• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, and welcome to a new era of EU4 development, where we’ll have development diaries talking about what we are doing almost every week.

One of the criticism we’ve had regarding EU4, have been that the game has always premiered conquest, and if you didn’t expand, you fell behind. In the next major update, you’ll be able to make an empire that is more focused on tall than on wide. After all, it is just common sense of us to listen to what the community is requesting.

Most of you are familiar with the concept of base tax. This permeates the game at so many fundamental levels, with everything from forcelimits to coring costs being coupled to this. We also had a value in a province that was called manpower. Trade-Goods produced was arcanely connected to the basetax, and there is not a single human being that could calculate how much manpower in a province actually

Now we have 3 separate values in a province called Base Tax, Base Production & Base Manpower.

Base Tax affects your monthly tax income as before, and also increases your defence against hostile spies.

Base Production impacts the amount of trade-goods produced in the province, and how quickly ships gets build in the province.

Each level of base manpower increased your nations maximum manpower by 250, and also impacts the garrison growth in the province, and how quickly regiments is recruited in that province.

All of them together is called “Development”, which describes how heavily populated and built up the province is. Each level of development increases the supply limit, forcelimits for your armies and navies and makes it harder to converts its religion.

Finally, the development level also allows you to be able to build more buildings in that province.

Wait?

What am I talking about here? Well, first of all, we have reduced the amount of possible buildings, as a large part were fillers. Secondly, we removed the power-cost for building buildings. And finally, not every province can have the same amount of buildings. Currently, a province can have 1 building as default, with some terrains like desert or mountains reducing it by 1, and some increasing it, like farmlands. And, every 10 development allows another building slot in a province. So Paris may be able to have 6 buildings in 1444, while Figuig can not support a single building.

Now you say that we haven’t really talked that much about wide versus tall, but bear with me.

You will be able to spend adm, dip or mil power to increase base tax, production and manpower respectively in a province, where of course the cost keep increasing, but if you dream about a 20 base tax Dublin, then you can do that :) Doing this in deserts or arctic climate is far more expensive than doing it in better climates. The ideas that affected build power costs, now affects the cost of improving your province. There is also technologies that decrease the cost of improving development in the later half of the game.

SgIW348.jpg

Here’s the example of a few buildings in the game.

Marketplace - Dip4 - +2 Trade Power - 50 gold
Barracks - Mil 6 - +25% Manpower - 50 gold
Cathedral - Adm 19 - +3% Missionary Strength & +40% Tax Income - 200 gold
Stock Exchange - Dip 22 - +100% Trade Power - 400 gold
Town Hall -Adm 22 -5 Local Unrest - 400 g

Next week, we’ll talk a little about something that fits England very well..

Will there be a way to develop provincial values to turn previously poor provinces into richer ones? Or are they preset and there is no way to affect them, unless you get an event?

PS: nevermind, I've just finished reading the post and feeling stupid now. Oh well.

Reactions:
Will it be possible to transform certain terrain into others as that was pretty fundamental in development especially in Europe?

Reactions:
Will development descrease because of events, wars, war exhaution, sieges, etc.?
This - will there be events to decrease development in prolonged wars and if a province is sieged for a long time?

This could properly simulate the downfall of hungarian lands because of the austro-ottoman wars, so hungary wouldn't need to start so poor.

Reactions:
Some questions that remain after the thread in the old forums:

1. What's the button top-left next to capital and trade port?
  2. What's the check-box in the military section above the fort image?
  3. What's the deal with the 10k garrison?
Did I forget anything?

Reactions:
Some questions that remain after the thread in the old forums:

1. What's the button top-left next to capital and trade port?
  2. What's the check-box in the military section above the fort image?
  3. What's the deal with the 10k garrison?
Did I forget anything?
Will war degrade provinces?

