• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 6 (May 8404 - October 8406 ) : "Bend the knee, petty king"
Chapter 6
May 8404 - October 8406

"Bend the knee, petty king"

The lords of the realm weren't slow to annouce their camp. Immediatly after the civil war's declaration, the lord paramounts of the Iron Isles, the Vale and the Reach stood behind Haerys, who was the clear leader of this revolt, meanwhile the Stormlands and the Summer Islands chose to stay under the king, followed a bit later by the other Haerys of the kingdom, the lord paramount of the Stepstones.
If some minor lords make a move like the one of Mantarys, in Northern Valyria, who followed the rebels, and Jaekar of Draconys, who crawled in his castle, some others decided to stay loyal to the crown, in the person of Castamere Garrenhor Brax of Hornvalen or Willas Tackerton of the Ring.
But the worst stab in the back came from the Trident's lord paramount, who followed the rebels, and his grandfather Arthur Martell, who, following a long Dornish tradition, stayed neutral.
If this wasn't worse, the very realm of the Crownlands revolted once more, led by the Kingsguards Lord Commander Robert Strong, and the Citadel's Maesters.

While the loyal lords were delaying the massives Westermen and Reachmen armies and Jaenar was desesperatly hunting the dragons in King's Landing's lands, the loyalist army started to regroup in the Crackclaw Point.
All in all, the composited forces of Crownlanders, Stormlanders and Summermen were rougly 14 thousands, maybe enough to stomp on the rebelled kingslander and Trident's troops, but surely not the 18 thousands of the Vale or 15 thousands of the Westerlands, and certainely not the 31 thousands Reachmen, or the 16 thousands Ironborns who were sailing toward King's Landing.
The situation seemed really hopeless for the new king. He had two dragon riders, the Stepstones's lord paramount had a dragon and a dragon rider's commander, including the massive Drogon, but with only 6 thousands and half soldiers, no miracles were awaited.

And it even get worse as the lord paramount of the Stormlands imprisoned the lords of Straits of Tarth and Serena, depriving the king of 7 thousands soldiers !
Now, Jaenax was just praying to find a dragon, and that the lord paramount of the North and his war versus the Wildlings, as he received a vow of help from Daemion once he finished to reinstall the Night's Watch.

After evacuated the army from the Crackclaw Point, which was overwhelm by the Vale, Ironborns and Duskendale's forces, the mere 7 thousands loyalists crushed the 4 thousands Farring Cross's rebels, led by nothing else than their lord Rhaegel Targaryen, the king's troops found themselves trapped in Dalston, holding thanks to the dragons three waves of reinforcements, one time from the crownlanders rebels, another from the Reachmen.
Finally, the 4th wave from the Reachmen will break the 3 last exhausted thousands soldiers in late January 8045, and the lasts 1 300 soldiers will retreat to Amberly, leaving around 13 500 bodies near Dalston Keep.
While the few remainings loyalists were trying to reach Storm's End, where some ships where waiting for them, Stepstones forces were besieging Lanns Hall.

Some good news finally arrived from the Trident, as with Osmund's death, his daughter Amena choose to withdraw from the rebellion, before giving her title to her husband and cousin Josten Tully.
But it wasn't enough. Despite Dorne neutrality, Haerys managed to attract some Dornish lords, who join the rebellion too, giving more men to a faction who was already in a incredible numerical superiority.

The battle of King's Landing, where 35 000 rebels were facing 4 500 loyalists was the pinnacle of the war, and signed the end of it. After seen from the Red Keep his army squashed, Jaenar decided it was time to surrender.
And so ended the second rebellion in four years.

But it wasn't even done that another rebellion showed up. A horde of kingslanders, led by an ambitious knight, brother of Bronn of Stokeworth who thought he could took King's Landing for himself.
After all, why not ? The crown was broken, and he had 20 thousands angry secessionists behind him.
Yet, this time, Jaenar could count on his vassals.

The revolt outbreaks in Farring Cross.
The rebel leader, in an injudicious move, divide his army in two parts : the main staying and laying siege on Farring Cross, the over capturing Dalston Keep, then Mormead. But Jaenar, who gather the kingdom's host, quickly move to crush the smaller army, and besieged the captured Dalston fort, but not after the rebels decimated a good part of the reigning family, the Gaunts.
While this could be seen as a strange move by everyone, as crushing the rebels could easily end the war, Jaenar didn't forgot that Rhaegel, the lord of Farring Cross, was one of the Crownlanders to join the rebels in the last rebellion. And he wanted to make him direly pay for this.
And they did. Nothing less than 9 Targaryens who were in his court were killed, including his mother, his two wives and 4 of his children.

Once the lynching made by the rebels done, Jaenar decided to move to save his kin.
Despite the 13 thousands strong men standing with the Stokeworth, they were mainly peasants, exiles or bandits poorly equipped assembled around the charismatic knight, while the king had 22 thousands professionals soldiers, with talented commanders. The battle was a slaughter, yet a formality.
The leader, as a knight, wasn't executed but sent to the newly reformed Night's Watch, travelling through a North who was in a noble's revolt since the end of the Wildling's war.
Everyone back home, hoping that this time, the next years would be a peaceful and prosperous era.

