• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Steam tech support? Never knew they had one; might be helpful if it's a Steam issue. Paradox tech support would probably be more helpful, but that forum is hidden until you register the base game. I suspect his primary issue (loading any saved game) is a problem with the install or configuration, but they deal with these issues all the time. I assure you/him that saved games are loadable.

On the separate issue of patch compatibility with saves made under prior versions: at the risk of coming across as a Paradox apologist, patch compatibility with save games means different things to different people. Unless my memory fails me, the vast majority of recent patches, including the 5.1 DW are generally savegame compatible, if you're just talking about the ability to reload a saved game. Yes, they make a point not to promise compatibility, and warn you that wonky things may happen. But if you want to continue a saved games under the new patch, it's generally quite doable (and I've done it many times). It's only when they change the way something is stored in the game files that saves are actually unloadable (rare).

However, since each patch changes the rules, to some extent or another, most people find it kind of pointless to continue a game started under one set of rules, with a different set of rules. Even a slight change to ... say ... naval maintenance costs or length of time for a horde to annex a province has a big influence on how a game will flow. So your savegame that has England hamstrung, or the Golden Horde occupying half of the HRE might be highly improbable, under the new patch. So most people prefer and recommend a fresh start.

Is it possible to make things so compatible that a save could be completely compatible? Sure. Is it desirable? No. You'd essentially have to re-run the game from the start under the new set of rules. There's just no realistic, cost-effective way for a programmer to undo the myriad ripples that such changes would have on a game. Not only would the costs be prohibitive, for miniscule gain, the performance hit for storing and tracking all the decisions and history, that would have to be undone/redone, would be unacceptable.

I've tried to register in EU3 and EU3 Complete but it won't accept my CD key. The Divine Wind key worked and seeing as this is the version I'm playing (Steam auto updates you straight to Divine Wind), I can't see why I can't get this issue answered here! [keys removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried to register in EU3 and EU3 Complete but it won't accept my CD key. The Divine Wind key worked and seeing as this is the version I'm playing (Steam auto updates you straight to Divine Wind), I can't see why I can't get this issue answered here! [keys removed]
Paradox requires games to be registered on these forums in order to receive technical support here. This is instead of using any form of copy protection on their games.

Unfortunately you happen to have one of the bad codes that Steam gave out for a while, the process that jdrou pointed you to will get you a new key in a few days usually.

Will I need this patch if I purchased Chronicles?
Assuming you buy from a source that doesn't provide their own patch (as Steam does) then yes.

I have a friend who works as a games programmer for a well known software house and he said there should be no excuse. He says it's not a hard thing to do and says it's very sloppy or just plain lazy!

Your "friend" either does not appreciate the changes that can occur in database/AI driven games and how they can effect compatibility with previous saves (in which case he is not a very good programmer) or he is a figment of your imagination.

Thanks jdrou,

To further my knowledge, I am assuming this being the latest expansion. It is also the the only one really being patched, resulting in the only one I should be concerned with in regards to patching my Chronicles in the future?

In order to stay afloat of the games "official" development?

Chronicles is not an expansion per se, it is a bundle that includes all current expansions in one lump. The current, latest, and probably last expansion for EU3 is Divine Wind, as you will see when you run the game. It is 5.0 at release, and 5.1 is the latest and only patch for it. Previous expansions such as HttT had their own patches, but DW supersedes them and you cannot and should not apply those earlier patches to DW.

You can see your current version and checksum on the main game menu, if it says 5.0 you ought to apply this patch. Note that saved games created under 5.0 are not guaranteed to work properly under 5.1, so finish any valued current games before you apply it.

That is discouraging.

If you contrast the development of EUII with that of EUIII, there is just no comparision. The earlier game showed continuous improvement through all its versions. Not perfection, of course, but the problems were addressed and mostly, fixed. With EUIII this just isn't so. There HAS been a stream of changes, that is, new ideas and new features. But we have not seen the bugs worked out at all consistently, and we certainly haven't seen the degree of agreement about the success of new versions and patches, which was true in EUII.

