• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 3: The Enemy
Chapter 3: The enemy
18th December in the year of their "lord" 869
"Chief." Liudas looked at me with anger but he kept it under control. He had to otherwise I would crush him beneath my axe. "Recently the tribe of Kurland ceased to exist. Wild men from the north came, plundered their lands, took their wifes and they have not gone. They are now directly at our border."
"To whom owe they their allegiance?" Wow, I am surprised my complicated sentence. Well I should not be. Of course I am so educated.
"They are vikings of Björn Ironside."
"Björn Ironside... A son of Lodbrok?"
"Exactly. The bards now sing how they avenged their fathers death. Their rivals are punished through a ritual that they call the "blood eagle". Even you would say that it is cruel", he says with a shivering undertone.
The blood eagle. I know this one. Liudas is right there.
"This norsemen are dangerous. How can we drive them out of our romuvan land?"
"Honestly, I do not know too. But I plea for your help, chief!", Liudas now kneels before me.

upload_2018-11-16_16-3-30.jpeg

upload_2018-11-16_16-4-44.jpeg

Chief Giemund who is also well-informed about the matter joins us. "It is even worse", he says.
"From the river Daugava into the bay of Riga our merchants sailed to island of Osilia to trade with the tribesmen there but now they were blocked off. The island now is under the control of King Rurik of Holmsgardr."
"Well, but they are not so close as Björn of Svipjod", I speak out my thought.
"The problem, chief, is that the kings of Svipjod and Holmsgardr are bound together through marriages. They have good relations to each other and they may form an alliance to encircle us."
"This is not good", I gulp. Can my legend be over before it ever began?

upload_2018-11-16_16-13-21.jpeg

"My chief, actually we still have chances" Giemund takes a long breath before he continues. "King Haraldr "Fairhair" of Vikken has an interest in keeping Holmgardr out and Svipjod down."Yet he does not have any children to whom we could betroth one of your offsprings."

upload_2018-11-16_16-16-58.jpeg

"The other optio would be... Do you want to her it? It is for the sake of securing a way to survive for Lietuva."
"Come on, tell it"
"High Chief Yelisey of Polotsk is a direct neighbour of Holmsgardr. We also would stay inside our regional reach which would make it easier to use the alliance for other purposes."
"Polotsk...", I growl. "Well, I guess sometimes a compromise has to be made."
"Very well tought, my chief", Giemund applauses.

upload_2018-11-16_16-21-33.jpeg

Breksta's age is similar to the age of the heir of Smolensk. If i would betroth her to the heir of Smolensk she will soon be away from Lietuva. I think she might see it as a gift. When she does not have to see me each day. I go to her chamber. Her face immediately skews when I enter.
"I have good news for you."
"OUT!"
"You will one day marry the heir of Polotsk: Svetovid Yeliseyovich."
"You call this good news!?"
"I thought, you would be glad to be away from me."
"I do not want to spend my life with a stranger. Even if I still have five years until then!"
"But..."
"NO!"
"You will have to! Or do you want that your people will get slaughtered when the Chief of mighty Polotsk may be angered then and decides to take revenge on us if you decline. You must obey!"
"I do not want YOU as my FATHER!"
"Very well. As long as you marry Svetovid when you have grown up."
She takes up a pointed wooden bough and throws it at me. I hide behind the door just in time. My own daughter... She really wants me dead. I walk away disappointed but in the knowledge that Lietuva will live on.

upload_2018-11-16_16-24-4.jpeg

19th July in the year of their "lord" 870
I have gathered some troops to make a raid on the Zemgallians but we are not enough to storm their walls. Unfortunately I must give up the task that was given to me by the Band of Medeina.
Our troops still hunger for money and so I send them to raid the province of Deltuva, weakening our once-relatives even more.

