Future of updates. How will it work? Will it follow the PC version or be it's own entirely?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Davor

Colonel
47 Badges
Mar 16, 2001
Visit site
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
Since we are under the assumption that updates on the console will follow the same way as the PC. Is this how the updates are going to be? Is 1.7 the starting point and any updates after that will just be say 1.8 console edition or would it be 1.8 PC edition? So numbering will be different from the PC versions.

While I don't like some of the new 2.0 mechanics mainly the star lanes only, I just want to make sure so I can expect it when 2.0 eventually comes. Hopefully this way we will not get lots of upset people. Or is 2.0 going to be different than the PC version? and it will just grow differently than how Stellaris grew on PC?

We might try and skip a few versions, will have to see how that affects the schedule.

Thank you very much for the response. It is greatly appreciated. Just so I know the console version will follow in the PC version? While not step for step, but will be what the PC version is like?

Thank you very much for the response. It is greatly appreciated. Just so I know the console version will follow in the PC version? While not step for step, but will be what the PC version is like?
The developers told in an interview they try to catch up with the PC version over time, but have to solve multiple technical challenges. For example the multiplayer will not be included in the release version, but will be added with a free patch soon after the release.

Source:

The developers told in an interview they try to catch up with the PC version over time, but have to solve multiple technical challenges. For example the multiplayer will not be included in the release version, but will be added with a free patch soon after the release.

Source:

I saw that video you posted. Thank you very much for that. That is why I asked. Since multiplayer is not in the game and they want to "catch up" I wasn't sure if they want to "catch up" number wise or be almost like it's PC brethren. It is already a little different so I was wondering if the console version would be growing as it's own instead of an almost clone.

Is someone holding you at gunpoint, forcing you to use the latest updates? Do you need me to call the cops for you? I'm ready to help.

At least Paradox has given us the OPTION to choose what version we can play. Other games update automatically and yes we are held at gunpoint to play the latest version. So you either play the way it is or you don't play. On Xbox (I don't know about PS) games automatically update.

So I don't think Stellaris will be able to be "reverted" back to a previous edition on console like the PC can. Please keep that in mind.

Hopefully they'll skip 2.0 so that the console version can remain the superior version.
They literally can't skip 2.0 without just not developing the game further at all.

Yeah, they can. Just skip to 3.0 with cool new stuff but without any of the crappy 2.0 stuff. Simple.

I am afraid that is a quite very short-sight view on software development.

Trying to skip over years of work (1.XX toward to 2.2) straight away and at the same time translate it into the console version of Stellaris is asking for trouble. At least I would move a few version make sure nothing breaks and then move the next one etc...

I would image there would likely be some very large substantive changes in the code to accommodate the FTL/On-creation Galaxy background stuff. If I was a betting man, which I am not, I would wage that one of the steps would be the 2.0 patch.

Last edited:
I am afraid that is a quite very short-sight view on software development.

Trying to skip over years of work (1.XX toward to 2.2) straight away and at the same time translate it into the console version of Stellaris is asking for trouble. At least I would move a few version make sure nothing breaks and then move the next one etc...

I would image there would likely be some very large substantive changes in the code to accommodate the FTL/On-creation Galaxy background stuff. If I was a betting man, which I am not, I would wage that one of the steps would be the 2.0 patch.
They wouldn't need to translate anything into the console version since they'd be skipping it. And if it was years of bad work (which it was) then it absolutely should be skipped!

They wouldn't need to translate anything into the console version since they'd be skipping it. And if it was years of bad work (which it was) then it absolutely should be skipped!

I hope you are joking at this point...

By doing a port of 1.15 version first they did part of the groundwork necessary to translate all further patch into the console versions.

Trying skip over 2 or 3 patches is not a trivial task of itself. If you took a look over how many bug fix exist on each patch between 1.15 and the upcoming 2.2 patch. Only then you could try to begin appreciate the enormous amount of work for the console porting team. Nevermind the all feature changes that gone into Stellaris since 1.15 patch.

I hope you are joking at this point...

By doing a port of 1.15 version first they did part of the groundwork necessary to translate all further patch into the console versions.

Trying skip over 2 or 3 patches is not a trivial task of itself. If you took a look over how many bug fix exist on each patch between 1.15 and the upcoming 2.2 patch. Only then you could try to begin appreciate the enormous amount of work for the console porting team. Nevermind the all feature changes that gone into Stellaris since 1.15 patch.
I'm not joking at all. As far as I'm concerned 2.0 is garbage that ruined the game, so I don't want it added to the console version, ever. Hence I want them to just skip that crap and make updates that are actually good for the console version instead.

I'm not joking at all. As far as I'm concerned 2.0 is garbage that ruined the game, so I don't want it added to the console version, ever. Hence I want them to just skip that crap and make updates that are actually good for the console version instead.

Even if you didn't like a particular version, the console team still have to deal with the difference in code between 1.19 and 1.20 and 1.21 then 1.22 etc... Skipping over those differences would likely break more than a few thing.

Yeah, they can. Just skip to 3.0 with cool new stuff but without any of the crappy 2.0 stuff. Simple.
Except it's not that simple. Might as well say that you can build a jet engine without knowing how to make fire. Shit ain't happening.

Yeah... that's not the way this works. You can say that all you like, and be wrong, but no. The devs are not going to skip over an integral part of the game just to appease your short-minded desires to play an objectively inferior version.

And yes, 2.0 is objectively better, because it doesn't have the insane balance issues, and shitty control system.

Except it's not that simple. Might as well say that you can build a jet engine without knowing how to make fire. Shit ain't happening.

Yeah... that's not the way this works. You can say that all you like, and be wrong, but no. The devs are not going to skip over an integral part of the game just to appease your short-minded desires to play an objectively inferior version.

And yes, 2.0 is objectively better, because it doesn't have the insane balance issues, and shitty control system.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Eng...TF8&qid=1537880509&sr=8-1&keywords=dictionary
Buy one of those and learn what objective means. It doesn't mean what you think it does.

Anyway, we're done here. If you want to play your SUBJECTIVELY worse game, have fun. But I won't be wasting my time on the trash that Stellaris has become since FTL types got removed.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Eng...TF8&qid=1537880509&sr=8-1&keywords=dictionary
Buy one of those and learn what objective means. It doesn't mean what you think it does.

Anyway, we're done here. If you want to play your SUBJECTIVELY worse game, have fun. But I won't be wasting my time on the trash that Stellaris has become since FTL types got removed.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I hurt your feelings. I already explained why it is objectively better. You not liking it does not mean it isn't better.