Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations - Dev Diary 10: Balance Changes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh well, whatever changes in the units/technology, at least they are moddable.

The AI improvements are most welcome, as always.

I say this yet again: Using diplomatic score for a wide range of purposes, from creating a royal marriage with a new partner to researching new ship rigging to diploannexin now, is grossly unrealistic and disbalancing.

BTW early colonizers should get an advantage, otherwise what's the motive to be the first colonizing power?

You don't say? And it took only a mere 8 months after game release for this feeling to accumulate.

You do surely get an advantage from being an early colonizer. I'm in a Brittany run, I'm a 6 provinces minor and get half my income from trade, because trade is still not really pushed in Wetern nodes, to collecting in America makes me rich even with no light ships there... Then, being early means colonizing highest BT; honestly, colonizing late isn't that appealing when it still costs as much to colonize a 2 BT grain VS a 6 BT tobaco. Now at least we might see some Norway CN and some more French as well instead of just everything Iberian. Plus Kurlandish CN... :D

No. Units being equal means they're equal on the same tech level... Western units at tech 20 are better than Indian at tech 12. Previously it was a double penalty for slower tech groups, as they both had slower tech and worse units at the same tech level.

Does this mean that when indians reach tech 12 they receive some fictional variant of a tercio unit that didn't even remotely exist?

2. AI countries that expand (or at least - that tend to expand) their colonies in those regions and provinces into which they really did.
I highly doubt Paradox will do this. That would take all randomness away from colonisation, and it seems like people don't like this kind of determinism.

Eastern Units are nearly on par with Western in the end game. The difference between the top Western and top Eastern infantry is like two pips (total).
That's exactly what I'm talking about: 2 extra pips to counter, while previously after westernizing it was 0 (apparently).

Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited about 1.6 - it looks like the greatest patch ever. Just that some things and concepts still look half-baked. Like the neccesity to get behind by 8 techs before westernizing, for instance.

What an amazing amount of really great changes! I'm a bit overwhelmed. Impressive work everyone!

How moddable will the Administrative Efficiency bonus be? Will it be possible to mod in additional ways to gain or lose bonuses? For example, add a player bonus on Easy Difficulty, and a player malus on Very Hard?

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm talking about: 2 extra pips to counter, while previously after westernizing it was 0 (apparently).

Don't get me wrong, I'm SUPER excited about 1.6 - it looks like the greatest patch ever. Just that some things and concepts still look half-baked. Like the neccesity to get behind by 8 techs before westernizing, for instance.
Do you know how many pips it was before you westernised? The difference is big. 2 pips is almost nothing, and you probably won't even notice the difference. Russia has so much manpower and so high forcelimit that they can beat anyone, especially now that discipline was nerfed.

I really like all of this.

Is it possible to mod it so that some tradegoods be affected differently by the scaling of production with basetax? i.e. have fur and only fur have the same output in basetax 1 and basetax 10 provinces (makes sense to me that you'd get more fur from the wilderness than a city, unless you're harvesting squirrel pelts).

Last edited:
Do you know how many pips it was before you westernised? The difference is big. 2 pips is almost nothing, and you probably won't even notice the difference. Russia has so much manpower and so high forcelimit that they can beat anyone, especially now that discipline was nerfed.
I always westernized, so no, I don't.

That's the difference that stacks up with the following bonuses: unit combat ability (Russia has 0), morale (again 0), discipline (0 yet again). Discipline now affects your own casualities, so it's not nerfed.

I don't understand why there are still some proponents of the idea that there should be a whopping ONE military-oriented country in the game, that relies *entirely* on numbers, and that country being Russia, not Ming or some Hordes. Mind-boggling stuff!

Does this mean that when indians reach tech 12 they receive some fictional variant of a tercio unit that didn't even remotely exist?
Actually, currently, at tech 12, India already gets infantry that's pretty similar to Tercios.

Western:
Tercio: Off. Morale: 4/Def. Morale: 6/Off. Fire: 3/Def. Fire: 3/Off. Shock: 2/Def. Shock: 3/Total :21
Free Shooter: Off. Morale: 6/Def. Morale: 3/Off. Fire: 0/Def. Fire: 3/Off. Shock: 4/Def. Shock: 3/Total: 18

Indian:
Akharid Musketeers: Off. Morale: 5/Def. Morale: 3/Off. Fire: 4/ Def. Fire: 3/Off. Shock: 3/Def. Shock: 2/Total: 20
South Indian Infantry: Off. Morale: 4/Def. Morale: 3/Off. Fire: 4/ Def. Fire: 2/Off. Shock: 4/Def. Shock: 2/Total: 19

So from a pips perspective, not much should change at tech 12, though apparently, Indian tech 12 infantry are actually supposed to be slightly better than Tercios.

The way it's setup now is that you basically get parity at the same tech level, so Western tech level 12 units will be roughly equivalent to say, Indian tech level 12 units (Indian is actually somewhat better at that stage of the game but it's not a huge difference).
This actually has me wondering something: About when does each tech group "peak"?

Given the amount of questions regarding unit stat details, I'm just going to post a graph of the new spread of (total) pips for infantry, so you get the idea of how it works now.

graph.png

What an amazing amount of really great changes! I'm a bit overwhelmed. Impressive work everyone!

How moddable will the Administrative Efficiency bonus be? Will it be possible to mod in additional ways to gain or lose bonuses?

It will be a scripted bonus in tech, so you could for example make it so you get small increments of adm. efficiency across the entire game instead of a few big ones at the end, if you wanted to.