But the future years would be a time of vengeance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who are wondering why I'm trying to kill the young lord paramount who rose after the rebellion, he is already gathering a new faction to put the precedent king, the young Aerys, son of Orys on the throne.
This is starting to looks like the musical chairs.

I don't rate much the chances for a peaceful and prosperous era.

Death and destruction, don't they ever learn?

Chapter 7 (October 8406 - February 8409) : War without end
Chapter 7
October 8406 - February 8409
War without end

By November, another faction was already expecting new demands.
But ask for more council power was one thing, demanding independance was another. Since 1 400 years, the kingdom was united, even when it went through the rebellions. And now, under his rule, some petty lords from Kinglands, oversee by the Lady Paramount of the Reach, where claiming independance ?
Although he didn't have the men to win this war, Jaenar refused. It wouldn't be say that he let them go without fighting.

But this time, the rebels wouldn't have the expected support, and the 41 thousands strong rebels would face the 35 and half thousands soldiers from the main part of the Kingdom, as the North and Dorne was struggling with their own rebellions.

While the Reach's and Crown's troops were gathering inside their respective territories, the Mountains Clans from the Vale choose this moment to unite themselves and invade the Vale.
Since Samwell Arryn was one of the first to join the precedent rebellion, and Jaenar had already a new one on his hands, he would not move a inch for the Lord Paramount of the Vale. Yes, Jaenar was a resentful one.

Meanwhile, three great news came to the king during February : first, the death of the wretched Haerys, Lord Paramount of the Westerlands from a cardiac arrest, living his young 5 years old son Daemion in charge of the region, to the great pleasure of both the king Jaenar and the Westermen lords.
Second, the army from the Blackwater Rush's lord was crushed. An ally of the Reach, who was the main belligerent of the rebellion, had lost his army.
Third, a small Reach's troops, who landed in Stonedance, and who tried to reach the small rebel's bastion in Wend was destroyed not by a king force, but by the Kingswood's lord's army himself.
Even better : now, with Haerys's death, Jaenar could fully count on Westerlands's army, gathering not 35 thousands soldiers, but 43 thousands !

Séréna = Nightsong

And it wasn't finish. After retaking Summerhall from the rebels, the Crown's soldiers kept pushing to the South, before cornered the rebels in Nightsong. Altough a large 14 thousands rebels were roaming in the Crownlands led by the Lady Paramount, who crowned herself queen of the Reach, they were broken in the South, and the way to Highgarden was clear.
The army divide in two parts : one who started walking to the Reach's capital, led by the brilliant Jaenar half-brother Vaegon, and the Lord Commander Robert Strong of the Kingsguard, and the other one, led by Jaekar of Draconys and the former rebel lord of Duskendale, who waited for the 16 thousands reinforcements of Dorne, who finally join the king in their war. This strong troop of 33 thousands soldiers would then face the lasting rebels who were actually making their way through the Stormlands.

The king was heartless with his prisoners, should they be peasants, septons or lords. No separatists would be tolerated in his kingdom.

The second battle to decide the fate of the second rebel army went just as planned. A brutal slaughter later, the rest of the rebels surrendered, only to see themselves executed after, on the order of the king.

As the war was slowly getting to his end, Jaenar discovered a plot from the Archmaester (who is located in King's Landing, remember) to make the Kingsguards revolt against the king. In his brutal fashion, Jaenar made the plotter swiftly arrested and executed. If he had a dragon, for sure he would let him devour the prisoner, but he hadn't. Yet.

The young Lord Paramount of the Trident tragically found death in a trap made by the rebels in an inn. In any case, that was the official announcement from the Crown.
Jaenar then betrothed his daughters to the young Lords Paramounts of Westerlands and Riverlands, respectively of 6 and 4 years old to assure himself he would find allies in their persons once they grew up. He took Josten's wife Amena as his new wife too, as Amena was clearly not mourning upon her husband's death, and Jaenar wanted to be sure the Tully wouldn't cause any troubles in the next years.

Another good new awaited him in King's Landing : one of his wives had now a dragon, Fellfang, from Viserion's branch and son of Sonax, the dragon Jaenar tried in vain to catch.

While the war as entered in his siege's phase, Drogon, the legendary dragon who knew Daenerys Stormborn died from a maiming, taken during the war in the North, as dragon of the pretender Laenor who gathered some supports from the Northmen's lords and pushed the claiming, starting a bloody civil war.
For that matter, the Lord Paramount Daemion found death in a battle in October 8408.

Meanwhile, the rebellion was still going. Altough the rebels couldn't line many troops up, they were defending tooth and nails their bastions, and the sieges battles where bitter ones. All in all, king Jaenar was slowly winning the war.

But a new challenger find his way to the kingdom, a new pretender who shuffled the cards once again.
Unlike with the separatists, this time, the lords of the realm wouldn't necessarily stand up with the king.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there an end to all this rebellions ? Please ?
For one time I was clearly controlling the situation, it had to spin out of control once again. Uuuurgh...

