• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sinname

Captain
Sep 25, 2014
Good morning everyone :)
I've made that thread to talk about expansions and DLC of Cities: Skyline (our ideas).
I know, I know the game is still on alpha and it's precipitate talk about this now but some people has already written its suggestions.
So I thought that a thread for that was appropriate.

Some of my ideas:

. Seasons and their events: weather and celebrations like Christmas, carnival, tourism at summer to the beach... (I talked about this in another thread).

. Old good times: classical buildings, trams and other vehicles ( Lisbon trams, please!), cobblestone streets... You know what i mean.
Devs want to make it a reality, I think so. This will be, in my opinion, the best expansion because I love classic stuff, buildings, art, clothes, cars...
There could be different architectural styles in this expansion too. European (Paris, Lisbon, Berlin, Venice, Prague, Barcelona, Florence, Roma...),
Latin American (Colonial cities like Cartagena de Indias, for example) ,North American ( Chicago, New York, San Francisco...),
Asian ( San Petersburgo, Macau, Shanghai and others) African too, like Marrakech and Oceanian like Sidney.
Those are only examples I know there are too much, but if I have to choose I prefer Europe.

What do you think? What ideas do you have?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would love regional building style and terrain sets to be released as DLC and chosen before starting a game to extend city variety for longer and give players more options.

I think the DLC should either be cosmetic or be a fairly substantial expansion to the base game (akin to Rush Hour). I would not like to see individual or bundled functional (for example utility buildings or whatever) buildings. They either have the tendency to be OP versions of things we already have because people are paying for them or they'll add functionality that could have been in the base game but wasn't. I don't like the idea of either of these. Although I don't mind real expansion packs that add functionality to the base game along with buildings to support that.

i would like to see big farming DLC, or maybe ski resort DLC.

Or basically any DLC, that has the potential, to make a city different and unique compared to other (regular) cities. Tourism comes to mind, so do various other one-resource based cities.

I'd rather see that they use the Europa Universalis model.

All additional functioning in larger expansion packs and smaller graphical (new buildings) additions in DLCs.

I'd rather see that they use the Europa Universalis model.

All additional functioning in larger expansion packs and smaller graphical (new buildings) additions in DLCs.

CK2/EUIV are pretty much our "role models" when it comes to how we're planning post release content. Pack free together with paid :)

CK2/EUIV are pretty much our "role models" when it comes to how we're planning post release content. Pack free together with paid :)
I have a nice suggestion for what to do with DLC packs. Since many people who already have paid for the game, dislike the idea of releasing more content through dlc packs, while other people want more dlc packs. This is such a conflict that will remain unsolved. For this, I have a nice idea on how to solve. When releasing DLC packs, have multiple payment methods, like BTC, LTC, Adf.ly, Adfoc, etc. Many people, especially young people who are under the legal age to own a credit card will play the game, and when they have already paid for it and then want to pay for dlc, it wouldn't be easy considering that their parents and/or caretakers would be unhappy with them for having to pay stuff to them all the time. That's why there should be multiple payment methods, so everyone can get dlc packs if they want.

The problem with DLC/Expansion dichotomy wouldn't be such if DLCs were sold separately and in packs for a slightly cheaper price at the same time.

. Old good times: classical buildings, trams and other vehicles ( Lisbon trams, please!), cobblestone streets... You know what i mean.
Devs want to make it a reality, I think so. This will be, in my opinion, the best expansion because I love classic stuff, buildings, art, clothes, cars...
There could be different architectural styles in this expansion too. European (Paris, Lisbon, Berlin, Venice, Prague, Barcelona, Florence, Roma...),
Latin American (Colonial cities like Cartagena de Indias, for example) ,North American ( Chicago, New York, San Francisco...),
Asian ( San Petersburgo, Macau, Shanghai and others) African too, like Marrakech and Oceanian like Sidney.
Those are only examples I know there are too much, but if I have to choose I prefer Europe.

Definitely up for this

What do you think? What ideas do you have?