1st August, in the year of their "lord" 870
Bad luck seem to have befallen me. On the way to Deltuva I started coughing. First I thought it was minor but now it seems that my lung wants to burst out of me. I leave my troops in the hands of Visvaldis, while I return to my hall in Vilnius, willing to get treatment by Elder Azuolas.

upload_2018-11-16_16-40-8.jpeg

When I arrive at the hall I feel worse. Elder Azuolas comes fast to me. I do not recognize much of the "diganoseis" or whatever he calls it but his conclusion is really frightening.
Cancer.
A single word, mightier than even Perkunas, more dreaded than the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok. The enemy from within. Azuolas starts to treat me. Can not think...

upload_2018-11-16_16-45-17.jpeg

Azuolas orders me to come into a small room in his house. The room is unusual because it has only three corners and not a single window. On each corner he lits a candle and I was in the middle. He wants me to sit in some "crossing-point". Then he comes to me and he took my hands. I just want to sleep for the coughing all the time made me tired but he holds me awake with a slap of his hands. He then takes my hands again.

Silence.

Then he starts speaking in a strange language. Maybe nordic? I really cannot filter out any known words, I just hear the sound. Praising yet full of awareness. Like a litany but more diverse. After some verses he says: "Repeat my words."
I really cannot remember what he said but somehow the unknown verses come out of my mouth. My mind is fully engaged. Then I finish and he begins to speak in the unknown language again.

The hours pass by.

The candles are slowly burning down and they heat the room. I sweat but Azuolas does not let me out. I could not even get out because he let his scolar lock it from the outside. We still sit there and neither I nor he have made a mistake in this language. The sound fills the room. Echoes repeating themselves go from one side to another and weave a web of words around us. I believe, I can see the words. They are wonderfully written. It is perfect. Even the serifs seem to be carefully placed at the point where they belong to. This is the sublime beauty that mankind never is able to reach or not?

Are we still counting hours or have days passed? I do not know. Thoughts, time, everything is meaningless. Words. Words. Words. Words. The room. Room. Hands. Azuolas. Candles. Words. Words. Words.

W...O...R...D...S...

Then the door opens. Both me and Azuolas get unconscious when the fresh air streams in.

6th August, in the year of their "lord" 870

upload_2018-11-16_16-50-49.jpeg

I cannot believe it. Azuolas' treatment worked out very well. I feel... clean from the inside. I still have not fully recovered but when I cough I do it less violently and I do not feel these cracks in me. I also have found out that Azuolas and I were in this chamber for five days. Five days being awake... it is no surprise that we had to rest then.

6th September, in the year of their "lord" 870
I still stay at Vilnius for Azuolas does not let me go, and he is right. Borkus, who has become lazy, visits me at my bed.
"Father, are you going to die?" Children can be so honest.
"No, not today."
"Have you then fighted this illness?"
"Like a brave warrior always does. Bravery is very important not only there but also on the battlefield or when other children try to take something away from you."
"I want to be brave then!", Borkus decides. He means it serious.
"This is good my son", I murmur and I pat his head until I sleep.

upload_2018-11-16_17-15-37.jpeg

14th September, in the year of their "lord" 870
Since this day Borkus comes very often to me to ask for my guidance. At last one child loves me too, as I love them. When he is not there, I listen to the tales that the bards tell me. One with greek origin began to sing of Alexander the Great, a great conqueror. I cannot get enough of this and so I forced the bard to tell me the whole story. This is gonna take some time but I simply adore Alexander and I must consume everything he did.

upload_2018-11-16_17-20-57.jpeg

On the very same day Azuolas comes to me, with no sign of joy on his face.
"You really have cancer" His face says this without any vocal coming out of his mouth.
"I cannot heal you, only slower your decline", he offers me. I can see it. He pities me. Not the feared Vikings, not the fierce believers of the dead god, not even a tribesman from here will end my legend but cancer will.
I nod. Then I stare at him and he stares back.

upload_2018-11-16_17-26-19.jpeg

Then he breaks the silence. "Chief, I have some methods to handle this. One is very risky, the other one would be what I mentioned before or we could see if it is just a false alarm."
It seems that I am preaching water but drinking wine. I clearly do not have enough courage to ask for the risky method but the normal one.

upload_2018-11-16_17-29-4.jpeg

26th September, in the year of their "lord" 870
I really do not know from where Azuolas takes his crazy ideas. Today he came with a goat into my chambers and I had to smell the farts of the goat. Another treatment that worked. This man is a crazy genius.

upload_2018-11-16_17-33-50.jpeg

15th October in the year of their "lord" 870
I do not have much control over my realm since death hath clenched his fists around my throat. My vassalls like their new autonomy but it led to problems. I got news that marshal Galindas and Liudas first bragged about how great they were (how pointless, since I am the greatest in my realm, even if I am down) and then they fought each other. Now they are bitter rivals.

