• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
I think it weights your total INT vs. target's total INT.

And: Its quite cheap in vanilla anyway. If you want safer bets to kill someone, use the plot if you can. :)

Question to the mercenaries:

In my game there are two companies -all in all- in other games there are 12. Is this a bug or can I increase the number in my save game?

It depends on where your capital is. If you are on Iceland you cannot hire Arab mercs, etc.

Okay, I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm sure the answer is fairly obvious to most of the people here, so it probably will seem ridiculous. But that's also the reason I'm asking it!

Anyway, onto my question...

How do I make a general courtier into a bishop? Also, how (assuming it is possible) can I make my heir(s) join the church and become bishops?

My Galician king had way too much "fun" with his French queen and they've been popping out babies left and right. I need to put some of those boys into the church before gavelkind succession breaks up my beautiful demesne.

Thanks in advance for the help!
You need Free Investiture. You can then assign bishops' successors via the religion screen.
To my knowledge, you cannot make heirs bishops, as that's a rather gamey way to remove them from succession.

Thanks for the quick reply. So, just out of curiosity, the event where one of your sons wants to be "given the responsibilities of a fiefdom" which carries the option to "encourage a career in the Church" will not make him a bishop?
I think that might be an exception. It is a rather rare event though in my experience.

How fast do levies replenish after a war ends? I see castle levies replenish at 1.25% and temples at .25% base (/day, month or year I don't know) while at war, does this continue after the war ends or do they instantly replenish? Do levies replenish while the county is occupied?

I'm playing Abyssinia, my Sunni neighbor declared holy war on his Shiite neighbor and is now having his ass handed to him. I think I would like to take one of his four provinces in a de Jure war (not all his territory, I would like to avoid a holy war on myself) which would put a crimp in both his levies and finances (3/10 holdings including a coastal city). I am hoping to do this right after his intended victim finishes pummeling him as the province I want is occupied ATM. Is this the cakewalk I am hoping for or am I going to be sorry I tried this?
The base is 5% per year. This can be increased by the training ground buildings.
However, it should be noted that any given troop type will always reinforce at a minimum on 1 unit per month, which is often considerably higher than 5%. If you've got a force of 120 heavy inf from a castle for example, it'd effectively be reinforcing at 10% per year.

So, about scores and such.

Score only comes from characters you´ve played. Fine. However, will a fraction of prestige from other characters of your dinasty influence the prestige of your characters as well? I mean, will my son only inherit part of my prestige? Prestige of brothers, uncles etc etc is irrelevant?
Every newborn gets 10% of their dynasty's prestige (which is calculated by the highest title each member has held upon death)

Another question. What's the best way to spread my dynasty short of conquering? None of my relatives have claims that can be pressed and no one seems to want to enter a matrinal marriage with my daughters. Will it be easier if I keep raising my dynasties prestige?
Matrilineal marriages are supposed to be very hard to get, so you're not likely to have much luck there.
Yes, increasing dynastic prestige will make people likelier to accept your marriage proposals.

I guess this means while pressing alt you press 2 then 1. Results negative
21 has to be typed on the NumPad.

Shift + what? :confused: May I point out that I have the steam version vanilla and fully patched. I also use a simple qwerty keyboard with english language set up :). Steam may have nothing to do but from personnal experience, I have trouble on many games from it to enable tilde (~) compared to the ones I installed manually...
Try pressing whatever button is left of your 1 key. If that doesn't work, try holding shift.

Technically, I think the console is opened by the ` key, not the ~ key. On my keyboard, they're the same key, but perhaps yours is different.
It is also opened by § (left of 1 on Swedish keyboards. That plus Shift on Norwegian and Danish keyboards). I assume the reason ` also works is that some Paradox devs use the British layout.

Yes, if he inherits a title on the same tier as yours, he'll become independent without any sort of war. To avoid it you can preemptively revoke his title, either by plot, or goading him into rebelling against you, which will give you free revokation upon victory. Another way to prevent the issue would simply be conquering Meath before the ruler dies.

Thank you very much for the information and suggested strategies. It's going to be tough to goad him into attacking me since he loves me so much for pressing his claim, and then the war will be tough as well since the rest of my vassals are so grumpy with me right now and unwilling to provide full levies, but I still think that's my best bet...I don't see a claim to the duchy of meath coming my way any time soon. What are some good ways to make him hate me without losing too much prestige or affecting the opinion of my other vassals?
Raise his, and only his, levies, and just leave them raised. It'll take quite a while for his opinion of you to degrade by any major amount though (-5 opinion per year)

Hey, where's my ships? according to Wikia coastal baronies and cities are supposed to have them as part of their base strength. Did that change with a patch and now I have to build harbors?
Unless you're playing a mod you should definitely have ships, yes. Do note that they're called up with a different button than regular levies.

Oh, and why use the Wikia when you can use the MediaWiki Crusader Kings II Wiki? ;)

When ingame, click the button called "dejure empire mapmode". This will show the various empires in the game, and if you hold 80% of the area, and are the right culture, you can create them. Use the "find title" function to see what culture you neeed to be to create each empire. Aside from these, there's also the latin empire. I can't remember how to form that one, so just use the find title to see the requirements for that one.
There's also a list of empires, and their creation conditions, on the wiki.

maybe it has been asked 200 or more times :D

but i wanna ask again how to reduce the decadence ? i know that you can reduce it by giving lands or titles to your son .. but there are other methods ?
Celebrating Ramadan lowers it quite a bit I think.

I read the answer in this thread but forgot what it was and have no idea what page it is - To mark someone as a person of interest there is an impossible to find button, most likely on their character screen. Where exactly is it?
Right click on their portrait I think.

After finally getting my head around the holdings in counties and so on, I had a question about how people do this. Is it better to hold all the baronies in a province for your demesne, or to hold the capital one, with heaps of counties? I figure you would have less direct vassals by holding less counties, which would be a good thing, but you couldn't build buildings in them.
I prefer holding only the capital, and possibly some castles within the counties. There's little point to holding cities or temples directly due to the tax penalty (-75%).
The advantage of holding the counties rather than all holdings is that you'll get a lot more tax, as city and temple taxes are considerably higher than noble taxes (which start at 0%). There's also essentially no risk associated, as barons cannot rebel.

More info on managing your domain and similar is available on the Crusader Kings II Wiki.

i started a game as an italian duke; I then found out that while in the HRE, i'm not part of the de jure HRE.
And italy isn't becoming a de jure part of the HRE either, according to the mapmode.
Is there a way to get italy to become part of HRE dejure? (i'm not interested in expanding into duchies outside italy)
You'll have to create the Kingdom of Italy for it to happen.

I'm playing as Dansih Kingdom and managed to marry my cousin to polish queen in normal marriage. Resulting son is now heir to kingdom of Poland and of my dynasty. Do I need to nominate the same son to my own heir to get Poland under my control or is it enough that ruler of Poland is of my dynasty?
If you want to rule it directly, you'll have to ensure he's your heir as well. If you're fine with only having an alliance, you can have someone else be heir to Denmark.