• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
kenneththegreat said:
He started his own AAR newspaper without asking the moderators first. I can understand how that made Lord Durham angry, and that's three days out

Ah, I wondered what that was all about. No other comments about it from me though. I know better. ;)

SirCliveWolfe said:
Ah.. well it was only a joke really but ok...

How's the navay's stratergy looking at the moment anyway, it would be interesting to know what sucess you have had with my ideas as I'm sure you have modified them.

Anyway nice to hear you've finished with education and all them books.

OOC: Eh, what? Sorry brain's on vacation. :wacko:

Hey folks, sorry I didn't get this up when i said i would, these last couple of days became much more hectic than i expected, but thats the holidays for ya. And also, I wont really be around until new years, as I'm leaving on vacation until then. Speaking of which, happy holidays to everybody, however it is you celebrate. That being said, here's my late post:

----------------------------

2nd March 1937

Sir Owen Boyd walked over to his bar and gestured to the men with him to sit down. "Can I get either of you a drink?" he asked, "I'm having a brandy myself."

Lt. General Adrian King nodded, "I'd love a brandy, if it's no bother."

Boyd shook his head, "No problem at all. Jonathon, anything for you?"

Lt. General Sir Jonathon Maristow looked up from where he was examining the titles of the books on the bookshelf. "No thanks, I don't drink."

Boyd started at that, then smiled. "Very well, I can respect that. Course, could never do it myself, but I can respect it." Boyd handed King his drink, and then eased into his favorite recliner. "Now that dinner is over, and the women are busy with a tour of the house, let's get down to business. I'm making an effort to get to know more of the officers in command positions, which means you two of course, and I thought it would be a good idea to introduce you to each other, as you may be coordinating operations in the event of hostilities. I'd also like to get your opinions on a few issues, if you'll indulge me." The other men nodded, and Maristow gestured for him to continue. "Well, in that case, I'd like to hear your thoughts on that nasty business down in Cuidad Real, and whatever implications that may have for our organisation."

Maristow spoke up first, "I think everyone can agree that, if nothing else, the events in Spain have proven how important an air force can be in the role of a war." King started to interrupt, but Maristow waved his hand and continued, "But, that is not to say that I think that the method which the Spanish used their 'borrowed' air orce was acceptable. So, although I think that bombers will be vitally important in any conflict, I think we have be very careful to avoid replicating the situation in cuidad real, and focus on using our bombers in specific, tactical situations."

Boyd nodded, "I understand your point, but, to play devils advocate here, if we're facing a long drawn out war, there is certainly a quite valid argument to claim that one of the most effective ways to win such a war is to destroy the enemy's capability to produce more weapons. Without such a capability, they would surely lose a protracted war. And of course, we can all appreciate how difficult it would be to effectively destroy an enemies industries without causing collateral damage."

King took the opportunity to speak up then, "Well, Sir Owen, I can certainly understand that. But nonetheless, I think we have an obligation to do our best to avoid as much collateral damage as possible. I realize that any government must accept civilian casualities, but i think they could be considerably lessened if we focus our efforts on construction and development of tactical bombers, rather than strategic bombers."

Boyd smiled, "I think you both make very good points, and I'm actually inclined to agree with you both. However, some members of the government have different ideas, and although I plan to push much harder for tactical bombers, I can't rule out the fact that the number of strategic bombers we have may be increased as well. But anyways, on a lighter note, you may be interested to hear that the government has tentatively approved my request for the development of a multi-purpose fighter. I'm not sure if you've seen the preliminary specifications for this fighter, but it looks quite impressive."

King lightened considerably on hearing this news, "That is excellent. From what I've heard about the design, it would be a very capable aircraft. I'm excited to see what we can do with it."

Boyd nodded, and glanced over to Maristow, who didn't seem as excited as King. "Jonathon, what do you think, you look like you are quite lost in thought, and I'd be interested to hear your perspective on this. "

Maristow paused for a moment to collect his thoughts, then spoke softly, "Well, sir, I'm not sure I share the general enthusiasm for this new design. I just dont understand why we are going to be pouring our limited resources into the development of this new fighter design when we already have a perfectly acceptable one in use. The Hurricanes, especially the Mark II's, are exceptionally capable aircraft, and I think our resources would be better spent producing more of those."

