Cradle of Civilization Expansion for EU4 Focuses on Muslim Empires

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But none of these countries has any connection to ancient Mesopotamia.
The entire geographical region is known as the cradle of civilisation but your right it's kind of strange to link people's, religions and kingdoms that existed in Europa's timeframe to the ancient history of the region a lot changed inbetween. It's not completely inaccurate but there is something jarring about the name.

I never play new world counties or colonizers. I had no interest in buying that DLC.

I didn't come to the forum to complain about it. Some people really enjoy this, tho, so why moan about it. Let them have their fun, I'll get my DLC sooner or later.

Years later, when deeply on sale I picked them up, because, why not?

I'm actually interested this part of the world, and have done a lot of modding to fix it in the past. I'm happy to see this part of the world getting so attention, though I think they still get the Ottomans wrong.

As for the price, I'm gonna spend days playing this. Weeks even. The cost per hour is well worth what I'll spend over the years. Heck, it's less than going out to dinner for a few hours, or going to a movie.

See I

I think there has been a fundamental misunderstanding. I am happy to pay for dlc and have done many times in the past. I love paradox games and would love to see them reach their full potential. In my opinion the types of gameplay mechanics and tweeks they have implemented in perhaps the last two to three dlc's have not delivered what I personally am looking for out of dlc for Europa Universalis. Like I said in my original post something that fundamentally changes the way you play the game, that makes playing Muslim nations different from playing other types of nations on an in-depth level. Comparable to how dramatically the 30 years war impacts Europe, playing a nation in the HRE or even playing as a horde. Rather than new modifiers, sliders and one press buttons. By the way don't see how I'm throwing a fit I've been calm through this whole thing and props to Paradox if this is what the majority of people want out of the dlc.
I have to agree with you, that Paradox did a great job in the past. But the last DLC was a bit meh in that part (3rd Rome), while I still find MoH being a pretty good DLC, but already a bit worse than most of the previous one (in relation to their price).

And this looks far away from something immersing and completly different to what I have played before. This is called the Persia Update, but Persia gets a pretty boring governemnt form.
  • The interaction for reduced building costs is mostly useless (monarch power a lot more valuable than gold)
  • The second one for reduced development cost a rare occurence (only a small chance of a non shia country having a shia province, though one could sell a shia province...)
  • And an interaction giving claims on bordering non shia provinces which might be sometimes useful, but pretty useless in the lategame
I don't feel like I will be trying to rule Persia, but just some "European country which ended up somewhere in this region".

Because people are allowed to have voices, complaints, concerns, questions, etc. whether positive or negative, and they sure are not going to be heard by calling up Paradox headquarters on the phone to speak with the Devs or management team. Again, why must people resort to the foolishness of insults and name-calling? Besides, entitled children are usually spoiled children who always get what they want

Or a more sensible solution is to just not buy the product.

It's not 'insults or name-calling'. I'm legitimately questioning why people spend their time complaining about 5 or 10 bucks for a non-essential product. The fact that people are allowed to speak their minds doesn't change the fact that they sound like entitled children.

Or a more sensible solution is to just not buy the product.

It's not 'insults or name-calling'. I'm legitimately questioning why people spend their time complaining about 5 or 10 bucks for a non-essential product. The fact that people are allowed to speak their minds doesn't change the fact that they sound like entitled children.

I mean I for one I am already not going to buy the product.

Funnily enough though companies like Paradox tend to be interested in why people who have consistently bought their games and dlc suddenly decide not too, or at least they should be. Hence why they consistently put out survey's and feedback requests.

The only person in this thread thus far that I've seen act like a child is you mate, a person who cannot wrap his head around the fact that people who care about this game and to an extent this company (which by the way I think really is pretty great) might actually have an opinion on how they might improve or do something differently. At the end of the day Paradox can take that on board or completely ignore it as they have the best understanding of how to move forward or rather the consequences of how they move forward rest on them that doesn't mean we can't comment on it in the mean time.

I have to say that this unannounced feature for advisors
ss_ed672844a3501473a535ca4d9e545f177d15beaa.jpg

interests me a lot more than all those government forms. The promoting seems a nice feature for late game or when I get a lv 1 advisor, while I would want this particular advisor as lv2. The culture and religion make me wonder wether there is more flavour or a mechanic for advisors coming.

If I'm counting correct we get 4 new similiar government forms (Timurids were not announced yet):
My problem with these is just, that we then will have 5 government forms (+Russia), where you always have 3 interactions. It doesn't feel that unique anymore, and I fear that even more will come.

I will wait, but at the moment it is: "Nice, but not yet worth 20€". Maybe they will suprise me with the advisors etc pp.

Regarding an estimation for a release date. If one counts one dev diary per unannounced feature we have:
  • Mameluck government
  • Iqta government
  • Advisor changes
  • "Exploit development" (lower dev for gold)
  • the unit pack
  • ???
  • the final patch notes
That's at least 6 weeks.

Where did you get those images??

Hmm, I tried to use the process of calculating points like Paradox does, And I could very well be wrong about how the paid features are categorized, but this is what I got.

Major Features: Merchant Trade Policies and Spread of Islam (these are part of the same mechanic), Islamic Schools and New Muslim mechanics, Unique/Special Government Forms for 2 Nations and Persian nations: 18 points (No, you should not be separating out each unique government, that is cheating your own system to get as many points as possible)
Medium Features: Pashas/Janissaries, Professionalism, Drilling, Promoting Advisors: 12 points
Minor Features: plurality of different things, I will say it equals 9 points (7 minor paid features of some kind)

All together: 36 Points
39/20= 1.95 points of value per $
39/15= 2.6 points per $
If my categorizing is correct (though admittedly, it probably isn't), using the dev's Formula, we are mathematically being cheated out of money compared to Expansions like the Cossacks (2.33 points per $ for $20? compared to 1.95 points for COC) Using the Prize Policy Thread. So someone explain to me again why we should be content with a $20 price tag?? (Honestly asking)

It is a really good value at $15 dollars, but if you don't like it, meet in the middle! *39/17=2.29*
Or a developer please respond using the actual values of the features to show that we are getting our $20 worth.

It would appear that PDS thought it wise to announce this expansion without actually announcing all of its features. So I'll withhold final judgement until we actually know what the expansion contains.

Right now though, I have to say that the Stellaris team is doing the best work in terms of making value-for-money expansions while still managing to put all the most important stuff in the free patches. Utopia and Synthetic Dawn are both A+ releases and their accompanying patches improved that game immensely.

It would appear that PDS thought it wise to announce this expansion without actually announcing all of its features. So I'll withhold final judgement until we actually know what the expansion contains.

Right now though, I have to say that the Stellaris team is doing the best work in terms of making value-for-money expansions while still managing to put all the most important stuff in the free patches. Utopia and Synthetic Dawn are both A+ releases and their accompanying patches improved that game immensely.

I agree. It is still a little early to know all the features that will be coming in CoC, not to mention how I categorized each feature is not necessarily their actual categories. However, it is important to keep them honest if my guesses on the features are accurate. It would be nice to hear it from the devs on their value-for-money for this expansion.

For anyone reading this comment (before it probably gets deleted), I have had four comments deleted because I was asking the Devs one question. Is their pricing being honest? and if there is a location I can discuss it further or at all. And if a dev sees this, I am not trying to do anything wrong, but you are not telling me anything either! I am asking a couple of curiosity-based questions, that you are unwilling to respond to, which I have no idea why??
Again, I am not trying to do anything wrong, but since you obviously think I am, please tell me what it is, so I can stop doing whatever it is that is wrong...

I will delete this post myself if you tell me what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Some people in this community really should use their mind and think before complaining like a confused child..

Since the release of EU IV, Paradox is doing their best in mainting and improving the game, time by time, to ensure the community happiness but their own survival as well. Everyone with common sense should understand that. By buying these DLC's you are supporting the company and so can expect more upcoming updates, but it is your own choice. They always give free content when releasing a new DLC. This is the system for years and they won't just change it.

Please use your mind before complaining and give atleast some informative arguments.
Visit the Paradox Prize Policy if you don't understand why it costs $19,99

What? I need to buy a DLC to understand your point about DLC??

Unfortunately the base game is about as barebones as can be. Adding crap like machine empires (which are terribad anyway) to a game with no gameplay is just a reskin. I don't call that a value.

Stellaris needs a ground-up core rework of just about everything in the game. It's over a year since release and not much more than some numbers have changed on the same flawed systems. Everything about that game -- warfare, economy, diplomacy, even actual gameplay goals -- are so mundane that it's hard to even call it a game. But that's a big digression. I hope Stellaris all works out but right now I have little faith in the direction of the game and my patience is running thin with the apprehensiveness of the design team to fix the game. It doesn't help that the community is largely responsible for pointing out issues (the missiles stuff was found by a player doing tests with no access to the base code, for example) and offering solutions but sometimes Wiz seems like he'd rather ignore them than swallow his pride and listen.

EU4 however is kicking ass. :)

Unfortunately the base game is about as barebones as can be. Adding crap like machine empires (which are terribad anyway) to a game with no gameplay is just a reskin. I don't call that a value.

Stellaris needs a ground-up core rework of just about everything in the game. It's over a year since release and not much more than some numbers have changed on the same flawed systems. Everything about that game -- warfare, economy, diplomacy, even actual gameplay goals -- are so mundane that it's hard to even call it a game. But that's a big digression. I hope Stellaris all works out but right now I have little faith in the direction of the game and my patience is running thin with the apprehensiveness of the design team to fix the game.

EU4 however is kicking ass. :)

Wow something we a 100% agree on.

What? I need to buy a DLC to understand your point about DLC??

As I said, it is your own choice.
Just be aware that when you buy a DLC, you are also supporting the company, some people only think about the content they gain as of Paradox is supposed to deliver everyone of what they want for a 'cheap' price. That is what I pointed out.

This thread is NOT a place to discuss what you think of our DLC policy. If you can't stay on topic don't post at all, simple as that. Further derailment will result in the thread being locked.

As I said, it is your own choice.
Just be aware that when you buy a DLC, you are also supporting the company, some people only think about the content they gain as of Paradox is supposed to deliver everyone of what they want for a 'cheap' price. That is what I pointed out.

I dont think you got the joke. It said if you have Common Sense you will understand it.

I buy ALL the DLC on release. I get the point of supporting the company and all. You can say that some of them are questionable value. But in general PDX games have so much play value that it is still good value.

The entire geographical region is known as the cradle of civilisation but your right it's kind of strange to link people's, religions and kingdoms that existed in Europa's timeframe to the ancient history of the region a lot changed inbetween. It's not completely inaccurate but there is something jarring about the name.

Think it's suppose to be an alternate history thing, the trailer was very "we will rise again". In the hands of player you probably will and remind the rest of the world why you are the Cradle of Civilisation under Persia, Mamaluks or reclaim the legacy of Timur ect :)

Status
Not open for further replies.