Reactions:
Great additions! Ever since the Art of War (in a lesser extent Res Publica) EU4 has been getting better and better, more indepth with more flavour and mechanics. Changes to core mechanics have been done, and even if some things went wrong (as they always do IRL) you adressed them faster than ever before and listened to almost every concern and suggestion about the game. These changes are a great step on the way! But this diary was honestly more a big teaser than anything else. :p The presumed loot bar, the potential for industrialization, parliaments and garrisons aswell as forts are making things very interesting. Hopefully espionage amongst other things will also be adressed by the next patch. Unique building's effects aswell as manufactures should also be kept in one way or another, being used by this or another system. Same for unique stuff for other cultures outside of Europe.

I do dislike the new flag of Sweden, but is most easily modded out. ;)

Andy_Dandy;19116478 said:
Hopefully income gets a balance in general now, because how it works today I'm so filty rich arround the first half of the 1600's that the game dies arround that point (for me at least). I'm also drowning in Monarch Points, even though all my provinces are completely built out, also with factories.

Will be interesting to see what's in store for us.
Well, drowning in monarch points is just pure luck. How can you be drowning in them while having ideas and keep up with technologies? Stability, reducing war exhaustion (rarely), coring, vassals and everything always get me short on them. Either you are lucky, have a different playstyle to mine or you don't play the game efficiently. I can never enact any policies for instance, I never have enough points to do so.

Me_;19117843 said:
I'm not sure anyone noticed, but garrison 10000? Has siege warfare been changed?
Yes, we noticed (or atleast I did), and it has most likely been changed. Longer sieges, more dramatic sorties? "Storing" armies in forts? I know Arumba asked for some mechanic to automate sieges in his latest adjustement video, and Wiz answered that it would be adressed/changed anyway, or something on those lines.

ChildeR;19117877 said:
It's the capital so it could just be a garrison bonus in the capital.
Seems a bit awkward to do something so simple when this could be a step forward for the big three: historicity, dynamism and gameplay! A such arbitrary bonus would also conflict with other design decisions.

spinoza013;19117986 said:
Have I missed an Arumba adjustment video? I saw the first two.
Not automating, but stacking up planned sieges after finishing them, if you want it more exactly. I'm not sure how many he has done (3 or 2), but if I remember correctly this was the one from Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions:
This sounds very interesting, and good job listening to your players. This will give us many more things to do and offers new possibilities.

Things this will do for us:
1.) Smaller nations will now have a chance and won't be gobbled up now
2.) Natives will now have something to do
3.) Monarch Points will be better put to use
4.) We will be able to build more buildings

The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not the AI will be able to do these things. Any big changes that add new features or edit existing ones means the AI has to be tweaked..

Last edited:
Reactions:
I was not anticipating such a dramatic overhaul of the Europa Series before V

Reactions:
I would say please put any changes in EU5!
PDX changes this game faster than I can play it. It is a pity that all manuals are obsolete. Some features I get only by hap. For example the gold mines in oversea: In v1.7.3 I got a 75% penalty on all provinces in overseas. In v1.10.1 I discovered by hap that gold-mine provinces do not suffer from this penalty. It is a pity for my latest game. I can not change my strategy on it. It is too late. I have to play a new game.

Reactions:
Let us see how it works in reality. I have the fear that it could lead to absurd situation like HRE-OPMs or Natives sitting all on 25 BT province.

Reactions:
So this might already have been discussed in the previous thread, but considering that we've been hit by a cataclysm here's the question, how will that affect manufactories?

Reactions:
I wanted to post on the old forum but I didn't want to be hit by the forum post purge.
Anway, this looks very interesting. However, to make it truly exciting I hope that this DLC or another DLC comes with some interactivity during peace time.

The reason we're so enthralled by wars is that we have to pay careful attention to where are our armies are, what they're doing, how our cash and manpower are doing. And we have to do this at a reasonably alert pace.

During peace time, there's no interaction during most actions. Diplomats, missionaries, buildings, etc. are passive.

Of course, I understand that adding a lot of extra interaction would cause an overload during war time. That's why I'd add extra actions during peace time, things that would be dialed down during wars. Call it cheating if you will, but it would help game play.

Reactions:
Johan, update your signature links. The posts are good information, but they're referencing the old forum. :)

For clarification's sake since the question WILL come up, how the hell do you do that with this new forum?

Reactions: