• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Severance: Patience, patience. I have the difficulty cranked up, and I'm playing to the traits of an Emperor which I tend to decide at his ascension.

Emperor_krk: I've had no less than six "good minister" events, which allow me to get rid of 1% inflation, three "good years", which drop 2%, and two "deflations", which drops 2%. I have 5.5% inflation. If you factor in the events, I've totalled 21.5%. So, yeah. With manufactories and armies, I've minted a lot. Whenever I get an event that drops my inflation, I've minted just a bit more (most of that inflation there came from the original Abbasid war, where I minted 100% to get enough money to pay them off).

Duke of Wellington: I figure they just knew what was good for them. Either the Caliph, or the Emperor. And the Caliph is far more benevolent and tolerant than the Emperor is. Wait, that doesn't make any sense at all!

- - - - - -

To understand the growing intolerance and hostility in the Empire, one must first understand the sitatuation the Roman Empire found itself in. On one side, they faced the Abbasid Caliphate, the mightiest Moslems power in existence. On the other, the Kingdom of Hungary was possibly the greatest Catholic kingdom, and looked greedily on Constantinople. When you consider that the Empire seemed assailed on every turn, Rome adopted a siege mentality. They faced overwhelming odds on either side, with Orthodoxy pathically tiny compared to the endless hordes of Catholics and Moslems. Thus, to protect themselves, they had to lash out at any attack, at any provocation, from anywhere. Despite their power, the Emperors in Rome still saw things in religious terms, greatly influenced by their Patriarchs.

2drxx77.png

The Empire had grown far beyond its previous boundaries with the incorporation of Jerusalem.

However, the Patriarchy of Constantinople was pushing for the Patriarch of Antioch not to be restored, for, without the Patriarch of Antioch, Constantinople remained absolute and supreme. Konstantinos, however, knew that reinstating the Patriarch of Antioch would gather widespread support in the former Kingdom of Jerusalem. Though it would reduce his power over religion directly, former Patriarchs had virtually taken control of Imperial policy through weak, or religious empires. Spreading that power out would enhance the role of a Patriarch as a solely religious one.

104ntab.png

It was some time before the Empire stirred again. Now a power the equal of the Caliphate, Catholic nations were uncompromisingly hostile to the Roman Empire.

There was only one Orthodox nation bordering the Empire, and that was Moldavia. So an alliance was concluded, an alliance Moldavia desperately needed. Unless it found an ally, the crusaders in the north would overwhelm them.

2rc3kwo.png

A year later, a campaign was launched, against Ragusa. The shipyards of Ragusa were of exceedingly high quality, and would allow the Empire more control of the seas. So the Ragusan campaign was launched, and, within thirty days, the Empire had taken Ragusa. Fearing repercussions if he annexed it outright, Emperor Konstantinos had it swear fealty to him as a vassal.

zx6zhe.png

A few years later, Croatia found itself momentarily without allies, and was likewise set upon by the Roman Empire. A three-month campaign saw it overwhelmed, and force to become a vassal of the Empire.

6iyw08.png

These minor, yet extremely successful campaigns, led the Kingdom of Hungary to declare war on the Empire.

This was a mistake.

The Empire was exhausted from a war with Sicily that had extended since the Ragusan campaign, and they were unable to overwhelm the Sicilian navy. Sicily had refused to make peace, and constantly landed on the Empire's lands, always being pushed off. However, three days before Hungary declared war, Sicily paid an indemnity of some three hundred thousand coins to the Empire. This easily paid for a new army, and the experienced Roman troops overwhelmed Hungary, forcing them to pay another indemnity, this time of four hundred thousand gold coins. The Emperor was not interested in aggressive land expansion. Rather, using the money of his enemies to pay for the development of the Roman Empire seemed fair, as opposed to incorporating Catholics and Moslems into the Empire. That sort of thing almost inevitably led to collapse.

