• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(436)

Sergeant
Nov 8, 2000
Visit site
I have been playing EU for about a week now and I have a few questions about the frequency of colonists.

(a) Is there an actual frequency and startdate for each country? If so what is it?

(b) If as France I conquer all of England except Anglia, why do they still get far more colonists than me? Surely I should be getting the colonists from the English provinces!

(c) If I send a colonist to a province with less than 5000 population I can convert it to my religion, but some provinces (noticeably the Netherlands) never drop below 5000 population. Is this a bug, intentional, or am I missing something?

I hope someone can answer my questions. Great game, even though I can't speak German, Paul.

I'm also interested in the frequency of colonists. Playing Poland I already occupied the territories of the German Order, Prussia and Western Pomerania. Still no colonists in sight...but I need them to convert my orthodox population to catholizism.

Catholic countries normally don't get any colonists. However, Spain, Portugal and France have something called 'colonial dynamism' which gives them a lot of settlers. The same goes for orthodox Russia.

Lutheran nations get 1 settler every year. Reformed protestants get 3. Shipyards (werft) give an extra settler, although you won't get more by building several shipyards.

So, the only ways Poland can get settlers are building a shipyard or reforming.

/Doomie

Is that true, Doomie? Concerning the advantages/disadvantages of different forms of religion the manual states something about 'zusätzliche Siedler' = additional colonists. So I always thought, that there´s also a 'base-rate' of colonists for countries depending on other parameters...

Hartmann

This is what you get colonist from presently.

Prerequisite: at least 1 coastal province.

State Religion:
- Catholic, Sunni= 0
- Protestant, Orthodox, Couterreformed = 1
- Shiite = 2
- Reformed = 3
Naval Shipyard = 1
Colonial Dynamism = 0-3
Random Events

/Greven

I got colonial dynamism playing Sweden, at some point in the 17th century. My question is: How does one get this? Random event? Skilled colonizing? Cheating madly?

Originally posted by Jinxed:
I got colonial dynamism playing Sweden, at some point in the 17th century. My question is: How does one get this? Random event? Skilled colonizing? Cheating madly?
What you refer to is a Random Event (See my last post).
But what is seperately called Colonial Dynamism is predefined and means that the country (Spain, Portugal, France) get colonists every year.

/Greven

Originally posted by Greven:

State Religion:
- Catholic, Sunni= 0
- Shiite = 2
- Reformed = 3
Naval Shipyard = 1
Colonial Dynamism = 0-3
Random Events

/Greven

What does those numbers mean? How many colonists you get per year?

dark_teuton:
that´s the numbers of colonists you get in a year.
example: a reformed nation with a shipyard will get 4 colonists.
national characteristics are implemented by the 'colonial dynamism',
e.g.: england: reformed, shipyard and colonial dynamism: 7 colonists a year.

Originally posted by Maximilian I:
dark_teuton:
that´s the numbers of colonists you get in a year.
example: a reformed nation with a shipyard will get 4 colonists.
national characteristics are implemented by the 'colonial dynamism',
e.g.: england: reformed, shipyard and colonial dynamism: 7 colonists a year.

Except that the maximum you get is 6 colonists per year.
If anyone feels they aren't getting enough colonists at the start of the game, in 1492 there is one province which already has a Werft (dockyard?)... Ragusa, which is held by Venice at the beginning of the game. Poor Venice, however, has to get lucky to find somewhere to send their colonists, and once they start they only get 1 per year.

What you refer to is a Random Event (See my last post).
But what is seperately called Colonial Dynamism is predefined and means that the country (Spain, Portugal, France) get colonists every year.

/Greven

Yes, but I get +1 settlers/year now (Colonial Dynamism +1). I know of the random event that gives +3 settlers once, but this is not it. I did not notice any +1/year event. Are you REALLY sure? :)

Originally posted by Jinxed:
Yes, but I get +1 settlers/year now (Colonial Dynamism +1). I know of the random event that gives +3 settlers once, but this is not it. I did not notice any +1/year event. Are you REALLY sure? :)

Such colonial dynamism is not an event per se, materialized by a pop up box or something.
For example, France get one colonist/year starting in 1560 (i think).
It's the french colonial dynamism. But you're not warned directly by a pop up box like the new settlers wave (+3 once) event.
As far as I understood your question :) (not sure)

------------------
Pierre
Retired EU Beta Tester

[This message has been edited by pierre (edited 14-11-2000).]

Originally posted by von Curow:
Except that the maximum you get is 6 colonists per year.

In fact no. You can only store 6 colonists. But you can receive more than 6 in a year. Just have to spend em up a bit faster. :)

/Greven

Originally posted by Dark_Teuton:
So if I build 15 shipyards then I get 15 colonists per year from them alone?

Nope, I was not very clear here. You get one colonist per year for your first naval shipyard. Second, third and so on does not give you any colonists.

/Greven

State Religion:
- Catholic, Sunni= 0
- Shiite = 2
- Reformed = 3
Naval Shipyard = 1
Colonial Dynamism = 0-3
Random Events

/Greven

I am currently playing a game as France. The year is 1600. France's state religion is protestant.

Looking at the numbers above, I'd expect to get 4 colonists (dynamism-1, protestant-3, no shipyards yet). However, all I got in the some 10 years of protestantism is 3/year.

I am not very happy about that, because the price (reduced taxes) is too high to ignore the less than expected number of colonists...

Thanks for any elaborations

/zwingli