Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 8 - With God on Your Side?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One big question:

WILL THERE BE GREAT WESTERN SCHISM?

No, and there won't be T-34 eithers.

Its outside of the timeframe. The schism ended about 30 years before the start of the game.

So how easy is it to convert provinces, as compared to EU3?

No, and there won't be T-34 eithers.

Wow, I hope you guys aren't leaving the T-34s out just so you can sell them to us as DLC later. FYI, if you don't tell me that you're not going to sell them as DLC, I'm going to assume that's what you're going to do and make a lot of frustrated anti-DLC topics about this. :p

That's true, I certainly have never seen a thirty years war arise from it.
Have you never seen the Emperor use the 'Enforce Religious Unity' casus belli, only to trigger a cascading alliance against himself? That's basically all the 30YW would be in game terms. But maybe EU4 will have a DHE relating to it.

Unless I've missed something, there was no mention of excommunication and crusades for the Papacy. Are they still in the game, or have they been dropped? (I always thought they were a little bit anachronistic for the period, especially since EU4 will start 45 years later.)

No, and there won't be T-34 either.

Its outside of the timeframe. The schism ended about 30 years before the start of the game.

Heh. Great answer Johan. To clarify something you said earlier, is it correct that nations of different religions are no longer doomed to have permanent bad relations? So Nation A and Nation B may strategically cooperate against Nation C, even though A and B have different and indeed mutually antagonistic faiths?

Unless I've missed something, there was no mention of excommunication and crusades for the Papacy. Are they still in the game, or have they been dropped? (I always thought they were a little bit anachronistic for the period, especially since EU4 will start 45 years later.)

Agreed, with one proviso: Hypothetically, if a Muslim power were to capture Rome, I would hope there would be an all-out Christian reprisal. And vice-versa if a Christian power captured Mecca and/or Medina.

Heh. Great answer Johan. To clarify something you said earlier, is it correct that nations of different religions are no longer doomed to have permanent bad relations? So Nation A and Nation B may strategically cooperate against Nation C, even though A and B have different and indeed mutually antagonistic faiths?

yes.

Blargh! I don't disagree with the mechanic called Piety, but why call it that, if it isn't even supposed to be some measure of goodness? It just smacks of the idea that the only way to be a good Muslim is to be a luddite building pyramids of heretic skulls and smashed steam engine parts. Why not call it "Fervor" or something like that?

Nothing revolutionary but I think that with sliders gone - and missionaries being fixed at a certain number - that large-scale conversions should be much rarer now, or at least slower.

Nope, the second GREAT question is:

WILL THE MOON BE IN THE GAME?

I agree with the reservations on changes for Islam. A multi-religious ottoman empire should be at par in efficiency will a full converted one. it was only with the last avatars of EU3 that it what finally achievable: Ottoman Tolerance decision + humanist Tolerance NI + tolerance modifier for tax and stab in provinces.

Would it be possible if one chooses to adopt the Innovative path of ideas?