certainly not be good for Boson's ambitions.

Arne and Boson aged up at the exact same time, both frail, both determined to win out over the other. In retrospect it was inevitable that only one could survive; the world wasn't big enough for the both of them! Still, Arne's death was a (happy) surprise to Boson. You are right about the effects it has had; ironically, Boson has done more to unify the island than any of the geese living there. However, there is still disparity - Count Nottington is a strong leader and the current regent while Duke Drake is impudent but ultimately passive. It's a mix of "quantity versus quality" in terms of armies and "youth versus experience" in terms of leadership: tough to predict how things will shake out up there! Still, you can bet Boson isn't done meddling. :rolleyes:;)

I love the way you show us the happenings in distant lands.
I think Duke Drake is adorable but I fear that Boson won't give him the time to get comfortable in his new position.

I'm glad you enjoy the peeks abroad, I sometimes fear I should be keeping the focus more locked on Boson. Duke Drake is an unfortunate lad; not only is he inheriting power he didn't even want, but with it he inherits the enemies that drove his predecessor to the grave. I wish the little guy luck, but only because he's really going to need it :oops:

----

To all - thanks so much for reading! Happy Mother's Day to any mothers out there! This chapter ran a bit longer than most and coincided with a bunch of work requiring my attention all at once. I've been taking graduate classes and they've entered "Finals Season", so to speak, so I'm kind of swamped with essays, tests, and coursework right now. As such, I've decided to post two chapters now and take the following two weeks (next weekend and the weekend after) off. If I can post, I will, but I don't want to set expectations and disappoint them. Got to get my work done first! The second chapter I'm posting is an interlude - we've reached 775! - so it's a fine pausing point anyway. I hope you enjoy!

The Great Raid: Letters From Home
1st of July in the Year 775 of the Millennium of Flame

Noon

“We caught another group trying to slip our ring, my chieftain. Their attempts grow more foolhardy by the day. They cannot hold out in there much longer,” Charles reported. The ex-regent had to trot to keep up as Boson strode purposefully back towards his tent.

“Chief Boson! Today seems like a good day for battle, wouldn’t you agree?” Raimbaut Wrothjaw called out as Boson and Charles passed by.

“You would say the same even if we were neck-deep in snow with a blizzard on the way,” snorted Bertin Barrelchest, with whom Wrothjaw had been gambling.

“Shut up! Unless you’d like a taste of battle today too?” Raimbaut growled.

“Test me and all you’ll taste is defeat,” Bertin warned. In an instant the two were wrestling. Boson and Charles proceeded without ever having paused.

151. Barrelchest and Wrothjaw.png

A pair of the Fairy Fleet’s finest

“What is your estimate on their supplies?” Boson asked, finally coming to a halt outside his tent and turning to face the field medic.

“Low?” Charles replied lamely. He shrugged. “They stored as much as they could in the temple while we raided the county capital. But though it has proven difficult to crack, they cannot mount any real resistance from within. And those peasants are hardly trained soldiers regardless. I confess Wrothjaw’s plan of action is not without merit – why wait for their supplies to run out when we could just storm the place? By all estimates we outnumber them three-to-one.”

“Because this Mosque of Mære is unimportant, and I would rather our men were restless than wearied. We might have many more places to search,” Boson replied.

“To search for… what?” Charles prompted delicately. It had become clear to the raiders that Boson had not organized this raid purely for plunder. Beyond the fact that they were sieging down settlements instead of looting the countryside and departing, there was also the keenly-felt danger of where they had chosen to strike: the mountainous northern heartland of the Dootdi sect of the Shattered Religion.

Asarcornisen’s infidels were one thing; isolated as they were there was no real danger of the Dootdi mounting an allied force to come to the island’s aid. But Boson had taken a great risk sailing directly east after forsaking that frozen shore. Though the chieftain had attempted to downplay the threat to his men when setting the course, the truth was that the northern continental coastline had long been considered off-limits to any prolonged raiding expeditions. More than a century ago, in the time of Boson’s great-grandfather, the Dootdi sect had formed a compact of protection – the so-called Dootdi Defense Accord – announcing an attack on any ruler of the Dootdi faith was in fact an attack on every ruler of the Dootdi faith. Ever fearful of “That Without a Name” and the “Army of Heretics and Heathens” it would use to “damn all creation to eternal darkness”, the Dootdi Caliph decreed the accord would ensure no momentum against the faithful could rise against their homelands.

152. Dootdi Defense Accord.jpg

Boson continues to find ever bigger bears to poke

Most at the time believed the Dootdi Defense Accord was a farce: the elephants and geese in the Dootdi realms had a history of antagonism towards each other that went back further than the founding of the Dootdi sect itself, after all. However, in the following decades the accord was not only upheld but zealously enforced, such that long-term raids met overwhelming opposition and military conquests aimed in the region wildly underestimated what they would be up against. The accord was primarily a counter to the Divine Karachevian Empire’s expansion northward, but Boson’s great-grandfather had dismissed the danger and lost half his fleet as well as his life raiding the coast of Kattegat. In fact, it was this unification of opposition in Dootdi lands (and a desire for revenge) that motivated Boson’s grandfather to begin recruiting a more respectable fighting force, a mission his son and eventually grandson would perpetuate right up until the Invasion of Arduen and the spread of Children’s Pox.

