• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HBS_HighCommand

First Lieutenant
15 Badges
Feb 23, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Harebrained Schemes Staff
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
Dear Diary,

Today I helped a bunch of talented and dedicated game developers solve a dozen little problems and one or two big problems. The rest of my day was spent like it always is - a bunch of small moments on a variety of topics.

• I met with our morning triage team to talk about the state of the game and the bugs that were logged last night. I try and read the bug report before I leave the house so I know what I’m getting into and don’t react emotionally in the meeting. No one wants to meet with a grumpy little man for their first meeting of the day.
  • I fist-bumped Andrew while testing the game because I loved his word choices in a scene he wrote for the [REDACTED] flashpoint. Writing is rewriting and I love how Andrew’s stuff gets better and better with more “swings of the bat”.
  • I sat with my headphones on and tried to imagine what it would feel like for different types of players to begin the expansion and Update 1.3. If you’re someone who wants to see new stuff right away, load up your post-campaign save game and go to town. But if you enjoy the antici…
  • ...pation, then start a new career and earn your way through some really challenging chained missions.
  • I checked the forums looking for questions that needed answering and issues that required clarification. Like a moron, I often do this at night and on the weekends and end up working instead of resting. I’d like to say I’ll get better at that but I don’t want to be a liar.
  • I hung out with Pro, our new Producer for updates and expansion, and chatted about BT lore for a few minutes (he knows his stuff). Very excited to have Pro on the team - we’re already talking about new things we can do to improve our processes.
  • I watched a draft of our official release trailer and discussed ways to improve it with McCain. Our trailers are driven by Paradox who hire external groups to create them. Mike and I make sure they’re accurate, prioritize the right information, and maintain the “BT feel”.
  • I discussed two great IT candidates with our hiring team. In a smallish studio like ours, we have to be very careful about each person we hire. It’s kinda like dropping a pebble into a still pond - you want to be sure you understand what each splash or ripple is gonna be.
  • I conspired with Jordan about plans for #Mech_Con2018. One of the highlights of the year for both of us is hanging out with BattleTech fans. They wind us up so we can jump back to work like the energizer bunny.
  • I giggled as I struggled to keep my mercenary company afloat during in my organic ironman career mode playthrough. Note to self, Diary - Struggle hones skill. Struggle hones skill. Struggle hones skill.
  • And I smiled to myself as I walked out the door after a long day because I feel so lucky.
Make no mistake, Diary - game development is ridiculously hard and often incredibly stressful and I’ve worked my ass off for over 25 years for the opportunity to *be* this lucky but it’s cool to be here, in my 50s, leading a team making BattleTech games again. I feel like I’ve come full circle - it was MechCommander that turned me into a game developer in the first place. I’d shipped several games in various genres and complexities before coming to FASA Interactive in the late 90s but I’d never been on a project of its size or complexity - or with a history like BattleTech’s. It was like walking into another world, and there were times I thought it would break me. Turns out, I’ve had that “Holy crap, how are we ever gonna do this?” experience over and over in my little career and it's something I’ve now come to anticipate - thus the tattoo on my left arm. But MechCommander was my first exposure to it and it holds a special place in my heart.

12187675_10206931198611818_2101956498054286306_n.jpg

So given the challenges and stresses of the gig, why do I feel lucky? Because I get to build on the terrific foundation that Mike McCain established directing BATTLETECH. I learned a lot from him while shipping the game and I’m excited to take on the role for myself adding those lessons to my own experiences making games. Not only that, I get to practice my ever-evolving craft alongside Mike, Jordan, and hand-picked group of passionate, collaborative, smart, and talented folks who I enjoy seeing every day. This may be the happiest I’ve ever been in game development. No joke.

the boys.jpg

the team.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys Flashpoint and Update 1.3. We’re excited for folks to play it, to learn from their experiences, and to continue improving and expanding BATTLETECH next year. The team is already working on ideas for Update 1.4 and next summer’s Urban Warfare expansion and we’re itching to dive in.

I guess it's true, Diary: In success, all things are possible, eh?

Mitch

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you, Mitch and HBS, for starting this off and reminding me BattleTech was still potentially a thing. If the Kickstarter hadn't crossed my desk, I'd never have gotten into it - again, and deeper than before.

Thank you for making a game which is a good foundation to move from, whether you be a modder or HBS developing expansions.

Oh, and thank you for putting in quads.

Not a "No," nor a "Focus Equals Quality" nor an Anti-QUAD'ist Comment in the whole Dev Diary!!!

Maybe Mitch has a Ghost Writer?

Not a "No," nor a "Focus Equals Quality" nor an Anti-QUAD'ist Comment in the whole Dev Diary!!!