"Well," Boyd responded thoughtfully, "I'll agree that the Hurricanes are very nice aircraft, but I think this new design has a few advantages over them. First, from what the designers are telling me, this new fighter design would be more capable at dogfighting, meaning it would be better at air superiority, freeing up the Hurricanes we do have for an interception role, destroying enemy bombers while this new design engages the fighters. In addition to that, this design would be able to carry small bomb payloads on its own, meaning it could be used in certain tactical roles, like the destruction of enemy airbases, meaning that our tactical bombers wouldnt be quite as overstretched."

"I appreciate those points sir," Maristow replied, "but I'm just not sure those advantages offset the amount of time and effort we are going to have to spend on this new design."

"Well," Boyd said, "I guess we are just going to have to disagree on this one. But, instead of arguing further, lets move on to something else, I fear the women will be back soon, and then we'll be all out of time for talking shop...."

To be continued....

Well, I guess we're on hold until quicky gets back as he will be taking us up to an event on the 9th (if my memory serves me correctly)....... and therefore - Happy non denominational Holidays to you all and a happy New Year!

Eat lots of Pudding, give lots of presents and watch lots of Cricket!

Cheers,
Dury.

P.S. Ho Ho Ho!!!

To: Vice Admiral Lyons, Commander Task Force Lyons
Subj: Harland & Wolff

Admiral Lyons,

It appears that someone finally listens when I rant, because I recieved a letter from a Sir Frederick Rebbeck expressing his displeasure.

Since you are the highest ranking officer in the Carrier school of thought, you are requested that you come with me to visit their facilities, and possibly put in some input in what sort of aircraft you would prefer.

Good luck
Sir Thomas Wallace
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC: Sorry for the long wait, but its taken awhile to summon up the brainpower to come up with a suitable plan. Oh and requested= get here now.

OOC: We at TNT, we do drama. :rolleyes: Enjoy some flavor post before I get back to business as usual. ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sticks had been gone so long from London, he'd almost forgot it. "No chance in that." he muttered and continued past the Marine guard toward his office.

"Well, look who is back. You enjoy your vacation, Admiral?"

Sticks didn't like the false formality or the tone at all but he could hardly blame her for either. "I assure you, it wasn't much of a vacation, as you well know. It's not like I've been attempting to avoid you."

Sticks could feel his Irish blood starting to boil over and feel the heat pass over him. Time to cool down. he thought and would have succeeded if not for the next thing he heard.

"Oh my, trouble in paradise?"

Sticks went instantly to a shade of reddish-purple and managed to stammer out, "JACK, YOU GO TO HELL!"

The silence that followed was awkward and Sticks didn't quite know what to make of everyone's expression, except Jack. He just smiled mockingly. "I think I've heard that from you before, if I remember right." His looked more focused on him now. "Hmm, you need to calm down some, Andy, that doesn't look so good."

Sticks didn't quite comprehend him. I'm mad at him and at Elenor and where was she off to now? He was half-angry and part-panicked and Jack was moving toward him but he couldn't quite make him out which made him fearful and defensive.

"Easy now, Andy. I'm gonna help you." and he advanced forward but Sticks just backed up. "ELENOR! Get back here, he isn't listening to me."

Her reply was inaudible but he guessed it make have been, 'When does he listen to anybody.'

Sticks was still trying hard to make sense of the situation. The mixture of anger and fear was subsiding and with it was a realization of what was going on was coming to him. It wasn't the first time he had tunnel vision, he knew what the vision problem was but the pain hadn't registered yet. He looked at his right hand and arm and saw the glass and all the blood. He watched it for what seemed like an eternity as events swirled around him.

"Is everything okay here, sirs? I heard..." The marine scanned the hall and swiftly said, "Aw Hell, I'll get a Corpsman."

"I couldn't find a towel." That was Elenor, Sticks thought proudly, as if he'd get a gold star for being right. He heard something tearing and then heard "I don't know if I outta pull that out." That was Jack, he thought. He felt gentle hands on him but he didn't remember someone moving close to him. Shock, that's it, I'm in shock. He was quite pleased with himself now.

