• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pretty good job so far. Are you thinking of upgrading your army by, say, adding another brigade to your infantry divisions? Or building more divisions?

I still now too little about the new system (waiting for 1.3 :D ..And manual printed with very small types , so not read yet.
So, can you just decide to change your number of brigades in all divisions, and add them all at once? or do you have to do that to each division?

So, can you just decide to change your number of brigades in all divisions, and add them all at once? or do you have to do that to each division?

If the divisions already exist you add Bde's one....at....a....time....

The TO&E chart on the upper right helps out somewhat in scrolling through your forces.

Turkish Army

The AI tends to be rather slow to react, and then relies primarily on weight of numbers to win. But, even with player control, Turkey has too long a coastline to defend it all. One can use milita for this duty, but even then it takes forever to assemble the necessary forces. For all practical purposes, the country is virtually impossible to defend and once Ankara falls expect the Turks to throw-up their hands.

The one reason why Italy never wants to invade Turkey though, is because they were a natural buffer between the Russians and the eastern Med. This is the first time I've seen that protocal breeched. The only Turkish defence to Axis beligerence would be to align themselves with the communists, but in HOI3 that can take up to two years to effect.

Intervention is something the game designers may have overlooked, a Russian player wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of this situation. So, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, Russia does with the Italian threat.

Leviathan07: They sure are. :D

billy bob: This just goes to show just how superior I really am. ;)

FlyingDutchie: Welcome! It might be a good purchase, especially with 1.3 on the horizon. ;)

truth is life: Not yet. Maybe in 1940 a bit. :p

BlitzMartinDK: AFAIK you'd have to do it division by division, which could be awkward, as Cpt Crash said. :p

Cpt Crash: Yeah, it's a bit of a pain. :p

truth is life: Yeah, I've got a small elite force. Don't want to dilute it with extra brigades! Maybe. ;)

Valentinan: A very valid and important worry there, as a border between the Italian Empire and the Soviet Union can get quite hot, particularly if Germany goes on an eastern crusade. However, I fully expect not to answer the call to arms until I'm ready and it's favorable to me, and I hope the Soviet Union would be too busy with Germany to look in my direction. :D

I'll get an update tonight, lads! But you gotta vote! ;)

The Year of Aggression
Part 11: Operation Ariarathes II, October 22 – November 3, 1939

The end of October and the first three days of November were a period of triumph for Italy, and particularly for the 7a Armata. What little Turkish resistance manifested itself was swept away with bare effort. By the beginning of November 3rd, Italian forces were on the verge of pushing the Turks out of Eregli, and were sweeping into Ankara. Victory was at hand, as was a return to peace.

On the 23rd, Roatta’s and Pintor’s bridgeheads combined and all formations had their objectives pushed further eastward. There was no single overarching geographical objective for pushing the front forward as Pintor was doing. He merely wanted to keep it a moving target, to prevent a Turkish defense from congealing in front of his southern flank. Furthermore, pushing forward quickly protected the main thrusts, which were in the north, from any possible future Turkish counterattacks in the south, should they mass sufficient forces in that area of the front to even dare mount such an operation. This was war as Mussolini liked it: quick and nearly bloodless, as opposed to the Yugoslav campaign.

041-01-OperationsContinuing.jpg

Operations in Yugoslavia continuing from secure beachheads.

In the north, Frattini and Messe were driving a Turkish division before them, inflicting upon it a sequence of minor defeats and forcing it to give up position after position. By the 27th, Frattini and Messe were within striking distance of Eregli, the only other major Turkish naval base. Here Frattini and Messe parted trails. Frattini took the direct road toward Eregli, while Messe took a detour toward Akyazi before turning back to head toward Eregli by a different road. Given its obvious importance, and status as an objective for the Italian forces, it was sure to be defended heavily. To the south, the other two divisions of Gambara’s corps were too far back to influence operations much. Scattini, of Roatta’s corps, received the most ambitious orders, however. He was to march directly to Ankara and conquer that city, the capital of Turkey. The lack of Turkish defenses on the front—at this time there were still only four known Turkish divisions in the entirety of western Anatolia—was causing a wave of confidence amongst the 7a Armata.

041-02-OperationsExpanding.jpg

Operations were expanding, with objectives being set further and further eastward.

By the 28th, Eregli was placed in a state of siege as Frattini attacked it head-on. His two brigades were opposed by two brigades of cavalry. Messe, meanwhile, had levered the Turks out of Duzce with minimal casualties and was also approaching Eregli, ready to take part in that battle. The real event, however, began on the 2nd as Scattini marched past tattered the Turkish forces in the environs of Eregli to the north of his division and pushed forward daringly and began pushing into Ankara, trusting to Turkish incompetence to protect his flanks. Arrayed against him was the high command, the headquarters of the entire Turkish army. The battle for Ankara had begun.

