• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sgt. Bulldog said:
Well, my TFT presents everything else perfectly! So it's not that cheap-of-the-back-of-a-lorry problem. All works perfectly - except HOI2.

SO I can't really accept the explanation that I bought some wrong hardware.
Sgt. Bulldog,

Can you try running a diffrent game in the native resolution of HoI2 on your screen and see what it looks like? I'm very curious to hear if it's that particular resolution that is a problem on your monitor.

I've tried on mine, but sadly I don't have any stinking games that seem to run in that resolution...it's skipped over by all of em!

Joshua

I've got a Dell Dimension 8400 with a 17" LCD monitor and it plays all my games, including HOI2 just fine.

I've had no problems with gaming on my monitor.

The native resolution of my monitor is 1280x1024.

I run windows at that res too. most of my games also, apart from HOI2.

jonnyincognito said:
Sgt. Bulldog,

Can you try running a diffrent game in the native resolution of HoI2 on your screen and see what it looks like? I'm very curious to hear if it's that particular resolution that is a problem on your monitor.

I've tried on mine, but sadly I don't have any stinking games that seem to run in that resolution...it's skipped over by all of em!

Joshua

I can answer you straight away because I used to run HOI1 at 1024*768 before I became aware that the resolution could be increased. There was no problems with the graphics in HOI1 at that resolution either.

All in all, this is equally confusing and frustrating.

Cobos said:
Just so people don't misunderstand what I was trying to say...
If you got a cheap/old/"not good at rescaling" LCD display HOI2 will look bad. That is essentially a problem with the design of HOI2, i.e they have strangely strict requirements for their game. But if you've got a CRT or a LCD that is good at rescaling you can minimize the problem that Paradox created.
Just so that is clear....

Cobos
First of, nothing is clear. Especially not the damned game! :D

But then I must repeat: my monitor is neither cheap, nor old.

Now, is anyone from Paradox ever going to give us an update on what is being done about it. Or at least enlighten us with some info on the technical background for this problem? The only input we have so far is that 1024*768 was a fixed resolution because of a design choice. But it doesn't explain why HOI2 performs worse than HOI1 in 1024*768. They even use the same set of fonts.

There's got to be more to it.

Last edited:
But I guess it's hard to figure it out without having seen what your problem is. Maybe if you took pictures of your screen with HOI1 and HOI2 so people who aren't getting the problem may have a better idea of the problem? (I mean actually grabbing a camera and taking pictures of the screen, as screenshots would be very unlikely to be of poor quality. ;))

I thought my LCD looked "OK" doing HoI2 until I started using the "tech research time utility" (link to it on the wiki, and it's highly recommended.) Which is relevant because it includes screen shots of the tech team pictures and other HoI2 elements, and looks *much* sharper and clearer than the game itself does.