He felt a little pain and heard a male voice say, "Oh good Lord, I shouldn't have done that." Jack? He wasn't sure now. He was comfortable but he didn't remember being on the floor. His head was propped up and he figured out that it was resting on Elenor's lap. He was glad she was there, he'd missed her more than he cared to admit. "I missed Elenor," he managed to get out but he shook his head. "No...I missed you," he corrected himself. Jack couldn't help but smile at that. Only Andrew Jackson Fitzpatrick would make sure to correct himself in such a time.

"Shh, Andrew," and he felt a finger on his lips. He looked up to see her looking down with a brave smile on her face, a brave smile just for him. He tried to move to reach up with his right arm and that male voice said, "Not that one, Andy." He tried his left and just managed to touch her hair and smile weakly before he could remember no more.

"Christ, sir, that's alot of blood." The corpsman looked at his assistant and said, "Let's get to it." He ordered his junior about, to elevate his legs while he took care of Stick's arm as best he could. A tourniquet stopped the bleeding and he went to wake Sticks with some smelling salts. "Ma'am, if you could let me do my..." The look he got made him change his words. "Maybe you could hold his good hand so I can try to wake him?" She nodded and moved over but the man couldn't wake him.

He looked at Jack. "Sir, I hoped to wake him but otherwise he is stable but he needs a hospital to fix that arm properly." Elenor got up with wet eyes and held on to Jack tightly. "He'll be okay, honey." but she cried all the more. "Your father's right, ma'am, the Limeys might not have everything but they got good hospitals here in London. They'll patch him up good, ma'am."

Jack nodded at the corpsmen. "We'll follow you."

Duritz said:
Well, I guess we're on hold until quicky gets back as he will be taking us up to an event on the 9th (if my memory serves me correctly)....... and therefore - Happy non denominational Holidays to you all and a happy New Year!

Eat lots of Pudding, give lots of presents and watch lots of Cricket!

Cheers,
Dury.

P.S. Ho Ho Ho!!!

Sorry Dury, didnt realize you were specifically waiting for that post. Ill get it up as soon as possible, which isnt now, as im about to leave. Feel free to move on if you like, we can have a small flashback if necessary.

Quicky

quickfire809 said:
Sorry Dury, didnt realize you were specifically waiting for that post. Ill get it up as soon as possible, which isnt now, as im about to leave. Feel free to move on if you like, we can have a small flashback if necessary.

Sorry??? You're sorry??? Typical of a jumped up motor mechanic that they don't understand how important certain things are! :mad: [ :p ]

And reading Stick's post above has me stumped...... is Sticks a self harmer?!? :eek:

Dury.

OCC: Well if we're doing flavour posts. (Oh and I have stolen Ark Royal from Cammel Larid, and no they're not having her back. :p)

---

Sir Frederick Rebbeck looked out over the yards he knew so well and brooded. He was a shipbuilder through and through and worked his way up through the ranks to his present emminence. He had been a director when the legendary Viscount Pirrie was running the company and had seen many ships, both the good and the bad, leave the yard. Normally looking out over the yard filled him with a sense of purpose, seeing new vessels, of any size, take form reassured him he'd chosen the right path for his life. Sadly that was no longer the case, with the view from the yard dominated by Ark Royal even the briefest look out the window sent a shiver up his spine.

He'd worked on previous carriers, Glorious had been laid down here and he been on the consulting team during her conversion at Rosyth. Vindictive on the other hand had been converted while in this yard and Sir Rebbeck still felt partly responsible for that debacle, even though it was navy designesr who had produced the poor design.

And that in essence was the problem: His Majesty's Ship Ark Royal was in serious danger of turning out as bad as those two. Well maybe not as bad, she wasn't a converted cruiser, but there were too many corners being cut, the budget was too tight. The old adage 'A penny saved was a penny earned' didn't apply to millitary shipbuilding. A more suitable motto was 'A penny saved costs you a pound in refits later, if it doesn't sink the ship first.' And too many penny's had been saved on this project. She'd be big but not clever.

