Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 35 - Alt for Norge!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Don't think so. It was a rather poor abstraction of the trade steering through the Sound they're doing now.

Is the Sound Toll still in? If so, how does it work?
I don’t know if EU4 will have a specific system in place in the Øresund, but we do know that province specific modifiers will be active on provinces sitting at important straits and river estuaries. So we will definitely have the Sound Toll simulated in a way.

I am guessing it will be a substantial bonus to Trading Power in Sjælland and Skåne. It could be the Island of Fyn is included since historically it was also part of the Sound Toll due to the Lille Bælt and Store Bælt Straits, although Paradox has kept it at 2 provinces in the EU series so far.

The Sound Toll historically played an important role for Denmark. Even after they had lost Skåne, Denmark maintained the Sound Toll thanks to its navy and fortifications on Sjælland.

Don't think so. It was a rather poor abstraction of the trade steering through the Sound they're doing now.

Huh, I assumed the inclusion of the Sound Toll was a given.
If not, I'll be pretty disappointed. The Sound Toll was what kept Denmark afloat (if you'll pardon the pun). Without it, I seriously doubt Denmark would have had any chance to keep on par with Sweden.

I would much rather have a proper representation of the Sound Toll, than the extra provinces they have added. The new trade system certainly would make it possible to do it justice, and I think it would be a missed opportunity if it wasn't done.

EDIT:
I am guessing it will be a substantial bonus to Trading Power in Sjælland and Skåne.

I hope it is not just this, seeing as this would still require some trading investment, which the toll really should be independent from.

Last edited:
The attacker has an "assault" button... is it reasonable to give the defender a "sally" or "sortie" option?

Edit: ...to take advantage of an attacker leaving only a token force to maintain the siege

The attacker has an "assault" button... is it reasonable to give the defender a "sally" or "sortie" option?

Edit: ...to take advantage of an attacker leaving only a token force to maintain the siege
The "token force" is required to be at least as large as the garrison.

Regarding the Sound Toll, it would be represented well, if a fixed percentage of the trade flowing through the Sound was given to Denmark. Unless trade more naturally flows by sea rather than by land it perhaps should be a fixed percentage of the trade going through the Lübeck node, since otherwise trade could just be steered through Holstein avoiding the Sound Toll; this did not happen in history, at least not on a large scale, so it should not be possible in the game.

Regarding the Sound Toll, it would be represented well, if a fixed percentage of the trade flowing through the Sound was given to Denmark. Unless trade more naturally flows by sea rather than by land it perhaps should be a fixed percentage of the trade going through the Lübeck node, since otherwise trade could just be steered through Holstein avoiding the Sound Toll; this did not happen in history, at least not on a large scale, so it should not be possible in the game.

I agree, but it should be limited to trade flowing to Lübeck node from North Sea node and from Lübeck node to Antwerp node. Wien, Frankfurt and Baltic Sea --> Lübeck should not be charged Sound Toll (in any case, all that money will go to Antwerp anyway as there is no other outlet for Lübeck).

This will literally allow Denmark to have their cake and eat it... if money stays in Lübeck, they will get it because that is their home node (although, severe competition from Hansa there) if it goes to Antwerp, they will get a cut via the Sound Toll.

I agree, but it should be limited to trade flowing to Lübeck node from North Sea node and from Lübeck node to Antwerp node. Wien, Frankfurt and Baltic Sea --> Lübeck should not be charged Sound Toll (in any case, all that money will go to Antwerp anyway as there is no other outlet for Lübeck).

This will literally allow Denmark to have their cake and eat it... if money stays in Lübeck, they will get it because that is their home node (although, severe competition from Hansa there) if it goes to Antwerp, they will get a cut via the Sound Toll.

I agree that only the trade coming from the North Sea and the trade going to Antwerp should be subject to the Toll - somehow I had got the idea that the only routes to Lübeck was coming from the North Sea.

Does the fort image in the siege screen change acording to fort level/starting tech group?

Okay, nice dd. I'm wondering why didn't the dev describe Norway& Denmark along with Sweden. Scandinavian rivals bias ? ;)

Okay, nice dd. I'm wondering why didn't the dev describe Norway& Denmark along with Sweden. Scandinavian rivals bias ? ;)
To be fair to the Devs, it seems they have finally taken the step and made Denmark an actual rival to Sweden. In the previous incarnations of the game, if left to the AI, Sweden would crush Denmark 9 out of 10 times. Now it seems more like a fifty fifty true rivalry.
AI Norway will probably not be doing much, but a player could make it interesting.