upload_2018-11-16_17-36-30.jpeg

25th April to 2nd June, in the year of their "lord" 871
The cancer really bound a lot of my attention and I forget about my daughter Zvorune. She became a woman, fast with the fist but as craven as their mother so she prefers to stay in the shadows. For Lietuva is weakened when I am bound to the bed I use my her to create bonds to Pronsk, another kingdom in the lands of the Rus, ot in Ruriks reach yet, but it is always good to have connections, right?

upload_2018-11-16_17-45-53.jpeg

While I was searching for a husband for my daughter I got an invitation by chief Giemund. I may have become weak but I never say no to a feast.

upload_2018-11-16_17-47-38.jpeg

20th July, in the year of their "lord" 871
A weaponsmith heard of my fame and he settled in Vilnius.

upload_2018-11-16_17-49-30.jpeg

21st September, in the year of their "lord" 871
I arrive at Giemunds hall and I see the meat being stapled upon more meat and I just talk of my dish! Of course they also offer beer.

upload_2018-11-16_17-53-16.jpeg

8th October in the year of their "lord" 871
"Look!"

"Haha!"
"You see how easy it is to hit them?", I laugh.
"Yes. Another bottle of beer?"
"Of course."
Giemund fills my bottle and when he gives it back to me he loses the balance and the beer is spilled all over both of us. We laugh together.
"Friends?", I ask him.
"Friends!"

upload_2018-11-16_17-58-50.jpeg

15th October, in the year of their "lord" 871
My still very autonomous men have plundered the viking-invasors and they returned. My commander Visvaldis is first shocked when he sees my current condition but then he hands me an axe.

"This is what we have found in the treasures of the vikings."
I look closer on the axe. A purple +2 is etched into it. I inspect the axe, test how it feels to swing it around and I like this axe. "My old axe now shall belong to you, Visvaldis", I thank him.
"I am grateful, chief", he says and then he turns away.

upload_2018-11-16_18-3-57.jpeg

upload_2018-11-16_18-5-24.jpeg

22nd October, in the year of their "lord" 871
The carousing is over for now. It was a nice distraction from my cancer and I even made a friend. The first real friend in my life. I am sad that the carousing is over. So sad.

upload_2018-11-16_18-7-44.jpeg

14th January, in the year of their "lord" 872
Today I feel like I lost. No, noone died but I put so much effort into the raising of Borkus. I taught him how to be brave but like me he got betrayed by his body. He has become frail and because some people laugh at him when they see him he hides away. I feel tired.

upload_2018-11-16_18-11-36.jpeg

I have not accomplished much in the last years for I were too focused on the cancer and my family. This is not right, why are my efforts nothing worth but waste? I should better concentrate on expanding Lietuva, even if it means death, should I? Be or not be? This question is important.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-16_16-16-42.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-16_16-16-42.jpeg
    770,2 KB · Views: 14
Quite sad really, making a friend just as his life is likely to come to a close.

At least he will have a friend and a son to help him through this last sad time. Perhaps one more conquest before the curtain falls, to confirm the legend?

Chapter 4: A change of mind
Chapter 4: A change of mind
"The Polotskians attack the Latgallians, father!"
I do not listen to what Borkus says. I am still thinking and no unwanted doubt shall disturb me.
"Father, we should attack. Now they are weak and if we hit them fast, then we can seize them before the Polotskians!"
"..."
"..."
"Right, son. One last time I will stand on the field. An 2300 army of frail, will it be enough to match the 900 Latgallians that seem to repel the invaders from Polotsk?"
"But father! What if you would pass the on? I may not fight on the field but your teaching was very good. I can tell you the best strategy for fighting near the Daugava. I know what you can do with a rusty needle and a fruit. Please father!"
"The troops have no respect of you. In the last years you hided way too much. There are speculations if you belong to a bad cult and such things."
"Do you remember when you taught me how to be brave?"
"I do."
"I will be brave."
"Then better be brave. Disobey my wish. Convince my troops that they follow you from now on."
"I will try this."
"Hey, you can't!"
"I am weak but right now you are weaker. Sit down and do the best for your health."
"HEY!"
Now Borkus is the one who does not listen. I think he already made me proud and if he is gonna accomplish what he is doing then I will be even prouder. The legend will be passed on.