Speaking of Children’s Pox, Boson attributed the Fairy Fleet’s ability to operate as freely as it thus far had in Dootdi domains directly to the arcane plague. The rulers of these realms had either forgotten their oaths, lost too many fighting men to honor them, or no longer felt obligated to uphold them; the only explanation for such widespread disregard of the now rather ancient accord was the chaos that followed in the wake of Children’s Pox. It had only been about a decade since the standard state of affairs had been overturned overnight. Such disarray was hardly surprising, all things considered.

Still, Boson proceeded with caution. The Fairy Fleet had sailed up and down the continental coastline in the North Sea, striking everywhere from the duchy of Radjah (Ivoryland’s western neighbor) to Callducken (off of Kattegat). Boson kept them mobile, lingering to siege settlements down but fleeing before any significant force could waylay them. Many a time the warriors of Færeyar felt almost cheated by Boson’s commands to depart; even armies of equal or lesser size to their raiding party prompted the chieftain to beat a hasty retreat. The fact that they simply went somewhere else to start another siege afterwards baffled them; if he was determined enough to stay in these dangerous waters, why was Boson apparently afraid to stand his ground when a ragtag militia of locals marched on them?

153. The Great Raid; Kinsarvik Sacked.png

Boson’s hit-and-run tactics at work

What had ultimately convinced everyone they were hunting something specific was Boson’s handling of the hoard. Everywhere they went Boson made a point of examining everything they pillaged, and though the fleet was amassing quite the treasure trove by this point the chieftain still seemed disappointed. If anyone brought the subject up to Boson however he became tight-lipped or irritable, quashing all attempts to pry the true target of the raid out of him with sharp words or a stony-faced stare. Speculation amongst the men thus ran rampant, and even Charles had entered the betting pool in favor of a long-lost family heirloom. He had not really expected a straight answer when asking Boson directly as he had just now, but Charles found he could not help but try for one regardless. Maybe today Boson would finally want to come clean on the subject, after all. And if not today, maybe tomorrow.

Boson eyed Charles sharply for a moment before turning to enter his tent. “More treasure, of course,” he lied dismissively. “Inform me if anything changes, but otherwise do not disturb me. I have some important letters to review.”

Boson let the tent flap fall behind him, ending the conversation. He marched swiftly to a satchel lying beside his animal fur bedding and pulled out the letters in question. He had sent one of the pied ravens home to inform Jeanne when the Fairy Fleet had abandoned Asarcornisen a little more than a year ago, alerting her to his plan of striking the continent. He had sent another after being chased out of Telemark in Callducken to relay his intentions to return northwards along the coastline. These correspondences had paid off, for though no word had come after the first raven this time a ship laden with supplies and bearing a messenger had managed to reach them as they loitered in Nidaros besieging its holdings.

154. The Great Raid; Fleeing Telemark.png

Carefully probing the Dootdi defenses without engaging the enemy

The messenger had plenty of news for the raiders and a satchel of documents for Boson, of which three letters in particular had stood out to him.

Boson unfurled the one from his chancellor Adrien first, eager to re-read the good news.

13th of February in the Year 775 of the Millennium of Flame

My Chieftain,

I do not know when this will reach you, but I could not contain my excitement. Your claim on the county of Austisland has been confirmed! In the wake of Duke Arne’s tragic suicide at the end of last year, his successor Drake Dununge left his court in Valþjotstadur to take up his new duties in Hvamm. Due to the disarray his unexpected departure caused, I was able to privately peruse numerous documents that have so long been withheld from me. A smudge here, a touch of ink there, and lo! The de Namur line did in fact once have land in Asarcornisen, which now constitutes the majority of Austisland. Should you seek to press your claim on the county, none can question its validity at this point!

155. A Claim on Austisland.png

A holy site of the Dootdi faith, claiming Austisland is as inflammatory as it is preposterous… yet the geese must take Boson’s threat seriously

As per your instructions, I have been circulating your scathing critique of Count Nottington surreptitiously, ensuring it is discovered by those most keen on gossip while keeping its author anonymous. I suspect word will reach even the gosling duke soon at this point, and considering the count’s overbearing approach to governing during the regency I have no doubt there will be consequences for him. If I may, I would add that your mastery of the Geeselic language has surpassed even my own if this critique is anything to judge by; beyond mere structural cohesiveness, your prose has acquired outright eloquence. I almost wish I could tell the geese here who wrote Nottington’s detraction, if only to see their faces when they learned it was not even a goose! But your instructions were clear in this regard, so I shall only take personal pride in having tutored such an excellent student.