Sir Rebbeck sighed and turned away from the window. Perhaps it was just another experimental carrier and the orders for 'proper' ships would follow later. He shook his head and returned to the paperwork to prepare for the Admiralty visit.

--
OCC: Ark Royal is a level I carrier correct? While I know the game reasons, that makes her as 'bad' as the experimental conversion carriers, there had to be some fall out from that.

Duritz said:
And reading Stick's post above has me stumped...... is Sticks a self harmer?!? :eek:

Dury.

All OOC: Addy is right but to answer you specifically, no, he is not.

It was purposely vague as it was mainly written from Sticks' PoV. He wasn't aware of what he had done (putting his fist through a glass window on the upper part of a door) so I didn't write it like he knew what was going on and given he went from rage into shock, I felt it was fitting. More will come of it when I write the aftermath.

Pippy, good stuff on the Ark Royal. I imagine someone will have to take the fallout for it. I can't imagine building a Langley or Argus in 1937. Madness. :eek:o

El Pip said:
OCC: Well if we're doing flavour posts. (Oh and I have stolen Ark Royal from Cammel Larid, and no they're not having her back. :p)

---

Sir Frederick Rebbeck looked out over the yards he knew so well and brooded. He was a shipbuilder through and through and worked his way up through the ranks to his present emminence. He had been a director when the legendary Viscount Pirrie was running the company and had seen many ships, both the good and the bad, leave the yard. Normally looking out over the yard filled him with a sense of purpose, seeing new vessels, of any size, take form reassured him he'd chosen the right path for his life. Sadly that was no longer the case, with the view from the yard dominated by Ark Royal even the briefest look out the window sent a shiver up his spine.

He'd worked on previous carriers, Glorious had been laid down here and he been on the consulting team during her conversion at Rosyth. Vindictive on the other hand had been converted while in this yard and Sir Rebbeck still felt partly responsible for that debacle, even though it was navy designesr who had produced the poor design.

And that in essence was the problem: His Majesty's Ship Ark Royal was in serious danger of turning out as bad as those two. Well maybe not as bad, she wasn't a converted cruiser, but there were too many corners being cut, the budget was too tight. The old adage 'A penny saved was a penny earned' didn't apply to millitary shipbuilding. A more suitable motto was 'A penny saved costs you a pound in refits later, if it doesn't sink the ship first.' And too many penny's had been saved on this project. She'd be big but not clever.

Sir Rebbeck sighed and turned away from the window. Perhaps it was just another experimental carrier and the orders for 'proper' ships would follow later. He shook his head and returned to the paperwork to prepare for the Admiralty visit.

--
OCC: Ark Royal is a level I carrier correct? While I know the game reasons, that makes her as 'bad' as the experimental conversion carriers, there had to be some fall out from that.

OOC: Yeah there has to be some sort of fall out, however historically, weren't there some damage control problems with the real Ark Royal? At least that was supposedly part of the reason why she sunk.

If anything that discovery, plus DC procedures developed at sea would be a very legit excuse for the delay on the Illustrious -class.

Adaml83 said:
OOC: Yeah there has to be some sort of fall out, however historically, weren't there some damage control problems with the real Ark Royal? At least that was supposedly part of the reason why she sunk.

If anything that discovery, plus DC procedures developed at sea would be a very legit excuse for the delay on the Illustrious -class.

The entire engine layout was dicey, mainly the exhausts and boiler intakes. Furious and her sisters had various heat and exhaust interference problems so the system was rejigged, but not redesigned, for Ark Royal. This solved the original problem but created a whole raft of new ones.

Put simply she was a Washington Treaty ship, designed in 1934, and like the rest of the British treaty ships she was a bit of a mess. Add to that tthe damage control teams who weren't very good and things don't look good. The torpedo hit was about as bad as it could be, but not fatal if the damage control teams had known what they were doing. The design didn't help, but proper DC would have saved her.

The delay on Illustrious wouldn't be long, just kick up the tonnage past 22,000 and you have the extra space and mass to solve the problem as well as a nicer ship.