I must show my father that I am still worthy. I have to do this, even if it is a big step. To view into the eyes of men that did not see you since years and therefore despise you secretly. On half of the way to the battleground of the warriors I am short in breath. Have to wait some seconds. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10.
Now I am fit. When I arrive at the battleground a warrior looks amused of me.
"Hah, boy. You wanna watch us?"
I gather all my courage to speak to this muscular giant who could easily break my bones.
"I am Borkus, heir of the chiefdom of Lietuva. I await that you gather your men because now we go to war."
"Listen boy, you are funny. Everybody knows that Borkus is a dwarf with mutations in his face who never leaves his hall."
"I am Borkus!", I say.
"I don't believe you."
His strong arms carry me away from the battleground and I can do nothing. Argh, they still treat me like a child. Do they not care for what is in the mind? Since when is your body the only thing that counts?
I try it again, from another side. This time I speak to a warrior who has a more mediocre stature and also a friendly face.
"I am Borkus, heir to the chiefdom of Lietuva! Gather your men for we go to war!"
The former friendly face of the soldier now has another look. I would call it insidious.
"Very well. Go into the mid of the ground and raise your hands. Then the soldiers will recognize you."
"Thanks."
I do like he said but suddenly a wave of laughter comes over me. Then the warriors stomp rythmically. In what situation have I gotten myself? Now I see it. I am in a situation where a weakling has pleaded for a fight against the "Chosen of Perkunas". I thought it was only a legend but the world revealed a new secret to me. Too bad that I won't live any longer. The Chosen of Perkunas has a height of two metres and one or two heads on top of this and his arms are like my whole width. He also has a very big necklace with a lot of fruits hanging on it. He takes a fruit and after he ate it his eyes have some fire within them. The legend says that the Chosen of Perkunas is fueled by Perkunas strength but the mortal cannot bear it and therefore become really mad.
"Die Borkus!" The friendly soldier to whom I spoke now uncovers his real self.
I have no time to react on him because the Chosen of Perkunas is a very serious issue. He is stronger than any normal man. And I cannot even fight a normal man. But flight is no plan because the warriors are like a wall that stops me from doing this. The only plan I have is...
"CHARRRRGE!" The Chosen of Perkunas is coming at me and I swear, I can see how his teeth are pointed and how he will bite me apart with them. The shock is paralyzing me. My mind thinks that I am going to die. Cannot think because I have to much fear before death. Think!
What was the plan?
The plan was to...
...The plan was to make the Chosen of Perkunas weary. I will just run around in circles. Then I can move myself again, just in the right moment. As my mind comes back to reality I can see how the fists of the Chosen are going to smash me in this very moment but my plan gives me something like optimism and I pull my head out of this danger. Then I progress in my plan.
"AAAAAAAHHHHH!" I am running circles around the Chosen. The warriors get angry at me but they are not allowed to kill me right now. If I would be killed then the Chosen of Perkunas would do it.
The first round already makes my heart pounding like a hammer but I still live and I want to live on so I do not sit down to rest. My feet are killing me but in this case I kill them. I run and my superior tactical understanding which the Chosen does not have lets me dodge his attacks. Only to fail in the end. My mind wants to run until the Chosen dies because of fatigue but my body cannot do it any longer.

I fall into the mud and I am to wearied to rise up. At last I do not feel any pain. Every part of my body is numb. Except my fingers. They are moving around and I do not tell them to. Then my fingers grab something. A needle. It feels rusty.
"I know what you can do with a rusty needle and a fruit."