156. Multilingual and Malicious.png

Promptly putting new skills to good use

I am sure that once news of Duke Arne’s demise reaches you I shall receive new instructions regarding your next campaign of terror against the new duke. As I have mentioned in my past couple letters, I strongly encourage you to instead divert your attentions to Count Nottington, whom I consider of disreputable character even regardless of your condemnation. With Drake on the throne, Nottington has become the successor, and between the two of them it is Nottington who is both more capable of harming our fair isles and more inclined to do so. Drake fears you. Nottington despises you. I freely confess to having a soft spot for the little duke—he was a most gracious host throughout my tenure in his court—but I do not think I am wrong in my assertions even when examining the situation objectively.

Regardless, I am and shall remain your humble servant.

Faithfully,

Adrien

Boson rolled the letter back up carefully, pleased yet again by its contents. He had no immediate designs on Asarcornisen, especially since he did not know how long his present mission would take, but a claim on Austisland was nothing to scoff at. He had already decided he would use Adrien’s connections to the new Duke Drake to weasel the diplomat into the court at Hvamm, an opportunity which had been firmly denied to him under Duke Arne’s rule. And though he would frame it as a reluctant favor to Adrien, he was inclined to agree with the chancellor’s assessment of the state of affairs: his new target for antagonism would be the regent Count Nottington.

Boson next selected the most serious letter in the mix: a report from Spymaster Charles down in the Khottigidian Empire.

13th of February in the Year 775 of the Millennium of Flame

Chief Boson,

I have sent this missive with all haste and hope it finds you in good health as swiftly as possible. The peasants have taken up arms under a fellow named Gobburi in Beauffremonten. Their goal is a county in the kingdom, which would put them at odds with Maharaja Julien. However, they delivered their declaration to the Samrat himself, with provocations hinting at a broader revolution under way throughout the empire. This insinuation, coupled with their proximity to the capital (the county they seek is just across the channel from Rhos), will undoubtedly force the Samrat’s hand in bringing the full might of the empire down on these upstarts.

157. Dubliner Peasant Revolt.png

There is nothing subtle about open rebellion… is there?

By all accounts Gobburi is a quiet, temperate individual who worked as a farmer prior to this sudden turn to rabble-rousing. How did such a man become a proud, self-righteous revolutionary that has even the Samrat’s attention? He would say “oppression”, I suspect, but only because he has been carefully, skillfully deluded into actually believing it. Unless I am much mistaken, the true source of this unrest is none other than Harihara, of the new Hariharid dynasty, and by extension, Maharaja Ereyanga of the Ereyangidian Kingdom.

Permit me to elaborate.

Samrat Marasimha is fifteen in body and mind thanks to Children’s Pox. He is the last of his peers to reach adulthood, the youngest of a group of teenagers that have all the power of the empire in their hands. Marasimha has proven himself shrewd and just, which is fortunate considering he most certainly must be. His power base is so precarious that even the slightest flaw or misstep could be all the opportunity the others need to oust him, and he remains all but a prisoner in his court in Caernarfon. Though he resides at the heart of his own empire, Marasimha could not be more isolated.

158. Three Kings; Surrounded Samrat.png

The state of the empire

The Three Kings, as the peasants are wont to call them, are the real decision-makers at present. In the north, Costanzo Ardu (with whom we are unfortunately well-acquainted) rules over Arduen. He is cunning, but not in conversation. Numbers are his forte, and finances are a weapon he employs better than most can wield an actual sword. Still, since his beloved numbers do not lie, in my experience he tends to be too forthcoming with his thoughts and expects those around him to behave similarly. They most certainly do not.

159. Three Kings; Arduen.png

Costanzo Ardu, the king in the north

To the west is Julien de Beauffremont, a proud, flamboyant individual with predilections most consider distasteful. Word has spread of the scandalous garb and behavior this Maharaja favors, and his detractors snidely refer to him as the Maharani de Beauffremonten. If he is perturbed by such talk, Julien does not show it. In fact, he seems rather heedless of goings-on outside of his own domain. Beyond any other personal quirks, I believe it is this lack of ambition that best explains why this revolt has popped up within his borders: dressing in dresses is one thing, but refusing to assist Ereyanga in siphoning power away from the Samrat is something else entirely.

160. Three Kings; Beauffremonten.png

Julien, the king in the west, charts his own course through life

Speaking of Ereyanga, for a frail, easily-embarrassed young man with poor personal hygiene there is no more formidable a threat to the Samrat’s throne in the entire empire. Prior to Children’s Pox I am told Ereyanga overcame his excruciating awkwardness with the help of his wife, but she is long dead and no-one alive seems to be able to provide similar assistance. Indeed, since his second coming of age he has married a brilliant wit with all the grace and poise a king could ask for in a queen, which had the unfortunate effect of making him appear all the worse by comparison. Anyone who meets him in person comes away uncomfortable. Yet despite all that, Ereyanga is diligent and dedicated in everything he does, and for now, what he does is seize ever more power.