El Pip said:
The entire engine layout was dicey, mainly the exhausts and boiler intakes. Furious and her sisters had various heat and exhaust interference problems so the system was rejigged, but not redesigned, for Ark Royal. This solved the original problem but created a whole raft of new ones.

Put simply she was a Washington Treaty ship, designed in 1934, and like the rest of the British treaty ships she was a bit of a mess. Add to that tthe damage control teams who weren't very good and things don't look good. The torpedo hit was about as bad as it could be, but not fatal if the damage control teams had known what they were doing. The design didn't help, but proper DC would have saved her.

The delay on Illustrious wouldn't be long, just kick up the tonnage past 22,000 and you have the extra space and mass to solve the problem as well as a nicer ship.

OOC: Heh, I think it'd be hard to find a treaty ship that didn't have problems.

Oh and Pippy, pm me on what you want to do for the tour. Let's see if we can work something out.

OOC:Tis the season for flavour posting.
Fa la la la la, la la la la!!! :D

-------------------------------------

5 March 1937
Sandhurst Military College

The lecturer introduced his guest without pomp or ceremony. “Today, we will be given a lecture by a serving field officer. He has been invited along to discuss the tactics of the enemy in the Great War. Please make welcome Brigadier Dylan Smith.”

There was slight applause from the front row or two but the rest shifted in their seats nervously, wondering exactly what sort of lecture they would be receiving today. Captain James Maners was a normally entertaining lecturer, with a loyal following amongst the cadets, so the newcomer was viewed with suspicion.

“Thank you Captain. Good morning Cadets. As my good friend mentioned my lecture will be on enemy tactics, specifically German small unit infantry tactics. However, unlike what you are normally taught it will not be about tactics employed on the Western Front. Instead, I am going to discuss the infantry tactics used by a young Jaeger Captain on the Italian front. We have this information because he wrote a book on it, called ‘Infantry Attacks’. Now it is marketed in Germany as a memoir but there is very little personal detail in it, what it does outline is the tactics, formations and philosophy of small scale infantry tactics used during the last war. Why is this so relevant? Why listen to the ravings of a small time battalion commander on a secondary front from a war now almost 20 years over?

“The answer is that its author, a Captain Erwin Rommel, is the German equivalent of our very own Captain Maners. Captain Rommel is a staff instructor in the leading German military academy and teaches these tactics to all the brightest young cadets in the German Wehrmacht. No better source of information exists on exactly how the other side will think in the daily tactical battles on the front line. Rommel spent so little time on the Western Front his experiences speak of a more fluid type of warfare. It is the warfare of mobility and the type of engagement you are being trained for. Small numbers of men, difficult terrain, opposition of an inferior nature if superior tactical position – these are the circumstances our army faces on the North West frontier or in the heart of Africa every day. They are lessons that need to be leant for the day that mobility returns to modern warfare.

“As you are no doubt aware Field Marshall Deverell has committed this army to that day, all future units raised will be motorised and the introduction of fully armoured divisions is not too far distant. What follows is a practical example of how small infantry units should be handled, trained and fought.”

Over the next hour Dylan spoke on the training, direction and tactics of small infantry units as outlined in the book. He also expanded on these and related them to the newer equipment developed since the war and to British experience in Empire police actions. The talk covered a lot of ground but was still detailed enough to be full of helpful information to the cadets.

Dylan didn’t mention that the book had been stolen while still in draft form by British agents or that the views expressed in the lecture were not in vogue in his own army. What he did do was make the talk so interesting with diagrams, overheads and pictures that the students could not help but be impressed (and more importantly influenced) by the content of the lecture. He received a strong round of applause upon the completion of the lecture and several students asked how they could get copies of the book. Dylan promised to get copies to Captain Maners for them. He then retired to Captain Maners room for a quiet chat and a cup of tea.

Maners poured the tea and sat back in his sofa chair. “It’s good to see you back here after all these years, and as a Brigadier too!”

“It’s the old man’s way of keeping me occupied. I’m officially attached to Supply branch of Army HQ but in reality I head up a special unit for Sir Cyril himself.”

“Doing what?”