I hold the needly in my hands and on the necklace of the Chosen I see some remaining fruits. This may be very dumb but...
With my last power I jump at the Chosen and I manage to grab a fruit away from his necklace and I pull the needle into the fruit. The rust from the needle will "poison" the fruit. If I just could throw the fruit into his mouth...
"Oh."
I literally did what I thought. I threw the fruit into his mouth. Very well, then I just have to hold out a little bit longer until he dies from a sepsis. But for now I just made him angry. Anyway, the fruit and the needle, they will work. I just have to give them time. This newfound hope mobilizes my feet and we run circles again.
The only problem is that this time I do not have strength I had before. This exhausting fight against the Chosen has got a heavy tribute from me. I tried so hard but this time my body really cannot afford it any longer. I break down.
My eyes get some terrifying last glimpses. I see how the Chosen comes. I see how he does not kill me right now but is torturing me. He enjoys it. He goes around and lifts me to show that he won. Then he puts me down. I know what now comes. He is planning to sacrifice me for Perkunas.
His eyes have a scary look. They are frightening. His arms drag me into a position where the Chosen can spill my blood most effectfully. In this moment his arms do not seem to be that strong. Maybe the Chosen was just a frail boy before he became this?
Wait. Do I sympathize with my enemy? I spit into his face right into his eyes. He gets unconscious. The needle and the fruit saved me in the last second but I do not feel joy. I am just tired. I hear so much noises around me but I do not care. I sleep.

I cannot believe that Borkus defeated the Chosen of Perkunas. There may still be hope for him. This victory has turned the soldiers into his favor. They would fight Chernobog for him. He also inspired me. The Latgallians are here to be subjugated.

upload_2018-11-19_10-51-40.jpeg

When I come back from this war I also have a surprise for Borkus. Little hint: This victory does not only increase his popularity under the soldiers. The daughter of Liudas could even out his behaviour. She is already very gregarious at an age of 13. I betroth her to my son Borkus. I am sure they will love each other.

upload_2018-11-19_10-57-47.jpeg

2nd March, in the year of their "lord" 872
The vikings do not seem to be vikings anymore. Svipjod converted to the faith of the dead god. They call it catholic. I call it suspicious. Are the followers of the dead god now the ones who try to encircle us? This makes me angry. Why can't they just leave me alone? I guess, I will find out in the prison...

upload_2018-11-19_11-1-25.jpeg

17th March, in the year of their "lord" 872
Visvaldis does not seem to be so competent than I thought. Anyway, good so. Leaves more space for me to shine.

upload_2018-11-19_11-3-50.jpeg

4th July, in the year of their "lord" 872
It is easier than I thought. Borkus was right. We swarmed over the Lettgallians and while they were busy with defending against Polotsk, I and my men took some land of them and it will become more. The warm summer makes the sieges tolerable. No sitting in mud but eating the corn directly from the blade.

upload_2018-11-19_11-4-44.jpeg

1st October, in the year of their "lord" 872
It is a bad day. Today I found out why my son does not like to be in the public. My cancer seems to develop, mishandle me even more and inviting his diseases-friends like Leper. Leper. Another word that just strikes fear in the hearts of people. Not as deadly as cancer but cruel in another way. My mood has regained optimism since the Latgallians are utterly defeated but now I feel defeated. I can fight mortal enemies but against those who invade your body from the inside and make you empty and fill this emptiness with nothing but sorrow, I must resign.

upload_2018-11-19_11-15-7.jpeg

upload_2018-11-19_11-16-9.jpeg

7th October, in the year of their "lord" 872
All hope is gone. Even Azuolas who did a good job at defying my cancer now gives up.

upload_2018-11-19_11-21-22.jpeg

16th March, in the year of their "lord" 873
Nothing but the stories of Alexander the Great is now mine. Everyone immediately turns away when they see me. I am talking a lot to myself now and I taught me a great lection about the art of war. If I could still write I would write a book but if your fingers are no fingers anymore this is pretty hard.

upload_2018-11-19_11-26-36.jpeg

9th August, in the year of their "lord" 873
I think I am broken. The things that interested me once are now vanished. I think I will never hold a spear-throwing competition. No one would like to be near me. I understand them. Now that my physical strength is faltering I have much time to shift my mind away from cruelty to wisdom. I think this would be more appropriate than still hanging on to this war-business.

upload_2018-11-19_11-32-53.jpeg

upload_2018-11-19_11-33-59.jpeg

Maybe...

upload_2018-11-19_11-35-17.jpeg

(I unfortunately pressed away the death-screen, so I have to show it to you this way)

Well he had a good run, but he couldn't outrun the diseases at the end. Leprosy on top of Cancer seems like overkill I must say.

Well he had a good run, but he couldn't outrun the diseases at the end. Leprosy on top of Cancer seems like overkill I must say.