So the Seven Kingdoms yet know no peace.

Chapter 8 (February 8409 - March 8410 ) : Kingdom prevails
Chapter 8
February 8409 - March 8410
Kingdom prevails

While the Lord Paramounts were surprisingly timorous with the new pretender, as nobody of them joined Laena, and the crown could count on the Vale, Dorne and Stepstones's support, once again, the perfidious Lord Rosby of the same name's duchy sided with the pretender. This time, sweared Jaenar, he wouldn't let him go without a punishment for his constant insubordination.

Murders roamed inside the Red Keep too.
While Jaenar was besieging Rayonet, the independance's leader's keep, a messenger tells to him that one of his wives murdered his youngest son, Baethon, of 8 months old.
Ruthless as always, Jaenar had her executed.

By June 8409, Highgarden, then Rayonet fell. Even if nobody of importance were catch in Highgarden, and only leader's family was imprisoned in Rayonet, Jaenar, bloodthirsty, had them executed, their bodies hanged out on the walls of the castle.

Though Estalia Oakheart was still nowhere to be found, the king was now disposing of the Reach's troops, or what was left of it. Nothing less than 16 thousands new soldiers for facing the pretender and her supporters !

For the first time since too many years, Jaenar was tasting the savour of victory. It felt good.
The Crownlanders rebels were executed or sent to the Wall. Rayonet fell in the hands of the Targaryens, meanwhile Wend, now ruled by a one year old boy, choose once again to rebel, this time for the pretender Laena.
Estalia Oakheart of the Reach lost her title in favour of her daughter Cindra*, which wedded Jaenar in a matrilineal marriage.
From now, the former Lady Paramount of the Reach is rotting in the king's oubliettes, and her grandson Jacaerys Targaryen shall inherit of her Ring's territories.

* Little console code use here. I didn't wanted to let the Reach fell in the hands of the Targaryens, as Estalia first sons were from my dynasty. I gave the county and duchy of Highgarden to Cindra by console (gave_title), then gave her the Reach's kingdom as I already took it from Estalia.

Thanks to Cindra's good will, the king managed to levy nearly 70 thousands more Reachmen. With more than a hundred thousands soldiers, the king's victory seemed to be only a matter of time.
The Rosby's army was swiftly crushed in Sow's Horn, saving the Targaryen family resident in the castle, while the main Laena's army was still in her ships, bypassing Dornish coasts.

Just as planned, Laena's forces rushed to King's Landing. 15 thousands ragged warriors besieging the 6 thousands defenders of the Red Keep. Just as few years ago, it would have been a force enough to crushed the Crown's army.
But this day no more. The king had forecasted the destination of Laena's fleet to King's Landing, and thus placed the massive Reach's army around, in a mortal trap.

A miracle would have been needed to save the rebels from the Reach's flood.
The war was won, but the king had other plans in his head. He had to dealt with the treacherous lords of Wend and Rosby.
And they were. The two fell in the hands of the king after the peace's treaty, while Laena rotted in the king's cells.
Though the Mountains Men were still besieging the Eyrie, Jaenar was absolutely not planning giving any help to the Vale, who betrayed him way too many. In fact, some Wildlings Vassals could be more loyals than the actual owners of the Vale...

The 14 March 8410 was finally the of peace within the kingdom. With the Vale and Stepstones occupied with their own wars, the North, the Westerlands and the Trident ruled by young boys, an incredibly loyal Reach and the rest of the Lord Paramounts forced to follow the move, the kingdom seemed to be, finally, in a period of peaceful so much eagerly awaited by the population. After 10 years of madness, the kingdom was finally stable.

The End
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait... The End ? After 8 chapters ?
Yep. Let me explain why :
- It was a first try in AAR, to discover how it works, and I'm fully satisfied in my discovery of this exercise
- I'll not have in the next weeks and months time as much as today, and as AAR's take a lot of time, I prefer stop here...
- ... Especially as I can see that on this forum, readers prefer having a finished AAR than an unfinished one, and I can understand why, so that now I have some sort of happy end, I'll jump on it. My main goal of this AAR was to show you the world I had on this game, and make some nice story with it, and I prefer a short and defined one than a long and "unlimited" tale

So from now, consider this AAR done. I'll continue on my side to play, and maybe one day, you never know, I'll make a new AAR a few centuries later than this one, eh !
Anyway, those 10 years were the hardest I had on this game in a century, the fact I was way too invested into roleplaying a mad and tyrant king shouldn't help out...
For fun fact, Orys is actually in Night's Watch with his dragon Stormcloud, now 17 years strong, actually preparing for the future invasion of the new King Beyond the Wall that shall surely attacks in some months, as he's actually busy uniting the Wildlings.
Oh, and Jaenar, as Arthur Martell's grandson, is the heir of Dorne.
Now, I have to clean all this bordergore. Ugh...

And as a final word, thank you, you, the readers who took the time to read my story despite my... questionable english, that surely not put my AAR in the greatest of this forum !

Well perfectly fine to bring an AAR to close at a natural stopping point.

I hope you enjoyed AAR writing.

Thanks a lot for doing this AAR! :)