• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a RoI add-on. The problem with the Charlemagne tab is that there is probably no one with Arberian culture in the game. The Scots have a bishop in Alt Clut, if the Reconquest fires, you have the option to get commander with the "Catillian" culture (I just got the last one), and there is no Arberian.

I checked the relevant section of the wiki and there's no melting pot for Arberian. So, I think the only way to get this culture is to start after 936. (IE: It's not possible from the Charlemagne 769 start.)

Okay, I have a question concerning inheritance.

Okay, so I'm playing a Christian Norwegian Emperor of the Arabian Empire. Started of in Norway, conquered England. Joined first Crusade for Egypt , then chose to play as the new Crusader Queen of Egypt. That character expanded until she could form the Arabian empire. Next crusade rolls around and I install one of my daughters as the queen of Persia (she is materially married). Now, her first son (my grandson) who still in my court is now the heir to the kingdom of Persia.

Great! so I think. I land that grandson of mine as a duke somewhere, so that when his mother dies, he becomes a king under the Arabian Empire. I've heard that Vassels don't become independent through inheritance so long as you hold a title that higher than their highest title. Emperor is higher than king, so there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Wrong! Upon coming into his inheritance, the Kingdom of Persia stays independent. Worse! he has now taken all the lands and titles I gave him with him.

Can someone explain what went wrong?

Okay, I have a question concerning inheritance.

Okay, so I'm playing a Christian Norwegian Emperor of the Arabian Empire. Started of in Norway, conquered England. Joined first Crusade for Egypt , then chose to play as the new Crusader Queen of Egypt. That character expanded until she could form the Arabian empire. Next crusade rolls around and I install one of my daughters as the queen of Persia (she is materially married). Now, her first son (my grandson) who still in my court is now the heir to the kingdom of Persia.

Great! so I think. I land that grandson of mine as a duke somewhere, so that when his mother dies, he becomes a king under the Arabian Empire. I've heard that Vassels don't become independent through inheritance so long as you hold a title that higher than their highest title. Emperor is higher than king, so there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Wrong! Upon coming into his inheritance, the Kingdom of Persia stays independent. Worse! he has now taken all the lands and titles I gave him with him.

Can someone explain what went wrong?

It's not that you have to have a title higher than king (although obviously you need to be higher to be able to keep them as your vassal) - it's that your grandson has to already have a title under you that's at least equal to the new one he gets. In other words, if you gave him a kingdom instead of a duchy, he'd stay your vassal even after inheriting Persia.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I just experienced something I haven't seen in my 1800h of CK2. Do titular titles work differently than others while under absolute-cognatic? I am currently doing a fun playthrough for the "Survivor" achievement where I have managed to create the titular kingdom of Canaries and owns nothing else but the Canarian islands. When I changed my inheritance law to absolute-cognatic I suddenly got the warning that I would lose titles on inheritance, even though there is no land for my eldest daughter to inherit. Before I changed the law both titular titles would go to my eldest son. I have restarted the game and it still says that my daughter will get the title. I worry that the title will get lost on inheritance since she will hold no land. It wouldn't be a huge loss, but I would be bummed out about it.

canaries_inheritance.jpg

While I can't tell what they are, your screenshot pretty clearly shows that you do own other titles, and you still have gavelkind, so yeah, if you have absolute cognatic, if you have a son and a daughter, gavelkind will divide your titles just as if you had 2 sons. You have more than just 1 son and 1 daughter, though, so all of your children should inherit a title until you run out of titles. That's just how gavelkind works--whether or not a title is titular or not has nothing to do with it.

While I can't tell what they are, your screenshot pretty clearly shows that you do own other titles, and you still have gavelkind, so yeah, if you have absolute cognatic, if you have a son and a daughter, gavelkind will divide your titles just as if you had 2 sons. You have more than just 1 son and 1 daughter, though, so all of your children should inherit a title until you run out of titles. That's just how gavelkind works--whether or not a title is titular or not has nothing to do with it.
No, I have one "real" title (county of Canarias) and two titular (High Chiefdom of Canaries, Kingdom of Canaries). The ones below are my claims which is a weak claim on the Holy Roman Empire + a strong claim on the Kingdom of Mali + lesser african titles. You can clearly see in my screenshot that my demesne is 1/12 with 0 vassals. Also, as stated, I wasn't going to lose titles to my other sons. As soon as I changed to absolute cognatic it told me that I would lose titles on inheritance.

Last edited:
Do titular titles work differently than others while under absolute-cognatic?

Two questions, so i can check the save file (unless if DPS wants to do it) :
Can you upload your save file ? If yes, please do.
Do you use relevant mods ?

Can you back up your save and console-kill yourself? Sometimes the succession calculation / alerts get bugged, and the things they are warning about don't happen in practice.

EDIT - I just reread the OP and you said you were going for an achievement. Which implies ironman, which means no console. Ah well.

Two questions, so i can check the save file (unless if DPS wants to do it) :
Can you upload your save file ? If yes, please do.
Do you use relevant mods ?
Can you even open Ironman save files? Thought you couldn't. If I wasn't playing Ironman I would just have waited for my death and in the case that I did lose the title I would just console it back.

Anyway, mods I use:
A Bigger Interface
!Bigger Lists
Patrum Scuta (Ironman)
Patrum Scuta (Alt Shields) - Link

All achievement compatible.

Attachments

• Ironman_Angermanland.ck2
    21,1 MB · Views: 0
EDIT - ... Which implies ironman, which means no console. Ah well.

Can be unzipped and edited to not being ironman anymore to test it.
PS: Have to go out now, but can probably test the file in an hour or so, if noone else had found an explanation by then.

Can be unzipped and edited to not being ironman anymore to test it.
PS: Have to go out now, but can probably test the file in an hour or so, if noone else had found an explanation by then.
Eh, did it myself. Played around with the gender laws and no matter what I set them to I lost the title on inheritance. Even gave myself some other titular duchy titles and they where all lost on inheritance while if I gave myself the duchy of Marrakech it wasn't. Guess that's just how titular titles works in gavelkind, a bit weird if you ask me. So the initial bug might have been that inheritance wasn't updated when I formed the titular kingdom of Canaries. (Though, I would say that losing titular titles on inheritance is a bug since I can't see why that would be intended. I guess that gavelkind is calculated based on if the lower titles have your capital as a de jure province.)

I guess I will have to convert to Islam or give up on being tribal to keep the title.

Last edited:
Eh, did it myself....

May i ask how you created the titular duchy title in the first place ?
That's not in the game as far as i know. There might lie the cause for the problem.

edit. Okay i see it's d_zemigalians.
Hmm...

May i ask how you created the titular duchy title in the first place ?
That's not in the game as far as i know. There might lie the cause for the problem.

edit. Okay i see it's d_zemigalians.
Hmm...
Yeah, I just subjugated Zemigalians early game for the title. It's the only easy to get titular duchy that I know of (the only one except for kabulistan in 769) and I often subjugate them early game just to get a duchy title. While we are on the topic, why is there even a titular duchy of Zemigalians? There's several titular duchies for the lithuanian tribes in the game, but only Zemigalians exist in any start date. I guess they removed the others in some update/dlc but why did they leave Zemigalians?

when I formed the titular kingdom of Canaries.

Hmm...i wonder why the kingdom is titular.
As you need three duchy titles for that (or relam size of 35), it's likely assumed that the created kingdom should be a de-jure title.
Did you have three titular duchy titles when you created the custom kingdom ?

Whatever. I can only assume that titular duchy and titular kingdom titles don't go well together.
No other idea right now.

Hmm...i wonder why the kingdom is titular.
As you need three duchy titles for that (or relam size of 35), it's likely assumed that the created kingdom should be a de-jure title.
Did you have three titular duchy titles when you created the custom kingdom ?

Whatever. I can only assume that titular duchy and titular kingdom titles don't go well together.
No other idea right now.
If the higher title of the duchies you use to create a new realm title exist they never transfer. The other two duchies I used was duchy of Sous and Siljmasa(or whatever its called) while the Kingdom of Marrakech was still held by a Sunni. Same with Custom Empires E.g if you create an empire while holding The kingdoms of Aquitaine and Aragon and the empire of France exists, only Aragon will be de jure Kingdom of the newly created empire.

Last edited:
If the higher title of the duchies you use to create a new realm title exist they never transfer.

Thanks. Good to know.

Yeah, I just subjugated Zemigalians early game for the title. ...

So i tried to recreate the scenario with the count of Zemigalia three times...
and to make it short, one son inherited the kingdom title and a duchy title (didn't matter if the titular or a de jure title) and the
other two duchy titles, which were shown as going to the other two sons, got destroyed.
I had changed game rule for de jure requirement once, but it didn't make a difference.
Haven't played for a while. Wonder that not more complained and posted a bug report. At least i couldn't find one.
While i'm usually a bit sceptical at these claims, there appear for sure to be one or more bugs in that story.
Just don't know where.

*a bit later*
Tested the same with the feudal count of Capua and duchy of Ancona, Ferrara and Spoleto and Gavelkind and again the two
duchy titles got destroyed.

So more or less confirmed to not be a tribal or particular succession type caused issue.
The weird part was, that despite the two titles destroyed, the two other sons were still displayed as heirs to them...
IU8LdFJ.gif
b5Iplui.gif
po0jOPp.gif

Maybe the de jure requirement game rule is simply bugged and always on "required".
Though, that wouldn't explain why your titular title gets destroyed, but maybe the bug doesn't differentiate...

Hmm..well that can't be intended.
Seriously if they don't fix this game....*grumble*

Last edited:
No, I have one "real" title (county of Canarias) and two titular (High Chiefdom of Canaries, Kingdom of Canaries). The ones below are my claims which is a weak claim on the Holy Roman Empire + a strong claim on the Kingdom of Mali + lesser african titles. You can clearly see in my screenshot that my demesne is 1/12 with 0 vassals. Also, as stated, I wasn't going to lose titles to my other sons. As soon as I changed to absolute cognatic it told me that I would lose titles on inheritance.

Oops, sorry, the UI there threw me off.

I think that this probably is a bug--but OTOH, you had to do some really, well, unusual stuff to end up with just 1 county title, plus a titular duchy, plus a titular kingdom.

Playing a 1066 game, AI Cumania reformed tengri. While I'm staying old tengri branch, I noticed that the reformation button is still there in the religion tab.
Is it possible to re-reform tengri again if I grab holy lands back and boost MA high? If not I'm going massive converted.