• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure wished Generals could be demoted to privates, that'd teach them a lesson ;)

May be you'll send an expeditionary force to the eastern Front? If yes, then two divisional commanders suddenly spring to mind! :)

Also, will you re-incorporate the treacherous mountain barbarians of the Helvetics into the greater Italian Empire?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tannenbaum

Furthermore, a particular small handful of men had to be made examples of, as Voltaire would say, pour encourager les autres.

The original quote was referring to executing military officers; perhaps Mussolini should consider that if things continue to go poorly. ;)

Hopefully the new streamlined Armata dell'A.O.I. will get the job done, though, and that won't be necessary. Il Duce seems to know what he is doing (before reading "A British TAAR", and then this one, I never knew I'd have a chance to say that. :eek: ).

Time to disband the blackshirts and add to the manpower pool. Best thing that can be done with them, imho.

Vann

Interesting regrouping moves. I hope that Grossi can lead his slimmed down force to the Victory Mussolini must absolutely now have to retain credibility for the Italian resurgence.

Baltasar: That's a good idea for those two commanders, if the game ever comes to that. As for Switzerland...I haven't given it any thought yet. :p

Enewald: I actually haven't given that any thought either. We'll just have to see when it happens. ;)

Judas Maccabeus: Yeah I know of the origins of the saying. Admiral Byng, wasn't it, acting prudentially in the Med during one of Britain's many wars and Parliament judging that discretion was, in this case, not the better part of valor. Unfortunately HoI3 doesn't have the option for execution. :p And yeah, Mussolini seems truly blessed in HoI3. :D

Vann the Red: They also give back leadership, at least relatively! :D

Palmyrene: Yep, this is a case of do or die. Hopefully the Armata dell'AOI won't die! :p

I'll be writing the update tonight, will post it tomorrow morning!

Gods and Generals

My limited experience with this game (and coming from HOI2) is that during combat Maj. Generals gain the most experience. Corps commanders and theater commanders at ****HQ and *******HQ respectively gain proportionally less experience.

So, the goal is to put the most effective generals (offensive, defensive, tank commanders, etc.) at the divisional level, and keep them there until they reach experience level 5. When they reach level 5 they can go no higher, so that's when they're promoted.

To gain the necessary experience to promote the best commanders must be in the theater of operations. My guess (as I've not yet played Italy in this game) is to demote the better leaders (Grazioli, von Mauser, et al) to Maj. General and send them to the front. In the intrem, Italy has a number of lessor Generals and old Guard that can be used at the HQ level. I'd recommend staffing those positions with logistics or commando specialities to begin with.

It's a long war, and if you're careful with your promotions you can eventually get quality (exp. level 3-5) generals at every level.

the later plan wartime italy had in real life was to keep only 3 or 4 battlefield blackshirt divisions and incorporate the rest into the regular infantry divisions.

thus the standard INF division was supposed to be INF, INF, MIL...thus eliminating the binary INF, INF system. but the war ended before that plan could be largely enacted.

this move was to add more manpower punch to divisions that only had 2 INF brigades and also to enfuse a little good ole fashioned political enthusiasm to a generally apolitical fighting unit.

thats how i was going to play my italy games. if i could play )))

Myth, I gave your AAR a shout-out on the general forums (post 2 AARs Everyone needs to read though I admit the post title indicates 2 AARs done by Chilango2. :D Still, don't let us and the future readers down! Keep up the good work and may Il Duce see triumph in Africa soon!

Well if promoting Grazioli fixed the problem then it seems that incompetence can be mitigated to an extent by distance from the battlefield. Suddenly it makes sense why Mussolini is such a luminary!:D

Valentinan: Yeah but promoting and demoting generals at will I find a bit unrealistic. The development of my officer corps will be more organic. As divisional commanders gain in skill and prestige they'll become corps commanders, corps commanders army generals, army generals to army group commanders and theater commanders, and the old guard will slowly retire. ;)

The Balbinater: That's an interesting system, though I'll end up not following it. Maybe in another game. :p

Jorath13: That's quite kind of you. :D

VILenin: Haha, that might indeed be the case! :D

Update coming up!