161. Three Kings; Ereyangidian.png

The troublemaker Ereyanga, king of the east

Ereyanga has found the perfect partner for his agitation in Harihara. Once a no-name peasant, you may recall from my past reports how the Council of Kernevites wrangled him into the regency after Samrat Khottiga’s death. In retrospect I have to wonder if he somehow pulled the wool over their eyes, for instead of a meek and obedient servant the School’s efforts gave power to one of the most dangerously underhanded individuals I have ever interacted with. There is no reading the man; one can never tell what he is thinking and thus can never predict what he will do next. And that is if he even allows himself to be seen.

162. Khottigidian Empire; Regent Harihara.png

The lowborn spider at the center of the web

From regent Harihara swiftly became the head of the Samrat’s secret intelligence network. At first it seems he was loyal to the crown: you may recall he oversaw the subjugation of Central Zakhoia, an easy war he used to brilliantly distract the Three Kings and string the Council of Kernevites along to disrupt their efforts to instigate legal reforms. However, at some point after this conflict it seems Harihara decided Ereyanga would be more useful to him than Marasimha: his policy subtly shifted towards appeasing Ereyanga’s insatiable demands rather than bolstering the Samrat. Even I did not recognize the shift at the time as anything more than necessary sacrifices, believing as everyone else did that Ereyanga was simply too powerful for the regent to ignore. But Harihara had the backing of Aughagower and the support of the Samrat’s council – had he sought to impede Ereyanga’s rise he had every means to do so. Curious then that in almost no time after his second coming-of-age ceremony Ereyanga was named Champion of the Khottigidian Empire and then Chancellor of the Realm.

The following events compound their private alliance in my eyes. The Raja of Lophonettaistan was burned at the stake in November of 773, his raj promptly being inherited by Maharaja Ereyanga. To solidify his hold on the territory, Ereyanga demanded a bride, and not just any bride but the lady Chinnambike (whom the Samrat himself had favored for her aforementioned charms). I was informed Marasimha was tired of concessions and would refuse, which made sense to me. However, by the end of the year Ereyanga had claimed Chinnambike’s hand and she was gone from the capital.

What did Harihara have to do with all this? Well, firstly I cannot conceive of an alternative explanation for why the Raja of Lophonettaistan should be burned alive other than Harihara wielding his influence with the Council of Kernevites to make it so. Furthermore, that Ereyanga should inherit the Raj had no precedence; Marasimha (under Harihara’s advisement, no doubt) gifted the Raj to Ereyanga of his own volition. And lastly, coinciding with Maharaja Ereyanga securing his marriage to the lady Chinnambike was the Samrat granting Harihara the Outlawan Raj, formally raising the peasant into the nobility with a full duchy of his own. The premise for this rise in station was “long and excellent service” – clearly whatever bargain Harihara brokered between Marasimha and Ereyanga was a true masterstroke of diplomacy, for all parties left happy despite only Ereyanga and Harihara coming away with apparent gains.

The final evidence of their long-standing private alliance is the case of the regency. Citing his new responsibilities as a Raja, Harihara humbly stepped down from his position as regent. Who did he persuade the Samrat to appoint as his replacement? None other than Maharaja Ereyanga. I believe by this point Marasimha had come to the same conclusion I have, for he promptly accepted Harihara’s resignation and transferred his vassalage over to Ereyanga. However, this move might also have been part of Harihara’s own machinations, for no sooner was he beholden to Ereyanga than the Maharaja named him Champion of the Ereyangidian Kingdom and, a few months later, his personal Grand Marshal. Moreover, tied to Ereyanga’s power base Harihara is shielded somewhat from direct retribution by the Samrat. Every step of the way the new Raja and the young Maharaja have benefitted, and together they wield immense influence throughout the empire. Now they are openly aligned by bonds of proper vassalage, and the events that led them there unfolded in such a way as to make their alliance not only perfectly acceptable but also appear natural, honorable, and entirely innocent.

163. The Outlawan Raj.png

Harihara Hariharid’s new domain, transferred into the Ereyangidian Kingdom

So, with all that being understood, we can finally turn to Gobburi and his uprising. The Samrat comes of age again upon his birthday in 776, and Ereyanga will abruptly lose his powers as regent that very day. I assume he sought the allegiance of his fellow Maharajas to prevent that eventuality, but while Costanzo Ardu may have been amenable Julien clearly was not. Without their support for legally extending the regency indefinitely, it seems probable to me that Ereyanga instead seeks war-time measures to invoke martial law. But for that, there must be a war, and not just any war but one that involves the Samrat himself. Enter Harihara, whose new Raj just so happens to border Beauffremonten across the channel. He made a public trip right across Maharaja Julien’s domains to pay homage to the Council of Kernevites in Aughagower, taking his sweet time as he journeyed both there and back again. Is it a coincidence that in the wake of this expedition a rebellion has sprung up out of nowhere? Perhaps, but I strongly believe otherwise. It is all just a little too convenient, right down to Gobburi issuing his challenge to the Samrat and thereby setting up precisely the situation Ereyanga required to enact emergency measures.