041-04-BattleofAnkara.jpg

The battle of Ankara.

In truth, ‘the battle for Ankara’ is not only an exaggeration but even a downright misnomer. Its capital under threat, the Turkish government fled to Egypt and thence to London, abandoning the state. The Turks offered their surrender one hour after midnight on the 3rd, merely two hours after Scattini began his push into Ankara. Turkish forces everywhere laid down their arms. The last Italian to die in the war was the one man who died on the streets of Ankara. Over one hundred Italians died at Eregli. As compared to these losses, the Turks in these two engagements lost twenty and four hundred and thirty-one, respectively.

041-05-TurkeySurrenders.jpg

Turkey surrenders!

Peace had returned to Italy after two campaigns of conquest. Of these campaigns, the former was a long and bloody affair in which thousands of Italians perished for the greater glory of Italy. Comparatively, Turkey fell in two weeks and at the cost of approximately five hundred Italian lives. The conquest of Turkey gave Italy a window into the Black Sea, and most particularly the Soviet Black Sea coastline, as well as allowing it to cast a long shadow, should it choose to do so, over the rest of the Middle East. While a more detailed examination of the strategic benefits of Yugoslavia and Turkey will wait until the conclusion of this chapter, they were significant enough to be, worth, in the case of Turkey, more than sharing a border with the Soviet Union.

Now for Greece and Bulgaria...followed by Nat. Spain. :)

Excellent job in getting Turkey out of the war so quickly!

In my own Italian campaign, I made the mistake of giving the Turks too much time after regaining the Dodecanese before launching my mainland invasion, and they were able to create a front to hold me up relatively quickly. It took me two months to crush them, having had to reinforce my forces with four additional army corps (2 of which were armoured).

Il Duce was appalled at the cost of some 5000 dead, nearly 10 times as many casualties as you took! Lets hope your Italy can continue its conquests at so little cost :)

Nice and easy victory, congrats. By conquering Turkey you now have plenty of strategic options. Greece, Syria, Cyprus and even the Caucasus...

Seems tha larger numbers of provinces in HoI3 prevent the trench warfare that usually emerged in HoI2 in difficult terrain. Still have nightmares about Spain :D...

I think Il Duce should turn an eye toward Nationalist Spain right now and finish the job...from there Gibraltar and a simultaneous thrust into Egypt. Then the Med can truly be called "Italy's Lake".

Oh, and I predict 4 weeks before Turkey is...oh...darn. :(

I'll say it again, Guerra del Fulmice. And this really was, jeez not only were their pants down, but you cought them with their butts still on the crapper!

I'm interested to see what roles this new colony will play in the expanding Italian Empire. This gives you direct access to the Caucasus, should the Soviets ever need to be tought a lesson.

Jesus man. Good job. Who is the next one to fall to the Italian war machine?

Aside from the national unity issue, the big thing with Turkey in this battle is that they position most of their army on the Soviet border (and normally rightly so). The low infrastructure makes it impossible for them to even reach Ankara before your units do.

But they joined war! 5-6 weeks before! They had plenty of time to take SOME troops from a "peaceful" border, at least to their capitol, and their most important port.

Or how much time did they have?

Enewald: In time, in time. ;)

ColossusCrusher: Nat Spain? Well, maybe some time. But they're not a high priority at the moment. :p

Palmyrene: Hehe, having played through 1940 now, I can say that the Italian record is a bit spotty. Mostly because my play sessions are each about a month apart so anything I learn in one session I forget by the next one! :p

truth is life: Yes. :D

FlyingDutchie: Well, there *can* be some trench warfare type stuffs. Germany has been slowly grinding toward Paris. ;)

Jorath13: Nat Spain is better as a shield for my Spanish holdings than anything else at the moment, given the anticipated war with the queen of the seas. ;)

Maj. von Mauser: Yep, Turkey's in an interesting position geostrategically. It'll be interesting to see what I actually make of it. :p

billy bob: Someone. Next year. ;)

quetzilla: Yeah, their army was completely on the wrong side of the country. Though that's a bit silly, given that they were at war with me. :p

BlitzMartinDK: Yeah, they joined the war when I DOWed Yugoslavia. So given that it took me two months to take Yugoslavia and another two weeks (about) to ready my forces for a Turkish landing, they had plenty of time to shift forces westward if they were going to. You really do have to chalk it up to gross incompetence. :p

Vote in the ACAs! We need you!

But they joined war! 5-6 weeks before! They had plenty of time to take SOME troops from a "peaceful" border, at least to their capitol, and their most important port.

Or how much time did they have?

Not having a land border with Italy means the AI doesn't know how to designate a proper front to defend. Even if it did know, turkey has a huge coastline and they probably didn't even have enough troops to deploy one division to each coastal province. Fact is that Turkey is hard enough to play as a human player, the AI can't be expected to put up any real fight against a human controlled Italy with multiple conquests under its belt.