• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
36 scenario, normal , normal

UK, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and USSR were player controlled.

In 1936 Italy was able to dow and annex Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey without a single British sphere ever firing ... Notably the Turkish campaign was somewhat lenghty...

How likely is it that not a single sphere would fire for 4 countries ? Or are the UK spheres messed up somewhat ?

Upvote 0
AFAIK, the spheres are AI-only events...

edit: nevermind, check max's post further on, i'm wrong...

Last edited:
gzav said:
AFAIK, the spheres are AI-only events...

Sorry but what does this mean ?

Certainly if a country is human controlled then if it is dowed perhaps spheres dont fire..... But in this case Yugo, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey were all AI, they were all attacked by a human player and not a single UK sphere fired.....

So again, spheres did work in earlier versions .. Is there something special about UK spheres ???? something special about 36 ???? something special about MP ????

Tomar said:
Sorry but what does this mean ?

Certainly if a country is human controlled then if it is dowed perhaps spheres dont fire..... But in this case Yugo, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey were all AI, they were all attacked by a human player and not a single UK sphere fired.....

So again, spheres did work in earlier versions .. Is there something special about UK spheres ???? something special about 36 ???? something special about MP ????
The events for UK's Sphere will only fire if UK is AI-controlled. Player-controlled countries don't get to DoW as a result of SoI events (in MP or SP).

jdrou said:
The events for UK's Sphere will only fire if UK is AI-controlled. Player-controlled countries don't get to DoW as a result of SoI events (in MP or SP).
I don't think that's the case any more. Maximillian was able to extend these AI events to include player-controlled countries by using existing event texts (which is why the sphere events don't say much).

My impression is that the spheres were toned down in 1.06c to give Italy more freedom to try its luck - their frequency was decreased. And the sphere events between the minors were removed altogether to stop WW1 style cascades.

Anyway, I'll ask Maximillian to comment authoritatively...

Andrew

please check the eng_sphere.txt yourself. there are no ai = yes entries for the sphere events. the spheres fire and were tested to be firing for a player.

furthermore, as warden already pointed out, the limitations set by the spheres were eased up for italy e.g..

Excuse me but Gzav says that spheres does work only for AI, Maximilian claim they should work for player as well what is the true?
Unfortunatelly Italy tooked in our game Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey and the only effect was lowering US WE :rofl: no spheres for Allies (France and UK human controlled), something is wrong with that.

P.S. perhaps agressivenes level has something to do with that?

Max is right. Starting in patch 1.06 the spheres are not AI-only events (even though they are in events\ai). The only restrictions are that the attacked country is not allied or puppeted to anyone and the protector is not a puppet. For Turkey it only has a 14% chance of triggering every 14 days. SOV would be more likely to intervene: 35% chance every 10 days. How long did the Turkish war last? Are you running any mods?

Last edited:
That might easily have been fast enough to avoid the SoI events. I'm a bit surprised the USSR didn't have its event for Turkey fire though since it probably got checked twice.

This is something that may be worth modding to make the SoI checks more frequent.

Orthank said:
Italy made a pure blitzkrieg, so Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece each was taken in about 7-9 days each, Turkey tooked about 3 weeks i sopose. No mods vanilia, normal/weak.

Well not really.... it is not physically possible to do it that fast ... Yugo was a few weeks, Bulgaria about a month (hell it takes about a month to just walk to Sofia), greece a couple of weeks, Turkey a couple of months (some mountainous terrain that takes time there).....

Soviet sphere did fire for Turkey but was declined ... But not a single UK sphere fired for any of these 4 countries........ thats a bit much......

In SP my experience was that spheres would fire within a week or 2 max.....

Orthank said:
Excuse me but Gzav says that spheres does work only for AI, Maximilian claim they should work for player as well what is the true?
Unfortunatelly Italy tooked in our game Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Greece and Turkey and the only effect was lowering US WE :rofl: no spheres for Allies (France and UK human controlled), something is wrong with that.

P.S. perhaps agressivenes level has something to do with that?
Always believe max...