Raja Harihara of the newly-founded Hariharid dynasty is, in my opinion, the most dangerous man in the Khottigidian Empire. From nothing he has secured a Raj and founded a dynasty, and whomever he favors at a given time profits immeasurably for it. Amidst a group of boy-kings with nigh-unlimited power to do as they please, Harihara herds the lot of them like a quiet shepherd none of the sheep really realize is there. Harihara has a history of setting up easily-winnable wars as distractions: he did it for Marasimha with Central Zakhoia, and I believe he has done it now for Ereyanga with this peasant revolt. Perhaps you can see where I am going with this line of thought: if Harihara continues to direct the empire’s war machine behind the scenes and favors comparatively small targets, it is inevitable that one day his eye will fall on our own isles…

I await instructions. For now, the empire is headed for turmoil, which may well keep Færeyar far from its mind. However, as long as Raja Harihara pulls the strings I fear it is only a matter of time until our tribe finds itself under imperial scrutiny. I will watch and listen and alert you with all haste should that eventuality occur. If I may, I strongly advise tightening our bonds to the School of Kernev, for if anyone can protect us it is the Council of Kernevites. Establishing a relationship with the Samrat might further insulate us, assuming he survives his regency – perhaps it is time Adrien depart from that frozen island of infidel geese and put his inexplicable knack for making friends to use alongside me in the empire. And finally, if you desire, I could make inquiries about eliminating Harihara altogether, though I should warn you that such a move would take a significant investment of time and funds since I seriously doubt I could even get close to the man as things presently stand. Moreover, should he catch wind of my efforts it would certainly bring Færeyar to the forefront of his mind, and I have already elaborated on why that would be dangerous for our tribe.

Whatever your decision, I shall see it done.

For Færeyar,

Charles

Boson rolled the letter up again, tapping it against his chin as he mulled over the contents. His spymaster’s overzealous advice to align with Aughagower was laughable, and abandoning his schemes in Asarcornisen for the sake of “establishing a relationship with the Samrat” was equally preposterous. Did not Charles’ own observations reveal how tenuous Marasimha’s position truly was? Better to ally with this Raja Harihara directly if he wanted to cast his lot with someone in the empire. But no; while an invasion from the Khottigids remained a primary concern, for the moment avoiding any interaction that could draw attention seemed the best way to defend Færeyar. Another missive the messenger had brought him came from his steward Arnoul, informing him the Wall and Ditch defenses had been completed in February this year. Quietly constructing ever greater fortifications while the empire feuded internally was Boson’s present plan of action, and even as he continued to direct this raid he had begun working on more plans to that effect.

Boson sighed and put the letters from his chancellor and spymaster back in the satchel, finally turning his gaze on the third correspondence. With a flutter in his stomach he opened it and read the words again.

My dear Boson,

I was pleased to receive your correspondence. I promptly directed your previous letter straight to your good steward Arnoul, as I am sure he was the intended target considering the complete lack of any warmth or friendly inquiry into my wellbeing. It is thus so kind of you to have finally written me now, more than a year later. I am well, as is my husband, and the tribe endures. When might we expect your return? You have been gone a long time; surely you have found something worthwhile by this point. I am eager to cease my vigil for your blasted ravens, which shall not end until the one bearing news of your imminent homecoming arrives. May it take flight soon and return on swift wings: we all miss our men.

With fond remembrances of our friendship,

Jeanne de l’Aigle

164. Writing Jeanne de l'Aigle.png

That went about as well as could be expected…

Boson tapped the barbed spike that had replaced his lost hand against the table, at once peeved and proud. His first missive had been brief and direct, informing Jeanne of the fleet’s new heading and how the expected profits would benefit Færeyar. Getting no response from her with that approach, Boson had changed tack with his second letter. In this one he had again been brief (there was limited space on a piece of parchment intended for a raven to carry, after all), but he made sure to fit in a final line: “I hope you and the rest of the tribe are doing well. I look forward to your reply.” This addition seemed to have had the intended result, though her response was a touch more acerbic than he felt was warranted.

He let the spike hit the table a final time, harder than the previous taps. A duchy of rabid infidel geese to the north, an empire looming from the south, legions of continental zealots hunting him here in the east, and malicious Færie ancestors awaiting him back home, yet the thing that most preoccupied his thoughts was Jeanne de l’Aigle and her biting sarcasm. What could she have meant by “we all miss our men”? Her husband Louis and her son Antoine were both there with her, so did that mean she missed him too? Or was he reading too much into it, hoping for meaning that wasn’t there? Was she simply referring to her brother Guillaume and nephew Evrard? There were so many more pressing concerns demanding Boson’s attention, yet upon reading this letter none of them could override his private musings on Jeanne’s response. And why on earth did the parchment smell like her?