Yeah - that is a pretty grim way to meet one's maker...

Beaten by no enemy on the battlefield but by the enemy within. Long live Borkus. So Weill find out if he really is the member of an evil society!

Too many diseases prevented poor Palemon from finishing his dream - time for Borkus to shine! He may have to fight differently on the battlefield though :p.

Palemon held out for some time though he is someone with cancer in the 9th century. I think without the leprosy he may have lived a bit longer.

Yeah - that is a pretty grim way to meet one's maker...

I better do not imagine the pain that Palemon had.

Beaten by no enemy on the battlefield but by the enemy within. Long live Borkus. So Weill find out if he really is the member of an evil society!

Even with Cancer and Leprosy Palemon still had a positive fighting-score of 5. What would have became of him if he would have been healthy till his end? Would he have had the chance to level up in the ranks of the Band of Medeina?

Too many diseases prevented poor Palemon from finishing his dream - time for Borkus to shine! He may have to fight differently on the battlefield though :p.

Borkus is more like a spider in the background but his problem his, he does not really have experience with this because his father taught him different. His fate is similar to that of a philosopher who has to do the hard work in a mine. His body is his prison, so it is up to his mind what Borkus will be known for in the future.

Chapter 5: The non-physical Commander
Chapter 5: The non-physical Commander
I was told by Elder Azuolas shortly after. For he heard the last wish of my father he gave me his vote too. My victory against the Chosen of Perkunas convinced the other elders to vote for me and suddenly I was elevated into the rank of the High Chieftain of Lietuva. Hard to believe. Not long ago the people thought bad about me but now they seem to support me.

Still, there was the funeral of my father. Nobody except me, the shaman and chief Giemund appeared. Giemund was a close friend of my father but not of mine. The bad rumours about me seem to keep him off. I talked some words to him but I could not make it clear that I am no cultist. Damn, sometimes it is so hard to speak to people.

When I think about the future I have a clear plan. I want to proceed where my father was interrupted. I may not fight, I may not make him be loved by everyone but I can fulfill his dream. It is the last service I can offer to him.

upload_2018-11-30_14-52-29.jpeg

upload_2018-11-30_14-54-35.jpeg

Maybe I can defy my bad reputation through especially caring for our gods. A sacrifice it is not but how about "protection". The Yatvingians live in the south of us and they are weaker than any polish kingdom. They should be incorporated by us. Lietuva can defend the holy site of Sejny better than them.

upload_2018-11-30_14-58-20.jpeg

5th October 873, in the year of their "lord" 873
I do not fight but wait for my troops. They are the frontline against the enemy. We are more than them but they have to hold till reinforcements arrive, otherwise we have a problem. I trust my soldiers as they trust in me since my own fight.

upload_2018-11-30_15-3-0.jpeg

(oops, forgot to disable leading armies, for Borkus. Anyway, now I did)

26th October, in the year of their "lord" 873
I visited the battleground and I recognized that I can still give commands. I just have to sit in my tent with a great oversight of the battlefield and this gives me strategical advance. I clearly see the big whole, how our troops should move, but I can also see small details. Here! My warriors have slain an enemy commander! Maybe it is good that I am not down there. It is clearly good to have a plan with the possibility of overseeing all consequences. It is not possible in a battle but here it is.

upload_2018-11-30_15-9-56.jpeg

20th November, in the year of their "lord" 873
Here is it. The all-deciding battle has been won. My understanding of supplies renewed the fighting spirit of my warriors all day and their sharp blades did the rest. Intelligence with muscles!

upload_2018-11-30_15-11-35.jpeg

3rd May, in the year of their "lord" 874
Will it work again? I think so. When we have overtaken them once, when we are making progress in occupying their land, then we can do it easily. Intelligence with muscles!

upload_2018-11-30_15-14-32.jpeg

31st May, in the year of their "lord" 874
The last time we killed an enemy this time we just improson him. It is only an Elder who thought he could replay the days of his youth. How foolish. In this age you have all right to idle around and do nothing. Some months in my prison could clear his mind. Of course we now march to the object of our desire. The holy shrine of Sejny.