I'd much rather focus on the core of the game before thinking too much about DLC/Expansion. To me, new gameplay additions/QOL changes > aesthetics in importance. Aesthetics can always be modded in easily post-release, so I would rather have the developers focus on content that will expand the choices and detail in the game. Anyways, here are some of the things I'd like to see (If they don't already exist):

• Road Trams for single road transport
  • Subways for bulk easy city travelling
  • More diversity in water utility buildings (Desalination Reverse-osmosis plants if near an ocean/salt water etc.)
  • More Energy Generation Variety (Hydro, geothermal, Nuclear Variety (PBMR, BWR, PWR) with exaggerated pros/cons for gameplay choices)
  • More Education Variety (Private, Public, Colleges with specific educations in mind (College of hairdressing - more hair salons to be built in commercial areas, College of music - more music theatres to appear etc.)
  • University Funding (Influence the university's faculties with funding eg. more money to engineering causes a larger engineering faculty and thus more engineers etc.)
  • More Gameplay Changing Recreational Buildings (Public swimming pools attract families with larger amounts of children to live nearby, causing schools to be more effective in the area etc.)
  • More Road Variety (Circles, more lanes, roads with cyclist lanes, roads with bus lanes)
  • Addition of traffic cops in police department (set up strategic road traps after an event to prevent alcohol-related accidents, speed traps for speeding etc. This raises police expense, but lowers hospital usage and happiness of protesters)
  • Addition of farmlands (Small, effective crops to lower cost of food and allow the raising the taxes further)

I have many ideas, but went blank while typing this. I'll add the ones I can remember later.

My idea for an expansion pack:
Cities: Skylines Through the Eras

Play through 200 years of urban planning history spanning from 1850 to 2050:
  • Develop your city from a pretty little Victorian town into a sprawling megalopolis
  • Unlock more possibilities as technology progresses with time
  • In the beginning, you can only zone low-density, build limited road types, have lower-tech city utilities, city services have less coverage.
  • By the end, you can zone very high density (building both upwards and underground?), build advanced roads (self-driving vehicle infrastructure?), future-tech city utilities (nuclear fusion? green tech?), city services have more coverage (because of drones?)

My idea for a DLC:
Cities: Skylines of the East

Take on the unique challenges of planning for an ever-expanding population within a limited piece of land:
  • Start with premade cities with big populations and high-density zoning with a little precious extra land left
  • How do you make the most of the remaining land? Build more roads to ease congestion, and you have less space for housing. Zone everywhere high-density too fast, and your transport systems will be strained. And where does all this leave land for parks and recreation?
  • Maps inspired by Singapore and Hong Kong with ploppable famous landmarks (e.g. Marina Bay Sands, Singapore Flyer)
  • Consistently high RCI demand
  • Small islands

My idea for an expansion pack:
Cities: Skylines Through the Eras

Play through 200 years of urban planning history spanning from 1850 to 2050:
  • Develop your city from a pretty little Victorian town into a sprawling megalopolis
  • Unlock more possibilities as technology progresses with time
  • In the beginning, you can only zone low-density, build limited road types, have lower-tech city utilities, city services have less coverage.
  • By the end, you can zone very high density (building both upwards and underground?), build advanced roads (self-driving vehicle infrastructure?), future-tech city utilities (nuclear fusion? green tech?), city services have more coverage (because of drones?)

Would be funny having to deal with the old infrastructure in a modern city. Boston comes to mind

Many good ideas here :)

An expansion like through the Eras could be AMAZING, I would buy it without thinking twice haha
I can't wait!
Does someone know when the game will be finished (more or less)?

so does that mean we should expect DLC's that push the time back. I would love to go back to feudal times, creating dirt paths and peasant hovels. Or Better yet, push it back to roman times and really create and urban, messy sprawl complete with volcanoes, barbarians at the gates, and stabbing political figures. :p

Going back in time aren't exactly DLC-type of changes. That would require a totally new game since it would require a completely new set of buildings and a very different way that the engine works.

They should just spend all their efforts at making an awesome modern day city-builder instead.

Expansions that gives us the ability to re-create old city centers and older architectural designs, yes. That's one of the main features that I'd like to see added later on too. But it should not change the whole game to that era.