“Fæ’s Blood!” Boson swore, sweeping the letter off his table. “If you were here, I’d throttle you!”

After a moment of glowering he picked the letter back up and folded it carefully, inhaling its faded scent of lavender. Then he tucked the document back in the satchel and started pacing. He had included that line about looking forward to her reply to provoke a response from her. It wasn’t supposed to have been true!

775 Interlude: Heed the Voices
775 Interlude

“Hmph,” Groogy grumbled, eyeing his bowl of soup. It could hardly be called soup: primarily lukewarm water, there were a few scraps of onion, leek, carrot, and potato floating in the mix. A pinch of stolen salt (for which he had been thoroughly scolded by the cooks) and a lump of bread brought the whole sorry affair together.

Seclusion with the courtiers had sounded like a good idea. He’d been looking for a wife for a while now, and having the most eligible her-dgehogs cooped up in the same spot with him seemed like a foolproof plan for nailing down a match. He would be safe from whatever disease was ravaging Mecca at present (he could not be bothered to learn what the peasants were dying from this time around) and had a captive audience for his romantic overtures: what could go wrong?

165. Groogy.png

Mecca’s most eligible bachelor

The reality proved far from idyllic. With everyone locked up in close proximity, gossip proved the most popular method of passing time. And hadn’t Groogy once had wild ideas about abusing his powers as regent to set up what he called a socialist republic in Mecca? Yes, that was so. His service as regent secured him a spot in the safety of the closed-off court, but his actions from that time made these walls anything but safe for him. Those that did not snicker at him behind his back laughed openly in his face.

Narrow-minded, that’s what they all were.

Groogy scooped some “soup” on his spoon and let the contents slip back into the bowl. He bet that pompous needlenethers Mesyo wasn’t eating lukewarm vegetable-water stew. That insufferable pincushion was a gossip, no better, but everyone thought he was so special since he “accidentally” let it slip he was Count Grumpy’s official Master of Secrets. Now his cover as Assistant Clerk to the chaplain was totally blown and Mesyo sat around all day doing nothing because nobody dared tell him off. And all of his meals were served timely and hot, Groogy wagered.

“He can sit on my spines!” Groogy grouched, rising to his feet. He crossed to the stone fireplace opposite from where he had been sitting and stoked the dying embers. He wasn’t really supposed to be in the kitchens, especially since food was being rationed, but Groogy didn’t trust the cooks not to cough or snort in the food and so insisted on supervising when his meals were being made. Offended, the cooks had thrown together this “soup” and stalked out in a huff. He would show them, however: Groogy would turn this slop into a fine stew they would all be jealous of.

As Groogy poked at the cooking fire there was a sudden roar and a great gout of flame burst up in the fireplace. Groogy yelped and fell over backwards, spilling his vegetable-water stew across the floor. Instinctively he curled into a ball, his spikes angled towards the fireplace as he peeked over his shoulder. The fire raged, spewing out of the fireplace to lick at the floor, the walls, and the ceiling. But what really caught Groogy’s attention, much to his disbelief, was the figure standing within the fire.

A cat exited the blaze, her shoulders slumped and features haggard. Her paws sported fresh burns, the fur roasted away to expose blackened, fleshy appendages that made Groogy’s stomach churn at the sight of them. Shockingly, the rest of the feline was unburnt, and as she staggered from the fireplace the inferno around her retreated. When she stood fully in the kitchen, the stone floors inexplicably cracking beneath her feet, the fire died out completely leaving only singes on the ceiling to indicate it had ever risen up so riotously at all.

166. Elder Witch.png

A familiar feline…

“Bring me that chair,” the cat hissed, her voice quiet and raspy yet brooking no disobedience. Groogy stared at her. She stared back, unblinking. After a moment, Groogy fetched the chair.

“Who are you?” Groogy demanded as he pushed the chair towards her. “How did you get here?”

The cat brushed his questions off with a wave of her charred paw. “Where am I now?”

“Mecca,” Groogy informed her. Then he drew himself up. “And here in Mecca, you can’t just burst out of folks’ fireplaces without some kind of explanation! There’s a plague! How do we know you aren’t sick, eh? You’ll have to come with me to the physician.”

The cat ignored him.

“Are you there?” she asked in her ragged whisper. She slumped into the chair and waved her paws (which, Groogy noticed, stank horribly of burning fur and flesh). Her voice had an ethereal quality to it this time, as though it were layered several times over itself. The spines on his back rose in alarm.

“I’m right here,” Groogy managed to respond, though with her back to him he felt no shame in inching away from her. If he could just put the table between the two of them, or better yet, reach the door…

“It’s me,” the cat continued, waving her paws again. Her voice—voices?—made Groogy’s body tense involuntarily. Reaching back he found the table and started sliding his hand along it to find the end. He had grabbed the table just in time, it turned out, because what happened next would have floored him had he not had the table’s support.

