• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nothing wrong with hired killers, they are merely gentlemen performing a required service. If people are to be killed surely it is better done by professionals who will be quick rather than amateurs who may not be?

If there is a problem with any of this it would be with a society where people are killed so often there can be professionals and, of course, with those who order such killings. Not to mention the fact that those who are killed have, almost by definition, done or said something bad enough to 'deserve' being killed (in at least one person's eyes anyway). Frankly I would argue the most blameless people, and it is relatively blameless not absolute, are probably the hired killers themselves.

El Pip said:
Nothing wrong with hired killers, they are merely gentlemen performing a required service. If people are to be killed surely it is better done by professionals who will be quick rather than amateurs who may not be?

If there is a problem with any of this it would be with a society where people are killed so often there can be professionals and, of course, with those who order such killings. Not to mention the fact that those who are killed have, almost by definition, done or said something bad enough to 'deserve' being killed (in at least one person's eyes anyway). Frankly I would argue the most blameless people, and it is relatively blameless not absolute, are probably the hired killers themselves.

Indeed. An individual may be comparatively blameless but the larger unity is of general nastiness. The quote is of the crystallising point of the matter.

Hajji Giray I said:
One of the assassins growled and lunged forward. She could see his teeth. "Get back in the room," he was saying. "You must answer for this."

Oops, time to pay the piper...one hopes that she escapes, but...

TheExecuter

Looking pretty grim for the secretary, luckily for Marlborough, its hard to find people in a city gripped by disorder..

J. Passepartout said:
If I were a religious man I would point at what is happening to these people as perhaps the beginning of payback for evil.
As a religious man I entirely endorse this point of view :)

More deeply, the flaws of betrayal start to become clear in this passage. The secretary herself is steeped in treachery, and is therefore not one who can be trusted by the killers, even if she is sleeping with Gomez. And the killers, they know what awaits them if they fail, doubtless having executed the same sentences upon former colleagues who fell short of the mark themselves.

Desperate times, for men and woman.

I heartily applaud the return of the secretary and hope she emerges unscathed.

However, I am very disappointed to see that we've gone over a month without an update.

Give us an update! :D

Bumpity bump bump.

I know you're long since back from vacation, Hajji. :p