Game stuck on "Prepping for combat" when I try to use my custom character [SOLVED]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Immanuel552

Recruit
33 Badges
Sep 29, 2020
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Long story short, I edit some of the game files and add some files to create a new custom pilot. I have successfully made the character and they are in the game with all the custom portrait, skills bio, names, etc. To achieve this, I've modified the MetaDataBase.db to add the pilot and the tags in the "pilotdef", "tagset", "TagSetTag", and the name tag in "Tag". I've also added the pilot and the portrait paths in VersionManifest.

However, when I try to bring the pilot into combat, it got stuck in the "prepping for combat" loading screen indefinitely. I know that the custom character is the one causing it because when I use other characters it loads just fine... please help to make this work.

What platform do you play the game on? Steam
Operating System Windows > Windows 10
Steps to recreate error pick custom character in battle roster > Lunch combat > indefinite prepping for combat

P.S can anyone tell me how to attach json, db, csv files?

test

nope doesn't work

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    38,8 KB · Views: 0
Jump complete. Welcome to the modding forum. :)

Check the output_log.txt file. It should have an error near the bottom of the log saying exactly what file it was looking for and couldn't find. I haven't messed with pilot mods, but I would guess that it is missing the portrait?

To attach a file there is an Attach Files option to the bottom left of the post entry field.

Jump complete. Welcome to the modding forum. :)
I didn't realize this place has such a thing as an interstellar jump! XD
jokes aside I may or may not made another post with the same name and contents at the time where I realized that modding forum exists

Check the output_log.txt file. It should have an error near the bottom of the log saying exactly what file it was looking for and couldn't find. I haven't messed with pilot mods, but I would guess that it is missing the portrait?
Where do I find this "output_log.txt"? because when I use the search function on my battletech folder it says no results...

And no, the portrait is there, in the barracks the portrait and everything is fine. The first time adding stuff the portrait turns white when I save and load but this was solved by adding the pilotdef and sprite into VersionManifest found in the bottom of "StreamingAssets". Then this is where the problem came, when I tried to play a battle (didn't play any battle before I edited the VersionManifest) it goes into an Infinite "prepping for combat" with just the custom pilot.

To attach a file there is an Attach Files option to the bottom left of the post entry field.
yea but when I try to attach a json or any programming files it won't read it

but csv apparently works, but apparently my problem lies on the fact that I haven't posted enough since I just started posting not long ago (by not long ago I mean 1 day this is my first ever thread XD)

The output_log should be in C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
I don't know all of the links required for custom pilots. Probably need to have the portrait listed in the versionManifest as well, if you don't have it in there already. I am just guessing. I've only dabbled in modding weapons and mechs.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The output_log should be in C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
hmm I see I'll go take a look
I don't know all of the links required for custom pilots. Probably need to have the portrait listed in the versionManifest as well, if you don't have it in there already. I am just guessing. I've only dabbled in modding weapons and mechs.
yea you do need it in the version manifest for it to not become white when you save and load

so, checking the logs I found out that there's a problem with the VO...

2021-04-23T16:36:07 ErrorLog.Pilot [ERROR] PlayPilotSelectionVO for pilot_Fafnir had an invalid pilotVoice string: vo_f_pro07
2021-04-23T16:36:10 ErrorLog.Pilot [ERROR] PlayPilotSelectionVO for pilot_Fafnir had an invalid pilotVoice string: vo_f_pro07
2021-04-23T16:36:11 ErrorLog.Pilot [ERROR] PlayPilotSelectionVO for pilot_Fafnir had an invalid pilotVoice string: vo_f_pro07

changing it to something else doesn't fix it.
I also found another line but I don't know if it's relevant or not

Values:
playthrough_id: non_campaign_instance_c5b45ec2-f14d-4fcd-88e7-deee0727f374
ingame_day: 0
mechwarrior_id: Fafnir

so... how do I fix these? I'll also attach the log. Do note that I'm using the BTA mod... when using a mod you don't need to add anything to the "VersionManifest" you just need to create the json and sprite or so I was told

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    520,9 KB · Views: 0