EUIV - Quick Questions / Quick Answers

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How does a Colonist travel. All I can see is that you have a colonist, you click 'Send' on the colony's home screen and off the colonist goes. Doesn't seem to be any requirement to put him on a ship, he just somehow gets there on his own. Is this how it works i.e. the colonist uses their steam to reach the colony and not one of their own navies ships?
The colonist will reach the target province under its own steam.

You can see the colonist's/colony's progress by left-clicking on the relevant province.

Reactions:
Another quick question, this time about ZoC (Zone of Control) and Forts. According to the brilliant EU IV Wiki if you enter a province under the ZoC of an adjacent enemy Fort you have two ways to go:

1. Back to the province from where you came i.e. away from the Fort
2. Into the province with the Fort

i.e. take the Fort on or run away!

What then happens is you take option 2 i.e. you go into the Fort province but choose not to siege, or end the siege before completion. According to the above rule, it would seem there is only one option for exiting - the way you came in. If you then did that can you keep going further away from the Fort i.e. back to a province outside ZoC?

Another quick question, this time about ZoC (Zone of Control) and Forts. According to the brilliant EU IV Wiki if you enter a province under the ZoC of an adjacent enemy Fort you have two ways to go:

1. Back to the province from where you came i.e. away from the Fort
2. Into the province with the Fort

i.e. take the Fort on or run away!

What then happens is you take option 2 i.e. you go into the Fort province but choose not to siege, or end the siege before completion. According to the above rule, it would seem there is only one option for exiting - the way you came in. If you then did that can you keep going further away from the Fort i.e. back to a province outside ZoC?

Zone of Control is one of the least well understood mechanics of the game with countless threads highlighting how the AI cheats or how ZoC is broken so take everything you read about it with a pinch of salt.

That said, essentially you are right. If you move out of the ZoC then you are free to go anywhere that you have military access to unless you are now in the ZoC of another fort. When your unit is selected you can see which provinces you cannot move to (I think there is a small red cross on them), which provinces you can move to but are within the ZoC of an enemy fort (a small circle on the map) and which provinces are not in any zone of control (these have no overlay).

Reactions:
Zone of Control is one of the least well understood mechanics of the game with countless threads highlighting how the AI cheats or how ZoC is broken so take everything you read about it with a pinch of salt.

So far the EU IV Wiki has not let me down. A fantastic resource for new players :)

Just one follow-up. The Wiki says:

AI ZoC: If the AI can enter a province legit in any way it will always use the shortest way ignoring the ZoC.

This implies it does cheat ZoC, or am I reading that wrong?

Reactions:
So far the EU IV Wiki has not let me down. A fantastic resource for new players :)

Just one follow-up. The Wiki says:

This implies it does cheat ZoC, or am I reading that wrong?

The Developers have repeatedly said on this forum that the AI does not cheat with ZoC and anything that the AI can do can also be done by the player. On the other hand, players regularly report seeing the AI do things that they don't think it should be able to do and assert that as proof of cheating. But, I know myself that I have found my units can move to places where I didn't think they could go and if I had seen the AI makes the moves that I found I could do I would have been surprised.

I realise that is something of a politician's answer but I am trying to be fair to both points of view as there has been no definitive statement (that I am aware of) from a Developer saying that the AI does cheat.

Reactions:
The Developers have repeatedly said on this forum that the AI does not cheat with ZoC and anything that the AI can do can also be done by the player.

Ok, I'm happy to believe that. Just slightly confused by the quote I copied from the Wiki about the AI ignoring ZoC.

As an aside, is the Wiki run by Paradox i.e. it isn't some fan's opinion, it's the way the game works?

Ok, I'm happy to believe that. Just slightly confused by the quote I copied from the Wiki about the AI ignoring ZoC.

As an aside, is the Wiki run by Paradox i.e. it isn't some fan's opinion, it's the way the game works?

The Wiki is supported by Paradox but it is not official Paradox output. It is player made and curated, I think, by @Meneth who can probably tell you a bit more about that than I can.

Reactions:
The Wiki is supported by Paradox but it is not official Paradox output. It is player made and curated, I think, by @Meneth who can probably tell you a bit more about that than I can.
The wikis are owned by Paradox, and administrated by me.
The content is largely written by players. It is usually accurate (though can often be potentially outdated, in which case the article/section will be clearly marked as such).
Though since it is largely player-written, it is indeed from time to time wrong.
If you encounter a claim on the wikis you believe to be wrong, feel free to correct it with a source in your edit summary (E.G., a link to a dev post, or a description of where in the game files it can be found). If it can't be sourced, it is generally better to mark the claim as "verification needed"; this can be done with the "sup" template:
{{sup|Why the claim might be wrong, or simply "verification needed|the claim in the text}}

Hope that helps. If anyone has any further questions, make sure to highlight me (using "@Meneth") or quote me. I don't normally follow this thread, so otherwise I'm unlikely to see your post.

Reactions:
Are Netherland separatist rebels still a thing in 1.18?

It's now 1608, Austria holds the low countries (from the BI), and I haven't seen hide nor hare of any rebels. Playing as France, I've been anxiously awaiting those guys appearance, so that I can laugh at Austria!

