Equipment manufacturing - localised or not?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wisecat

Captain
71 Badges
Oct 31, 2005
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Does the game take into account which particular factory is tasked with producing which particular equipment?
If yes then:
How is equipment shipment - the stage when it has to get from a factory to a division mustering ground - handled?
Is it always instant or does the state of infrastructure matter? Can I slow down formation of enemy div's by bombing their infra?
Also, what happens if part of a country is cut off? Suppose I play as SOV and my AA is produced in Leningrad. Then attackers encircle the city breaking communications with the rest of the country. What will happen to equipment made there?

Reactions:
From what it seems is that factories are located in areas but as soon as an item is made it enters your countries pool of equipment.

Reactions:
Equipment is not produced in a particular location. If a factory is damaged, it is taken out from the lowest-priority item the enemy is producing. AFAIK, transfer to the equipment reserve is instant and I don't think it is possible to prevent equipment getting to units before they are deployed. Once they are deployed, new equipment has to get to them through the supply system, so that is vulnerable to infrastructure damage.

Reactions:
I wonder about that too. From what we have seen so far, it does not matter.

But I think equipment produced in Africa should not end up in the UK without being shipped by convoys and thus possibly intercepted. Same with civilian production (i.e. building forts and such.)

Reactions:
But I think equipment produced in Africa should not end up in the UK without being shipped by convoys and thus possibly intercepted. Same with civilian production (i.e. building forts and such.)

I agree it's not ideal, but there doesn't seem to be any such thing as "equipment produced in Africa", since there is no localization. Frankly I think they just wanted to avoid the giant headache of having the user specify the factories for each production line, and tracking how it would all get where it was needed.

Reactions:
I agree it's not ideal, but there doesn't seem to be any such thing as "equipment produced in Africa", since there is no localization. Frankly I think they just wanted to avoid the giant headache of having the user specify the factories for each production line, and tracking how it would all get where it was needed.
I can see the reasons too, but I think it's still a bit of a shame. If you manage to surround/isolate a region, the enemy shouldn't be able to create division there with equipment from other places. Similarly, you should be able to cut off the UK from their resources (which I am not sure you can) for production.

That's just something that's really important for the strategy you choose.

Reactions:
Resources have to be shipped with convoys to the capital in order to be used by factories. So yes you can cut UK from his resources in India or other colonies.

Yes. And since resources are useless until they've been converted into equipment, it's a reasonable abstraction to say that 'the tax on delivery' has already been paid by losses to your convoys.

As a side note to the location thing, although there's no 'this factory in Hamburg makes trucks,' the system does remember which factories have made what in the past, and can therefore auto-allocate new lines in the most efficient way; at least, a dev said this long ago and it may or may not be true anymore.

Does the game take into account which particular factory is tasked with producing which particular equipment?
If yes then:
How is equipment shipment - the stage when it has to get from a factory to a division mustering ground - handled?
Is it always instant or does the state of infrastructure matter? Can I slow down formation of enemy div's by bombing their infra?
Also, what happens if part of a country is cut off? Suppose I play as SOV and my AA is produced in Leningrad. Then attackers encircle the city breaking communications with the rest of the country. What will happen to equipment made there?

If you want a system where each individual factories/good get tracked. You might be interested in Distant Worlds: Universe which has a private sector complete with civilian ships doing all of that then some more.

I think a system like that would be difficult to make it flow with the combat aspect. After all this is a combat WW2 simulator first and foremost.

Nevermind the axiom: Fun gameplay > realism argument.

Well, I (and I think I'm not the only one) believe in this: Realism argument + Good gameplay implementation = Fun.

I am not against realism being a part of gameplay. I also love Distant Worlds: Universe unique approach to private sector within a space 4X. However it has some negative side-effect. One such negative side-effect is that you can actually "exploit" the civilian sector behavior to gain more money than the AI can.

Short story is that you can force the civilian sector to make variant of their civilian ships more often than typically. Since private sector don't and can't own their shipyard and have to pay YOU the government for access to starport's shipyard to upgrade.

You have to be careful if you drive the private sector into bankruptcy. Well welcome to a brave new world without any civilian ship supporting your army/space force!

My point is a complex system could be gamed in unforeseen way which defeat the purpose of the system. Not letting private sector hold some fund in reserve for more important critical functions beyond paying the monthly expense.

Back to HoI 4.

The problem comes down to if it make sense to micro-management an entire department of transportation and what not on top of a WW2 combat simulator. Make both transport and combat fun and engaging at the same time is certainly one endeavor that will be a Heracles effort!

I am OK with the current level of abstracting from what I have seen so far in WWW streams.

Resources have to be shipped with convoys to the capital in order to be used by factories. So yes you can cut UK from his resources in India or other colonies.

That's cool then. I didn't that was the case. Is it similar for raising units that the equipment gets shipped from your capital to the place where you raise them? Or could the USA raise troops in Europe if they owned some provinces without having to ship their equipment across the Atlantic.