The Year of Development
Part 2: The Generals’ War III, January 1 – February 20, 1937

His imposed reorganization on the Armata dell’AOI and the wider Tarabulus headquarters complete, Mussolini returned to the policy he had agreed upon with Grazioli. Mussolini withdrew from intervening and simply watched events unfold, busying himself with guiding Italy toward the strategic vision he wanted to become a reality. Thus, the war in East Africa reverted to the command of the generals. They had let it slide into defeat and humiliation but they also had the potential, galvanized by the reorganization, of clawing their way back out of the hole they had stumbled into.

For the first month, Grossi merely sat and waited. For thirty-one days, it was as if nothing had changed despite the decrease in numbers and the change of leadership at the top. Mussolini had allowed limited newspaper coverage of the theater on the explicit agreement that not the disaster in Somalia, nor the length of the war be mentioned nor the failures of the previous commanders be mentioned. The press was thus ready to trumpet the victorious march into Adis Abeba, but this did not happen and soon there were muted grumbles in the newspapers. Grossi was not worried, nor was Grazioli or Mussolini. They understood that logistics took time to correct. On January 24th, Grossi sent off a report to Rome that, by his judgment, the logistical situation was good enough to warrant major offensive action.

014-01-SuppliesareGood.jpg

Logistics were adequately if not fully supplying all frontline units.

In the same report, he submitted his intelligence estimates. He believed that the Abyssinian forces in front of him had approximately a third of the combat strength he commanded. While he suggested that a squadron of tactical bombers and four regiments of armor would be appreciated, he knew that this was merely ritual. No reinforcements would be forthcoming, he would have to make do with what he had. His objective was Adis Abeba, and he was going to attack toward it. It was not anticipated to be a reckless thrust, though given the minor distances involved by this stage it was not out of the question even for the most cautious commander. Instead, he aimed to give the troops under his command some more combat experience, reports of which would be very useful to the army staff research teams in Rome.

014-02-GrossisIntelligenceEstimates.jpg

Grossi’s intelligence estimates, final objective and offensive stance.

Finally, on February 2, the dam broke. Six Italian divisions, six-sevenths of the entire Armata dell’AOI, attacked the Abyssinian forces that were deployed around Debre Markos. Coordinated by Gonzago del Vodice, with Major General Nicolosi as the senior general on the frontline, the greater part of Gonzago’s corps attacked with the other divisions supporting. The Abyssinian resistance comprised a single division, albeit one of trained infantry. The Abyssinians made the most of the mountainous terrain and the river in their defense, and the Italian logistics system was hard pressed to deliver the ammunition required for heavy combat. Nonetheless the Abyssinians were driven back in the space of a week, losing nearly a thousand soldiers. The Italians lost a third of the men the Abyssinians did.

014-03-BattleofDebreMarkos.jpg

The battle of Debre Markos, heralding the new Italian offensive!

By February 12th, Debre Markos had fallen to the Italians. The Abyssinians were retreating toward Nek’emte. Gonzago quickly shifted his forces, sending one division toward Nek’emte, under the command of Silvestri, two toward the town of Gedo, under Nicolosi and Barbasetti di Prun, and two to Fiche to join Tellera’s mountaineers. These last two were under the command of Gandin and Castellano. The Abyssinians put up a short fight for Nek’emte, not lasting longer than two days, before withdrawing further toward Jima. The fight for Gedo was more difficult as the Abyssinian forces there were fresh and considerable, deploying one division of trained infantry and a division of militia as well. Three Italian divisions attacked Gedo: the two from Debre Markos, which were supported by Tellera from Fiche.

014-04-Movements.jpg

Pursuing toward Nek’emte, fighting toward Gedo and marching toward Fiche.

Thus by the 20th of February, Grossi’s right flank had advanced several hundred kilometers from their start line by Bahir Dar. Debre Markos had fallen in ten days, Nek’emte in a further eight. Gedo was under attack. Though Grossi had decided against direct thrust toward Adis Abeba, this evidently did not mean that he was going to move slowly. Grossi swept through western Abyssinia at an astounding rate. Long the silent portion of the front, even when Grazioli was still pushing forward his thrusts were directly toward Adis Abeba rather than to its west, the Abyssinians were unprepared for the storm that Grossi unleashed upon them despite their two trained infantry divisions being in the region.

014-05-SituationbyMidFebruary.jpg

The situation by the 20th of February.

Grossi’s offensive took not only the Abyssinians by surprise but the rest of the world as well. Talk in the backrooms of London quickly turned from wondering when the Abyssinians would march into Ed and Asmara to speculating on how quickly Abis Abeba would fall to the Italians. Italian newspapers hailed these victories to the heavens and, in compliance with their agreement with Mussolini, did not dig deeper to the question of why the war was still going. This suited Mussolini’s plans, as he did not want any distractions from pushing forward with his strategic ideas.

Does the Duce already have plans for the post-Ehtopian-affair period? Will he swap the regular units for Militias to have the better troops closer to Rome? Ethopia is a fairly undefendable country as it is, especially once hostilites with other colonial powers start. Something which is fairly inevitable if you want to reconstruct the Roman empire.

btw, are the Italian Units fielding standarts with SPQR on them? ;)

I find Il Duce is more and more turning into Mr. Blofeld :D I bet he's sitting Rome, stroking a cat and planning more masterminded villainy...

As always Myth, a good update.

Ahh, at last some offensive Action! Grossi seems to have turned the situation around! Hopefully the supply situation is good enough for the offensive to last to Addis Abbaba!

Good update.:)

Ah, small victories, better than none. :D
Italy, beating Abyssinia, slowly but steadfastly. :cool:
It looks to happen really slowly from my point of view. :rolleyes:

What about driving straight to Addis Ababa?

In the reorganization of your forces, you go from XXXXXX (theater) to army level XXXX, then corps XXX. Did you consider placing an army group level XXXXX HQ in between theater and army level? Wouldn't that add a bonus? (according to the HOI3 wiki: "Army Group: Improve logistics")

Very good, Myth. Lesson being that the AI works better with a manageable force composition and supply situation?

Vann

Ooooh, good update! Finally the world sees true power being resonated by the forces of the Italians. Inquiring minds want to know how much longer this campaign will take though before this land becomes an Italian colony...

Baltasar: I've not yet decided what to do with Abyssinia. It's something that'll have to evolve with the capabilities of the Italian armed forces and the geostrategic realities of the growing Italian Empire. And they must have the SPQR standards. :p

Dakk: He probably is sitting in Rome with a cat, even though Mussolini was actually a cat hater! :eek: Also, thanks! :D

Maj. von Mauser: Indeed, the signs are pretty encouraging so far. Thanks! :D

Enewald: Actually, given Abyssinia's difficult terrain and poor infrastructure, two provinces in 18 days is pretty good. As for driving directly on Adis Abeba, Grossi decided not to so for some reasons. Given that the war is still being directed by the AI, Grossi's actually doing quite well. Remember also that he's on attack rather than blitzkrieg, I wanted to see how it works out. :p

gunboat: I think I mentioned in another comment but I don't quite know all the specific hierarchy effects yet, and which go together with which level. At the time of reorg I was actually under the impression that it was theater that helped with logistics. It probably would have helped, but it's a bit late for that now. Besides, as shown, my logistical situation came under control anyway. :p

Vann the Red: Actually, now that that stage of the war has passed, I think I can safely (if shamefacedly) say that I think it was all my fault. 'Cause I twiddled with Grazioli's settings a bit, including removing the AI setting and then putting it back on, after the initial spurt of conquest. I only realized when I was doing Grossi's settings that defensive is the default stance. I think (but amn't sure) that for seven or eight months Grazioli was set to defensive. :eek:o Oops. :p

Jorath13: Yep, finally there's progress being made! Given my admission just above though, I think it's arguable what caused this sudden progress. As for inquiring minds, they'll just have to wait until the relevant update. ;)

I'll have an update for tomorrow evening, folks!