upload_2018-11-30_15-16-36.jpeg

11th July, in the year of their "lord" 874
"We are too late", Visvaldis told. He told the obvious. We just began the war in time. The Mazovians are up to a complete devastation of one of the holiest places in our faith. We clearly must protect our brethren.
"Let us finish the war fast. If we capture Sudovia then we could make a favorable peace with the Yatvingians."

upload_2018-11-30_15-24-2.jpeg

22nd November, in the year of their "lord" 874

"Today is united what should be united. Today we put our weapons aside to live together in harmony under one faith, one crown." My words are clearly perfect formulated.
"Wanna play? Then I do whatever ya wantin'", the child chieftain surprises me.
Was the war unnecessary? I just have to play with a child and I get its domain incorporated?
"Uhm... sure."

upload_2018-11-30_15-26-19.jpeg

Inofficially the people already talk of me as the king of Lithuva. Through the unification of Yatvingia and Lietuva I saved Sejny from the heathens. But of course a king needs a crown and unfortunately I do not have enough money. I could surely make a crown of iron but I want more. Lietuva is not poor! It just has to wait a little.

upload_2018-11-30_15-34-31.jpeg

15th Januar, in the year of their "lord" 875
Today is a great day. I get to marry the daughter of Chief Liudas. This marriage should ensure that he does not fall into my back when he could. To be honest, it just happens because I must. It is part of the legacy of my father. But it is still a great day isn't it?

upload_2018-11-30_15-40-18.jpeg

upload_2018-11-30_15-40-53.jpeg

2nd February, in the year of their "lord" 875
Sides have changed. Now Giemund is the one who pleas for attention for he is the one with bad rumours about him. At least it is, what I think, when I read his invitation to a feast. But I am not resentful and so I accept.

upload_2018-11-30_15-44-23.jpeg

26th May, in the year of their "lord" 875
I must say that Giemunds hall is quite a cozy place. I understand why my father liked visiting Giemund.

upload_2018-11-30_16-39-3.jpeg

10th June, in the year of their "lord" 875
The bards and the beer and now the dices. This atmosphere is exhausting yet inspring.

upload_2018-11-30_16-39-44.jpeg

My mind is unmatched. We played for hours but each time I won. I wonder if I should play more often?

upload_2018-11-30_16-41-28.jpeg

As I do not have to do much, I would say yes. Games are fun!

upload_2018-11-30_16-42-54.jpeg

Aargh...
It hurts...
my stomach...
BLEARGH!

upload_2018-11-30_16-44-56.jpeg

Someone at Giemunds feast must have tried to poison me. He nearly succeeded but I spit out the entirety of my food and drinks and therefore I also got rid of the poison. But, who? Who was it? I fear the murderer might be nearer than I think.

Is it Giemund?
Is it my wife?
Is it her father Liudas?
Or someone else? Who is educated and could know of poisons? Azuolas?
I will try to find out...

upload_2018-11-30_16-46-0.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-30_16-36-44.jpeg
    upload_2018-11-30_16-36-44.jpeg
    750,8 KB · Views: 16
Very much cut down just before he could attain his aim.

I hope Borkus is able to uncover the foul plotter - and deal with them mercilessly! And now gold for a crown and an heir to wear it later are what he needs. Apart from a good food taster.

Poor Borkus. Managed to steal a child's title, but had no support at home. An elaborate trap from Giemund? In any case, we'll see if his successor has more luck and can find enough gold for his crown.

Very much cut down just before he could attain his aim.
Poor Borkus. Managed to steal a child's title, but had no support at home. An elaborate trap from Giemund? In any case, we'll see if his successor has more luck and can find enough gold for his crown.
But he survived the attempt, didn’t he? So it is an attempted murdered he is trying to now discover? Or did I misread the end of the chapter? :confused:

But he survived the attempt, didn’t he? So it is an attempted murdered he is trying to now discover? Or did I misread the end of the chapter? :confused:

Nah, nah, the murder was attempted. The only problem I have, is that I do not get CK II to run on my computer and I do not have an idea why. I guess I will have to find out, why CK II crashes now.

Nah, nah, the murder was attempted. The only problem I have, is that I do not get CK II to run on my computer and I do not have an idea why. I guess I will have to find out, why CK II crashes now.
Oh no! Perhaps a recent patch? Anyway, good luck with trying to fix it - I hope you can continue your AAR. :)