”He jokingly refers to us as his personal hands, he keeps saying that two hands aren’t enough to run the army and so he’s got in some extras. We work outside normal channels, and make sure that the old man’s intentions are permeating all levels of the establishment.”

”I don’t get it? You do what, spy on officers to make sure they follow regulations? That doesn’t sound a very wholesome occupation for you.”

Dylan smiled as he answered, “No, nothing like that, I’ll give you an example. The old man has requested that all commanders update their defences to account for the latest in tank warfare.”

“Huh, what would most commanders know about that? Most of them hate the damn things still.”

“Exactly, so last month I went out to Gibraltar and surveyed the northern defences. I found several errors in the official report of the military commander and reported them to Sir Cyril. The commander had reported the island tank proof but when I went out there I noticed several areas where tanks could be used effectively to breach our front lines. I report them to Sir Cyril and he questioned the official report until they were fixed.”

“Important work but surely your skills could be better used. Report filing is rather dull. Why do you stay at it?”

”Well the report writing may be dull but certain other parts of the job are much more rewarding. The Indian exercises are a prime example. My job there was to imbed myself with units and report back on the performance of commanders. We uncovered some real gems and now their careers will be micro managed from the top rather than left to the whims of a superior who will stifle his skills rather than help to harness them.”

“And what if Sir Cyril goes? There’s rumours you know.”

“Yes I’ve heard them, and so has he. He said he’ll make sure I get my choice of assignment before he goes and in that case you may see a lot more of me here.”

“I’d enjoy that, we used to cut two very dashing figures on base you and I.”

”That was a long time ago James, I’m not sure you’d be able to keep up with me still.”

Both men laughed at the joke and continued to reminisce about old times.

OOC: Good morrow gentlemen,

Haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking.... nice to see the thread progressing.... looking forward to the "Grand Tour"... :D

Sir Clive

SirCliveWolfe said:
OOC: Good morrow gentlemen,

Haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking.... nice to see the thread progressing.... looking forward to the "Grand Tour"... :D

Sir Clive

OOC: Well it'll give you a nice chance to talk about your SHBBs again.

Adaml83 said:
OOC: Well it'll give you a nice chance to talk about your SHBBs again.

OCC: Nah... Wolfey's begining to think that his stance on SHBB's is starting to deminish his position in the Admirality and, therefore, the position of his ideal of a Battleship lead navy, the old sea dog is also looking on with interest on carriers, although he still belives the'll be better for recon than anti-ship warfare.

OOC: After poking around the savegame I found this and had to comment. In charachter of course, just not my usual one!

---
March 1937
Headquarters East Indies Squadron, Ceylon

Rear-Admiral Tovey read through the latest intelligence reports, that Admiral Wolfe chappy seemed to really know his onions. 'If only there were a few more chaps of his caliber higher up' he thought to himself 'I wouldn't be in this ridiculous position.' Indeed his current command seemed badly suited for a for a man of Toveys undoubted skill and tactical sense.

It had all started so well though, his promotion to Rear-Admiral had seemed like it would spell his way out of the 1st Transport Flotilla to a 'proper' command, which it briefly had. Then that damned defence review had snatched it all away, shifting most of his ships off to Singapore.

Tovey sighed to himself, he was still Flag Officer Cruiser Squadron 4 which was not be sniffed at. His Majesty's Ships Emerald and Enterprise were still the fastest ships in the fleet, 33kts or more on a good day they could make. They might not be as new as those treaty fudging Leanders but they were fine ships, perfect for work in the Indian Ocean. The problem was, fine as they were, they were his only ships. Unless you counted the transports, which Tovey prefered not to.

'Now give me a flotilla of those new Tribal destroyers and maybe one of the Surreys Cammel-Larid are working on. That would be a proper spiffing command.' Even as he thought it, he knew it wasn't going to happen.

Tovey returned to his paperwork until one item caught his eye, a big meeting of naval types back in blighty. If Wolfey could fight the Far East's corner well enough he might just get those new ships...

----
OOC: Whenever the Admiralty is ready to make it's dramatic arrival at H&W, feel free. I assume Wolfey and Addy will be having an in character chat beforehand? If not I'll start the ball rolling tomorrow sometime.