• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a month without internet access and come back to find you've made the Hapsburgs Protestant - Nice.

Congrats on the showcase as well.

Brian Roastbeef - the funny thing is, if I remember correctly, they started converting a province or two to protestant right away :D. So, in fact, they might be staying protestant - which wouldn't really fit the story, but that's not that much of a problem, and nothing that cannot be changed, anyway... :D

Widder - thank you, and welcome!

PrawnStar - must've been a pain - I've been cut off for 4 days 2 weeks ago and it felt nightmarish ;). And, thank you!

I'll write and post an update tomorrow evening, unless some weird thing (date, whatever :p) occurs. However, no later than on Monday.

Alright, a date did happen, and unfortunately the multitude of things I'm supposed to do today makes it impossible for me to write the update on time, unfortunately. It's going to be up either today late evening, or tomorrow morning. Sorry guys!

BTW, I've noticed that "Dreams" have already more than 20'000 views! This is marvellous! :D I'm really proud, people.

Intermission in the war

Both Pomerania and her allies came out of the war strengthened, while their adversaries - defeated, broken, and humiliated. Central Germany was one large battlefield, full of burnt villages and decimated cities, defenceless after the numerous assaults and prolonged artillery bombardment of their walls. The Habsburg lands, perhaps due to the recent (and, as we well know, forced) conversion of the royal family, were suffering from another period of revolts, of which particularly strong one happened in the province of Unterfranken - the Protestant majority of the province reacted so eagerly to the abasement of their oppressors that they didn't wait for the new administration's takeover: they deposed the local, catholic, pro-Austrian government, and declared loyalty to the court in Meissen, a faithful ally of Pomerania. This event dealt another blow to the already bedraggled reputation of the Viennese (well, the one in Vienna, I have no idea what the adjective actually sounds like) court.

ScreenSave65.jpg

Around the year 1623, an adventurous young man had approached the (then) prince Eryk, during his time of regency in Gdańsk. The man carried the name Krzysztof Arciszewski. He was of a noble origin, a member of the Polish Brethren (more widely-known as the Arians - a sect that in some respects resembled the early medieval beliefs of the Arians, but was in fact a very strict and puritan Reformed church, to put it shortly), well-educated, and intelligent. He had been a member of the personal court of the Lithuanian Field Hetman Krzysztof Radziwiłł, participating in one of the local conflicts between Poland-Lithuania and the Courland. In 1621, he was sentenced to infamy and banished from Poland for a murder he and his brothers had committed on a man who ruined their family. After a few years of trying to earn for a living as a shipowner in Szczecin, he arrived in Gdańsk with a simple plan in his mind - to turn to the authorities of Pomerania for help in a venture into the New World, to explore, and perhaps conquer, new land.

Arciszewski.jpg

A portrait of Krzysztof Arciszewski from the 1630's

At first, he was met with reluctance - Pomerania was in the middle of a costly war and couldn't afford hiring a man like him, and especially one who had no experience in such activities, as of yet. Rejected, he travelled to the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and specifically - Hague, from where he visited lands as remote as Brazil (as a member of the West-Indische Compagnie, and much more of a soldier than a merchant, fighting the Portuguese in the Pernambuco region and earning himself the title of General). He fell into a conflict with his Dutch principals, which made him abandon their cause and turn to Pomerania again. He arrived back in Gdańsk in late 1627. In the new political situation, Eryk IV this time agreed to support Arciszewski, who was given ships, men, and supplies needed for an expedition into America. They set sail in March 1628, arriving in Filipina, the first colony ever established by Pomerania (named after Filip I, the grandson of the great Bogusław X, and the King who started Pomeranian expeditions to the New World), in early May of the same year. From there, he conducted a number of voyages onto the mainland of America, discovering and charting, until 1631, a large part of the, still primaeval, eastern coast of America.

ScreenSave66a.jpg

ScreenSave5a.jpg

A comparison of Pomeranian colonies in the New World - one has to remember that some of them
had been taken from the French in the late 16th century.

No war this time, for a change. Sorry for the delay, guys, and I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

Last edited:
Ah, lovely, colonies.

Strict protestants - does that mean emigration will be controlled?

The names - very royalist for most part. But makes sense.

I almost forgot about the ones you took from the French. How are those doing?

RGB - well, all Pomeranian colonizing attempts to date have been state-controlled, and the Baltic State is a centralized one with a strong monarchic power - therefore, I believe, the royalist names are suitable here :). The post-French colonies could be seen on the last screenie, as you can see, they're doing quite well - I've also managed to "polonize" them through colonization. The only strict protestant here was Arciszewski, and that's just his beliefs - though I might well think about giving him, upon his retirement, a post of governor-general of the New World, and it would be his responsibility to do everything there... ;)

demokratickid - as always! :D Though, one never knows...

Thanks for the colony update. I wasn't sure what you had over there actually.

Not bad, though a couple of the Frenchies could still use conversion, looks like, now that the culture has gone Polish for you.

Doubleplusgood, mister. :3
Aaaand...that down there is a strong Milan, isn't he?
It could do a fine Italy, couldn't he?
And a strong, centralized ally in the south would be good, right?
*wink wink, nudge nudge*

Just joking, eh. Only, almost every AARer seems to be willing to destroy every kind of united Italian nation. Yes, Rensslaer, I'm looking at YOU. =_____=

Brian Roastbeef - in the end I forgot to put up a screenie with all the colonies in it :D. About the conversion: well, yes, when I get the cash for it. Recently, Pomerania has been quite occupied... ;)

WeissRaben - Plusgood mood to see another reader, sir :D
This particular writer has nothing against Milan or any Italian state. The thing is, pretty soonish this Milan might be teaming up with France, Austria and co. with the goal to destroy the writer's country of choice. Therefore, the reader might be left no choice but to try to destroy Milan (and France and Austria :p), given enough time, resources, luck, and AI dumbness.

EDIT: Ah, forgot to add: an update is coming up sometime this week, not sure yet exactly, when. But do expect one :).

Last edited:
Alright, yes, I know, I suck, I promised an update and didn't write one. I will - however, only when I come back from my holidays in the mountains, which will last from tomorrow (Friday, July 17th) till Saturday, August 1st.

The recent delay in updating was caused by much partying, meeting with various acquaintances, and some nerves connected with my pending university applications. However, the latter have eased now: I shall be a Law student at the Jagiellonian University, and an Eastern European History student at the Papal Theological Academy at Krakow, from October on :D. You can congratulate :p.

Congratulations on the University admissions (two! wow!)

Enjoy your holiday and then it's time for an update.

Congratulations!

The only way that could be cooler is if you were a wandering student :p