Having learned their lesson, the Catholic powers strayed far from the Roman path, and the Abbasid Caliphate, facing constant warfare against the Il-Khanate, was unable to fight them. So, the Empire saw another decade of peace, followed up with the absorption of their Moldavian and Croatian vassals in 1487. (Note: I think I might quit posting pictures of the "annex" and "vassalize" messages. It's getting tiresome)

Another eight years of peace followed, and then, in 1495, the grandest legal reforms ever seen by the Empire took place. Ensuring that the common man could be tried in a court of law by his own peers and only one nobleman, new judges were appointed across the Empire. Naturally, such reforms were expensive, but the vast wealth of the Empire, from manufactories to the indemnities they had been paid, allowed them to reform all of Turkey and Outremer within a few years. Greek law was seen as "well enough" for the moment, although it too was reformed after revolts in Hellas.

It was into these reforms Ioannes VII took the throne, and his reign was as successful as his namesake's.

In 1499, the fourth year of his reign, his Bosnian vassals were absorbed into the Empire, leaving them with territory almost vast beyond imagining. Even the Caliphate trod warily where the Empire went, for their troops were the finest in the world, and, indeed, at this point, the most numerous. Over one hundred and ten thousand men served in the Roman Army, and, compared to the levies and feudal vassalage that brought other lands their men, they were expertly trained, and, although they were technologically inferior to every other army in the field, Ioannes decided it was time to reform. With vast wealth in the Empire, it would be a simple matter to catch up to his rivals, and perhaps even surpass them.

2ngc5xi.png

The Empire in 1499.

For five years, the Empire's production went into weaponry. New muskets, new tactics, the entire army was thrown into a frenzy as Ioannes desired a force that was the envy of a world in training and technology. And, with the vast resources at his disposal, it soon became so.

For those five years, he also carefully cultivated an alliance with the Cossack Hetmanate, and, in 1504, they agreed, like all Orthodox powers had, to pay tribute to the Empire. A minor Russian prince-state, Smolensk, was also brought into the alliance. Ioannes had a plan. A Mediterrannean state, though viable, lacked the stability and Orthodoxy of a northern one. Although Russia was a frozen wasteland, there was no denying that there were a lot of Orthodox Russians. As an intensely religious man, he spent his time attempting to bring Russia under his thumb.

Kiev likewise allied and vassalized themselves to the Empire. Formerly, the independence of most of these Russian states hung on a thread, but with the patronage of the Roman Empire, they were virtually ensured a future.

In 1505, a major revolt took place in Constantinople, in which the City was almost lost, and the entire Roman Army was required to quell the revolt. The revolt had been led in support of the Palaiologos, though no member of the family had overtly been seen there. It was enough for Ioannes, however.

20k53xc.png

Launching the fleet, he declared the Palaiologos holdings a rebel part of the Empire, and that he would subdue it. The Palaiologos had no real chance to resist. Though there was some popular support remaining, they had not ruled for over a century.

Revolts broke out in much of Greece, but they were easily quelled by the army, and the invasion begun.

Ioannes underestimated, however, the will of those who had once been Roman, even if they were no longer. In 1505, eight naval defeats were suffered, with little casualty taken by the tiny Kretan navy. Like Greece fighting Persia in the ancient past, Ioannes lost eighteen galleys, and was forced to invest almost half a million hyperpyron into the navy in order to be able to decisively defeat Krete. Despite this, though, Crete was a mountainous island, and the effort necessary to defeat it was never quite found.

Though the Roman army was fine, the Palaiologos one was just as fine, and, more importantly, could fend off the Romans at any landing point. Supplies were consistently low, and, in what is seen the largest blunder of the Empire, no less than sixty-five thousand men were lost in eighteen successive failed landings.

Even when, in early 1508, the defensive forces on the shores were finally defeat, the Palaiologos merely retreated into their fortresses, and constantly raided Roman supply lines. Fifty thousand men who had been landed on the island were a mere twenty-two thousand by the siege's end, most dead by disease or by the raiding Palaiologos forces. Overall, no less than ninety-three thousand soldiers, and almost three thousand sailors were lost in the war. This was more than any single war against the Abbasid Caliphate, and was condemned across the Empire.

Indeed, it earned Ioannes so many enemies, that, only six years later, he was assassinated, to let the incompetent and idiotic Dauid II take the throne.

In his reign, the minor Turkish sultantes were destroyed, and, despite his incompetencies as an Emperor, Dauid loved architecture. He commissioned a royal palace greater than any seen before, dominating Constantinople with its spires. Though not as large as the Basilica, it came close, a mere two feet shorter than St. Peter's Basilica.