Without "cheating" and closing/opening the game to trigger a diplomacy switch around is there any way to stop a rival from supporting independence in my vassal?

I'm playing Brandenburg aiming to form Prussia and have vasellised the Teutonic Order. I was reducing their disloyalty after force vasellising when England rivalled me and supported their independence. Regardless of +200 relations and numerous placating rulers etc they stay at 100% Liberty desire due to having 237% my strength due to the support independence treaty.

I set my attitude towards England to friendly, improved relations and gifted my way to to +50 relations with them with them and got the Teutonic Orders opinion to +200, but they've insisted on remaining my rival and supporting this independence for nearly thirty years now.

Without "cheating" and closing/opening the game to trigger a diplomacy switch around is there any way to stop a rival from supporting independence in my vassal?

I'm playing Brandenburg aiming to form Prussia and have vasellised the Teutonic Order. I was reducing their disloyalty after force vasellising when England rivalled me and supported their independence. Regardless of +200 relations and numerous placating rulers etc they stay at 100% Liberty desire due to having 237% my strength due to the support independence treaty.

I set my attitude towards England to friendly, improved relations and gifted my way to to +50 relations with them with them and got the Teutonic Orders opinion to +200, but they've insisted on remaining my rival and supporting this independence for nearly thirty years now.

You need to go to war with anybody supporting them (and win the war) so that you can end the support. Once the support has gone, spend prestige if you have to so that you can bring their Liberty Desire down below 50% and they should remain loyal as they will not enter into another support independence treaty unless they are already disloyal.

You need to go to war with anybody supporting them (and win the war) so that you can end the support. Once the support has gone, spend prestige if you have to so that you can bring their Liberty Desire down below 50% and they should remain loyal as they will not enter into another support independence treaty unless they are already disloyal.

That sounds bloody inconvenient. You'd think after supporting independence for several decades and the Teutons doing nothing about it, while both countries have positive relations with me theyd give up

That sounds bloody inconvenient. You'd think after supporting independence for several decades and the Teutons doing nothing about it, while both countries have positive relations with me theyd give up

If England have you as a rival then how have you got relations to positive? That sounds unlikely with normal modifiers at play.

If England have you as a rival then how have you got relations to positive? That sounds unlikely with normal modifiers at play.

He's probably referencing the Teutons subject there, not England rivals.

Maxed out improve relations, enemy of enemy bonus, same religion, gifts. Took some effort but it was floating between +25 and +50 depending on events, economics etc.

He's probably referencing the Teutons subject there, not England rivals.

Nope, rival England. I think I was rivalled by virtue of the fact I was the only eligible target, other than the rival malus there were no negative relations modifiers and a few positive ones which meant with effort improving relations, gifts etc I could drag it into the green

Maxed out improve relations, enemy of enemy bonus, same religion, gifts. Took some effort but it was floating between +25 and +50 depending on events, economics etc.

Then they might unrival you on a reload or if they lose a big war to someone else but that doesn't guarantee they'll stop supporting your vassal's independence. Maybe go to war with one of their allies if that will be easier and quicker?

Then they might unrival you on a reload or if they lose a big war to someone else but that doesn't guarantee they'll stop supporting your vassal's independence. Maybe go to war with one of their allies if that will be easier and quicker?

A reload sorted the problem, they rivalled Denmark instead and withdrew the support independence, just feels a bit gamey to solve the problem that way. I half wanted them to just declare the independence war because I'd have curb stomped them and ended the problem in short order.

I just watched Marco Antonio's Ottoman record breaker WC on YouTube where he used a "overseas" strategy for conquering all of Asia. Once he did that he moved his capital to India (reasonably), but then he also got rid of all provinces in Anatolia and Europe in order to use the same strategy but this time for Europe. According to the Wiki, an oversea province is the one where the capital is not on the same continent and if a province is not directly connected to the main land.

So my question is why did he sold and liberated all the land in EU and Anatolia? Wouldn't it be enough to just move the capital to any place other than Europe? Why getting rid of the territory ? In case you don't understand what happened there, he had a small vassal Aq Qunly if I remember correctly that severed the link between Anatolia and literally everything on the east from that point.

Last edited:
I just watched Marco Antonio's Ottoman record breaker WC on YouTube where he used a "overseas" strategy for conquering all of Asia. Once he did that he moved his capital to India (reasonably), but then he also got rid of all provinces in Anatolia and Europe in order to use the same strategy but this time for Europe. According to the Wiki, an oversea province is the one where the capital is not on the same continent and if a province is not directly connected to the main land.

So my question is why did he sold and liberated all the land in EU and Anatolia? Wouldn't it be enough to just move the capital to any place other than Europe? Why getting rid of the territory ? In case you don't understand what happened there, he had a small vassal Aq Qunly if I remember correctly that severed the link between Anatolia and literally everything on the east from that point.
It used to be that in order to move your capital to another continent, it had to be the last province you owned in that continent. Thus, to move his capital to India, he had to get rid of all his other European holdings.

Note that with Patch 1.16, States and Territories have replaced the "distant overseas" feature that he was using for reduced coring costs.

Reactions: