• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And don't you forget it :laugh:

thanks, Ikar.

I'm just pointing out the obvious :)

Which version/mod are you playing anyway? I've just checked that it might be probably a problem on your end, since headline says nothing and "the excursion to history" (Chapter I) says nothing neither :eek:o

I'm just pointing out the obvious :)

Which version/mod are you playing anyway? I've just checked that it might be probably a problem on your end, since headline says nothing and "the excursion to history" (Chapter I) says nothing neither :eek:o

Of course! That might be it. I've been playing my test games on TFH with the newest version of CMT. That might explain the difference.
The actual game I'm AARing (how's that for an ugly word?), though, is just plain TFH, because I didn't like the end results.

edited to add: "Nothing neither"?

Another Misterbean AAR. Subbed. I will learn a lot that I can use in my games.

When I played Japan: I liked to make Corps out of the all three division templates at start. 1 Quad INF Div, 1 Tri INF Div, 1 Support Division. It makes for a well balanced Corps for fighting in SE Asia. Would probably have Problems with Soviets, but should more than hold its own early in war. (Never had to fight Tanks)

Not with 35 divisions and without amphibious invasions, they can't. I usually need about 3 months or so.
It has been an eternity since I played Japan for the last time.
35 divisions, 3 months... for China ?!! Hut ab ! :cool:
I'd love to see that.

It has been an eternity since I played Japan for the last time.
35 divisions, 3 months... for China ?!! Hut ab ! :cool:
I'd love to see that.

contrary to SF/ICE, in TFH you only fight Shanxi and Natchi. The others stay out of the fight. That's actually rather unfortunate, since that means you need to DoW all the others if you want total domination over China. Can you say "threat"?

Another Misterbean AAR. Subbed. I will learn a lot that I can use in my games.

When I played Japan: I liked to make Corps out of the all three division templates at start. 1 Quad INF Div, 1 Tri INF Div, 1 Support Division. It makes for a well balanced Corps for fighting in SE Asia. Would probably have Problems with Soviets, but should more than hold its own early in war. (Never had to fight Tanks)

welcome, I hope to entertain.

DaiNipponTeikoku_zps5fca41dc.jpg

Chapter 3: Marco Polo.

n5xs.png

One of the fun little trivia about this part of the world is that day- and night time are reversed. The time indicated is actually European Time. Something to keep in mind when starting a big operation, like this one.

9b0u.png

I fire the Marco Polo decision and immediately set all my combat fleets to completely blockade China. While this doesn’t have the same effect as in other PI titles, it does ensure that no Chinese naval squadron or convoy will escape my notice.

9g.png

The opening phase is simply bashing your way through their first line of defense. Once you break through here, especially in the cities of Beiping and Tianjin, there is almost no way for the Chinese to recover or to set up a second line of defense.
The 1st Army marches into Nationalist China, while the 2nd Army is tasked with forcing Shanxi to surrender.

The Cinese do occasionally try to counter-attack valiantly, but those pin-pricks never achieve anything other than delay the inevitable.

Within 1 day the battle of Tianjin is over, with the others following quickly, including Beiping.

5khk.png

I swear to God that Japan had nothing to do with this, contrary to popular belief in the foreign embassies in Tokyo. (Their presumed bodies are found on a remote, uninhabited Island in the early 21st century)

qxg.png

My first naval battle of the game. They will actually get away several times, clearly proving that the IJN is still severely lacking in combat strength. Against the USA, I should be able to at least sink some of theses old, small ships.

p4tp.png

That is why this is most welcome. Grand Fleet is, more than anything else, a boost to my self-esteem (though you can’t underestimate the 15% org regain bonus in a long campaign such as this one).

1o2.png

The defenders of Zhoulu offer a surprisingly strong resistance, and only fall after a week of grueling combat where they end up being attacked from 3 sides at once. The Cinese general seems to realise the importance of this province, since this is the hinge between my 2 armies, and uses the river crossings and the hopeless terrain to great effect.

gvpg.png

At last! Marines! I immediately start training 5 SNLF divisions. I will need at least double that number by the time I go to war with the Allies.

8j1a.png

Taiyuan is surrounded and attacked, clearing the way to create Mengkukuo. Another puppet and less worries about partisans behind my frontline.