Dauid II, though widely considered incompetent, had ministers of the highest caliber, who closeted him from the nation, leaving him to his palace. The prestige and the power of the Roman Empire was at a hundred-year high at this point, and, though many thought it could only increase, this would soon be revealed as untrue.

Last edited:
Force-vassalisation wouldn't be a good idea, as Krete is an island nation, unable to get diploannexed later. So I suppose Lordling annexed them outright.
A very good update. God damn it, your Emperors are so successful! DoW is right, reading about Roman Russia will be most entertaining... Though I think that in Interregnum it isn't so much of a strange thing... ;)

There are a lot of Russians. The manpower in those provinces will go a long way to mitigating your mapower disadvantage against the Caliphate and teching will do the same on the field of battle. You can't rely on luck all the time.

Naturally, a civil war cost more lives than battling the true enemy. Why won't the Empire ever learn?

Duke of Wellington: North is going to be almost impossible to take, as future campaigns will show. Mainly because there's one kingdom that's going to be bigger than me. And they're Catholics.

Olav: As Emperor_krk said, I annexed them. It was really more of a desire to make all Mediterrannean isles mine than anything else.

Emperor_krk: I'll be honest, it's the game. Interregnum Byzantium is infinitely easier than vanilla or AGCEEP Byzantium. You have the largest fleet in the Mediterranean, a good starting army, a capital with immense potential, a huge amount of cores, and Greek and Slavonic culture. Bringing the Empire back in AGCEEP on VH is something I've struggled with simply because you start off in such a vulnerable position, but, in Interregnum, your position is awesome. To be honest, I was hoping to have done better by now, but I've annexed all useful allies, and I'm surrounded by powerful enemies.

Chief Ragusa: That's what I'm hoping for. The problem is, Catholics are good at converting. Really good at converting. Once we hit 1600, there won't be many Orthodox Russians to liberate. Also, the war with Krete was insane. They had Tech 9 while I was still on Tech 8 early in the war, and so my morale advantage with quality was migitated. I almost gave up, but I managed to get to -38% warscore, and Krete wouldn't accept a peace that didn't involve me ceding half of Greece.

Don Matito: Bar the Turkish territory I've conquered, and small parts of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, everything I've taken has been Orthodox, so religiosity isn't a problem. I've converted most of the KoJ (The Patriarch event gives you Levantine as a state culture, so conversion was easy, ), and one province in Turkey.

- - - -

Twenty years after the annexation of Krete, Rome had suffered no wars, bar a few minor skirmishes with Hungary, but had lost no men in their wars, and had managed to bring peace about within months. The Empire flourished, and, in the north, Dauid II's ministers continued Ioannes's campaign to absorb the frozen north.

In 1528, the Cossack Hetmanate submitted, and, in 1529, the principality of Smolensk did, as well. Rulership of Orthodoxy was a conceivable goal, and, for the Patriarch of Constantinople, who served as Dauid's chief advisor, ensuring that all of the true faith were liberated from non-Orthodox rule was of the highest priority.

In 1530, however, one Logothetes rose to particular fame in the Empire. A remarkably talented diplomat, with few lands of his own, he became a trusted advisor of Dauid, challenging the authority the Patriarch had over him. Conspiring to move Logothetes away without dirtying his hands, the Patriarch convinced Dauid to send Logothetes to the unfriendly Caliphate, in order to 'negotiate an alliance'. An impossible undertaking, Logothetes could not return without success, but it seemed, likewise, he could not succeed.

His diplomatic brilliance, however, shone through. Negotiating the "Pact of the Churches" in January, through which an 'exchange' of sorts was given - any Muslim in the Empire could exchange his lands freely with any Orthodox man in the Caliphate, and the Empire and the Caliphate would help expedite the process. Although no mass exodus of Muslims or Orthodox Christians began, it meant that immigration between the two became much easier, and relations became eased.

In Febuary, he talked to the Caliph on religious matters - and on the heresy in the kingdom of Al-Andalus, and how, like the Orthodox Church had been betrayed by the Catholics, so was he betrayed by the Mutelazites. Though perhaps not an entirely accurate portrayal of the situation, the Caliph found many things in common with Logothetes, and made him a favoured advisor.

