Enough with the pops. Please either get rid of them or scale them down significantly (~5 per planet max)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, OP here. Glad the thread attracted attention!

I still think that pops (and jobs) should be scaled down significantly, so that most planets would have ~10 max.

But for those who want to have a large number of pops (as before 3.0) I have another proposal, that would save performance too. Let's move to the Imperator pop system:

If anything, the pops are a relic of the tile system. They make little sense in the current game. You rarely interact with them as individual units, only when it comes to ethics, and most of the time it is ignored or dealt with through the factions. Even happiness is ultimately planet-wide, an unhappy pop has the same production bonus as a happy one on the same planet.

IMO, it would be fine to treat all pops with the same traits as a group. You could still represent them with separate portaits if desired but not code them as individual entities who all need to be checked against jobs every so often. I don't know anything about coding, but from what I have read from those who do, this could make a big difference on game performance without changing much about the way the game is played. I feel like people who want to retain pops seem to think the game would turn into pie charts but that needn't be the case at all. And pop growth wouldn't be a problem anymore. It could just go on indefinitely which makes much longer and larger games possible.
i Don't know. it might just be cause of the potential i see in the current system. I'm a big 40K lore fan and i see the potential for real simulations of planet's like those in 40K. seeing mutants appear in the lower levels, criminal elements operating among the workers, the rulers sitting in the high spires over it all.

How cool would it be to see real revolutions in these worlds, real battles of your police and defense forces holding the line against hordes of bloodthirsty civilians, under hive gangers, crazy cults or mutant hordes. all the good stuff you can't get without a full simulation of a planets population. the various jobs and various stratum of society.

i don't have an idea off the top of my head to make the idea more interesting. more interaction would probably help. ways of raising rebellions in other empires. cults popping up. more interesting rebellions ect.