“Manxssss” the wind sighed, sevenfold voices clawing their way through the kitchen. They sounded as though they came from right behind Groogy, yet at the same time from such a distance they should not have been intelligible. Groogy wished he could tear his ears off at the sound; all of the voices grated at the inside of his skull and filled him with such uncontrollable fear his bladder nearly emptied itself. Abandoning all pretense of dignity Groogy crawled under the table and curled into a protective ball again, paws desperately clamped over his ears against the whispering wind.

“I’m here,” the cat responded, barely audible.

“It’ssss been a while,” the voices mocked. “We thought you were done with us.”

“So did I,” the cat replied ruefully. “So I hoped…”

“It doessssn’t matter,” the voices sneered. “Why have you called for ussss?”

“I am pursued. Everywhere I go, the hunters follow. I do not know how, but they are tracking me. One in particular has nearly caught me, more than once,” the cat explained. “Zaeem. He serves on the Council of the Wise in Dootony, where the elephant Duke Hanno reigns. He is relentless. The north is no longer safe.”

“Duke Hanno the Frail?” the voices snickered. Their mirth nauseated Groogy; it was so cruel and malignant he could not believe there was any actual joy in it. “His council is wise, but we have sssstripped him of his wits. He came close to uncovering thingssss before, thingssss he was never meant to know. You did well, unleashing our power when you did. It’ssss almosssst like we intended thingssss to work out that way.”

167. Duke Hanno 'the Frail'.png

Once wise beyond his years, now frail and feeble-minded; Duke Hanno lost much to Children’s Pox

“All happens according to your will. You need not remind me,” the cat said. She paused, waiting for the voices to speak again, but when they did not she suddenly blurted, “But Duke Hanno is not the only Hanno on my heels. The lowborn nobody he raised to Count of Westrobothnia has a Council of Rogues working alongside the duke’s mightiest intellects. Hasdrubal Nine-Palms and Zain of Bygdeå are among them. Combined, the two councils are formidable adversaries.”

168. Count Hanno.png

Count Hanno, on the other hand, has only benefitted from the affliction

“Formidable for you, perhapssss,” scoffed the voices. Groogy felt so small and worthless at the sound of their condescension he could not imagine what the cat, the actual target of their derision, must have experienced. Yet she remained sitting upright, hunched but steadfast, her stinking, roasted paws gripping the seat of her chair like her life depended on it. Perhaps it did.

“They have rallied the entire Hermetic Society against me!” the cat screeched. “With Magus Ludwing of Husån’s help they armed the society with trinkets to track me, and the hunt spreads wherever those wretched tinkerers operate!”

169. Baron Ludwing.png

Armed with the silver needles of Hasdrubal Nine-Palms, Baron Ludwing and his Hermetic brethren have never stopped seeking the true culprit behind Children’s Pox

“Baron Ludwing hasssss a family. Remove them, and he will be broken,” the voices instructed coldly. Groogy noticed one of the voices screamed in agony, another in rage, another in fear, and a fourth in shrill, insane laughter. Had he been more inclined to listen, he might have picked up on the remaining three. However, Groogy instead pressed his paws all the tighter against his head in a futile effort to keep the voices out.

“It wouldn’t matter! It has already spread throughout the society! They hunt the true culprit behind Children’s Pox as though the World Tree itself is feeding them guidance!” the cat was extremely agitated now, gesticulating wildly as she got up to pace. The stones cracked like glass wherever she tread.

“It might be doing just that,” the voices suggested ominously. “You should chop it down.”

“Do you know what’s happened to those that were even suspected of causing the plague?” the cat shrieked.

“Of course we do!” the voices thundered, howling into the kitchen with a gale of wind.

“Queen Blizzard of Ursusrike vomited and writhed for hours in the middle of a religious gathering. The Threebeardolic faith places such great importance on touch, yet not one person there deigned to comfort the little queen with so much as a pat on the back. She died clutching her gut as everyone around her watched and gave thanks for her divine punishment!” screamed one voice. Groogy recognized this voice as screaming in despair, and in its despair he too lost hope.

170. Queen Blizzard.png

Sentence Commuted

“Queen Wiggles of Hylomysistan faced a massive uprising. With her guardian Commander Mesyo by her side, she authorized and oversaw the massacre of nine settlements. A single witness from each was left alive to tell the tale. She threatened to continue unless the dissident army stood down, but when they surrendered, she slaughtered the entire force down to the last quaking rebel. Word has spread throughout Hylomysistan that Queen Wiggles will reign uncontested until her dying day,” screamed the voice of wrath. Groogy felt raw, unadulterated fury well up within him, and in a moment of passionate rage he lashed out with his spikes to pepper the underside of the table with gouges.

171. Queen Wiggles.png

Vindicated via violence

“Countess Booper of Sortavala was ousted from power by Emperor Moussa of the Divine Karachevian Empire, who declared holy war against her for her ‘crime’. Her guardian Gaj barely managed to get her out of the capital, then barely got her out of the country, and now they hide in Rashtrakutaland. Their lives hang on the whims of foreigners, and yet there is nowhere else for them to go,” screamed the voice of fear. Groogy panicked at the sound, curling into such a tight ball his muscles ached. He had never been so terrified in his life.

172. Landless Booper.png

Exile is better than execution, at least

“Khanum Kajsa of Malta has disappeared,” screamed a voice of lustful ecstasy. “But we know… mmmmmm… we know where her body lies. Violated, raped, abused, discarded. How long her rival had waited for his chance. A famed duelist, ruthless with the blade; she was untouchable before. But once she was a child again, well…”

“And Chief Boson of Færeyar has been broken to our will, whether he realizes it or not,” screamed the voice of agony. Groogy, feeling uncontrollably aroused after the last voice’s speech, suddenly yelped as his joints flared with excruciating pain. “He will do our bidding, no matter the personal cost to himself. Or we will take from him, piece by piece, until his suffering is absolute.”

“Justice upon the sinners!” howled a voice of triumph. However, rather than swell with a pride and zeal to match the tone, Groogy was so repulsed by the evil, insatiable gloating underlying the voice that instead its triumph lead him back into despair.

“Groogy was not so repulsed by our triumph that he despaired, he despaired that our triumph was not yet complete,” the voice of insanity cackled to no-one in particular. “And I am not speaking to no-one. You are listening, after all. With your eyes.”

“Those are the fates of the ones who did nothing! Think what my fate shall be, as the true culprit!” Manx yowled. “I did as you wanted! Please, return the favor! Slay my enemies, or at the very least grant me refuge!”

“You will help her, won’t you, Groogy?” the Seven Screaming Voices whispered in Groogy’s ears. “You will keep her safe here. She can help you, you know. She can remove that nasty Mesyo, who takes so much undue credit. Your soups will never be cold with the Elder Witch at your side.”

Groogy felt his mind snapping under the pressure of their grating, scrabbling, clawing, ripping suggestions. In that moment he knew if he did not give them what they wanted they would breach his sanity and use him like a puppet regardless. He did not care about Mesyo, or soup, or anything more than his own self-preservation when he abruptly skittered out from under the table and announced: “I will help you, Elder Witch! I will keep you safe.”

The pressure in his skull disappeared and Groogy nearly fainted in relief. The Elder Witch sagged in her seat, shuddering. As the unlikely pair recovered, a gentle breeze slipped through the kitchen carrying upon it the faintest tinkle of dreadful, loathsome laughter. The two animals stiffened, eyes wide. But there was nothing more to hear; in the wake of the haunting wind silence reigned supreme.

Whew! Not too sure how I feel about this new forum format... probably just takes some getting used to.

Anyways, please let me know your thoughts on the chapters above!

Just for fun, here is how the perverse Duke Tej is doing in 775. His wife is a lowborn goosegirl named Jemima - his ex-regent Cornelius must be having fits. Furthermore, it seems his taste for the featherheads has infected his northern neighbor Duke Hanno the Frail as well! :eek: Duke Tej is a deviant menace that must be stopped!

Duke Tej of Ivoryland.png

At least he's not as bad as these guys though. Here is Toulouse and the Seers, the Elder Witch's loyal lackeys. It seems they have also been busy, but more in a sneaky sort of way! The Seers appear to have supplied Toulouse a claim on Koshma - Chief Ninja better watch his back!

Toulouse.png

Elder Eskil.png

Thanks for reading! I'll see you all in a couple weeks! :)

Either the Faeries who revealed themselves to Boson are some...thing... else entirely, or they have grand plans against the Shattered Religion. They do seem like they have been bearing a grudge for a while.

So the reactions to the Children's Pox and the search for the culprit have not yet ceased. The wise men of the frozen north seem to be strong adversaries. Boson's raiding the wrong side of the mountains for the Voices.

And his remaining councillors are proving surprisingly capable. He may dismiss Charles' advice, but he provides good insight. And Adrien surely surprises him with his efficiency. Then again, one of his councillors is probably causing trouble back home along with some other factions. He's certainly in for a surprise.

An expedition after some mysterious artifact perhaps?
A war for part of Asarcornisen would certainly be an interesting one. Boson should make sure that he can get a firm beachhead on those treacherous coasts. And if he wins, one hopes that the Dootdi will not reform their coalition to retake a cherished holy site.
Harihara seems like a very interesting fellow. I wonder what he will get up to in the future. After all, a raja is never enough.
I am also a big fan of Jeanne's sarcasm. I hope to see more of it.
Oho! Interesting revelations about the voices! It seems that Manx got more than what she bargained for and unleashed something terrible and intelligent upon the world.

All in all another excellent chapter! I'm looking forward to future developments.