Logothetes then negotiated a third treaty.

"It is obvious, that, as we war against each other, we serve only to extinguish our faith. You are assailed by the barbaric Il-Khanate to the east, and we are constantly attacked by the Catholic heretics in the west. Should we war against each other merely due to differences of whom we believe is the final messenger of God, it will not matter which of us holds the light of truth, for it shall be utterly extinguished. However, should the mighty Caliphate and the grand Roman Empire stand together, shoulder to shoulder, there would be none who could cross us."

The Caliph embraced Logothetes as a brother after the speech, and offered his third daughter to be married to him, and for the Empire and Caliphate to conclude an alliance. As he had been sent off with the authority to conclude an alliance (an authority, admittedly, that had been given assuming it could not be used), the Abbasid Caliphate and Roman Empire formally entered an alliance in late July. The two greatest of enemies had found friendship, and, with Logothetes wheedling gifts to be sent to the Caliphate out of the Empire, soon relations were beautifully warm between the two.

In that year, the musket was fully developed, and the Empire had reached similiar levels of technological development as the other nations of the world.

A war began in 1531, as the Il-Khanate, believing the Roman Empire would stab the Caliphate in the back as soon as they attacked, launched an invasion of the Abbasid Caliphate. However, Logothetes waxed eloquent, describing the Caliphate as the "Moslem equivalent of the Empire, the light of civilization and culture in the Moslem world.", and asking Dauid II whether he would truly break his word.

Dauid reluctantly agreed to send twenty thousand men to the border, where they won six victories over the Il-Khanate, and, while the Caliphate was organizing their armies, protected Baghdad itself.

"The Roman Army? Quickly! To the walls, brothers, lest we are ravaged again!"
- Commander of the Baghdad garrison when the Roman Army drove off the Il-Khanate raiders.

The Il-Khanate was soundly defeated, and forced to pay three hundred thousand gold coins in indemnities. Though the Caliphate had hoped to win land, it was still the Roman Army that had captured provinces from the Khanate, and, not wanting worthless Persian land that would be impossible to administer, settled once more for money.

However, the Il-Khanate had an ally. The Golden Horde. The Horde had been in shambles at the time of war, and had not yet mustered an army to attack. Once the Il-Khanate was laid to rest, however, Rome swept north, taking Donetsk, Bogutjar, and Vorones. The Horde, once again on the verge of collapse, offered the three provinces to the Empire in hopes of winning a peace. Dauid, not realising how weak the Horde had become, agreed gleefully.

In September, 1532, the Empire had grown dramatically, once again.

24xi79w.png

Dauid then prosecuted a war against Sicily, which ended in late 1533, once again proving the superiority of Rome. What had once been a strong rival was forced to pay greatly, and Genoa was likewise defeated.

He died, leaving the throne untaken. Two claimants came, one a Palaiologos, the other a former advisor of the king, Alexios Kantakouzenos. The Palaiologos family, however, was no longer welcome in Constantinople, and, before they could muster a force from their depleted lands to try and seize the throne, Alexios was firmly ensonced.

2ldagoy.png

In 1550, Alexios prosecuted his first war, against Sicily, soundly defeating them, and forcing them to cede half of Siciliy proper, and all of southern Italy. Though a minor victory in that Sicily was weak at the time, and the taxes that could be collected from the Italians lands were negligible, the Roman Empire was now less than a month's marching distance from Rome itself.

dyt5pj.png

The Empire in June, 1555.

From Italy to Outremer, the Empire was the premier power in Europe, and also in Asia Minor. A strong alliance with the Abbasid Caliphate allowed them to ensure that no threat came from the east, and the sheer power of Rome allowed Alexios to extinguish any threat from the west.

A fantastic diplomat to be able to arrange an alliance like that. I'm interested to see it formed but am still curious as to how long it will last. Surely it cannot. Very nice to see you once again so close to holding Rome. I hope you can do it for expanding further north does look very difficult against that errr Kurland?

Duke of Wellington said:
A fantastic diplomat to be able to arrange an alliance like that. I'm interested to see it formed but am still curious as to how long it will last. Surely it cannot. Very nice to see you once again so close to holding Rome. I hope you can do it for expanding further north does look very difficult against that errr Kurland?