If it were just me, I could be written off as a sourpuss. (Although I used to be accused of being a "fanboy".) But it isn't; the complaints are many, and the areas complained about are wide.

Paradox seems to be in decline.

That is discouraging.
I suspect you're misunderstanding Andrew's "only patch" statement; I assume he only meant there were no other non-beta patches available, not that there would be no future patches. I don't think there has been any such statement by Paradox yet. I also think it's safe to say if Paradox does not do another expansion for EU3 it would only be because they were planning to develop an EU4 or equivalent instead.

I suspect you're misunderstanding Andrew's "only patch" statement; I assume he only meant there were no other non-beta patches available, not that there would be no future patches. I don't think there has been any such statement by Paradox yet. I also think it's safe to say if Paradox does not do another expansion for EU3 it would only be because they were planning to develop an EU4 or equivalent instead.

Yeah but isnt it safe to assume that developing EU4 would take at least a year or more? Which means that EU3 situation is indeed discouraging. Even more so by the complete silence from the Paradox end. I understand that they would not want to announce development of games before its time, but they dont have to do that, a simple post by any dev that they are at least still aware of the EU3 and us players who still play it would make a big difference. As it is, it surely does seem like EU3 is forgotten.

post by any dev that they are at least still aware of the EU3 and us players who still play it would make a big difference. As it is, it surely does seem like EU3 is forgotten.
It's their flagship title and I believe biggest seller as well as the game Johan has spent the most time playing according to an interview. Being "forgotten" is pretty unlikely.

If they are working on EUIV, without first making EUIII work better, it'll be evidence for what I mean.

Really, the big letdown for me was the way DW followed upon HT, when the latter was so clearly unpolished. Sure, there were HT flaws fixed in DW, but shouldn't they have been fixed in a patch for HT?

I used to have an almost superstitious faith in Paradox. I don't anymore. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but doubt that will happen.

What are the supposed problem bugs in 5.1? I am half way through an (intended) full grand campaign in it and I think it's the best EU I have ever played. I started with the original EU (even though I didn't ever finish a GC with it) and had many happy hours with EU2 (including complete GCs), so I don't think disappointment or loss of faith are really justified.

Would more fixes/additions be welcome? Certainly! But I don't think they are tearingly urgent, and the other games they have taking up developer time are very worthy stable mates for EU, in my (not so) humble view :cool:

What are the supposed problem bugs in 5.1? I am half way through an (intended) full grand campaign in it and I think it's the best EU I have ever played. I started with the original EU (even though I didn't ever finish a GC with it) and had many happy hours with EU2 (including complete GCs), so I don't think disappointment or loss of faith are really justified.

Would more fixes/additions be welcome? Certainly! But I don't think they are tearingly urgent, and the other games they have taking up developer time are very worthy stable mates for EU, in my (not so) humble view :cool:

Then you obviously havent played EU3 DW latest patch - enough. The bugs and issues that it has (and it does trust me) are not the kind that you can notice in a few hours of casual play, but they are still there non the less. Vassal AI disbanding armies for example, kind of is tearingly urgent, since, depending your gameplay style, it can be bad leading to many problems.

I need help, whenever I click to "Check for Update" I get

" The webpage cannot be found
HTTP 404
Most likely causes:
There might be a typing error in the address.
If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Go to and look for the information you want.

More information"

This... what can I do to get update?

There is a direct link in the tech support forum, which is available for your viewing pleasure once you have registered your base EU3 game.

Also, if you have the game on Steam, Steam should auto-update your game.

I am not sure were can I post it, but I have found out a HUGE mistake in the napoleontext.csv translation file. It seems that the spanish translator got bored and misplaced every line after the events part. I have corrected it myself (hard work, men), but don't know where to send it.

I am not sure were can I post it, but I have found out a HUGE mistake in the napoleontext.csv translation file. It seems that the spanish translator got bored and misplaced every line after the events part. I have corrected it myself (hard work, men), but don't know where to send it.
You should post this in the bug forum which you need to register your game in order to see.
See also my text.csv file for Heir to the Throne: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?450070-HttT-text.csv-with-fixed-Spanish