97e7.png

My progress so far. It looks slow, but I’m in no hurry to finish it in one month as some suggested. I don’t plan to settle just for the Chinese coast, thank you very much. So I need to add a wargoal. I just haven’t decided. Conquest of puppet? Since I joined the Axis at this point, whatever I do will have serious repercussions in the USA. Maybe it was a mistake to join so early, but the supply and research bonuses (+5% each) are quite nice to have.

That is all for now. See you next week!

Last edited:
great advance, you aure steamrolling them!

intresting update!

Thank you. Hope to keep you interested.

great advance, you aure steamrolling them!

Once the initial line has been breached, all it takes is to keep pushing. don't give them time to recover. I've had several fights where they are still disorganised. I wish I could encircle and destroy them, but I doubt if my (mainly infantry) army is fast enough to pull it off.

What's your plan for China?
- Puppet
- Coastal regions
- Both coastal regions and puppet?

I will definitely want more than just the coastal regions, since that is only there to help the AI. So I will either puppet them or conquer them. Probably puppet, in order to reduce my threat towards the US somewhat.

Subscribed. I am looking forward to more

Welcome. I've mentioned this before, but I plan to update every weekend, so next one should be just a week away.

I swear to God that Japan had nothing to do with this, contrary to popular belief in the foreign embassies in Tokyo. (Their presumed bodies are found on a remote, uninhabited Island in the early 21st century)
Liar, liar ! Pants on fire ! :D

Jokes aside, a very nice update.
However, the IJN clearly needs to improve its capabilities...

Once the initial line has been breached, all it takes is to keep pushing. don't give them time to recover. I've had several fights where they are still disorganised. I wish I could encircle and destroy them, but I doubt if my (mainly infantry) army is fast enough to pull it off.
That's the main concern with infantry armies. Some independant light tank brigades or armored trains could be useful... sometimes.
The progression looks good though I'm a little bit worried about the length of your communication lines and the small amount of divisions to secure them.
May be puppeting might be a good idea in this configuration...
On the other hand, establishing/securing a direct path to Indochina would be nice too (and historical... Oups, sorry !)

Honestly, without seeing HoI for 10 days I have to say that LARM in China is not a good idea. Even if a competent human Japan sets up a bunch of convoys going to captured Chinese ports, mountains will kill LARM speed. Add mud and frozen to this, combined with expenses for fuel and whatnot...

CAV serves much better in China. And if our experienced Belgian has 50 combat divisions, he has nothing to be afraid of (unless Chinese are competent enough to build a bunch of CLs for the few next years).

He has won already, no worries :)

Liar, liar ! Pants on fire ! :D

Jokes aside, a very nice update.
However, the IJN clearly needs to improve its capabilities...

That's the main concern with infantry armies. Some independant light tank brigades or armored trains could be useful... sometimes.
The progression looks good though I'm a little bit worried about the length of your communication lines and the small amount of divisions to secure them.
May be puppeting might be a good idea in this configuration...
On the other hand, establishing/securing a direct path to Indochina would be nice too (and historical... Oups, sorry !)

Thank God at least one person got the reference :)
puppeting is the healthiest thing to do in many ways, except for 1: conquering Natchi and setting up a secure anti-partisan net WILL solve a lot of Japan's resource problems, if not all of them.

As for the fastest way to do it, would be what some people have suggested: build some mountaineers and some marines in time for Marco Polo. If you look closely, a lot of China's VP provinces are located on or near the coast.
So, why not do that?
First of all, I run the risk of accidentally overthrowing Natchi before I can set a second wargoal.
Secondly, this way, my ground forces will gain more experience. You have to remember that, historically, Japan had been at war since 1937 NON-STOP in some of the planet's worst infra and terrain. I could hold off on capturing the last VP, and keep the war going until I go up against the Allies and the US, but to me, that's gamey. This way, I can make up somewhat for lost opportunities.

I might remember wrongly, but can't you add both Coastal and puppet as war-goals over time?

So you get the coast but leave most mountains to puppet-China?

I might remember wrongly, but can't you add both Coastal and puppet as war-goals over time?

So you get the coast but leave most mountains to puppet-China?

If I remember correctly, yes, you can, with time, so you can add the extras war goals