Yeah thats on hell of a Kurland! :eek:

Very well written lordling, kutgw. :)

The purple is not joined up. Surely, a diplomat of Alexios' prowess realises this is aesthetically displeasing. Sicily, Genoa, Italian Rome, a Seljuk province and three Horde provinces stand in the way of perfect cohesion.

You'll need the alliance to hold with the Caliphate , if you're planning on conquering Kurland. To hold a very, very long time.

Wonderful. Wow, that's great to see you allied to the Kaliphate. Will you try to use their power once (if?) a war against the Teutonic Order concludes?
A wise choice not to let the Palaiologos candidate take the throne, most certainly. They are traitors, and would lead you to much troubles, and perhaps even semi-dependancy from the Italians...

Well, I've played up to the late 1600s, and I must say, the game has been a massive success. However, I'm doing NaNoWriMo this month, and so will have very little time to spend on AARs. I might update, but it'll be sporadic at best, and non-existent at worst. However, after November, you can expect Rome to be back. In Russia, Italy, and South America.

ooooooooh an Interegnum player!

Good luck!

The Empire has undergone a very nice period of consolidation followed by further expansion.

I deleted every single Paradox game from my hard drive not just five minutes ago.

This afternoon, I counted up the minutes I used playing games from Paradox. Then I counted the minutes I used eating, spending with my friends, surfing the internet in general, and studying.

I think it is obvious to anyone that the first should never, ever exceed the second. It has recently begun to do so. Thus, consider this AAR discontinued. I deleted the pictures as well. I do believe the chances are low I can successfully manage Europa Universalis and, well life, without sabotaging the second one. I do enjoy the game, but I find myself drawn to it a little too much.

I have pre-emptively deleted (well, it is a bit beyond pre-empting now) every game from my HDD. I will be continuing the one narrative AAR I am running.

However, I will detail a rundown of what happens. The Empire successfully expands into Russia and Eastern Europe, becoming the largest and wealthiest nation in the world. It takes all of Italy, and begins widespread colonization, taking hold of much of North American (fifteen or so provinces on the continent), which are promptly lost to various independence movements, as Bavaria, the Teutons, and Burgundy all ally against the Empire.

After this, a grand revolution seizes the Empire, and the Republic of Hellas is founded after a brief civil war, Radicals seizing the capital to end the millenia-old Roman state. This Republic advances in technology at remarkable rates, quickly overtaking all rivals. It builds manufactories, and engages in no more hostile warfare, until such time the Republic of Free Provinces declares its independence from the old colonial powers. The Hellas Republic, with a few colonial provinces left, promptly allies with the new state, forcing huge swathes of land to be ceded to the RoFP.

With the best troops in the world, and an army four times the size of its nearest competitor (the Abbasid Caliphate), at a million men, the Hellas Republic continues unstopped into the Victorian Age as the premier power of the world. I imported the game to Victoria, at which point, with the huge amount of manufactories I had, the Industrial Revolution came easily, and the Hellas Republic remained the power in our times.

Using an exporter from there, I brought the Republic into World War Two, at which point it had IC comparable to the rest of the world combined. Twice over. I decided not to play anymore.

Good to hear of how the game ended.
Bad to hear, however, the way you had to describe it. It's a huge pity that another of your Roman AARs ends in dust unfinished - I liked both this and the older one very much.
I can fully understand the reasons for this - I hope that playing games didn't destroy your RL. And congratulations on realising how dangerous it is. I know quite a few people who can't - and they are a pifitul sight.

It's difficult to strike a balance between computer games and real-life concerns. I myself struggle with this often. Hopefully you'll feel rested after a deserved break and can return to writing/gaming at a more leisurely pace. I enjoyed your writing as you went and hope this isn't a permanent break. :)

:( Well, it was a very good run. I'm glad to see, at least, that this wasn't discontinued in the usual sense... we did get to learn what happened to this Empire, if not in as great of detail as we would have liked.

I hope that after a while, you can sort things out enough that you can merge gaming and real life properly. If things are getting out of hand now though, I can understand that you may want to delete stuff and go cold turkey for a while. Good luck.