Maybe Mitch has a Ghost Writer?
Well in fairness those are mostly answers to questions, whereas the dev diary is a monologue. :D

Thank you for the post, but also for the snuck in big teaser at the end. Urban Warfare expansion for next summer, you say? Well, I guess it's a given that we're going to get a city biome. The Urbanmech and Hatchetman will feel right at home there. Fascinated to find out what else comes with it. Infantry? In success . . .

However, next summer obviously doesn't line up with a 1.4 release, at the current pace of patches. It makes you wonder when 1.4 is intended to hit and what the plans are for that.

Regardless, a very sincere thank you, again, for the insights. It must feel great to have your "full circle" start with an amazing blockbuster game and come back around to another amazing blockbuster game. Best of luck and well-wishes that it continues going strong for years to come. I think all of us who backed the game are thrilled that "in success" has truly become Battletech's reality; and we'll continue to cheer you on.

I giggled as I struggled to keep my mercenary company afloat during in my organic ironman career mode playthrough. Note to self, Diary - Struggle hones skill. Struggle hones skill. Struggle hones skill.
any chance you could expand on this a little? I'm intrigued (and I'm sure others are) about the "organic ironman"...

Nobody ever fist-bumps me at work. Do you need a new guy with administrative skills? :p

Thank you to Mitch, Jordan, and the entire team at HBS! BattleTech is an amazing game and the team's hard work and dedication shows every time the game is fired up :D.

BattleTech is one of my favorite SciFi franchises and because of that I am extremely grateful of Jordan for bringing it to life. The MechCommander franchise also holds a place in my nostalgic heart (just as BattleTech will), and I thank Mitch for all his hard work in making the BattleTech games as excellent as they are. I thank the HBS team for their hard work and dedication on an amazing BattleTech product. You guys and gals have made an excellent product, and one that will be enjoyed and fondly remembered throughout the history of the franchise. It truly is an amazing game, and you all should be proud of what you were able to achieve.

Thank you for the dedication, plowing through the stress and difficulties, and working hard to deliver such an amazing game and expansions.

Because of the hard work from HBS and everyone involved in making this game happen, It has never been a better time to be a BattleTech fan!

I know this dev diary wasn't crunchy and y'all like the technical details. We're hoping for one final dev diary before slowing our roll. Stay tuned.

Too much crunch breaks the teeth when I dig into the diaries. I like having my teeth.

Thank you, Mitch and HBS, for making this great game!
Like I've said before, I didn't hesitate to back you guys in Kickstarter, and I didn't hesitate in purchasing the Season Pass as soon as I got home when it was first announced. And I'll keep doing it in the future, when/if HBS announces a DLC/Expansion not covered by the Season Pass. :)

Thanks for this Diary entry. I wish you guys and gals keep enjoying making and expanding this game as much as we the players and fans keep playing it and having a blast. :D

Everyone @ HBS ... a big thank you for the work that you've done and the work you continue to do for this game. Definitely made it onto the list of "Things I am thankful for". Have a tasty Thanksgiving.

I know this dev diary wasn't crunchy and y'all like the technical details. We're hoping for one final dev diary before slowing our roll. Stay tuned.
Do not want!
Sometimes the best is humanizing the day to day.
Now... can Kiva explain her look in the picture? :)
Cause the only person who looks like they do not want to be there is Kiva! :)

Now... can Kiva explain her look in the picture? :)
Cause the only person who looks like they do not want to be there is Kiva!
Perfectly understandable...I'm sure Kiva and the fine folks at HBS can answer but just look at the picture closely ..this is California and it's all sunny (glare) and warm (uncomfortably so) . Now I imagine this would have been a much happier picture in a blinding snowstorm with icy sleet scouring your flesh (free micro dermabrasions!) I know what happiness is.:)

Perfectly understandable...I'm sure Kiva and the fine folks at HBS can answer but just look at the picture closely ..this is California and it's all sunny (glare) and warm (uncomfortably so) . Now I imagine this would have been a much happier picture in a blinding snowstorm with icy sleet scouring your flesh (free micro dermabrasions!) I know what happiness is.:)
I can't speak for all the HBS team, but as a Washington State native myself, I've come to regard the sun not as a giver of life, but as an angry god that stabs me in the eyes whenever I leave the house. My only succor is the holy grey shroud that soothes all with its shadowless light and cleansing waters.

If that's the case with Kiva, I can absolutely sympathize.

Thank you Mitch (and the Team of course) for all your hard work, not just for BattleTech but all the games youve worked on in 25 years. Thats how you honed your craft and allowed you to recognize the talent to put it all together.
A;so the Bandit Caste (Specifically Clan Black Sheep) would again like to let it be known that we are proud to have Your Giftake's, as both yourself and the Lord Commander, to create sibkos that will one day complete Father Kerenskys Dream of a Unified Humanity.
Seyla,